Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 3,960 Words
  • 798 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wini and the King of Someplace - 8. VIII. Part 4 – Chapter 2: From the Both of Us

VIII. Part 4 – Autumn/Winter 1913

Chapter 2: From the Both of Us

 

Saint Louis, Mo.

Thursday, October 16, 1913

 

Dear Mother,

 

I'm tired. Tired of drifting along in a state of emotional limbo. You've taught me the value of patience, and for most of my life I've been deeply proud of that attribute. But as I get older, and in my continuing circumstances, this 'virtue' has been a sorely felt hindrance.

Finally I resolved the obvious: time was not on my side; something had to be done to break the loggerheads of waiting on hope alone to fulfill my desires.

As I strode across the dusty loading dock, with several of the younger delivery boys doffing caps at me, my hands clinched unconsciously in front of the belt buckle of my skirt. Come salvation or perdition, I was hell-bound to bring this to a head.

I knocked with resolve.

"Come," sounded officiously through the glass of the door, and I steeled myself for a confrontation. I might have been placid on the outside – at least I hoped so – but I was an internal roil as I entered.

"Miss Barrett . . . . " He rose to his feet, sounding puzzled.

I closed the door and walked to him with pursed lips. "I'll not mince my words, Mr. McIntire. You must decide what you will do with Bauer. It's unfair to leave the child homeless and uneducated. Either adopt him, or . . . or . . . release all claims on him so I might begin the process of – "

"Miss Barrett."

The softness of his tone halted me instantly. It was impossible to read if he were sad or happy – perhaps a mixture of both.

"My wife is pregnant. She thought she was this summer, but now it's certain. Constance has put her foot down; she says she cannot trust Bauer to be in the house with 'Baby.' That's where we stand, Miss Barrett."

Mother, I know I was very rude. I know I should have offered congratulations and wishes for a healthy and happy newborn, but I did not. My mind was on other matters, ones that made me laugh from sheer relief. From sheer joy!

I will detail my plans in my next letter, but they involve you, Mother, and I trust you will acquiesce to my request.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have some happy arrangements to make.

           

Yours,

Winifred

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Saint Louis, Mo

Tuesday, November 11, 1913

 

Dear Nephew,

 

I'm glad to hear your holiday plans for Boston are going smoothly. Celebrating with a small group of friends is oftentimes the quickest way to ensure the Christmas spirit comes to life. My gift this year will be mainly to myself. I'll have a new and permanent home by the end of your spring term, and want you and Malcolm to come stay for a week or two. Don't roll your eyes like that. I'm afraid this 'offer' is non-negotiable!

You asked about my assignment, and I will tell you the concept we've come up with will endure. I can envision this approach evolving over the years and becoming a beloved Famous-Barr tradition. Parents will talk to their children about what it was like here when they were kids, and do so while waiting in line with their little ones to visit Kris Kringle.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, as we've yet to inaugurate the first Christmas season in our new store, but here's how it all came about.

Working closely with the Barr people as I have, they universally expressed a strong desire to see the 'Holiday Depot' institution carried on in the Basement, many pointing out that they've done it there for thirty-one years already, and that the sublevel mezzanine was expressly designed to house this seasonal attraction.

And that's exactly the vision I laid before Messrs. May, Salomon and Baker in a meeting. I had a few rough plans, and they had a few rough questions about the scale and cost, but in the end, the kindly knight of commerce, in his hospitable German gentleman's accent said, "Miss Barrett, Santaland it shall be."

Since then I've been frantically busy. There's the temporary relocation of the several departments who 'live' on the Mezzanine to other quarters in the store; the various managers whose displays and sales staff will have merchandise for the duration of the season in Santaland; and not least, the store Architect and Display gentlemen are eagerly transforming a 'depot' into a destination! Their work has been breathtaking to watch. Both the old Famous customers who have come to expect little from the store's holiday, and the Barr clientele who have visions of sugar plums dusted with the sweet taste of nostalgia floating through their heads will be amazed by Christmas at the re-born Famous-Barr.

I took Bauer down there the other day to lay out the vision.

From the main level, a wide staircase near the front door on Sixth Street leads downstairs.

As we descended, I commented, "It's nice to see you out of coveralls during the workday."

He didn't reply, but he did blush.

I took the liberty of brushing his hair back with my palm; he's letting it grow out at my request.

