Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 4,925 Words
  • 1,188 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wini and the King of Someplace - 4. IV. Part 2 – Chapter 2: The Buster Brown Boy

IV. Part 2 – Autumn/Winter 1912

Chapter 2: The Buster Brown Boy

 

Saint Louis, Mo.

Friday, December 6, 1912

 

Dearest Mother,

 

I received your letter of November 29th and am truly saddened by my brother's behavior. One goes to sit at a convivially-laid Thanksgiving table with goodwill and fellowship already place-set in one's heart – at least, one would hope.

Such occasions, especially with a guest staying in the house, call for impeccable manners, so I am sorry a bloviating lout turned up instead. You did the right thing, my brave mother, to tell the boys to pack their bags and spend the rest of the holiday week-end with you.

My poor sister-in-law has her hands full, and I feel sorry for Maggie.

Well, enough said about the subject. I expect to receive a letter from Thomas any day now, and I can comfort him as I always have – a loving aunt who is more like the sister he never had.

An amusing little adventure is on my mind to tell you about. Since he needs one, and no one's stepping up to outfit him like a proper little boy, I decided to take Bauer clothes shopping. He can't very well appear in public in nothing but coveralls and boots!

We made our way up to the Second Floor of Famous – the Men's and Boys' Departments – and looked around.

"What are we doing here?" he asked.

"I'm buying you an appropriate outfit of clothes, Bauer."

He halted in his tracks. "Why, miss?"

"Think of it as my early Christmas gift to you. As for 'why,' it's so I can take you to better establishments to eat than chili parlours or taverns. I might want to take you for dinner sometime."

I turned to walk on, then heard a small voice. "I can't pay you back, miss."

The plaintive tone nearly broke my heart. I crouched down to his level and tried to laugh it off. "Young man, we do not 'pay back' gifts, do we?"

He shook his head.

"Then let's find you a nice suit. All right?"

He nodded.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and we went straight to the Boy's Department. There were a few lovely ensembles – much too fancy for my Delivery Department boy – but at last we found a rack with examples not so replete with turns and trimmings.

"Do you like these?" I asked.

He fingered the medium-weight wool fabric. "They seem very nice."

"Pick out one you like with knee breeches."

He glowered at me.

"What is it, young man?"

"Miss, I already wear long pants. Knickers is for kids, and I'm a working man, you know."

"Oh." I wanted to add that an eight-year-old child is by no means an adult, but then again, thinking of his life so far – he has been asked to grow up without so much – one in his position would not know what it's like to be a kid at all.

I chose one in putty brown and held it up to his form. "You like the color?"

"Yes, miss."

"Then let's try it on you."

As soon as I had said this, the amiable Buyer for Boys' Clothing appeared near us. He and I have worked closely together in the past.

"Miss Barrett! How pleasant to see you here. Are we shopping?"

"We are, Mr. Clifford. This young man would like to try on a suit."

"Certainly. Right this way."

As Bauer stepped behind the curtain to change out of his overalls and into the dress clothes, Mr. Clifford and I exchanged a few words about the growing coolness, and the possibility of a snowy Christmas this year.

In another moment, I nearly laughed as Bauer drew back the veil and stepped forward for us to see him.

He had removed his boots and work socks, so he stood there wearing the knickers in bare feet and exposed shins. I have to say, he did look rather ridiculous, but a nice pair of black stockings and slip-on shoes would no doubt help. As for the tailoring, the suit jacket fit him fine; the shoulder seams laid just where they should, and the cuffs were a bit long, but easy enough to have shortened.

"Turn around, Bauer," I said, noting the scowl on his face about the short pants and not wanting him to see me crack a smile. "Is it comfortable?"

He raised his elbows and did a few callisthenic motions. "Yes, miss."

"Turn back around." I tugged on the bottom of the jacket. "I think you look very handsome in this one."

The corner of his mouth rose ever so slightly.

"Shall we get it, Bauer?"

He nodded.

"Very good. Mr. Clifford, will you please?"

