Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 2,772 Words
  • 935 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wini and the King of Someplace - 5. V. Part 3 – Spring/Summer 1913 Chapter 1: Holy Image

V. Part 3 – Spring/Summer 1913

Chapter 1: Holy Image

 

Saint Louis, Mo.

Tuesday, March 18, 1913

 

Dearest Mother mine,

 

Enclosed you will find a picture of Arnold Bauer, Esquire, Shipping Department. I apologize for him looking so dour. Usually he does not, but he refused to be amused by the photographer's 'childish antics,' a poor man who only wanted to raise some mirth in the eight-year-old's grownup heart. Oh, well. He smiles in person, which is what really counts.

You should have seen our serious-minded boy in his 'Sunday suit and tie' traipsing through the store with sniggers trailing in his wake from Famous folks only used to seeing him in coveralls. We made our way to the in-house photographer. Actually the man and his equipment are an old Barr's department, and he's set up a portrait studio in the store, although his lab has to be housed in the warehouse for now.

Bauer showed his usual curiosity coupled with adroitness in asking 'the right' questions. He was totally enthralled, in a polite way, with the picture-maker's equipment, flash powders, negative plates in their perfectly black housings, and on and on.

Mr. Jenkins, the photographer, seemed to take a shine to the lad's eagerness and patiently explained it all in the ways a young man's brain could absorb.

Eventually he was persuaded to sit and have his image captured for all times. A funny moment occurred afterwards.

"Miss Barrett," the boy said from his studio seat. "Won't you have one taken too?"

"Pshaw! My correspondents know what I look like, Bauer. It's your face they are most anxious to see."

Only later, during our walk back through the store, when all the chortles of those staring at his clothes and dolled-up hair did not seem to raise any ire in him anymore, did I learn something.

"Why so long in the face, young man?"

Saucer eyes lifted to mine. "I was hoping, miss, you would want to sit with me, you know, a joint portrait."

Well, Mother dear, that had the effect of halting my steps. "You want a picture of me, Bauer?"

"Yes, miss. I would like one very much."

"Then you shall have it. I have some in my hotel room, and will give you one."

"Thank you." But he did not look quite satisfied.

And true to my word I dug one out of my suitcase later on that evening and had to kneel by my bedside.

Should I be ashamed to admit, Mother, how the tears came to me? I was so sorry for the boy. Why must he be in such position, and why must so many paint him with the 'taint' of being his parents' offspring? He has done nothing but survive, and is that worthy of criticism?

Such a heady mix of emotions swayed my actions, I must say, for I did not give Bauer my picture the next day. I waited until Mr. Jenkins called and informed me Bauer's studio shots were ready for pick up.

Afterwards, I knocked on Mr. McIntire's door, and as usual, his face turned surly once he laid eyes on me.

I walked up to his desk. He rose, and I handed him Bauer's picture. He inspected it for a long minute, almost letting a crack of a smile appear, but in the end he glared at me and asked why I thought he'd want it.

My heart raced at his less-than-enthused reaction. I almost felt like snatching it from his clutches again, as if I needed to rescue the Holy Image from heathen hands.

Collecting myself and saying he may do as he pleases with the photograph, I punctuated his rudeness with a curt "You're welcome" as I vacated his office and closed the door a bit too loudly behind me.

On the loading dock, I found young Master Bauer at his usual afternoon task of disassembling cardboard shipping boxes and approached him.

He whipped off his cap, and despite my better instincts not to do it, my hand went out and smoothed his ashen hair.

"Bauer, I have a couple of things to give you."

I held out my picture, and the boy took it. For a silent moment or two I watched his eyes scan every detail, and enjoyed the flicker of a smile playing about his mouth.

"I have something else for you too," I said, offering him a postcard-sized carte de visite. He had seen them on offer in the photographer's studio and let his true kid-self shine through while looking at them.

They are a series of novelty headshots, some of men, others of women, but the one Bauer liked the most is of a mustachioed man in a bowler hat. Nestled in a heavy felt-paper frame, and a border with Famous-Barr on the bottom, the image is what they refer to as three-dimensional. Holding it angled to the left, the man's hat and mustache are in perfect focus, but as you slowly shift it to the right, his headgear and face hair begin to dissolve, until finally the man's picture is transformed; he's clean-shaven and hat-free.