"Why are we going down here, miss?"

"I wanted you to get the full impact. In just a few weeks, the whole Basement Mezzanine will be transformed."

As we neared the final five or six steps, I tugged Bauer to stand with me by the handrail. Some smiling customers were coming up.

After they passed, I said, "Picture it. From here visitors will get their first glimpse. A banner will proclaim 'Welcome to Santaland' from above the staircase."

I continued us on down the steps. "Once they get to the bottom, arched trellises with garlands will form a central aisle and lead back fifty feet from the bottom of the stairs. At the end, Santa will sit on his throne."

"Beautiful, miss."

We began strolling back, my hand gesturing to either side of the aisle.

"This central area will be for the waiting line, but far from being boring, the throngs of Santa's visitors will be surrounded by the wonders of the season. Toys and dolls – teddy bears and trains too – will be about here. On the other side will be Christmas trees and decorations, that plus gifts for young and old alike, and food! Tables and counters piled high with treats and presents. Imagine it, Bauer – fruitcake and stollen from our bakery, hand-dipped chocolate from our own candy kitchen!"

He seemed suitably hungry, and it made me smile.

"Can't wait, miss."

A slightly unconvinced edge to his tone made me halt our progress. "Bauer, don’t you think it will be glorious? I've promised Mr. May no less than we'll be the dominant Christmas store of Saint Louis."

"It's good, miss, it is. But, it's somewhat similar to the other big stores who go all out for Christmas. Now, if you want to make sure every child and parent for hundreds of miles 'round comes to FB this Christmas, we'll need a hook."

"A 'hook,' like what?"

"It will need to be something no other store will have. Let me ask you this, don’t you think moms would like a picture of their precious darlings with Santa? A souvenir of their visit?"

I felt my eyes grow wide in slow motion.

I bent down and kissed my little genius on the cheek. "That's a million-dollar idea, Bauer! We'll do it too, every child. That will make a visit to Santaland a must for all."

"Yeah, we'll blow the competition outta the water!"

I agreed, straightening up and adjusting his smart little bow tie. "It will mean a lot of extra work for Mr. Jenkins and his new assistant."

"We can do it, miss."

"Yes." I smiled helplessly. "I'm sure you can."

So, as you can see, my 'matchmaking' with the boy and photographer worked out and now Bauer does not have to spend his days among the crude youth of the Shipping Department. He has a cozy and bright workspace on the Sixth Floor, where there is a receptionist, and workroom, and changing quarters for the sitters. He's learning a great deal, and it shows.

Thomas, the boy is so happy there. Sometimes we forget what real appreciation looks like until we see it in a child's eye. There it lives in all its unadorned glory.

Anyway, I have other news to tell you – very, very important news – but I must do a couple more preparatory things first.

I hate to spoil anyone's expectations, especially mine, as there's always a chance the other party involved will not agree to my proposal.

Cross your fingers and wish me luck!

 

Your loving aunt,

Wini

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

 

Saint Louis, Mo

Wednesday, December 24, 1913

 

Dear Mom,

 

Well, Mother, it worked. Thanks to you.

I decided a special occasion required a special venue, so I asked Bauer to dress up; I was taking him to Lippe's.

This place is chi-chi, Ma. Not so much a restaurant, but a series of 'Rooms' which each seat about one hundred fifty people and offer different menus. And, since it's in the Chemical Bank tower at Eighth and Olive, it's an easy walk from the store.

"Let's go see upstairs first," I told him as we turned the corner.

"What do you mean, Miss Barrett?"

"You'll see."

We passed through the wide double doors where footmen bowed and did their best 'open sesame.'

In the lobby, I spoke a word to the maitre d' and he agreed to let us peek in on the rooms.

First, he moved to the right and to a large opening. Violin music of the soulful and brooding kind greeted us.

Bauer gasped.

The host told us, "This is the Flemish Room."

All around, ox-blood panels sheathed walls and columns, while ceilings and beams sported soft-glowing light bulbs. Accents of blue and white porcelain were here and there amid evergreen garlands and wreaths. Elegant people in evening dress chatted and ate in Christmas jollity.[1]

The man crossed the hallway. We followed.

"The Colonial Dining Room."