As the true professional that he was, the man extracted a tape measure from one pocket of his coat and a pad of memo paper and pencil from the other. He knelt down and had Bauer extend his arm so he could take a proper measurement for the cuff hem.

"Oh, and Mr. Clifford," I intoned slyly. "Is it possible for this suit to come with both knee breeches AND a pair of long pants?"

"Yes, Miss Barrett."

"Then please measure the lad for those as well."

"Certainly."

By this point, the blonde-haired waif had forgotten his dour, 'grownup' scowl and was radiating a beautifully carefree smile.

As the boy was changing, Mr. Clifford said, "You must be very proud of him."

"Well . . . " I stammered. "I'm not his – " I was going to say 'mother,' but . . . . "The lad is an orphan. He works in the back of the store, in Mr. McIntire's Department."

The Buyer looked stunned. "Oh. I'm sorry for assuming, miss. The two of you simply have a relaxed way about you."

I assured him his assumptions were all right, but wondered if I were blushing. Did the thought of being Arnold Bauer's parent – his legal guardian and protector – raise a flush of ambition in me? Was it all sign and signal of the 'very proud' the man had just intoned?

 

 ≈ • ≈ • ≈

 

After changing again, it was time to complete the outfit with a few neckties. Mr. Clifford wrote up our alteration order, and handed me the claim slip before giving us over to the capable hands of Mr. Jensen of Boys' Shoes.

The young man had to sit in one of the attached row of chairs and untie his work boots again.

He became embarrassed as he laid them aside, and then I saw why. His left big toe was sticking completely through a hole in the sock.

"Take those off too, Bauer," I told him. "We'll get some new work socks." Then to the gray-bearded gentleman assisting us I said, "We'll need a pair of black hose suitable for Sunday outings."

"Yes, ma'am."

I did not bother correcting him to 'miss.'

"Plus three pairs of heavy wool socks for his boots, and two pairs of white dress socks." I confirmed with Bauer, "Do you think that will cover it?"

He nodded with altered eyes; I got the message about 'charity' being ingrained in the boy as a bad thing.

"Yes, Mr. Jensen," I proclaimed to the grizzened attendant, "that will do for the underclothes, but we'll also need a nice pair of Sunday shoes. Black, I think." I conferred, "Black, Bauer? Will that go with your new suit?"

"Yes, Miss Barrett." Again, he was shy, but I paid no mind to that.

The man measured the boy's foot with a RITZ stick, or a ruler with a sliding stop at one end. He then excused himself with an "I'll be right back."

I sat next to the boy. As we waited, I suddenly questioned how much this eight-year-old 'adult' knew about the star of the holiday season.

"Bauer, I wonder, do you know if Santa Claus visits Saint Joseph's Orphanage?"

"A man does, Miss Barrett, in a red suit. The staff tells the younger kids it's him, and he hands out little gifts – usually advertising give-always, like whistles and paper dollies. But he's not real, is he?"

"No, Bauer. That gentleman is helping out the busiest fellow of the season."

"I know stores like Stix, Baer & Fuller and the old Barr's have places where Santa sits and visits with kids, but . . . ."

"What is it, Bauer?"

He turned from watching his wiggling toes to holding my eyes in unnerving steadiness. "See, Pauli, one of the loading dock fellas with red hair, laughed at me around Thanksgiving. He slapped his knee and said: 'Santy Claws ain't real, kid!' So . . . . I guess he ain't."

There was soul-searching depth to the look he gave me. I knew one word either way, and Bauer's trust in me would convince him.

"You needn't be so sure, young man. Do you wonder if this Pauli fellow never met the real Santa because he never believed in him? If we don’t know his spirit lives, then he does not live for us."

I let that sink in, and saw it settle into another slight grin.

To distract myself, I pointed out a large freestanding advertising cutout from the Brown Shoe Company.

"Look, Bauer – it's Buster Brown."