Bauer regarded it and then blinked in tacit recognition that I had made his day, perhaps his week and month too.

"Thank you, miss," is all he could manage to say.

I placed his cap back on his head and assured him it was my pleasure.

Strolling away, I felt confident the two new items for Bauer's shoebox would become top-of-the-pile treasures for a while.

Naturally, more interesting and newer material will follow to bury them, but for the time being, we can be certain of a pleasured inspection now and again.

Oh, Mother, what should I do about all of this? About the way I feel? Am I too much a dreamer, and yes, despite how you roll your eyes, you are the correct person to ask this question.

It's hard to believe I have been here for one year already . . . .

I am tired now, and should go to bed. So, I will kiss you good night, and ask you to hold me in your dreams while I toss and turn in my indecision.

Sweet Dreams, Mother dearest mine.

 

Your affectionate daughter,

Winifred

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Saint Louis, Mo.

Saturday, April 12, 1913

 

Dear Thomas,

 

Well, it's official. The new store opening is delayed. Messrs. Salomon and May told us in our Friday meeting, and although the forced emotion was one of disappointment, the true feeling was relief.

The installation of the grandest features will need a few weeks more and the executives decided opening day must be an opportunity to wow the department store world, and our local shoppers as well. To 'open' without the soda fountain in place, and to operate without the ornateness of the ladies' fashion salon in perfect order would be to denigrate the efforts of so many for so long.

Personally, it gives me more time to do my work as well. Besides my Welfare Association efforts to track down and ensure Mr. Jenkins has a headshot portrait of all the managers and executive officers for our opening day souvenir edition, I must confess that the department integration is a slow-going enterprise. The smallest of details can cause either Famous or Barr people to dig trenches and say they have given enough by way of compromise already. I mean seriously, who cares if the ribbon ladies in Notions un-spool and cut to the left or to the right? The answer: someone is bound to cough up the tired old saw "But, that's how we've always done it, Miss Barrett."

Oh my, but I will survive the pettiness and rest assured knowing the hordes of money-spenders on opening day will force solutions onto every minor quibble.

And, since we've missed the spring window for the ribbon cutting, it was decided to avoid the lack of crowds due to summer vacations and open in the fall. First or second week of September is now the new target, and we will make it with all our t's crossed and i's dotted beautifully. The world won't know what hit it when Famous-Barr opens in our new digs.

Poor Mr. Salomon; he has so many beautiful fixtures and contractors to coordinate. The poor man – well, let's just say he's lived, slept and breathed nothing but Railway Exchange Building matters for the last twelve months. The good news is, Mr. May and company have rewarded his commitment handsomely. See, Salomon was titled 'Superintendent' of Famous-Barr, which is like the vice president role. Now he's been promoted to 'Manager' of May Department Stores Company, which is like V.P. not to one store, but a conglomerate of five! I saw the May Company is currently worth $23 million dollars, but the figure does not include the value of the Railway Exchange Building, its rental income, or the projected revenue of the greatly expanded Famous-Barr business when we move to our new facility.[1] The company's net worth in 1914 will be quite interesting; no doubt May will be the largest retailer in the world – but then again, we already are!

Paul Baker, who ran Carson, Pirie, Scott, and then moved up to manage Stix, Baer & Fuller, is now Famous-Barr's new Superintendent. He's a nice man, and will take us far.

Other interesting news I have to report is an outing last Sunday. Some of the ladies in the office treated me for my birthday by taking me to see Forest Park. The whole town is abuzz about the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company's gifts to the city, which include the Art Museum, the Jefferson Memorial and home for the Missouri Historical Society's museum, and a massive open-air structure called the 'Pavilion.' It crowns a hill and looks over a vista to the water features of the former Fair. It's beautiful and understated, and ideal to host large gatherings, as I'm sure several hundred people can be seated for a meal under its tile roof.[2]

The main purpose of the ladies came to light after we boarded one of the charming green, double-decker busses that circle the park – a park larger than San Francisco's Golden Gate and New York's Central, by the way.

