Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 4,966 Words
  • 824 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wini and the King of Someplace - 6. VI. Part 3 – Chapter 2: A Confessional Stroll Down to the River

VI. Part 3 – Spring/Summer 1913

Chapter 2: A Confessional Stroll Down to the River

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1913

Monday, June 30th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Famous-on-the-Meramec, near Eureka, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Well, I made it. The train ride from Union Station on the Frisco Line was twenty-six miles as the crow flies. The urban stand of steel mills and automobile factories, with their forest of belching smokestacks, gradually gave way to ever smaller warehouses, then working-class abodes, and finally trees and fields. Soon a bend in the tracks took us deep into the woods and into the picture-perfect community of Webster Groves. My travel companions told me this town was the first 'suburb' in the nation, having been settled in the early 1850s as close enough to downtown to commute by train, but far enough from city noise and grime to make it 'healthy.'

After our stop here, the train moved rather slower. The terrain came right up to the track bed – cliff faces on one side and wide-open vistas of the Meramec River far below us on the other. We ambled along, taking broad curves and passing over fords and creek beds on any number of black-timbered trestles. It was so quiet; when the train rounded some bends, the river surface sparkled in natural sequins, and tranquility seemed to settle in my heart.

My fellow Famousites were in a holiday mood. More than one of them inquired if I had packed lightly. I had indeed, mainly due to the circumstances of living out of a hotel room already, but then again I had also brought a tube of drawings.

We turned inland and small towns rolled by, after we stopped at each. Eventually, the animation of my fellow recreation-seekers jumping up, fetching bags from the luggage racks and shutting away sweaters, books, and uneaten sandwiches still in their wax paper, told me we were near.

"Next one, Miss Barrett!" my coworker from the office informed me. I stood and collected my valise and cardboard container.

Slowly, the train stopped and a flow of cheery Famousites exited.

Once on the platform, the engine whistle blew a farewell, and I looked around. A fifty-foot-long wooden shelter, rather like a cross between an enormous feed shed and a tiny Swiss chalet, had FAMOUS in raised letters on its side. After the caboose cleared this station, the sunlit embankment on the far side appeared to my eyes swaying gently in summer color – tangerine-hued daylilies were in full bloom. They climbed the angled slope from the margin of the stony right-of-way to the living wall of forest high above. The color only parted to allow the path from the resort to come down to the tracks.

Here two teams of horses reared tack-laden heads as if to welcome us.

The crowd streamed across the rail line and deposited their baggage on a small farm cart headed by two bay-colored mares before going over the grass and climbing aboard a much larger pony wagon of sorts, one powered by four handsome Clydesdales.

Now my excitement was growing. The previous times I had simply walked the mile and a half to and from the station, but for this weeklong holiday we were bound to arrive in bucolic splendor.

The clippity-clop along the gravel road was again so peaceful. Several times my eyes drifted skywards and became pierced by delicate shards of sunlight through the moving leaves. All was well with me, except perhaps I could have done with a good lunch.

The wagons pulled around to the open area which formed the resort's informal square. From here paths led off to every grouping of outbuildings, the Dance Pavilion, shelter for the tennis courts, Billiards Hall, barns and stables, and of course, the various cabins and lodges.

We disembarked and I was lucky enough to be accommodated in The Clubhouse this time.

I hefted my valise, hiked my linen skirt to ankle-height, and made my way to this pivotal feature of The Farm, right at the heart of the square. From this side the structure resembled a three-hundred-foot long, two-story-high house. The entire ground floor was deeply sheltered by a wraparound porch. Rustic columns, along with 'X' bracing below the handrails, were all done in hand-hewed logs with the bark still in place. The second story windows, with flapping curtains and shades rolled up, looked inviting and cheery between the shingled walls. The same shake tiles carried up to the hipped roof at a shallow, summertime angle.

As I mounted the porch steps, I suddenly remembered the view. The wide double doors were standing fully open, and the central hallway carried my sight through the heart of the building and out the other side. On the river side the building was three stories high and the veranda was twelve feet off the ground. Below it, terraced lawns were held back by fieldstone walls and offered about five hundred feet of grassy play area before trails narrowed and meandered to the river's edge, about a quarter-mile and thee hundred feet lower than The Clubhouse. The verandas on the Meramec side provided some of the best views any resort-goer could dare to dream of.

"Ah, Miss Barrett!"

Startled, as I could barely see in the nether-light caused by moving abruptly from sharp sun to indoor darkness, it took me a moment to recognize who was speaking: Mr. McIntire.

I barely prevented myself from blurting out a holiday-mood-moment of crushing upset. 'What are you doing here' would have indeed perturbed the man.

Instead of saying anything, I watched him guide the young woman at his side to step forward with him.

"Miss Barrett, this is my wife Constance. Dear, this is Miss Winifred Barrett, our Integration Consultant from Pittsburgh."

"Ah, Mrs. McIntire. How do you do?"

I shuffled my bag and extended a hand.

The tall, dark-haired woman glanced at it in a way that reminded me I had been traveling most of the morning; I suppose it was a bit dusty.

"Fine, thank you." She attempted an appallingly halfhearted grin, and gripped my hand with two fingers before wiggling it briefly. Despite this lackluster engagement of physical contact, or perhaps because of it, I could only keep my attention on the unpleasant scowl on her face.

'What a fine pair,' I thought to myself with a brief glance at her Mister.