Worlds apart from the Flemish Room, this was belle époque at its finest. A ragtime string quartet set the happy mood for diners amidst the ivory-colored walls and Corinthian capitals in pure gold. A Christmas tree reached to the high ceiling, and its sparkling lights matched the oval halo of bare bulbs set in the ceilings between the beams and columns.[2]

"Looks like the first class salon on an ocean liner, doesn’t it, Bauer?"

"Yes, miss."

The host joined his hands together. "I am sorry, but there's a private party in the Chapel. All gentlemen, I'm afraid."

"That's all right," I said to him with a smile, and then explained to my young companion, "the Chapel is a vaulted space with green tiles on the walls and golden light fixtures."[3]

"Has madame dined with us?"

"Yes, I was with the May Executive party last month."

The man grinned. "Very good, madam."

"Now, Bauer, let's go downstairs and eat."

I led the way out to the sidewalk again, about to the middle of the block with the tiled arch and lights to the second half of Lippe's.

"Wow, miss!"

And he was right. I took his hand so he would not trip from distraction, and we started down the steps.

Etched mirrored panels flanked the walls, while above a mother-of-pearl stained glass arch illuminated the path in opulence.[4]

Once inside, we saw the right-hand side was the boisterous Sea Food Room, but we turned left.

Passing through a vestibule which successfully cut out all extraneous noise, the boy and I reached our destination.

"What's this one called?"

"This is called the Ladies' Mosaic Room, and I chose it because it's quiet and beautiful."

I gave my name, and the hostess led us to a table in the back.

Ladies of every age were eating and chatting in holiday finery. I glanced down and enjoyed the sight of Bauer drinking in the spectacle. White Italian marble in mosaic panels lined the walls; mirrored columns were capped with art glass lighting fixtures; and most incredibly, the smooth-as-glass ceiling was entirely done in gold leaf.

Fortunately, we sat at a table where Bauer could have a good view of all the goings on in the room, and as I watched him people-watch, my throat closed up. What if he said no . . . ?

Our waiter, who was a thin man with a drawn face and impeccable evening clothes, handed us our menus.

Long and tall like the man in charge, the cover featured a rather Germanic looking shield, with a crown and great flourishes around it. Within the heraldry, a boar's head rested amongst fruit, while below was an open bottle of wine and two glasses. It looked altogether like something one would expect in a hunting lodge.[5]

"I'll be back in a bit for your order." Our waiter walked away, but first took two steps backwards.

My blonde companion was entirely hidden by the huge folio.

"This is a special occasion, so order anything you like."

"It ain't my birthday – "

"It isn’t my birthday."

"It is not my birthday, miss." His eyebrows flared at me for avoiding the question.

"It's for Christmas, and also for a bit of other good news. At least I hope you'll think of it as good."

He shrugged and slumped out of view behind his menu. It suddenly hit me that he'd be unlikely to read many of the offerings.

"How about," I suggested, "seafood? I've heard it's good luck to have it on Christmas Eve."

"All right."

As if by telegraph signal, our waiter was by my side the moment I needed him.

"Yes, we'll start with the Caviar on Toast – "

Bauer made a horrified face and distracted me.

I continued, "And then the Broiled Pompano . . . ." In a glance of confirmation, I decided to throw in some meat. "And the young man will have the Wienerschnitzel."

Bauer smiled, relieved.

I finished our order, "And for vegetables, I think we'll have the White Asparagus a la Mornay, and the Stuffed Green Peppers."

The waiter collected the menus. "To drink?"

"A pot of tea, if you please."

"Very good." Again, he took a few steps backwards before turning and leaving us.

Bauer resumed his wide-eyed inspection of our surroundings, and I felt nervous. I had to ease into the matter at hand. There was in fact another thing I needed to tell him.

"Do you remember during one of our lunches, after you showed me your baseball collection, how you lamented the difficulty in obtaining them."

"Miss?"

Rolls arrived. We started to nibble, and I put some butter on Bauer's bread dish for him.

"You told me, Bauer, how young men like you are the ones most interested in acquiring them, but as it's the tobacco companies who put them in packs of cigarettes, so boys like you are induced to smoke. That's dastardly marketing; getting young people started on a dirty habit like tobacco."

"Oh, yes. It's true, but I never smoked, miss."

"I believe you, Bauer. You also said it would be better if Famous-Barr printed a series and handed them out to kids . . . say, in the Boys' Clothing Department. You said we'd trump the competition for sure with that idea."

"We would."

"Mr. May thinks so too."