We sat on top and relished the spring sunshine. I do so love the blue skies and powder-puff clouds one so often sees in Saint Louis.[3]

When we got off at the intersection of Delmar and Euclid Avenues – which is in the heart of the wealthiest neighborhoods of the West – we stepped into a palace for lunch. With terraces and planted topiaries on the sidewalk, I thought it could be a Côte d'Azur casino.[4]

I enclose two postcards from Café Cicardi so you can judge for yourself – I also picked up a set for a certain young man in the Shipping Department. The reception area was in the height of the latest German Classical taste. Here we were served orange squash while our table was made ready, and I protested that the ladies had gone overboard, but they poo-pooed me and said it was their treat.[5]

The restaurant interior might have made the Emperor Hadrian feel right at home, for features of Tivoli were omnipresent. A great round dome rose with a myriad of blue-colored panels and raised plasterwork. Rusticated niches housed statuary with alabaster torchieres flanking either side. Flowering plants, the sound of tinkling water from somewhere, and the strains of music from a string quartet made everything feel complete.[6]

We ate and gossiped and had a remarkably fine time. The food, in case you are wondering, was divine. Lots of choice Italian wines, and seafood dishes done lightly but with the subtlest accents to bring out their freshness.

And yes, I know what you're thinking; I can almost see your scowling face from here. This event means I am now officially 'thirty,' so let the old maid jokes flow! I'm kidding; if you do, I may not speak to you again. Just kidding, ha-ha.

In your last letter you reminded me how I am talking more and more about Saint Louis as if it were my 'home.' And this letter will go nowhere fast to dissuade you of that notion, however, I feel vindicated in being able to say the same 'homey' feel is shining through your missives about Boston.

In closing, I will mention it's hard to believe your second year of college is almost at an end. I'm sure the prospect of sailing to Europe with Malcolm is spine tingling. You'll have so much fun, and his notion of sticking to the Iberian peninsula – where food and accommodation are low-cost – sounds marvelous. In your planned three-month visit, I do hope you get to Venice like you mentioned. Naturally, you have your whole life to get back there, but seize the day, I always say, for the truth of the matter is you are only young and in love once in your life, Thomas, so take Malcolm's hand and go!

Your grandmother sends her love, as always.

 

Your doting aunt,

Wini

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1913

Thursday, May 22nd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Marquette Hotel, Saint Louis, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

The transition is complete; I have moved at last from 'plan view' into the real world of the new store; from the abstract following of details in elevation, to the three-dimensional reality of wet plaster and paint fumes.

I accompanied Mr. Salomon to his weekly jobsite meeting, and he wants me to be with him every time now until the store opens. These happen Wednesday afternoons, and are between the contractors, the building management people, and us. There is a mood of celebration between them, and rolled-up sleeves and a lack of formality tells me these folks have been working closely towards the same goal for quite some time now.

Touring the shell of the store, I saw many artists at work, not the least of which was a near army of stuccoists molding the deep egg and dart capitals of literally hundreds of columns. They will not be painted so the fine details remain exposed.

I saw my first example of the millwork cabinetry. This specimen, sitting proudly in a sheltered place on the second floor, is the 'approved one' by which all others must meet the same level of finish and quality, or run the risk of being rejected.

Eventually, each floor will have dozens of these. Not only do they hold merchandise, but provide flat tops larger than double beds to display the various items for sale. The wood is stained an attractive olive-green, and Salomon tells me it’s a nod to Barr's old corporate color. The same hue, he assures me, will appear as accents in the tile floors, on the ironwork of the open elevator cabs, and even the stripes of the awnings outside – all will be accented with the new FB-Green. I have to say, the contrast with the ivory-colored exterior will prove to be most distinctive and irresistibly festive to wandering shoppers.

I shall be seeing a great deal more of the interior from now on, as I have permission to escort various department heads so they can inspect their new homes. I expect the same level of energy and excited enthusiasm witnessed in the construction meetings to wheedle its way into everyone who sees the store nearing completion.

The six weeks leading to September 8th and the opening ceremony will be the busiest time in my life. However, Mr. May himself has insisted I take a week off next month and be the company's guest at the resort. So, before I make the final push, I'll do that. I will naturally be taking plans, my files and notes, because several of the department heads will be lodging with me on the Meramec at the same time. Since we'll be relaxed, I suspect we can amicably iron out a few of the last-minute details.

At least, I hope so.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[1] The company valuation is the one reported in the Welfare Messenger Souvenir Edition to celebrate moving into the new facilities. To put $23 million in proper perspective, the entire federal budget of the United States in 1912 was $69 million.