"Bauer is with us too, Miss Barrett."

McIntire's bright statement knocked me out of my reverie, and my eyes followed his hand gesture.

Arnold Bauer stood on the river-side veranda with his back to us. He was attired in a new linen suit with short pants, and had one foot propped up on an 'X' brace. He was leaning forward and apparently staring out at the Meramec and trees.

Mr. McIntire continued, "We were just stepping out, to stroll down to the water's edge for our first look, as neither my wife nor the boy have been here before. Isn't that right, Constance?"

The woman was anything but demure. "Yes, dear."

In any event, Mr. McIntire looked pleased with himself.

"Well then, I won't keep you." I hinted with a smile, "Perhaps we can dine together this evening."

Constance was already threading her arm through her man's and leading him away. "Perhaps," she said with oily ease.

Mr. McIntire raised the straw hat in his hand to tip it at me, then both turned backs and walked away.

I watched for a moment longer and felt my heart surge. McIntire patted the boy's back while saying something, and Bauer craned his neck to find me. He grinned and waved, which I returned, but when he motioned to come say hello properly, Constance McIntire turned the lad's shoulders roughly and started marching their little troupe towards the steps leading to the river path.

A short time later, I was standing in my room and had unpacked. I wandered to my window, which likewise peered down to the shimmering water, and sighed. All my appetite had gone.

I went to my bed, fell upon it, and cried myself into a fitful nap.

 

≈ • ≈ • ≈

 

By the time dinner was over, a chorus of crickets had arisen to sing the twilight a lullaby.

The social rooms of The Clubhouse were abuzz with merrymakers as I strolled through them. The parlour, with its sofas and armchairs, and its massive stone fireplace aglow with hickory logs, hosted quiet conversations. Small tables by screened windows to the porch were occupied by chessboards and gentlemen at play.

The lounge next door had several card tables set up, and this is where I saw Mr. and Mrs. McIntire playing bridge with another married couple.

Following my instincts, I exited the door from this room onto the veranda.

The night was warm and the breeze delightful.

I found him sitting alone on the top step at the side of the structure. Noisy carousing from the young men having fun in the distant Billiards Hall wafted up to us.

"May I join you?"

"Of course," Bauer said.

I sat on the step next to him.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?"

"Yes, Miss Barrett. I ain't never seen anything like it."

At first his statement set me back, but then…. "You've never spent time in the country, have you?"

"No, miss. It's wonderful here."

"I agree, and look at you!" I flicked his lapel. "Fine linen suit, looking remarkably dapper and like a gentleman of leisure."

He laughed.

"Mrs. McIntire picked this out for me. It's all right, but I feel silly wearing these short pants."

"I know you do, Bauer."

Slowly the intelligence that Constance had shown Bauer a kindness sank into my heart. Maybe that woman was softening to the boy; maybe my half-baked notions…were slipping away.

"Miss Barrett?"

"Yes."

"How are preparations for the new store going?"

"Good, Bauer. So far so good."

"That's a relief. I can't wait to see it all. Mr. McIntire talks about the Tunnelway, and tells me that's where I'll be spending most of my time."

"He does?"

"Yeah. Says I'll be down there running errands between the store and the warehouse. But I won't mind."

I decided a good-natured distraction was called for; a quiz for him on which line we had taken to get here. "Well, my little railroad enthusiast, how did you like your journey on the…the…?"

"The Saint Louis and San Francisco Railroad, miss?

"Yes, that's the one." He had made me smile with my whole heart. He's such bright little scamp.

"It was wonderful! So much to see."

"Yes, I thought it was beautiful too."

Our conversation was interrupted briefly by loud victory hoots from the Billiards Hall. Just beyond it was the large one-story guesthouse for the younger, unmarried men of Famous-Barr. The Hayloft, as it was known, could reputedly sleep forty city bachelors with country ease and comfort.

Refocusing my attention, I realized this must have been the south side of The Clubhouse where Bauer and I were seated. Flanking the porch steps were the faintly scented buds of daylilies. Their subtle aroma surrounded us and made me consider how short is the life of one of their kind. They have just one day in the sun, and this evening the brave-hued little fellows who had made my heart gladder only hours ago were now shut closed, never to open again, but still managed to send out their last sweetness to us anyway. Next to them, the buds that will blossom tomorrow are tightly sprung and anxious, counting the moments for warmth and the chance to stretch and live out their full potential.

However, for the moment, a state of either vibrant equilibrium or dull stasis reigned; I did not pretend to know which.

My glance from my companion must have been too long, for he turned concerned eyes up to me.

I shook off my thoughts with remembrance of work matters.

"You know, Bauer, one of my pre-move-in tasks is to stage all the finished departments and work with the photographer to document each one. It's a lot of work, and I think I will need an assistant on the days we shoot."

The boy looked a total blank.

"You, Bauer. I want you to help me."

"Me, miss?"

"You are perfect. You have an interest in photography, and seem to love it too."

I had to halt. The overwhelmingly happy and excited sparkle in Bauer's eyes stopped me cold.

"I will help you, Miss Barrett. You can count on me." A cloud passed atop his features. "But what about Mr. McIntire?"

"I will talk to him; leave it to me. As long as you want to do it…."

He nodded.

"Then I will tell him I need you and he'll say yes."