"What?!"

"Yes. I had lunch with him the other day, and he said it was an innovative approach – give baseball cards to kids in a form that's harmless. I concurred. Then he agreed to start the project."

He flopped back on his seat astounded. "He does?!"

"We do, and the company will need your advice on which players are best from which teams for the pictures. The idea is to work with one of the local sports paper, like The Sporting News, and get shots of everybody you think is worth his own card. Maybe we'll have a series of two hundred total; we will have to see."[6]

I have to confess I delighted a bit in his continuing surprise.

"They know it was me who thought it up?"

"Yes, Bauer. And more than that, they want you on the project. Although I've only been a part of this company team for a few years, I know enough to say that's how they operate. They reward innovation, and make sure the right people get the benefits."

He was speechless.

I continued undaunted. "Do you know what else Mr. May told me?"

"No."

"He told me about some of his early promotions, back when he was a young man in Colorado and running his first large department store. He told me he came up with an idea that earned them many new customers."

"What'd he do?"

"Imagine this – every boy who came to his store for a new suit not only left again fully clothed in the latest styles, but the proud owner of a free bat and baseball."

"That's a wonderful idea!"

I chuckled. "Mr. May says the glaziers of Denver loved him. Over the course of a short time, every other house in the city had a broken window."

"Well, I'll be a monkey's – "

"No bad language, Bauer."

"Ah, I wasn't gonna say nothing, 'cept uncle."

My warning had the desired effect, and he laughed.

After a few minutes of silently eating bread, I leaned back on my chair and sighed. "I must be in a rather sentimental mood tonight. Do you know what I was just thinking of?"

He shook his head.

Our appetizers arrived. I served him a toast point with some fish eggs on it. "Just try it, if you don’t like it, at least we will know for the future."

He held it up to his nose. Apparently satisfied that it smelled appetizing, he took a bite. After a few chews, a smile appeared and I could go on with my story.

"As I was saying, I wonder if you remember – over the summer – how you and I sat out on the boat dock with our toes in the water?"

"Yes, I remember."

My mood turned serious; perhaps I had found a good way to introduce my main topic. "You were going to ask me something then, weren't you? We had been talking about my life in Pittsburgh and if I missed it."

"I remember."

"What was it you wanted to know?"

Eyes darted in a clear signal that he felt awkward. "Well, I wanted to ask you something real simple. Were you planning on going back? I figured you were and everything, so I didn't ask."

"At that time, I'm not sure what I would have told you. Sure, I could stay on in Saint Louis and find rewarding challenges working in the May Company headquarters, but it's you who makes the difference. I want to be here with you, so now it's an easy answer: I'm not going back to Pittsburgh."

My heart raced. I was so near my goal, but I could not blurt it out. Another way to ease into it crossed my mind.

I asked, "How do you like the small Brownie camera Mr. Jenkins and I got you for you birthday?"

"It's wonderful, miss. Thank you for giving it to me, and for being my first snapshot." His smile was back.

"I know you love photography, and after you finish school, I think you can come back to the store if you want to. I expect you'll be running the photo studio someday. That is, if that's what you want to do, Bauer. It's all up to you."

"School . . . ?" He acted as if a dirty word had been spoken at the dining room table.

"Yes. School. Look, Bauer, I've hired a lawyer, and he says it's not so difficult with Mr. McIntire's permission. So, I propose that I adopt you and give you a permanent home."

The boy was hard to read. He went back to eating, and I thought I had failed.

Until that is Bauer said, "I'll tell Mr. McIntire to hand over my shoebox to you, since I'll be your son now."

I smiled. "Yes. Very practical of you. You'll be my son and I'll be your mother."

"You'll look after me, right?"

"Yes, Bauer."

"Forever, right?"

"You have nothing to fear. It's all arranged; my mother is moving here to teach you at home. We'll catch you up in your lessons so you are ready to attend junior high school with your classmates. After you graduate high school, you can decide if you want to come back to Famous-Barr to work."

"With the photographer?"

"Yes. Follow your interests, Bauer."

"But you'll be my mom – forever?"

"Yes – forever and a day."

"Then I'll be your son. Bauer Barrett. Thank you, miss."

"Bauer, you can stop calling me 'miss' now . . . . "

"What should I call you – " He stopped cold. "It may take a little while to get used to. I've never called anyone . . . mom."