[2] The World's Fair Pavilion then, and now

[3] Postcard of The People's Bus

[4] Café Cicardi exterior

[5] Café Cicardi lobby

[6] Café Cicardi main dining room

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You continue to paint a vivid picture of St Louis and midamericans at the dawn of the American century. What is tragic, in its way, is the knowledge of how much of the riches Wini describes were squandered and allowed to decay by subsequent generations. This happened in city after city, and much could not be avoided. Change happens, some unforeseeable, and some for the best. But I don't think any of us will be able to experience a city in quite the way you have described Wini doing so anymore, and it is a pity, I think.

 

I continue to be fascinated by the snippets of story you string out for us in this developmental chapter. Not much drama here, but I sense a tension requiring resolution around young Bauer which cannot last; and I look forward to commentary on Thomas and Malcom's European adventures. The Grand Opening will overshadow all that, surely.

 

Can't wait for you to dig out more letters.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The image of young Bauer sitting stolidly for his portrait was endearing. He like other boys of the day is expected to display maturity and decorum and yet be a child.
Wini's description of her birthday excursion to Thomas and the delights to be enjoyed remind me of many photos and accounts I have seen of the area in which I live from that era. It reminds me of excursions my own mother would take my sister and I on when we were young. Most of those places are either gone or changed far from what they once were. Thank you for the rembrances.
In Thomas' adventures I am reminded that there was a time when young men of affluence travelled and engaged in a more care free life during college breaks. It was a time of romance and adventure before settling down into adulthood and responsibility.
You give us an intriguing look into a bygone time.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

You have fleshed out three men a little further in this chapter, AC.

 

Thomas - OK, we suspected it, but now Aunt Wini has made it official.
Mr. McIntire - a crack of a smile? A new wrinkle to the old prune.
Bauer - yes we have to call him a man because he thinks he is. He wanted a picture with Wini, together, the two of them. Another little wrinkle to be ironed out.

 

A great chapter of clarifications (or mystifications--all in your POV) for us.

 

Thanks for this newest installment!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm not surprised by the delayed opening. Wini describes perfectly the nuances of getting this huge enterprise ready for opening day.. I almost feel the shift from 'plan view to real world' with those clear images of structure and detail. That and the underlying excitement of the new FB is palpable. It really is like a walking tour but easier on the legs..

 

Wini I also put the Malcom /Thomas relationship in full view. No doubts now, and that makes her support of him and Mal even more special. No fuss no muss it just is.. I predict the two will have a most romantic travel holiday..

 

I imagine Bauer wanted a picture of himself and Wini together. Perhaps so when he is alone he could pull it out to remind himself that it's all real and happening to him.. Irrefutable proof that Wini is awesome and does exist.. Maybe? Anyway, I suppose his 3D photo will kind of make up for it..
I don't think that it will have any influence on Wini at all, but I do wonder what McIntire's wife will think of the growing closeness between Bauer and Wini. McIntire himself seems to be consciously holding himself aloof from the boy.. I totally get Wini, because I want to keep Bauer myself..

 

Another wonderful chapter AC... Till next time..

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I had to smile at the description of Bauer sitting for his picture. I have more than a dozen family pics from around 1900 several of children. One has two boys standing next to each other in dark suits with short pants, socks and boots, looking very serious--that was mostly due to the long exposure times for those days, but also because getting a portrait was so formal and children were expected to be at their best behavior in any public setting.
I think the most important reason Bauer wanted a picture of him with Wini might have been so he could dream, not whether it was real, but that he could see her as the mother he never knew. I was almost in tears over that thought.
Thomas and Malcolm being lovers is no shock, and I am anxious to hear more of their European adventure. Thinking of that though, I can't help but feel the fore-shadowing of the looming War which took so many young men of that generation. I hope they don't get involved in the War To End All Wars...my heart is already tightening with the fear of what may happen in just a short time.
Now we have the events coming up we glimpsed in your peek...I'd so love to see Bauer find happiness, and want Wini to try to help him learn to read properly as he's such a bright boy.
More please, my friend.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Loved this chapter. So sweet to read about Bauer having his photograph taken and he really seemed to enjoy the info offered by the photographer. Also his disappointment in not have Wini sit with him was adorable. I think with the right people/family Bauer could go far.
Thomas is definitely 'out' now. He must feel good having Wini to confide in, know she's so so cool.
Wini is feeling the longing for a family, a child of her own. It's beautiful thing, she deserves the chance to bring more into her life and any child would be lucky to have such a wonderful person as their mum. Meanwhile, Wini is busy at work.
Love how she dealt with Mr. McIntyre, the miserable old goat.
Looking forward to the next, AC!!
tim xo