Naturally, I didn't tell the boy McIntire would say yes even if the answer were 'No!' The backing I have from Messrs. May and Salomon would see to that.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1913

Wednesday, July 2nd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Famous-on-the-Meramec, near Eureka, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Very sensibly so, breakfast was served buffet style. The morning was warm, and the still breezes and insistent whiff of hay riding on them promised a hot afternoon of sunshine and splashing Famousites in the river.

I collected my portion of scrambled eggs, a bran muffin, and dab of sweet cream butter – made in the property's dairy – and scanned the dining room.

Able to seat about one hundred fifty people, now less than twenty-five were scattered about. I wondered if the head of store security was among them; I had to show and get his sign-off on the architect's reworked jail cell. As a virtual ocean liner of commerce, FB needed a brig as well. Shoplifters beware.

While I was looking to see who I could see for business reasons, I stepped out to the screened-in eating porch. The air here was delightful, and birdsong greeted me.

Stretching along one narrow side of The Clubhouse, another fifty guests could be seated here; now only a few groups sat at scattered tables.

Damn.

Too late. They saw me. Worse yet, the man compounded the impossibility of me sailing past them by rising.

"Ah, Mr. McIntire – Mrs. McIntire – good morning," I was forced to cheep.

"Good morning, Miss Barrett," he said, looking warily at his wife.

I felt a smile rise. "May I join you?"

A questioning glance to the Missus confirmed to McIntire that I was not welcomed.

Thus, I pulled out a chair and ensconced myself, thorn-like in her side.

While I undid my napkin and silverware, I bantered witlessly. "Beautiful day, is it not, Mrs. McIntire?"

"Delightful."

I split my bran muffin and smeared one half unctuously with butter. "Any particular plans for today?"

Mr. McIntire sat. "Some of the boys in The Hayloft are planning a special rig for the Fourth. I'll be helping them this afternoon."

A suddenly horrified thought struck me. "You haven’t housed Bauer with those 'boys,' have you?" The Hayloft was like a college dormitory, and there's no telling how much trouble they could cause for an eight-year-old amongst them.

"No, Miss Barrett," Constance said. "He's sleeping with us, on a rollaway bed." She seemed surprised at the vehemence of my interest.

There was a glass preserves jar in the center of the table. I drew it to me. Avoiding the woman's eyes, I took off the linen doily protecting the conserves from flies and spread a fair chunk of strawberry jelly on my muffin. "Well, that's good. He is still rather young, you know, despite his maturity."

I re-covered the jam pot and took a bite at last. Delicious, but the expression on Mrs. McIntire's face was closer to sour grapes.

I disliked this woman; she was shallow, dull, devoid of humor, and worst of all, had her Mister wrapped around her little finger.

Mrs. McIntire made a display of setting her eating utensils noisily on the rim of her plate.

While I sampled my eggs, she leaned towards me.

"Out of friendly curiosity, Miss Barrett, do you ever mind your life being unfulfilled?"

I set my fork down, swallowed and dabbed my mouth with my napkin. The tone of condescending pity in Constance's voice raised anger in me.

I rebuffed her calmly, as if having to explain a simple thing to an even simpler child, "I have my career, Mrs. McIntire."

She scoffed, thrusting her spine back on her seat. "I worked too, but a woman's real job begins when she sets up a house and makes it a warm and inviting home for children."

A complex emotional reaction arose within me. I collected my wits for a moment, glancing at Mr. McIntire and finding some unexpected encouragement there. "My hope," I said without vindictiveness, "is that career women of the future won't have to make homemaking 'a job' if they don't want to. Let's imagine a time when marriage is not an automatic I quit from a career they find fulfilling too."

Mrs. McIntire acted vaporous, like the melodramatic heroine of a moving picture show.

"John, dear," she sighed, rising to her feet and making him stand as well. "I've come over all queer again." Her hand drifted to her midsection. "I think I'd better lie down."

"Yes, dear."

"Is that…." She paused, apparently rethinking her word choice of 'idiot.' "Is that boy out of our room?"

"Yes, Constance dear. I saw him collecting a fishing pole and bait, so I expect we won't see him till lunch."

She held my eyes; maybe she expected me to stand as well. Instead, I resumed eating my too-long neglected muffin.

"Well good," she huffed. "Now, if you'll excuse me."

I gave a brief wave with my soiled jam knife.

Chewing contentedly, I watched her clear the room. Suddenly Mr. McIntire sighed, and I felt sorry for him. His escaped breath was one of resigned exasperation.

"Since I'm standing, Miss Barrett, may I get two cups of coffee for us?"

I nodded with open enthusiasm.

By the time it took him to return with a small tray rattling convivially with coffee service for two, I had finished my eggs and muffin.

The pleasant breeze did much to restore the lightness of the space after Constance's departure.

I stirred in a lump of sugar. "Mr. McIntire, these last six weeks before the store opening will be frantic to say the least. In the final fortnight preceding the ribbon cutting ceremony I will need an assistant to help the photographer and myself with last moment arrangements. I told Bauer he could do it. Do you foresee any problems arising due to a professional furlough of the lad to me?"

"No, Miss Barrett." He took out a pocket calendar and notebook. "Weeks of August 25th and September 1st?"

"Yes, that's right."

He made a note complacently; I could see the man had a lot on his mind.