And so it was. He was standing in his red suit, with a highly detailed blouse gathered below his waist by a white belt. He was wearing puffy short pants of the same fabric, and unlike what little boys should do, was shod in white socks and not stockings. The characteristic wink was on his face, and his blonde pageboy-hair was held by the band of a disc hat. The fashion was out of date now, but this is exactly how my nephew Thomas was dressed when he was Bauer's age.

"And Tige too," my companion corrected me.

The cartoon hero's faithful and smart American pitbull was sitting on his hindquarters and smiling at the viewer. In the boy's hand above the dog's head was a single, brand new shoe.[1]

"What do you think of his clothes?"

"Too girly."

"Yes, that's sort of the humorous point. Buster is a rapscallion, despite how he's also his mother's 'precious darling.'" I suddenly wondered how Bauer's hair would look long. It was about the same blonde color. "I bet he's a Browns fan, just like you."

That made the boy's expression grow wide open. "Well, he wouldn't support the Cardinals, would he?"

I shook my head in grinning agreement.

"Miss Barrett, would you mind keeping my new duds for me? I can't take them back to Saint Jo's, cuz they'd get swiped. I would ask Mr. McIntire, but – "

"Say no more. I will keep them in my office closet. You let me know when you want them, and you can change in the washroom."

"Thank you."

The young man's soft tone and sincerity drove all the chill of winter out of me.

It seems the memories of summer have faded now. My brief little excursions to the Famous retreat did me some good and let me inspect my life with a bit more clarity. If, Mother, I could wave a magic wand, I believe I would keep my career, but add elements of home and family. I know such news will enliven the rhythm of your heart, but please note I did not say 'get a husband.' My dear sister-in-law no doubt fell under the charm of my brother, but woke up weeks, months, perhaps years later wondering whom this person was who legally possessed her. I do not wish to subject my freedom and independence to such a binding contract of matrimony, and yet . . . yet, another longing is stirring in me. Perhaps a more instinctual one.

Well, there you go. I have wandered off into abstract, selfish musings, so for now I will say adieu. Sleep well, and I do wish I could come home for Christmas, but the matters tying me to Saint Louis grow more urgent by the day. It's not at all certain the store will be ready for a spring opening.

Time will tell.

 

Your affectionate daughter,

Winifred

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1912

Monday, December 16th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Marquette Hotel, Saint Louis, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

The Barr people are always talking about their store's 'Grand Holiday Bazaar,' and lamenting that Famous has no such Christmas tradition.

I met and spoke with a man in the Elevator Operator's Department. Mr. Duffy Smith is a sharp character – always impeccable in his attire – but there is no 'slickness' to his character. He is as honest and genuine as any one can hope to be. Anyway, Mr. Smith was telling me all about the previous building William P. Barr & Company occupied, and how it had a twenty-foot-high basement where Santa Claus was ensconced to meet with visitors. Smith says they started the department store Santa the first year they moved to the 'Julia Building' in 1880.

He told me: "Mr. Jacob Jordan came up with the concept of an actor dressed as Saint Nick and sitting on his throne so children and adults could meet and talk with him throughout the holiday season."

Imagine that; who ever thought there was a 'start' to department store Santas, but I guess like everything in this world, there was a person who thought it up first.

Around the Barr Santa's 'kingdom' were various departments: the Bazaar, or Depot as they called it. Here parents could dash off and buy a toy or two while the children waited in line for Kris Kringle, or the family could look through displays of ornaments and decorations.

I have to say, it sounds enchanting, and I can see why they look askance on Famous' more meager approach of simply providing 'Xmas Deals' in each Department.

Duffy said: "You should have seen his holiday kingdom down in the palatial basement of our old store. There he sat on this throne, kiddies upon his knee, chatting with visitors, laughing, and all surrounded by toys, gifts and holiday décor to take home. It was wonderful, Miss Barrett, simply wonderful."

Mr. Smith is very knowledgeable about history and even relayed to me how there are two pretender claims to the first department store Santa, both from the East Coast, wouldn't you know it. These are the same people who attempt to usurp Saint Louis' right to the ice cream cone on blatantly disingenuous information.