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/14/2016 01:57 AM, Parker Owens said:

You continue to paint a vivid picture of St Louis and midamericans at the dawn of the American century. What is tragic, in its way, is the knowledge of how much of the riches Wini describes were squandered and allowed to decay by subsequent generations. This happened in city after city, and much could not be avoided. Change happens, some unforeseeable, and some for the best. But I don't think any of us will be able to experience a city in quite the way you have described Wini doing so anymore, and it is a pity, I think.

 

I continue to be fascinated by the snippets of story you string out for us in this developmental chapter. Not much drama here, but I sense a tension requiring resolution around young Bauer which cannot last; and I look forward to commentary on Thomas and Malcom's European adventures. The Grand Opening will overshadow all that, surely.

 

Can't wait for you to dig out more letters.

Thanks, Parker. I know the American city goes through cycles. We have a love-hate relationship in the most literal way with them. Sometimes they are seen as horrible and people 'flea,' while at others times they are seen as places of peace, prosperity and great opportunity. Now that urban agriculture is a trendy thing, there seems to be renewed hope and interest in cities. In my mind it makes sense; what has never made sense to me is corporate interests selling out a community. STL is not alone in this, but among the most painful economically have been TWA selling out to United, and May selling out to Federated, and Anheiser Busch to Interbev, and McDonald Douglass to Boing, and on and on. The government of the people, by the people, and for the people should not rubberstamp mergers that only erase thousands of careers – the pressure that blocked Hershey's sale to Nestle is the perfect example.

 

*climbs gingerly down from soapbox*

 

As for the next chapter, it's the visit to the Famous Farm ;) After that, opening day looms large.

 

Thanks for another wonderful review!

Link to comment
On 07/14/2016 05:53 AM, dughlas said:

The image of young Bauer sitting stolidly for his portrait was endearing. He like other boys of the day is expected to display maturity and decorum and yet be a child.

Wini's description of her birthday excursion to Thomas and the delights to be enjoyed remind me of many photos and accounts I have seen of the area in which I live from that era. It reminds me of excursions my own mother would take my sister and I on when we were young. Most of those places are either gone or changed far from what they once were. Thank you for the rembrances.

In Thomas' adventures I am reminded that there was a time when young men of affluence travelled and engaged in a more care free life during college breaks. It was a time of romance and adventure before settling down into adulthood and responsibility.

You give us an intriguing look into a bygone time.

Dugh, thanks for a wonderful set of comments. On Pinterest.com there are a few wonderful pictures from 'olden times' when children cried or laughed or misbehaved in front of a professional photographer's lens. I think kids were encouraged to remember how much the pictures cost, and that pressure disappeared in the age of the 'snapshot.' Along with the next chapter, I will post a few in the forum for us to see.

 

My mom never talked about those delightful green busses, but they must have been fun to sightsee in. As for restaurants, Saint Louisians of all economic brackets loved to go out. Earlier on, the oyster bar in the Planter's Hotel was the gathering spot for the well-heeled boys in the sporting life, and the rooftop beer garden of Tony Faust was the inspiration for the original Madison Square Garden restaurant in New York, the place where it's architect – Stanford White – was killed one night.

 

As for Thomas and Malcolm, at some point I would love to write about Frank Millet and Warren Stoddard – they had a gloriously romantic, loving and incredible European spell in Venice. Their unflinching record of love is a beautiful thing (incidentally, Millet was long aboard the Titanic as well….)

 

Thank you once more for a great review, my friend.

Link to comment
On 07/15/2016 01:07 AM, skinnydragon said:

You have fleshed out three men a little further in this chapter, AC.

 

Thomas - OK, we suspected it, but now Aunt Wini has made it official.

Mr. McIntire - a crack of a smile? A new wrinkle to the old prune.

Bauer - yes we have to call him a man because he thinks he is. He wanted a picture with Wini, together, the two of them. Another little wrinkle to be ironed out.