 

≈ • ≈ • ≈

 

Like the pony cart ride that had brought me from the Famous station to The Clubhouse, dappled sunlight through leaves filtered down to my eyes. After our coffee, Mr. McIntire and I had a pleasant conversation about the preparations for the Saint Charles Street shipping facilities, and now we were strolling the shaded path down to the river's edge.

"I have a feeling, Mr. McIntire, you sense as I do that Arnold Bauer is bright despite his learning difficulties."

The man was silent; a few pools of light and shadow overtook and retreated away from us along the path. He was clearly lost in thought, and some degree of anguish contorted the corner of is mouth.

The silence was something akin to what I imagine a priest in a confessional hears.

I pressed on with my original topic. "My mother is a retired school teacher. She knows all about 'slow boys' and how to bring them along at their own pace. It's called dyslexia, Mr. McIntire, it's – "

"I know he's far from dumb, Miss Barrett." His interruption had none of the expected ill temper I've seen from him in the past.

We continued on in shadowy silence for a minute or two, and then a bend in the footpath opened up our sightline straight to the water. Drenched in sunlight and animated all around by bright points of reflected light in the riffles, Bauer stood in his shirtsleeves within the shallows casting his reel.

It took me a moment to realize Mr. McIntire had stopped walking. He was transfixed, simply staring at the boy.

"Are you all right?" I asked, slowing my own pace to a halt.

He blinked at me like he had just remembered I existed.

In a quiet, unadorned voice, he said, "He's – he's my nephew, Miss Barrett."

I swallowed a lump and took a step back to him.

The man continued with a commingled look of regret and nausea. "In the months after the World's Fair, this city had quite a wave of babies being delivered. Many of the newborns were to unwed mothers and became wards of the state. I knew my sister's child was placed at Saint Joseph's Orphanage, and I knew they gave him the name of Arnold Bauer, so I kept an eye on him, thinking…one day – "

He halted abruptly, placing his hands in his pockets.

"One day, what, Mr. McIntire?"

I dreaded his answer.

"That one day when my sister was married and settled – which she is now, but not to Bauer's father – she'd 'adopt' him and raise him. She'd be ready then. But, the truth is, Miss Barrett, my sister does not want anything to do with the boy."

"Oh, Mr. McIntire."

"Well, then my thinking changed. If not her, then…."

"Maybe you?"

"Yes, maybe me. It all happened so quickly – my engagement and notice from Saint Jo's that Bauer was taken from class and about to be reclassified as 'feebleminded,' so I had to act before I was ready."

"Oh, Mr. McIntire, you did the right thing."

"So you know? You know what feebleminded means? He'd be sent to Arsenal Street."

"Arsenal Street?"

"The State Hospital, miss. The insane asylum, and I couldn't let the boy be institutionalized. He doesn’t deserve that."

I placed a reassuring hand on his lower arm. "You did the right thing, bringing him to the store. You did the correct and noble thing."

"So, there's my confession, Miss Barrett. Truth is, the more time I spend with Arnold Bauer, the more I like him. But – "

"But, your wife – "

"My wife is coming around. She…she has her doubts about 'hard cases,' but I'm working on her. I expect by the end of this stay, she'll be ready to bring the boy into our house." He suddenly pulled out and glanced at his watch. "If you'll excuse me, Miss Barrett, I have to get to the stables and book a horse riding lesson for Bauer. Good morning."

"Good morning, Mr. McIntire."

My eyes followed his form trailing back along the shade-patched course, but I knew my true interest lay on the bright side. I turned and watched the golden-haired orphan child cast a line far out into the river.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1913

Saturday, July 5th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Famous-on-the-Meramec, near Eureka, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Midmorning on my last full day in the country found me at a picturesque spot.

The resort's excursion boat is called the Sarah Jane, and seats about a dozen people as she motors along the river. After the whistle blew and she pulled away, I noticed a solitary figure rooted at the end of the dock.

A few minutes later I was sitting next to Bauer, our naked toes and ankles dipping into the Meramec as we cast quiet glances across the surface of the water. All was calm; the shimmers of timeless days, seasons and years captured in the endlessness of a single moment.

The blonde waif was without his cap, and I again wished he'd allow his hair to grow out. The workman's bob he sported lent a too-serious air to the boy's appearance.

"It was quite a show last night, wasn't it, Bauer?"

His sidelong glance up to me caught a sunbeam and made him squint. "It was."

I pointed. "Just around the bend there."

Part of The Farm's riverfront included a high and dry sandbar. Set in a gentle bend, it made for a commodious beach.

"The fireworks, Bauer, have you ever seen anything like them?"

"No, miss."

"Sparkles in both the sky and water – I didn’t know anything could be so beautiful."

"He might not tell you himself, but Mr. McIntire sure worked hard on the display. He rolled up his sleeves and pitched right in."

"The last moment when the frame came to life was awe-inspiring."

As tribute to the Fourth of July, and our pending move into the largest commercial building in the world, the 'boys' of Famous had rigged a billboard-sized rack with smaller slats. On this a network of long-lasting sparklers had been fused together, and when stood up and tripped as part of the finale, the outline of our future home lit up in stunning detail, right down to the pennant flying at the top corner, twenty-one stories high. After a minute or two, a message in living flame spread across the bottom: "Three cheers for David May!"

"I hope they got pictures of it, Bauer."

"I'm sure they did, miss. It's historic."

He chuckled all of a sudden.

"What is it?"

