-
Posts
19,079 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Parker Owens
-
April 31st Farewell friends, at least until next year, when once again we can only hope the generous muse will deign to bestow her gifts on this, her unworthy disciple, providing the words for her glory.
-
April 25th through April 30th
Parker Owens commented on Parker Owens's story chapter in April 25th through April 30th
Thank you very much for checking these poems out. This is my fifth or sixth year doing NaPoWriMo. I’ll have to check. I’m happy you liked the so-called ‘clever rhymes.’ I’m often hesitant to use them. April 28 is indeed special; written in response to an event set apart from the poetry prompts I was sent. Thanks again for reading, and for your kind comments. -
I would hope anyone could be redeemed (Predator Prey explored that), and I could see some of Rick and Gus’ antagonists undergoing a change of heart. I’d like to think about salvaging Rita some day. Heinrich Senior may not ever reconcile with his son, which saddens me. Willy seems too far gone - or maybe I never had even a twinge of sympathy for him. Zoltan and Magda might be moved, given some kind of galvanizing motivation. Gus fighting back and choosing Rick could do that. As for Rick, as long as he is no longer alone to turn inward on himself, he may truly blossom with Gus alongside. You’re so kind to have read this story and to have made so many thoughtful comments. Thank you very, very much.
-
April 25th through April 30th
Parker Owens commented on Parker Owens's story chapter in April 25th through April 30th
The lab report poem kind of combined two prompts in one; the cooking poem will be one more entry in my long-running gag with my science department colleagues. April 28 was unprompted, yet outside events compelled me to write it. Thank you for encouraging me to participate this month. -
April 25th through April 30th
Parker Owens commented on Parker Owens's story chapter in April 25th through April 30th
I’m really glad you gravitated toward April 28. I think it’s a favorite of mine too. It makes me smile that you enjoyed the SI vs Customary measures poem. Call me crazy, but the history of customary measures fascinates me. I’m grateful you read these, helping to make the writing of them all the more enjoyable. -
How I love the images of floating, carried on the irresistible white water. That image is perfect for those exhilarating moments when the words suddenly flow, like snowmelt raging. This is awesome.
-
Thank you for sharing aspects of your past and hoped-for future. You made me smile to read of conversation with the sun and your letter to yourself. The undertone of mel— oh! A squirrel! That made me laugh.
-
Many thanks. Rick and Gus together make a wonderful pair. I'm very happy you liked the story and the chapter.
-
The villains will face comedowns of various sorts. Willy Kohler is likely to fall hardest and furthest. Zoltan and Rita are enterprising and survivors; realistically, they will find ways to continue on, regardless of whatever havoc Rick or dame fortune can wreak on them. I'm glad the descriptions in the chapter moved you to check out the real places more thoroughly. That makes me very happy indeed. Many thanks to you for reading, and for your responses.
-
I am very glad that the snapshots I tried to describe sounded true to you. Rick could have spent a long time working out the flow rates and pump capacities at the Buckingham Fountain. Gus was fortunate to get him away. Then again, Rick would have followed Gus anywhere. Thank you for your encouraging comments and for reading the story!
-
Zoltan became a guardian for Gus after some discussion with his mother. This is a case of a manager and guardian together, who cannot allow a good thing to get away. At least, that's how I conceived of it. Thanks very much for your question and for reading.
-
Cadet First Class • IV
Parker Owens commented on Carlos Hazday's story chapter in Cadet First Class • IV
Ritch had a great, a fantastic chapter. He has done a whole lot of growing up since we saw him in the very first one. Significantly, he is clearly more than smitten all over again with Lucy. Like his brother, he is completely capable of moving mountains to help other people. Like other readers, I very much enjoyed this extended time with Chipper. Thanks for a great Friday morning read. -
April 25th through April 30th
Parker Owens posted new chapter in Stumbling Into Spring: NaPoWriMo 2021
April 25th Bloodroot, evanescent, ephemeral as flame, opens to embrace with love the spring sun; shadows of the late afternoon encroach, and its petals fold up, not to return till next year. Fleeting joys, like mergansers winging or winter wrens singing in the woods, come and go before you know you experienced them; yet these form life’s brilliant mosaic, tiles made of hugs and smiles -
May this second shot bring you a sense of deep peace, and shield you from harm.
-
I like that last one!
-
Helene's anger is born of frustration and the crumbling of her visions. Heinrich's frustrations and dashed dreams are likely to be just as catastrophically crashed. Rick will certainly be able to count on Jerry, Debbie and many other friends in Eagle Lake. Your encouraging words are so very kind. Thank you for reading and for commenting!
-
I like that idea, too. 🙂
-
Magda was probably going to call building security, but I can totally relate to your original paranoid inner shout. She and Zoltan consider Gus their star client, perhaps in the way that the old movie studios kept their stars on very tight contracts. As for the police, they could try to claim Rick kidnapped Gus, but perhaps they'll realize how that won't work if Gus says otherwise. Maybe they'd say Gus has gone missing, or possibly they'll just wait and sue Gus for violating his contract in some way. Thanks so much for reading, and for your thoughts!
-
Zoltan seems to feel that obligation is an ongoing and continuing quality. He certainly seems to have taken advantage of Gus for a while now. Ernst and Sons may indeed be a shell of its former incarnation. However, as you say, Rick is very likely to be able to rebuild, as it is he, not Heinrich, who has been doing the real business of helping people out with all kinds of plumbing issues. Your suggestion for Rick and Gus might have something there. And Zoltan? Let's say there will some day be a renegotiation of his contract with Gus. I'm sure you can suggest a couple of NY or LA lawyers if Debbie Beck needs reinforcement. Thanks so much for all your help and commentary. One more chapter to go...
-
You have set me a very ambitious task of composition, if this is just the first movement. You have certainly hit upon threads to explore. Of the ones you mention, I remain fascinated with Rita's character, and whether there is any way in which she can be redeemed. As for Willy, I see his story as being far more tragic in its end. However, your chuckle at the warning made me grin. Thanks very much for reading, and for your comments.
-
I think Rick is counting on getting Gus into a canoe again - though maybe with a life-vest on the next time. Alternatively, maybe Rick and Gus will sign up for time in the community swimming pool for lessons. It was a wonderfully satisfying chapter to write, indeed. Thanks very much for reading, and for your responses.
-
Helene is seeing her plans, her future and her career crumbling. Gus' expertise makes her sound better on stage; he adds depth and polish to her performances. Perhaps unconsciously, she recognizes that Gus having his own life and career will diminish hers. Anger and frustration are one way these anxieties might manifest themselves. It is indeed a good thing Gus is getting away from her, and from Zoltan and Magda. Those two have the unenviable task of finding her a new performance partner, and of dealing with her issues. Thanks for your responses and for reading!
-
Thank you! It is indeed a ray of sunshine for them both, to be feel comfortable - and able - to make their own choices, and to choose one another.
-
I like your quote from Fiddler on the Roof. Gus' first instinct is to settle in Eagle Lake, and Rick isn't about to deny him that. They will have friends waiting for them, and the thing Gus has wanted for a long time: community. Eventually, I see Rick and Gus finding their way together. There is but one chapter left in this story, but perhaps a snapshot or two of their future will be in order. Thank you very much for your comments and for reading!
-
You are most welcome. It was a wonderful, sunlit chapter to write. Thanks for reading!