 

A great chapter of clarifications (or mystifications--all in your POV) for us.

 

Thanks for this newest installment!

Oh, the mental image of the old prune cracking makes me smile meself.

 

I think you hint here at something important. Bauer is caught – a boy but saddled with the responsibility of partially taking care of himself. He may not be asking the overarching questions of 'why' yet, but if circumstances do not change for him, he may be forced to face them sooner than anyone should.

 

And I suppose I should take clarifications and mystifications as a great compliment. I do try to avoid black and white portrayals and giving away too much. To do so all the time would not be very true to life in my personal experience ;)

 

Next chapter will find us back on the farm. Thank you for another awesome review, skinnyD. I appreciate it a great deal!

Link to comment
On 07/15/2016 02:08 AM, Defiance19 said:

I'm not surprised by the delayed opening. Wini describes perfectly the nuances of getting this huge enterprise ready for opening day.. I almost feel the shift from 'plan view to real world' with those clear images of structure and detail. That and the underlying excitement of the new FB is palpable. It really is like a walking tour but easier on the legs..

 

Wini I also put the Malcom /Thomas relationship in full view. No doubts now, and that makes her support of him and Mal even more special. No fuss no muss it just is.. I predict the two will have a most romantic travel holiday..

 

I imagine Bauer wanted a picture of himself and Wini together. Perhaps so when he is alone he could pull it out to remind himself that it's all real and happening to him.. Irrefutable proof that Wini is awesome and does exist.. Maybe? Anyway, I suppose his 3D photo will kind of make up for it..

I don't think that it will have any influence on Wini at all, but I do wonder what McIntire's wife will think of the growing closeness between Bauer and Wini. McIntire himself seems to be consciously holding himself aloof from the boy.. I totally get Wini, because I want to keep Bauer myself..

 

Another wonderful chapter AC... Till next time..

Thanks, Def! I've started working on the 1988 story in this series. Only yesterday I found a bunch of photos from opening day when the downtown mall Saint Louis Centre was opened 1985. One shows the plaza next to Famous packed to the gills with people watching the gala event, and it caused an odd sensation: it reminded me of that day in September 1913 when Famous-Barr opened in the Railroad Exchange, and how the crowds must have been just as deep to get into that new 'miracle of commerce.' Opening day is still looming for Wini and company, but it's coming up right after her little vacation to the resort, so please stay tuned.

 

Malcolm and Thomas are spending their second happy summer together, so they will have a blast, I'm sure.

 

As for Bauer's shoebox of treasures, we may just get a peek inside before our adventure winds down.

 

Thank you again for an awesome review and all your support. You're the best!

Link to comment
On 07/15/2016 02:38 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

I had to smile at the description of Bauer sitting for his picture. I have more than a dozen family pics from around 1900 several of children. One has two boys standing next to each other in dark suits with short pants, socks and boots, looking very serious--that was mostly due to the long exposure times for those days, but also because getting a portrait was so formal and children were expected to be at their best behavior in any public setting.

I think the most important reason Bauer wanted a picture of him with Wini might have been so he could dream, not whether it was real, but that he could see her as the mother he never knew. I was almost in tears over that thought.

Thomas and Malcolm being lovers is no shock, and I am anxious to hear more of their European adventure. Thinking of that though, I can't help but feel the fore-shadowing of the looming War which took so many young men of that generation. I hope they don't get involved in the War To End All Wars...my heart is already tightening with the fear of what may happen in just a short time.

Now we have the events coming up we glimpsed in your peek...I'd so love to see Bauer find happiness, and want Wini to try to help him learn to read properly as he's such a bright boy.

More please, my friend.

More is coming, dear ColumbusGuy! I think you've said something very beautiful about the imagination of a child and why Bauer might want a picture of Wini and him together. We'll see if Miss Barrett ever 'gets a clue.'

 

Pinterest is fascinating source for old photographs of all description. I think I will post some in the forum with the next chapter. I remember one shows a picnic in Forest Park in Saint Louis – two mothers and gaggle of young kids. The world of snapshots replaced the studio pose pretty quickly, but this shows the boys in rumpled clothes, having been interrupted in play to sit for this picture. They look none to happy about it either; that's the spirit I imagine when I see Bauer and his portraits. We have not heard the last of Wini wanting Bauer's likenesses either ;)

 

Thanks for another wonderful review, and for your support. I appreciate it a great deal!