"Oh, I was just thinking you were lucky not to be near Mrs. McIntire during the fireworks."

"Why's that?"

"With every loud shell going off, she'd clutch at Mr. McIntire and pretend she was going to faint. She wanted to pull him away early – and spoil our fun – but he insisted she stop acting so dramatic."

I muttered: "Well, bully for him…."

"What's that?"

"I said: Very interesting."

"Yes. She doesn't seem to know how to have a good time, Miss Barrett."

"No, not like we do."

His boyish features turned mischievous. "May I ask you a personal question?"

"Of course, Bauer."

"How old are you?"

"I just turned thirty. In fact it was on April 8th."

"I'm sorry I missed it, miss."

I tried to laugh. "At thirty, I'm afraid it's official. I'm an old maid, but mercifully few dare to suggest it to my face."

"You're not old."

"I'm not?"

"No, you are the perfect age. You have what you want, and you can do and go where you please. Perfect age."

"I guess you are right on those accounts. Thank you, Bauer, for cheering me up."

"My pleasure."

It was my turn to turn playful. I kicked a toe-full of gleaming water towards his face. "Now you. Tell me when's your birthday."

"It's on October 29th, miss. You haven't missed it. I'm not used to celebrating them anyhow."

"But what about gifts, a cake?"

"'Cause there's so many of us, Saint Jo's has one cake for all the birthdays happening that month." An impish grin to match the best of Buster Brown's crept over his quivering lips. "But we don't get any presents there."

"Thank you, young Master Bauer. I will make a note of it: no presents."

This time he kicked water in my direction, and orange vitality and sparkle of daylilies lining the river's sunny banks flashed in my eye for a moment.

He asked plainly: "Do you miss home?"

"I only have my mother and my brother's son with whom I am close. Thomas, my nephew, is in college now and moved away. This July he and his close friend are in Europe: Spain, Portugal and perhaps Italy. So my days of being a doting aunt are numbered."

It looked like the lad had another question on his mind, but it went unasked.

His serious turn of mood put me in mind of a nagging inquiry. I asked very slowly, "Bauer, do you think you could be happy staying with Mrs. and Mr. McIntire, now that you have shared a room with them for a few days?"

"I don't know." He was contemplative. "I try to stay out of her way; I try to say nothing to upset her; but it seems I always do something wrong, or say something to make her roll her eyes. I don’t think she likes me, Miss Barrett."

I felt like weeping. I hoped it did not show in my voice. "That's too bad, Bauer."

"Don't cry, miss. I don't mind her reaction to me – honest I don’t. It's how most people treat me, so I'm used to it."

"Oh, Bauer…." Tears streamed down my face. "You're such a good boy. You deserve so much better."

He tried to make me stop with humor. "But the worst thing about Mr. McIntire's missus is how she's always latching onto my ears, folding them back and saying 'Did you clean behind here?' 'Yes, ma'am,' I tell her, but she's never satisfied. Who's gonna be looking behind my ears anyway? I mean, besides her!"

His efforts succeeded. My tears flew from me in a bout of laughter, and eventually I collected myself enough to ask him a simple question. "Bauer, if you don’t mind very much, I'd like to hug you."

He blinked in surprise, but saw it would mean a great deal to me. He stood and walked into my arms.

Truth was, I did not want to let him go.

       

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I loved how you drew out the picture-postcard experience of the Famous resort. What an experience to live in, and probably to remember with a sigh of nostalgia when Wini turns 50 (!) in 1933. And yet, the thread of the holiday wasn't jollity or frivolity, but the deepening connection between Wini and Bauer. Thank you, too, for making McIntyre a little more human. Now if only Constance could be brought round.
Many thanks for this holiday, it was lovely. Can't wait to see what you unearth from the archive next.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I too wish to hug that blonde imp. I think Mr McIntyre recognizes a shared concern and interest in the boy. There seemed from the start more to their story. Does he regret his wife's manner? She obviously resents Bauer but than seems to resent everything not to her liking. Her questioning of Wini retaining a career rather than marrying suggests she might have wished the same for herself but was made to do what was expected.
These people are just that people, not simply characters within a story. There is a wealth of humaness to them.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/21/2016 03:20 AM, Parker Owens said:

I loved how you drew out the picture-postcard experience of the Famous resort. What an experience to live in, and probably to remember with a sigh of nostalgia when Wini turns 50 (!) in 1933. And yet, the thread of the holiday wasn't jollity or frivolity, but the deepening connection between Wini and Bauer. Thank you, too, for making McIntyre a little more human. Now if only Constance could be brought round.

Many thanks for this holiday, it was lovely. Can't wait to see what you unearth from the archive next.

Thank you, Parker. Picture-postcard experience is such a beautiful way to put it. Thinking about the twenty years separating Wini from 1913 to 1933 is daunting. So much changed, and it makes a stark contrast between now and twenty years ago, when things basically seem the same. I suppose stability is a blessing folks of those times were not blessed with; we should be appreciative.

 

Tim Landon pointed out to me that Wini and Bauer's journey is a love story of sorts – a child and mother-to-be falling in love and courting one another. I cannot argue with his wisdom, and I suppose a chapter like proves his point.

 

Thanks for a wonderful review and all your support. You're the best!