"There's no rush. You can continue using 'miss' if you want to."

"No, I'll try the new way, mom."

"And no more sleeping in the store. With McIntire's signed permission, I've arranged for a trundle bed to be my in hotel room starting this evening. You are going to live with me from now on, that is, if it's all the same with you."

"Well, the Tunnelway is bit drafty . . . and I bet I can get used to a bed again, I think."

"Good. It's settled then."

Needless to say, Mother, I needed my hankie again when he followed up by reassuring me he was happy to be my son, forever. I am so excited and so relieved!

Enclosed you will find a little keepsake of the holiday season, 1913.

It's a photograph of Bauer on Santa's knee. As soon as all the equipment was set up and Santaland was ready to open for the first time, I made Bauer climb up there and be the very first one.

As you can tell by his scowling mug, he'd just gotten done complaining about 'kid stuff' when the shot was taken.

Bless his heart, Mother. He's my own 'precious darling,' my personal Buster Brown boy, and I am never letting go.

You will kindly note the text along the bottom of the cardboard frame. It says: "Have a Merry Christmas from Famous and Barr Co.," and thanks to the store, that's exactly what we'll do.

I can hardly wait till you get here, Mom. Send me a telegram when you know your train, and Bauer and I will meet you at Union Station.

I can't wait for you two to meet. Until then . . .

 

Love,

from the both of us,

Wini.

 

                     

~

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


[1] Lippe's Flemish Room

[2] Lippe's Colonial Room

[3] Lippe's Chapel

[4] The tiled entry to Lippe's lower half

The Ladies' Mosaic Room

[5] Lippe's menu

[6] Famous-Barr baseball cards, given away in the Boys' Department starting 1915-16. These were the very first 'non-vice' baseball collector cards ever issued, and another amazing innovation of the store. It would be decades until baseball cards like Famous' would be put in packs of gum.

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a wonderful Christmas gift to give one another. And having Wini's mum come to live with them and teach Bauer so that he can become an educated young man with the opportunity to follow his interests. This also provides Thomas and Malcolm a place of retreat away from his father. I would like to know more about that first Christmas at Famous-Barr but the tale has come to a close. This was every bit of it a marvelously conceived and executed story of a time and people past.
Thank you.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

What a charming ending. I assume we all hoped for Wini to do the honorable thing and make Arnold hers. The "Someplace" of the title in the end turned out to be Wini's heart.

 

As for the store, it was good to see how the Christmas tradition started, of which we were made a part 33 years later through Katie's Sketchbook. This link through time was a bonus to me.

 

Although I had given Mrs. McIntire the benefit of the doubt earlier, I was sad to see she really was a unpleasant person all along. The baby was just an excuse to be able to get rid of Bauer. And what does that tell us about her spineless husband. A subject to contemplate.

 

AC, I think you did a great job with the form of this story. The lettters and diary exerpts gave us enough information to keep the story flowing, while the details kept the attention fixed. Although it must have given you a few headaches while creating the story, the sweat doesn't show. Bravo for another accomplishment !

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Nooooo!!! Say it ain't so! There has to be more!
Aw AC this story is wonderful..i have fallen in love with Wini, and Bauer. And I love how you presented this to us, I think the letters and diary worked so well.
I was meh, about McIntyre but didn't like his Mrs. at all. Awful woman. Hopefully motherhood will make her a better person.
The boys too, Thomas and Malcolm .. not main characters but you made us care about them. It was wonderful that Wini was so accepting of them. I waited each chapter to see what they were up to.
Building all these tales around a department store is a stroke of genius! The pictures, the history and even all the facts and figures. Your effort, your research culminates in a glorious story.
I look forward to whatever you have in store for us next!!

 

tim xo

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow, I wasn't expecting an end so soon. I'm going to miss Bauer and Winifred a lot. I loved how she gave him credit for the photo with Santa idea, and has arranged for him to learn a trade he really has an interest in rather than just manual labor.
I'm not at all surprised about Constance's attitude toward Bauer--I feel very sorry for the baby she's going to have, he won't know the unconditional love of a mother or father. Alas, the McIntyre's views on children are not uncommon for that time--seen but not heard, and seldom seen at that. Bauer, despite his rocky beginnings, will know such love while Baby will not.
I'd have liked a little more about Malcolm and Thomas, andWini's mother, but I understand the format of the story hampers that--hard to do an actual 'live' scene in diary or letter format. And yet, you created characters we can truly love in that same format.
I wonder if we'll see either Wini or Bauer again in another story of Famous-Barr?
Bravo, my friend!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

