Jump to content

Parker Owens

Signature Author
  • Posts

    19,079
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Parker Owens

  1. Parker Owens

    Rescue

    I tried to imagine what a street would be like for a kid outside the big cities. Rural poverty and rural tragedies often go unnoticed until there's big news that makes the National at 10. Rural runaways can be like that, too. Eric has slipped under the radar, but we see what he's really made of this time.
  2. For Eric, he might have some reassessing to do. How long can he stay? Finally, there is a place that feels safe enough on his own terms. Maybe managing just one relationship, just one day at a time is enough...
  3. No spoilers. Andersons? Sometimes you learn about something indirectly. Sometimes not. Anyhow, Eustace is likely to take the world as it comes, and mind his own business. Sometimes farmers survive that way. At least Eric seems to want to stay there, and that's half the battle isn't it?
  4. Eustace may not know what to make of Eric, but then, he has lenses of his own through which to see the world. But getting work, pay and the occasional good word is a vastly new and better experience for Eric,
  5. JUNE 29 I woke up this morning from a strange dream. I had the definite sensation of being held, comforted in someone’s arms. It felt so good. I don’t remember anything specific about the dream, like how I got to be held like that or anything. I just know how good it felt. I’ve had this dream once before, when I slept in the church, back on the other side of the mountains. It seems forever ago now. Did the dream have something to do with sleeping under a roof? I can’t say, but I wanted so
  6. And yet he knows to do work as best as he can. He second guesses himself because that's how he's reacted to authority or supervision - or maybe because of the nature of so much of his supervision. If he gets paid at the end of the week, that would be a very good thing. And maybe that prospect will make it worth the risk of trying to stay put.
  7. Oh, dear. A coverup? Maybe it will all come out eventually, when there is more space between even the event and everyone's pain. But won't Twoey be in danger? A quick hospital death would be in the interests of those who need the truth smothered in its bed. David may really really need serious psych help if he's just not eating. And what about Twoey himself? Or his mom, who must be frantic? Wondering if she'll encounter David, Matty or Eric, and go off the rails herself.
  8. I'm first. Walk is flat-out awesome. I love the imagery, the easy way you set and paint the scene and the day. And the hand-in-hand line, repeated, which to me is so simple and open and loving. At least, that's what your words let me see. Thief makes me angry that someone hurt you. Makes me want to throttle someone, and share the pain with you. Gone is desolation, resignation, sorrow, rolled insistently together. Lovers? How could I not savor that? This is a treat for the first moments of Halloween. Thank you.
  9. Parker Owens

    Prompt 270

    Oh, you had me sniffling and reaching for tissues. How hard it would be for Levi! Great thinking. Will look for 'Shysucker' one day, and know who it is...What a great story.
  10. And you had to save the whip crack for the last lines! Very well orchestrated, perfectly tuned, and beautifully done. Now what? I have the feeling that the Icarus Confederacy is just a tiny thread, about to be blown into oblivion by forces far too great for it to withstand. Unless they somehow come up with a way to match the wer's seemingly limitless and mighty powers, they're just figures to chase, and Tris is doomed. Can't wait to see what you cook up. Sorry for the mixed metaphor...
  11. Thanks so much for your review! Eric probably won't have enough to eat on one meal a day, but he's safe and has a place to hole up where Mr. Whitley doesn't seem to go very often. Trust is something that will build slowly, I think, on both sides. Not sure how Eustace Whitley views Eric; Eric can't really see that.
  12. Eric has a learning curve ahead of him. Unfamiliar work, and hard work, too. But with that, maybe a chance at creating a kernel of self-worth that no one can take away.
  13. I think the trust is going to be a two-way street. But in any case, Eric is better off where he is than before. Even if it means dealing with sheep.
  14. I think it must be astonishing for Eric to be appreciated. He deals with it better some times than others, but it can't be a bad thing, can it? As I mentioned in the story thread, Eustace Whitley was a fun character to write for. He combines the traits of a number of small family farmers I've known over the years. Glad to know you want to see more...there's plenty.
  15. Parker Owens

    Learning to Mend

    JUNE 28 It has been two days, and I haven’t had to hike the roads, steal water, or climb a mountain. Two days and at least two chances to eat in each one. I’ve learned to do chores on a sheep farm. I worked hard, and enjoyed it. Big doings, for me. Question number one for today: how is it that I didn’t get born to Eustace Whitley instead of my bastard of a father? Mr. Whitley has done more for me in 48 hours than my Dad did in eight years. Sunday, I spent holed up in the hayloft. I napped
  16. OF COURSE, You have to hear this at Halloween! https://youtu.be/ipzR9bhei_o?t=5s
  17. Parker Owens

    Work

    Yes. A long time coming, but maybe worth the wait. At least Eric can feel a little safer here, even if he doesn't wholly trust. And getting something to eat regularly will help a lot , as long as his luck holds.
  18. Parker Owens

    Improvement

    Sniffle. Really, that was incredibly touching. I very much appreciate these piquant slices of their lives. Are you sure I can't get an invite to meet these guys someday?
  19. Parker Owens

    Work

    Eric has finally found a place where he can be someone new. All the bad in the world hasn't caught up to him at the Whitley farm. Eating regularly will be a big attraction.
  20. Parker Owens

    A Short Ride

    Our problem is that we see the police as benign, as they are. Eric sees them as a direct pathway back to Carlsberg, jail, or even worse, his Uncle Ray.
  21. Parker Owens

    Rescue

    I had to show that. Eric did what we all hope we would do - and he really is a great person underneath all the mistrust and hurt. It will t ale something very special to bring that out.
  22. Parker Owens

    Wrong Help

    Yes, very awkward. Funny how when one expects one kind of difficulty, the solutions all look t he same sort of way. And perhaps Eric/Stefan could have talked with Ozzie. Stefan is unlikely to trust anyone for a long time.
  23. Parker Owens

    Houghton

    Stefan wasn't going to get to stop, not yet. Sorry.
  24. Parker Owens

    Catastrophe

    What a nice thing for you to say in such a sad story(so far). Hard to put down...it was hard to stop writing, once I started.
  25. Parker Owens

    Walk Away

    Stefan seemed to be caught in an eddy of ill fortune, condemned to swirl endlessly in a vortex of abuse, ill treatment, and malevolence. A particularly heavy spate of unhappiness spits him out into the stream of life, but that doesn't mean he's any better off. For some of us, the world is full of bad.
×
×
  • Create New...