Link to comment
On 07/21/2016 05:20 AM, dughlas said:

I too wish to hug that blonde imp. I think Mr McIntyre recognizes a shared concern and interest in the boy. There seemed from the start more to their story. Does he regret his wife's manner? She obviously resents Bauer but than seems to resent everything not to her liking. Her questioning of Wini retaining a career rather than marrying suggests she might have wished the same for herself but was made to do what was expected.

These people are just that people, not simply characters within a story. There is a wealth of humaness to them.

Thank you, Dugh, for another wonderful review. I think you've pretty much nailed it on the motivation behind Constance McIntire's grilling of Wini at the breakfast table.

 

And your comment about my people being much more than characters makes me glow inside. They do come to life internally for me, so I'm elated whenever someone tells me they live for them too.

 

Cheers a million times, my friend!

Link to comment

Parts of this episode were already served to us as an appetizer before. So now we know "officially" what the connection is between Mr McIntire and Arnold. (When you come to think of it, what a horrible thing to see your son rather grow up in an orphanage than taking care of your own flesh and blood.)

 

Although what we see of Mrs. McIntire doesn't fan sparks of sympathy in our hearts for her, when you look at the situation from her point of view, her reactions may not altogether be too despicable. She's just married and maybe dreamed of good times alone with her husband and then there's that boy that is sort of forced upon her and even has to share their bedroom in the resort.
Instead of her being the centre of attention, she has to share her husbands attention with the boy.

 

Of course we already came to love Arnold, because we see him through the eyes of Wini, and he may be and angel, but maybe it is easier for Wini to be kind to him now and then when she isn't otherwise engaged, than it is for Mrs. Mcintire to tolerate a cuckoo she is supposed to develop feelings for in her everyday life. Maybe she's just human.

 

The descriptions were as always painted carefully and with great eye for detail. I will never get tired of appreciating you doing that. I'm enjoying the journey and hope our King will find his place in the end.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Aw AC, this is wonderful. Yes we read it before but, once is never enough with your work. The love in this piece flows like the Meramec. Wini loves that boy. It's so apparent even a blind man could see it, because he'd surely hear it in her voice.
I think of poems as paintings, but your prose is also. Your words remind me of paintings by Monet (he's a favourite of mine), like Poppies or Woman with a Parasol. You paint your characters and surroundings so vividly. Read it and close your eyes for a minute and you can feel the breeze, the grass, hear the summer insects buzzing.. your work never fails to impress.
And with all that, your characters are real, they are human and imperfect and so just wonderful.
I liked this a lot, case you couldn't tell. Brilliant.
tim xo

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/22/2016 05:09 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

Parts of this episode were already served to us as an appetizer before. So now we know "officially" what the connection is between Mr McIntire and Arnold. (When you come to think of it, what a horrible thing to see your son rather grow up in an orphanage than taking care of your own flesh and blood.)

 

Although what we see of Mrs. McIntire doesn't fan sparks of sympathy in our hearts for her, when you look at the situation from her point of view, her reactions may not altogether be too despicable. She's just married and maybe dreamed of good times alone with her husband and then there's that boy that is sort of forced upon her and even has to share their bedroom in the resort.

Instead of her being the centre of attention, she has to share her husbands attention with the boy.

 

Of course we already came to love Arnold, because we see him through the eyes of Wini, and he may be and angel, but maybe it is easier for Wini to be kind to him now and then when she isn't otherwise engaged, than it is for Mrs. Mcintire to tolerate a cuckoo she is supposed to develop feelings for in her everyday life. Maybe she's just human.

 

The descriptions were as always painted carefully and with great eye for detail. I will never get tired of appreciating you doing that. I'm enjoying the journey and hope our King will find his place in the end.

Thanks for another insightful review, Peter. As for the giving away of a child then, there was such a stigma on unwed mothers, there was an almost immediate assumption the child would have to be sent to 'a home' and be institutionalized. As for what Bauer's mother thinks of her brother taking an interest in her 'mistake' is a bit of a mystery. I think Mr. McIntire's task(s) is(are) multifold, and perhaps a bit daunting as well.

 

Constance is Constance, and the fact that she seems understandable is wonderful feedback. Yes, she just wants what she wants – like the furniture she talked about at the baseball game.

 

Thank you for your praise of my writing as well. I do try to be always in balance, even though it often leaves me feeling dizzy.

 

I appreciate this, my friend.

Link to comment
On 07/22/2016 06:37 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Aw AC, this is wonderful. Yes we read it before but, once is never enough with your work. The love in this piece flows like the Meramec. Wini loves that boy. It's so apparent even a blind man could see it, because he'd surely hear it in her voice.

I think of poems as paintings, but your prose is also. Your words remind me of paintings by Monet (he's a favourite of mine), like Poppies or Woman with a Parasol. You paint your characters and surroundings so vividly. Read it and close your eyes for a minute and you can feel the breeze, the grass, hear the summer insects buzzing.. your work never fails to impress.

And with all that, your characters are real, they are human and imperfect and so just wonderful.

I liked this a lot, case you couldn't tell. Brilliant.

tim xo

Thank you, Tim! I won't fib and say I have modest feelings about this chapter; it's one that just came together and offered a palate of sights and emotions for the reader which left me spellbound as well. This feeling I had is what led me to post it as an extended preview of the novella. The response it garnered was pretty encouraging.

 

And so has your feedback and support been along the way. Thank you, my friend.