When you know what's coming and yet the tears still appear, it shows great storytelling. Wini is blessed with finding Bauer. Bauer is lucky to have someone like Wini to watch over him. What's even more special is you made them real; worry, doubt, hope, and finally realization at how fortunate they were to have found each other. Mr. Benus, your Famous-Barr stories always delight and thrill me, but this one was special. You somehow made the new Famous-Barr store a character in the story as well as the setting. The entity and its inhabitants took on a larger role without you resorting to personification. It was a lovely subtle touch which gave an overall feeling of a larger populated story with an abstract hero of sorts. Wonderful job!! I'm very impressed with this story and its evocative ending. You're becoming quite the powerful writer.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was truly the perfect story, AC.

 

The letter/diary 'narration' added the right touch of authenticity. The feelings all your readers developed for Wini, McIntire and *especially* Bauer, show your talent as a writer. :worship:

 

This was both warm and interesting. As a dragon, warm usually precludes interesting for me. :P

 

I don't wish to see this continued into their next year. What?! :o :o :o
What I really wish is for you to portray them in another novella about FB, ten years into the future. Envisioning Wini trying to contend with the eighteen year old Bauer Barrett is so very, deliciously intriguing.
How could you resist?? :lmao:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 08/04/2016 04:46 AM, dughlas said:

What a wonderful Christmas gift to give one another. And having Wini's mum come to live with them and teach Bauer so that he can become an educated young man with the opportunity to follow his interests. This also provides Thomas and Malcolm a place of retreat away from his father. I would like to know more about that first Christmas at Famous-Barr but the tale has come to a close. This was every bit of it a marvelously conceived and executed story of a time and people past.

Thank you.

Thank you, Dugh, for a great review. Yes, as a Christmas story, I want all the strings tied up, and I bet Thomas and Malcolm will have a ball when they come out West. Don't think their two-week visit will stay two weeks either – look at what happened to the length of Wini's assignment in the City of the Saint ;)

 

As far as knowing more about any of these individual years relayed in the series, theoretically, any new or better info I obtain can be rolled into the stories. I'm constantly learning more about this amazing company, and especially how they did Christmas so right for so long.

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment
On 08/04/2016 06:39 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

What a charming ending. I assume we all hoped for Wini to do the honorable thing and make Arnold hers. The "Someplace" of the title in the end turned out to be Wini's heart.

 

As for the store, it was good to see how the Christmas tradition started, of which we were made a part 33 years later through Katie's Sketchbook. This link through time was a bonus to me.

 

Although I had given Mrs. McIntire the benefit of the doubt earlier, I was sad to see she really was a unpleasant person all along. The baby was just an excuse to be able to get rid of Bauer. And what does that tell us about her spineless husband. A subject to contemplate.

 

AC, I think you did a great job with the form of this story. The lettters and diary exerpts gave us enough information to keep the story flowing, while the details kept the attention fixed. Although it must have given you a few headaches while creating the story, the sweat doesn't show. Bravo for another accomplishment !

Oh, Peter – thank you! I love the 'Someplace' comment.

 

You are right about Christmas 1913 being the start of a beautiful relationship between the company and the people of Saint Louis. I did want to select this year to show how it might all have come about. This novella is actually the second last of the series, and the finale will take us back in time to see how William P. Barr & Co. came to create the department store Santa in the first place.

 

Due to the format and vision I had for the events shown here, I was not sure I could pull off the balance of Wini and Bauer's personal journey vs. the progress of the new building for the store. I lost some sleep over doubts that it was going to be an impossible (and boring) mix. I know there will be critics out there who will say it is just that, but the support this work has received makes me feel I came a long way to meeting my goals.

 

Thanks again for all of your amazing support!

Link to comment
On 08/04/2016 07:03 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Nooooo!!! Say it ain't so! There has to be more!

Aw AC this story is wonderful..i have fallen in love with Wini, and Bauer. And I love how you presented this to us, I think the letters and diary worked so well.

I was meh, about McIntyre but didn't like his Mrs. at all. Awful woman. Hopefully motherhood will make her a better person.