Link to comment
On 07/15/2016 08:53 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Loved this chapter. So sweet to read about Bauer having his photograph taken and he really seemed to enjoy the info offered by the photographer. Also his disappointment in not have Wini sit with him was adorable. I think with the right people/family Bauer could go far.

Thomas is definitely 'out' now. He must feel good having Wini to confide in, know she's so so cool.

Wini is feeling the longing for a family, a child of her own. It's beautiful thing, she deserves the chance to bring more into her life and any child would be lucky to have such a wonderful person as their mum. Meanwhile, Wini is busy at work.

Love how she dealt with Mr. McIntyre, the miserable old goat.

Looking forward to the next, AC!!

tim xo

Thank you, Tim! Yes, you've hit on a connection between Bauer's curiosity and the process of taking pictures itself. We shall see what 'develops' (yuk, yuk, yuk :) ).

 

I think Aunt Wini was someone Thomas could always confide in, although the saying of it must have been pretty rough. Perhaps she made it so he never had to say it, but that did not make her acceptance and love any less supportive.

 

Winifred has her career…does she want more…? Is there a place in her brain, in that time period, where that's even possible? A family without a husband 'owning' her first…? Hmmmm, we shall have to see.

 

Thanks again for your wonderful comments and support!

Link to comment

This chapter was so masterful, Mr. Benus. We are witness to Wini building Bauer's self esteem and trying to give him some recognition as a person. Then you come back with Bauer's identification of Wini as his guide, his Madonna of sorts, and needs a picture, an icon as a remembrance. Within the context of their photos and the interaction, there is further bonding. It's done very well.
From that point, Wini supports her nephew. She sends him a supportive letter obviously trying to give him succor after the storm. She also specifically praises the virtues of love, even the love which cannot speak its name at this time. It's a gentle reminder about how not many years before, Wilde was prosecuted for his own love. The private encouragement and support is quite lovely and delicate in its own way.
Once again, you have used the actual events to build a powerful backdrop to the development of Wini, Bauer, and from afar, Thomas's characters. Really powerful stuff, Mr. Benus. Thanks for sharing with us.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Being tardy with my review leaves few topics to make a note on.

 

What intrigues me is the motive Wini had to give Bauer's portrait to Mr McIntire. There was no need to do that. The relationship between McIntire and Bauer doesn't give reason to believe Bauer would give his portrait of his own accord. Did she want to show him that Bauer is more than just a dumb helper? Did she mean to say that McIntire should do things for Bauer, like having his portrait taken, but because of his lack of interest for the boy someone else will do pleasant things with him?

 

The pictures of the Café Cicardi almost made me want to dance the charleston, but I don't know that dance was invented yet in 1913.

 

Wini is going to the resort for some well earned rest. Although I should cheer for a company that created facitities like that for its employees, I shudder at the thought of having to see my co-workers also on my vacation.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/17/2016 01:18 PM, Cole Matthews said:

This chapter was so masterful, Mr. Benus. We are witness to Wini building Bauer's self esteem and trying to give him some recognition as a person. Then you come back with Bauer's identification of Wini as his guide, his Madonna of sorts, and needs a picture, an icon as a remembrance. Within the context of their photos and the interaction, there is further bonding. It's done very well.

From that point, Wini supports her nephew. She sends him a supportive letter obviously trying to give him succor after the storm. She also specifically praises the virtues of love, even the love which cannot speak its name at this time. It's a gentle reminder about how not many years before, Wilde was prosecuted for his own love. The private encouragement and support is quite lovely and delicate in its own way.

Once again, you have used the actual events to build a powerful backdrop to the development of Wini, Bauer, and from afar, Thomas's characters. Really powerful stuff, Mr. Benus. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you, Cole! Your comment on Bauer – how he perhaps does not see himself as a person – is such an apt one. I try to imagine being raised by nuns, being just another cog in an institutional machine, and also – being looked down on as a mistake at best, or somebody else's 'sin' at worst. I feel for the boy, and I believe so does Winifred.

 

Your hint that Bauer is the source inspiration for the chapter name of 'Holy Image' is an awesome one. It's also one I can't refute ;)

 

Your review is amazing, and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate and love it and your support. Cheers!

Link to comment
On 07/18/2016 03:02 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

Being tardy with my review leaves few topics to make a note on.