Link to comment

So many musings about this chapter. First, I think it's interesting how there is juxtaposition of the train, horse-drawn wagon, and automobile factories and the subject at hand; the changing role of women. It would seem technology has overtaken the American experience and is changing things permanently. No longer is a woman burdened with all things domestic and no longer are we burdened with slow horses and the fixed routes of trains. Technology is freeing women and freeing our ability to go where we want.
Such a fascinating series of symbolic scenes. In addition, we see changes in how we view orphans and those with developmental challenges. Instead of being ignored, they have been institutionalized. That was an improvement which is now going away. Now Wini and Mr. McIntyre are seeing the humanity behind the child. At the institution, Bauer doesn't even have his own birthday. He shares it with like others. In a way, his emergence as a singular human being is similar to what Wini is doing. Instead of being categorized members of a socially recognized group, they are becoming more. Bauer is more accepting of his role, but Wini is an example he cannot ignore.
Wonderful and I can't wait for more. Thanks Mr. Benus!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Cole touched on some very interesting points!

 

Also interesting was that in the "appetizer" appearance, as Peter referred to it, this chapter seemed more benign.
But not so! All the characters are on stage and we witness multiple interactions, plus experience valuable insight into their psyches.
At this moment, the chapter betrays itself more as a turning point in the story. As such, it holds out the enticing promise of what we hope will come.
It does all of this while seemingly capturing the beauty of a bucolic moment, trapped in the wisp of a time long gone.

 

Lovely writing, AC!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/24/2016 03:00 AM, Cole Matthews said:

So many musings about this chapter. First, I think it's interesting how there is juxtaposition of the train, horse-drawn wagon, and automobile factories and the subject at hand; the changing role of women. It would seem technology has overtaken the American experience and is changing things permanently. No longer is a woman burdened with all things domestic and no longer are we burdened with slow horses and the fixed routes of trains. Technology is freeing women and freeing our ability to go where we want.

Such a fascinating series of symbolic scenes. In addition, we see changes in how we view orphans and those with developmental challenges. Instead of being ignored, they have been institutionalized. That was an improvement which is now going away. Now Wini and Mr. McIntyre are seeing the humanity behind the child. At the institution, Bauer doesn't even have his own birthday. He shares it with like others. In a way, his emergence as a singular human being is similar to what Wini is doing. Instead of being categorized members of a socially recognized group, they are becoming more. Bauer is more accepting of his role, but Wini is an example he cannot ignore.

Wonderful and I can't wait for more. Thanks Mr. Benus!

Well, thank you, Cole. This is an absolutely fabulous review. Technology is a theme for sure, and a bit more will be coming in the next chapter. One of the aspects that most impresses me about the Famous-Barr/Railway Exchange project is how impressive function-wise it was as a structure. This building was every bit the modern marvel as its contemporary – the Titanic – designed, engineered and built at exactly the same time. The trade journals, many of which are now online thanks to google books, make clear how much advancement went into solving the department store's program of being the biggest and best, and not having a back door. The company's power generation plant alone was the most advanced in private hands at the time, but they also relished the concept of how being innovative was cost-effective. More about the store's electric fleet of vehicles will be coming ;)

 

How this ties into the evolving sense of fairness in the workplace is certainly an interesting one. Both child labor and the exclusion of women from executive positions in non-retail businesses were coming to an end, and I feel it was technological advancements (and the struggle of organized labor) ushering in the America in which we grew up.

 

The other aspect you touch upon is the terror of Eugenics and raciest policies that made it easy to institutionalize any and all 'undesirables.' Gay people suffered the worst under these conditions, and sadly, it's the one element in this novella that did not end until about 1980 in this country. How many lives ruined….

 

As for you pointing out that Bauer is not regarded as an individual, I think you are right. Wini's treatment of him as 'a him,' with dignity and kindness, must affect the boy to a great degree. He's never had anything like that.

 

Thanks again for an incredible review and your unflagging support of my work. Cheers!

Link to comment
On 07/24/2016 06:00 AM, skinnydragon said:

Cole touched on some very interesting points!

 

Also interesting was that in the "appetizer" appearance, as Peter referred to it, this chapter seemed more benign.

But not so! All the characters are on stage and we witness multiple interactions, plus experience valuable insight into their psyches.

At this moment, the chapter betrays itself more as a turning point in the story. As such, it holds out the enticing promise of what we hope will come.

It does all of this while seemingly capturing the beauty of a bucolic moment, trapped in the wisp of a time long gone.

 

Lovely writing, AC!

Thank you, skinnydragon! It's true about context; what seems 'innocent' enough on its own assumes shades of truer meaning only when viewed in relation to the full picture. I often try to write with that in mind.

 

As for this chapter being a turning point, that's also true. Perhaps Wini was hoping for and anticipating a little rest before the final push to opening day, but then…well, and then things got complex.

 

Only two more installments to go, so yes indeed, it's all down hill from here.

 

Thanks again for a fantastic review, and your encouragement. It means a lot to me.