The boys too, Thomas and Malcolm .. not main characters but you made us care about them. It was wonderful that Wini was so accepting of them. I waited each chapter to see what they were up to.

Building all these tales around a department store is a stroke of genius! The pictures, the history and even all the facts and figures. Your effort, your research culminates in a glorious story.

I look forward to whatever you have in store for us next!!

 

tim xo

Thank you, Tim. Yes, this tale has come to a conclusion, but I love your enthusiasm. I do work hard to make my 'people' 3-D, so it's always wonderful feedback to know readers come to care about them.

 

Coming to the point of wanting to write this series was a long and slow process. But once I settled on doing it, the plan of which years to show, and what might happen plot-wise in each story came pretty quickly.

 

I'm still not there yet, but I'm working on the third to last, and soon with start on second last novella to go. (I'll be glad when it's over…it's been a scandalous amount of work…)

 

Thanks again for all of your support and encouragement. It means the world to me.

Link to comment
On 08/04/2016 09:10 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Wow, I wasn't expecting an end so soon. I'm going to miss Bauer and Winifred a lot. I loved how she gave him credit for the photo with Santa idea, and has arranged for him to learn a trade he really has an interest in rather than just manual labor.

I'm not at all surprised about Constance's attitude toward Bauer--I feel very sorry for the baby she's going to have, he won't know the unconditional love of a mother or father. Alas, the McIntyre's views on children are not uncommon for that time--seen but not heard, and seldom seen at that. Bauer, despite his rocky beginnings, will know such love while Baby will not.

I'd have liked a little more about Malcolm and Thomas, andWini's mother, but I understand the format of the story hampers that--hard to do an actual 'live' scene in diary or letter format. And yet, you created characters we can truly love in that same format.

I wonder if we'll see either Wini or Bauer again in another story of Famous-Barr?

Bravo, my friend!

Yes, always leave 'em wanting more, is my motto. But I respect and appreciate all the passion I've seen for these 1913 people; it makes me think I did something right ;)

 

Wini did use her influence to get Bauer into the photographer's studio, but I bet Mr. McIntire was silently pleased about it as well. It's a better work environment.

 

As for seeing Bauer again in one of the other stories…I kindly direct all interested parties to a certain chapter in It Had to be Good! Anyone recall the mention of a certain young man…the photographer who is set up in Santlaland…? Have fun looking ;0 (but the text is in blue to make it easier to find – I know, I'm a stinker).

 

Thank you once again, ColumbusGuy, my dear friend!

Link to comment
On 08/05/2016 04:25 AM, Cole Matthews said:

When you know what's coming and yet the tears still appear, it shows great storytelling. Wini is blessed with finding Bauer. Bauer is lucky to have someone like Wini to watch over him. What's even more special is you made them real; worry, doubt, hope, and finally realization at how fortunate they were to have found each other. Mr. Benus, your Famous-Barr stories always delight and thrill me, but this one was special. You somehow made the new Famous-Barr store a character in the story as well as the setting. The entity and its inhabitants took on a larger role without you resorting to personification. It was a lovely subtle touch which gave an overall feeling of a larger populated story with an abstract hero of sorts. Wonderful job!! I'm very impressed with this story and its evocative ending. You're becoming quite the powerful writer.

Thank you, Cole, for a wonderful review. Several of the comments here make me realize something pretty important about Winifred and Bauer – they are pretty much alike personality wise. They do make a great fit; they both think about what the other is experiencing and feeling.

 

I believe you are the first reviewer to mention one of the largest and most difficult aspects of these novellas for me to pull off – the role of the store as a character. As a real-life enterprise, Famous-Barr was so very good and charitable to its staff and community. It changed people's lives for the better, so right from the start I knew the organization would exert a certain force on these tales. I know I have read about the 'holy trinity' of writing – where each story strives to find a balance between what it tells, the way it's told, and the force with which it's told. The last one is usually reserved to speak somehow about the editorial POV of the writer, which should be kept to the level of undercurrent, but with these FB tales, I know the store itself is the holy ghost moving throughout all, doing it good, being the soul of what the reader reads, although it's mostly hidden.

 

Thanks again for your support. It means a great deal to me.

Link to comment
On 08/05/2016 11:56 PM, skinnydragon said:

This was truly the perfect story, AC.