 

What intrigues me is the motive Wini had to give Bauer's portrait to Mr McIntire. There was no need to do that. The relationship between McIntire and Bauer doesn't give reason to believe Bauer would give his portrait of his own accord. Did she want to show him that Bauer is more than just a dumb helper? Did she mean to say that McIntire should do things for Bauer, like having his portrait taken, but because of his lack of interest for the boy someone else will do pleasant things with him?

 

The pictures of the Café Cicardi almost made me want to dance the charleston, but I don't know that dance was invented yet in 1913.

 

Wini is going to the resort for some well earned rest. Although I should cheer for a company that created facitities like that for its employees, I shudder at the thought of having to see my co-workers also on my vacation.

As always, thanks for an insightful and wonderful review, Peter. I really like your question about Wini's motivations for giving over a portrait of Bauer. She's an intuitive woman, and perhaps the reaction – the slight one while he was looking at it – was the one she was indeed looking for, despite her exiting in a huff immediately thereafter. Her initial question still stands unanswered, remember – she does not understand who Bauer is to Mr. McIntire. If she is indeed chiding the boy's boss to do more for him, we see signs of that backfiring for her in next chapter.

 

As for the café, I have to honestly say I had never heard of it before researching for this novella. However, discovering it and how undeniably elegant it is, it had to make an appearance :)

 

And yes, 'resorting' with coworkers can be a tricky proposition – only made worse by the prospects of having to dine with their spouses.

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment

I suppose Wini did her best to make up for the disappointment by giving Bauer a picture of herself as well as the postcard. It surprised me she did not see the request coming but even more that she didn't honor it after Bauer 'owned up.' Was this because she didn't think it proper to pose with the child when she wasn't a relative? Or was it because she worried about planting ideas in his head, such ideas as she has barely formed in her own mind yet? I hope Bauer will get his wish fulfilled at a later time.
Interesting to see how women at that time feared their thirtieth birthday as much as it is the case today too. Even a successful and clever woman like Wini doesn't like to be reminded and certainly doesn't want any teasing. I head this story once of a woman who were bemoaning her wrinkles, and her five-year-old son was the only male to hear. He did not try to flasely assure her, she hardly had any wrinkles at all. Instead he said: "But, Mummy, I love your wrinkles." Now that's a real compliment.
The store tales shape in our heads along with the story. We feel the tension and the mixed regret / relief at the postponed opening. So do we feel about the upcoming excursion where Wini will once more come face to face with the gnarly prune and his sour lemon. ;)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 08/05/2016 06:35 AM, Timothy M. said:

I suppose Wini did her best to make up for the disappointment by giving Bauer a picture of herself as well as the postcard. It surprised me she did not see the request coming but even more that she didn't honor it after Bauer 'owned up.' Was this because she didn't think it proper to pose with the child when she wasn't a relative? Or was it because she worried about planting ideas in his head, such ideas as she has barely formed in her own mind yet? I hope Bauer will get his wish fulfilled at a later time.

Interesting to see how women at that time feared their thirtieth birthday as much as it is the case today too. Even a successful and clever woman like Wini doesn't like to be reminded and certainly doesn't want any teasing. I head this story once of a woman who were bemoaning her wrinkles, and her five-year-old son was the only male to hear. He did not try to flasely assure her, she hardly had any wrinkles at all. Instead he said: "But, Mummy, I love your wrinkles." Now that's a real compliment.

The store tales shape in our heads along with the story. We feel the tension and the mixed regret / relief at the postponed opening. So do we feel about the upcoming excursion where Wini will once more come face to face with the gnarly prune and his sour lemon. ;)

Thanks, Tim. Pruny and lemony, eh? hehe

 

As for the picture 'whys,' you ask good question. How exposed do you think Wini feels (knowing there are office gossips about…) already taking the boy on outings and buying him a suit of clothes? I'm not sure about the pictures, but times are much different now than then. But then again, your 'planting ideas in his head' and 'planting ideas in her' own heart are good ones as well.

 

It's interesting a couple reviewers have mentioned the store opening delay as a good thing. There is a postcard promising the opening would happen in the spring, but the new facility was not ready for business until September 8, 1913. So it's true history.

 

Thanks for your support of this project and series. I appreciate it a great deal.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..