Jump to content

Parker Owens

Signature Author
  • Posts

    19,079
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Parker Owens

  1. Parker Owens

    Mated

    Wow. You have binge-read two big works in the space of a week! You’re voracious. I appreciate that immensely. This is indeed a redemption story, one in which I tried to explore whether it was possible to redeem someone like Scott. You will have to decide if the attempt was successful. It makes me glad to know you weren’t bothered by too much terminology. Thanks so very much for reading! Your comments are most encouraging.
  2. Thanks for the update. I appreciate your unflagging work to improve the site.
  3. Parker Owens

    In Conference

    I was very happy to set Uncle Ray on the permanent path to prison. But I hope the focus on Ray and his lawyer (who deserve each other) made better sense than writing more about Andy’s pain. Many thanks for reading and for your thoughts.
  4. Thank you again and again for making time to read Andy’s journal. I really appreciate you telling your story; it’s a tragedy so many children experience the worst parts of Andy’s life without finding its triumphs at the end. The overt bigotry we encountered is still there, although much of it has gone beneath the societal surface. As Andy said, I hate sneaky people, those who use shadow and thin cover to mask their hate. A and Z will surely overcome them, however. Again, my deep thanks for reading this, and for your comments.
  5. It made me smile to read you had looked up the German names for these birds. Warblers are such a wonderful big family of birds, in such a variety. Climate change and habitat loss means their numbers have been in a steep decline. There are some old friends I haven’t heard or seen in years. Thank you for reading these and for your response!
  6. This poem opens a window to let me see inside. You make me feel both the darkness and the disjoint jury-rigged repairs you described. I send you hugs and peace.
  7. This story made me smile from ear to ear. I agree with Connor’s description of Henry as an angel. And now I want to make rainbow waffles! Thank you for this.
  8. Here in a north coast climate, I’m not used to the heat. Outside in the shade is a great place to be, assuming there is any. Here are some strategies that seem good for this place. — Open all the windows at night; fans optional. — Some time between seven and eight AM, close the windows, keeping the cool air in. — Keep to the shade outside, and amble (or stroll, if you prefer) — Make supper ahead or grill in the shade. Serve it in the shade. — Hydrate frequently. And a little chilled wine with supper doesn’t hurt. I fear I may have answered more generally than I ought to have done. Sorry about that.
  9. Parker Owens

    Switching Sides

    I really enjoyed this story. It looks as if Don grew into enjoying the adventure of being fake Stanley. For his part, Stanley seemed to improve Don considerably. You handled the inevitable return to their former selves deftly. Wonderful.
  10. Ovenbirds like deep woods and make their nests in the moss of the forest floor. They look a lot like tiny brick ovens, hence their name. For such a tiny shy bird, it’s very loud. I’m glad you got a sense of them. Warblers come in all kinds of varieties- I’d bet there might be a few hanging around your neighborhood, taunting the cats. Thanks so much for reading and for your comments.
  11. You are most welcome. I’m very glad you read through the whole journal and that you found it worth the time. Thanks for reading and commenting.
  12. You’re very kind; a PhD ornithologist might give us more depth and detail, but the hope is to convey enough to get someone interested in what they see and hear. Plus, there’s always the attraction of writing for one’s erm, attraction. Thanks for reading these, and for your comments!
  13. If you see and identify a warbler, you have credentials for patience. If you spot an Ovenbird, that’s a rare feat. Their songs fill the midsummer air with tuneful joy and exuberance. I can spend hours searching for them and watching. Many thanks for reading!
  14. Warblers The warblers are a varied lot and often very hard to spot while flitting fast from leaf to leaf: at once he’s still – and then he’s not. You see him for an instant brief, he sings his special leitmotif, then out of view again he flies, which drives a man to drink or grief. A warbler’s garb will oft disguise whatever branch it occupies, so it is best to listen hard and hearken to it harmoniz
  15. I very much enjoyed reading this story. Matt and Seamus have become so good for one another, and now they are good for others around them, too. It's a grand tale. Thank you for sharing it with us.
  16. I enjoyed watching the friendship evolve. One never forgets that first leap into the open. That there is enough trust between them for Adam speak of it makes for a wonderful, sweet story.
  17. Parker Owens

    Chapter 1

    I did it for myself. What a perfect summation: Avery has it exactly right. Thank you very much for this story.
  18. @Nana Atuwa Love has been a long time coming for Andy. But now he has Zander and Monica and Garrett. Even more, there’s Kaz and Terry, and people who have ever so slowly have gotten inside Andy’s guard. I’m glad you’ve read this far in Andy’s journal. Thank you for commenting.
  19. Andy has learned to live with fear: fear of his father, fear of being hurt, fear of being found out in so many ways. Caution is his condition. He expects the worst, and has often gotten just that. Still, it looks as if things are looking up a little. Thanks for reading and for your comments.
  20. Parker Owens

    Why Pride?

    I really enjoyed your story. Myles only had to walk a few blocks in Jace’s shoes. But those few blocks taught him something long lasting. The discomfort and fear we experience - even in places where it feels safe - can last just as long. Well done.
  21. Parker Owens

    Jus Sanguinis

    Having just returned from the deep green woods of New England, thus story gave me the shivers!
  22. Parker Owens

    Walk Away

    You are very kind to have recommended the story to others. And you’re also right that it is especially dark early on.
  23. Parker Owens

    Walk Away

    It appears that the people at school have already made up their minds about Stefan. This is the downside of trying to be invisible, trying to be the chameleon. It means that it’s easy to be painted in whatever color someone else wants to give you. Thank you very much for your comments, and for reading this very difficult part of the story.
  24. Parker Owens

    Coda

    What a wonderful comment to find after a week away! You’re very, very kind. Thank you for taking time to read Rick’s story, and to comment. I’m glad you enjoyed it!
  25. Parker Owens

    Chapter 1

    This is an awesome story; I was able to visualize everything.
×
×
  • Create New...