 

The letter/diary 'narration' added the right touch of authenticity. The feelings all your readers developed for Wini, McIntire and *especially* Bauer, show your talent as a writer. :worship:

 

This was both warm and interesting. As a dragon, warm usually precludes interesting for me. :P

 

I don't wish to see this continued into their next year. What?! :o :o :o

What I really wish is for you to portray them in another novella about FB, ten years into the future. Envisioning Wini trying to contend with the eighteen year old Bauer Barrett is so very, deliciously intriguing.

How could you resist?? :lmao:

Thank you, skinny, for a great review. The format choice here was foreshadowed in the 1929 novella. The adman was sitting in the Basement restaurant wondering if he was going to play Norman Rockwell or Ring Lardner for the day. Just like Lowell, I chose Ring! He was a master of epistolary fiction, and his first major published successes in this genre came in the 19-teens; same time this story is set.

 

As for you wanting a follow-up tale…I have to sigh. I could potentially continue this one, but then I would have to do them all. Ummm, no thanks. Even as it is, I have set my 8 years and try to put on blinders, but truth is, the more I learn about individual years at the store, the more temptation comes to breath heavy upon my neck.

 

For example, I recently obtained the newsletter describing Santaland for 1926! Sounds amazing. In 1938 Colleen Moore's dollhouse was the centerpiece of 'Castleland,' and I also learned the intriguing intel that 1991 not only saw an exhibit of Faberge gold at the store (hosted by Paris-based jeweler and grandson Theo Faberge), but ALSO an art show showing Picasso pieces by his daughter Paloma. I mean…how fabulous can get?! That year has already implanted itself deep in my brain and germinated, but will not be a piece of fiction. Yes, a stage work for sure.

 

So you see, I will have to bring this to a close soon, or else it's all I will be writing. Hope you understand.

 

A million thanks for your support and encouragement!

Link to comment

Aww, but you can't end here. I know, and I can hope for more right?

 

This is was a most wonderful and satisfying end to this spectacular story. I don't know that I can do justice in words to how I felt reading it.

 

I won't muck it up with mention of the Mrs, but I am oddly disappointed in in Mr. McIntire. Even though the outcome is as I wished it to be.

 

Through letters and entries, you led us through the lives and relationships of these remarkable people, never losing the balance of the story. Admirable and flawed characters came alive in your portrayal of them, and you managed to add the history of FB and its people so effortlessly. It felt like I was living through much of the book and I am so much richer for it.

 

You know I'm a fan of your work and you surpass my expectations every time. You never disappoint and I'm grateful to be able to read what ever is on tap next..
Much thanks AC...

  • Love 1
Link to comment

How relatively easy it was back then. And what a raft of innovations Wini and Bauer are responsible for! But you must know that what you have written here made me smile and tear up and be glad. Thank you for this story!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 08/08/2016 09:51 AM, Defiance19 said:

Aww, but you can't end here. I know, and I can hope for more right?

 

This is was a most wonderful and satisfying end to this spectacular story. I don't know that I can do justice in words to how I felt reading it.

 

I won't muck it up with mention of the Mrs, but I am oddly disappointed in in Mr. McIntire. Even though the outcome is as I wished it to be.

 

Through letters and entries, you led us through the lives and relationships of these remarkable people, never losing the balance of the story. Admirable and flawed characters came alive in your portrayal of them, and you managed to add the history of FB and its people so effortlessly. It felt like I was living through much of the book and I am so much richer for it.

 

You know I'm a fan of your work and you surpass my expectations every time. You never disappoint and I'm grateful to be able to read what ever is on tap next..

Much thanks AC...

Thank you once again, Defiance19. This is a wonderful review. I was very concerned with balance, and wondered if anyone would want to read this. I'm slowly getting the idea that some folks do, and get a great out of it; that makes me very happy.

 

This novella is the second to last in the complete set of eight, so it should be able to get the reader ready for the finale, and I hope it does.

 

Thanks for all your support. It means more than I can say.

Link to comment
On 08/09/2016 12:23 AM, Parker Owens said:

How relatively easy it was back then. And what a raft of innovations Wini and Bauer are responsible for! But you must know that what you have written here made me smile and tear up and be glad. Thank you for this story!

Thank you, Parker. Nowadays if my stories don't make me tear up, I tear them up; I figure that's the thing I most want to achieve at this stage in my life.

 

Thanks, as always, for your incredible support, Parker. I appreciate it a great deal!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..