Link to comment

Ah, so we're at the preview. The descriptions are wonderfully evocative of the time and place. Orange daylilies have always been my favorites. There was a large patch of them growing at the corner of my house when I bought it, and I often wonder if they had been there since 1908 when the place was built. I have a lilac which had been since the trunk was nearly a foot across, but it had been cut down and resprouted, so I've babied it along for years.
If only Mr. McIntyre had married a nice woman like Wini! She'd be an excellent mother for Bauer. She needs to stay in St. Louis and keep an eye on him.
Hmm, toward the beginning it sounds like you wrote 'nosily' rather than 'noisily'...is that just my narrator?
Eager for more, as always!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

And here we are.. seeing things slightly different given the whole story, as should be expected.
I suppose as a new bride it would be hard to be saddled unexpectedly with a readymade child. But Constance isn't even charitable toward Bauer. It's almost like he's this thing she has to deal with. Then her attitude toward Wini who dares to show her up, which is why she probably attempted to tear Wini apart at breakfast... So yes, I still can't like her and I suppose her husband is wearing thin too but there's little he'll do to correct it.
Luckily for Bauer he has Wini. I can only wish it would be forever..

 

Another wonderful chapter AC..

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/26/2016 06:11 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Ah, so we're at the preview. The descriptions are wonderfully evocative of the time and place. Orange daylilies have always been my favorites. There was a large patch of them growing at the corner of my house when I bought it, and I often wonder if they had been there since 1908 when the place was built. I have a lilac which had been since the trunk was nearly a foot across, but it had been cut down and resprouted, so I've babied it along for years.

If only Mr. McIntyre had married a nice woman like Wini! She'd be an excellent mother for Bauer. She needs to stay in St. Louis and keep an eye on him.

Hmm, toward the beginning it sounds like you wrote 'nosily' rather than 'noisily'...is that just my narrator?

Eager for more, as always!

Thank you, ColumbusGuy! Yes, chapter 6 is the turning point, as for staying…well, check out the next chapter. Mr. May have more ideas for how Wini's talents can be best served in the May Company.

 

Thanks for all of your wonderful support, my friend. I always look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Link to comment
On 07/27/2016 04:35 AM, Defiance19 said:

And here we are.. seeing things slightly different given the whole story, as should be expected.

I suppose as a new bride it would be hard to be saddled unexpectedly with a readymade child. But Constance isn't even charitable toward Bauer. It's almost like he's this thing she has to deal with. Then her attitude toward Wini who dares to show her up, which is why she probably attempted to tear Wini apart at breakfast... So yes, I still can't like her and I suppose her husband is wearing thin too but there's little he'll do to correct it.

Luckily for Bauer he has Wini. I can only wish it would be forever..

 

Another wonderful chapter AC..

Thanks, Defiance19! I often like to think that it's not my characters I am changing, but the reader. There's a slow process I've found in real life where sometimes-harsh first impressions are replayed by greater knowledge and empathy; I've tried to bring that to my work.

 

Maybe people have expressed sympathy (for lack of a better word) with Constance McIntire, and it heartens me to see that. How much she thinks about others may still be up for debate, but to some degree we are all guilty of that at various points in time. We don’t have to like someone to feel we get them, is what I'm trying to say.

 

I hope you enjoy the next chapter, for it's time for the store to move into new digs! Thank you again for all of your comments and support. Cheers!

Link to comment

I applaud yoor kind readers for trying to find excuses for Constance. But to me she has no redeeming qualities. I bet she holds his parentage against Bauer - as if it's his fault his mother got pregnant. :rolleyes: But then I wonder - did Mr. McIntyre tell her about his sister? Would he really want to expose her to the scorn of a narrow-minded sister-in-law.
Wini was not nearly hard enough on that b... - she should have said: "Well, that's assuming this particular woman has enough kindness and heart in her to create such a home. Otherwise perhaps we should rather have pity for the poor man marrying her - and any children as well." And then smiled gently at mr. McIntyre. :evil::lol:
At least this should convince her Bauer should never be saddled with that dreadful woman. Let her finish baling those plans, please. The one she did come up with regarding the photos was a good one. :D

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 03:24 AM, Timothy M. said:

I applaud yoor kind readers for trying to find excuses for Constance. But to me she has no redeeming qualities. I bet she holds his parentage against Bauer - as if it's his fault his mother got pregnant. :rolleyes: But then I wonder - did Mr. McIntyre tell her about his sister? Would he really want to expose her to the scorn of a narrow-minded sister-in-law.

Wini was not nearly hard enough on that b... - she should have said: "Well, that's assuming this particular woman has enough kindness and heart in her to create such a home. Otherwise perhaps we should rather have pity for the poor man marrying her - and any children as well." And then smiled gently at mr. McIntyre. :evil::lol:

At least this should convince her Bauer should never be saddled with that dreadful woman. Let her finish baling those plans, please. The one she did come up with regarding the photos was a good one. :D

Your comments here make me wonder how forthright McIntire has been with his wife. That he wants to bring the boy into their home is clear enough, but would the 'shame' of exposing his sister's 'sin' be too much for the relatively meek McIntire to tell Constance? It's a place in my mind I have not gone. Perhaps if she knew Bauer was his flesh and blood she would have behaved differently, then again, maybe she already knows and it's only her flesh and blood she cares about. Hmmmm, interesting to think about.

 

As for her view of Bauer being the example of 'sin,' I have no doubt she feels that way. Lots of people did in this country, and I know Mark Twain bitterly scorned so-called 'christians' for saying his daughter was stricken with illness as a sign of 'God's will.' He turned into an anti-Calvinist after that.

 

And for your last point, I don't think Bauer likes Constance. She's flighty and self-centered, and even he knows that's unhealthy behavior. ;)

 

Thanks for another wonderful review.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..