Apparently one false claim to the first department store Saint Nick is a silly one. In the mid-1880s a store in downtown New York had a holiday window display where they installed eight papier-mâché reindeer in front of a full-sized sleigh. In this sleigh they had a man in costume sit from sunup to sundown. He was behind glass – no doubt bored out of his mind – and no one could speak to him, much less drop a tot in his lap. So, so much for that 'claim.'

The other would-be usurper of Barr's legacy is a self-promoter and owner of a small-time retail outlet in Brockton, Massachusetts. In 1890 he slipped on a costume and greeted his customers as Santa Claus for a few minutes when the store opened in the morning. He has since been vocal in his right to be called the 'first.' However, since he did not sit there and entertain the children, AND he started his penny-anny, ten-minute-long 'buy, buy, buy' routine ten years after Barr's had a real Santa, how could anyone support his claim? If they do, they are ignorant, that's all.

Mr. Smith keeps a collection of memorabilia and showed me the store's advertising card from Xmas 1880. The text reads: "My headquarters this year is at Barr's New Building, Sixth, Olive to Locust, Saint Louis, where I have fitted up in the Basement the Greatest Holiday Department ever opened in America. SANTA CLAUS." He showed me a companion advertising card from 1882, which clearly says: "In my annual rounds I have again determined to be at William P. Barr & Co., Saint Louis, for I find they have made extraordinary preparations for me this year, and it is the only place large enough to accommodate all my friends and visitors. KRIS KRINGLE." Emphasis on 'again' and 'visitors,' meaning he was there for people to meet, and children to request gifts for the third Christmas in a row.

These documents prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Barr's was the originator of the department store Santa tradition; all others are imitators and pretenders to being the first.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Saint Louis, Mo.

Tuesday, December 31, 1912

 

Dear Thomas,

 

By the time you receive this, it will be 1913, so I'll bid you Happy New Year! All the best in the days, weeks and months to follow, my beloved nephew, and the same warm sentiments naturally extend to your Malcolm.

I'm sorry to hear how much snow is on the ground in Boston, while here we've been having a rather warm December. So warm in fact, the shoppers have been swarming like locusts! Well, I exaggerate a bit, but still it's nice the holidays are over so everyone can focus on moving into the new building.

Speaking of fine days, I had a chance to do a tiny bit of Christmas entertaining of my own. If you remember, I mentioned a small boy who works at the store, and I took him for a pre-Christmas lunch.

I said we'd meet at the grand arched doorway to the store, and he rounded the corner in his suit with long pants looking quite the dashing little scamp.[2]

He joined me and stood there with hands in his pockets.

"Where are we going, Miss Barrett?"

"I've decided to take you, young man, to a palace of the people, but I'm quite sure it's the grandest space you've seen in young life."

"Where's that?"

"White's, also know as 'The White Kitchen,' is part ice cream parlour and part sit-down restaurant."

He smiled. "You'll get us ice cream too?"

"We'll see about that. Now, shall we go?"

"Yes, miss."

I started walking up the street, which would take us past the show windows of our main competition, Stix, Baer & Fuller. One thing that distracted me from my 'spying mission' was how Bauer had continued to keep his pockets full of fingers as we walked.

I resisted instincts and tried to say in a not-too-authoritarian manner, "Gentlemen, Bauer, do not generally walk down the street with hands in their trousers."

When I glanced down and to my side, he withdrew them from his pants pockets with a grin of compliance. If he had winked at that moment he would have looked much like the famed Buster Brown boy.

We turned on Seventh Street and began walking towards the site of the new store. It was wonderful to see the construction fence removed, and breathtaking to glance up twenty-one stories to a great crowning cornice.

At sidewalk level, we passed by gray granite piers and marveled how each and every one was topped by a bronze sign proudly bearing the cursive script of our store's name.

Between them – as we passed – we saw a few acres of our display windows, realizing this was only one side of four, and felt suitably impressed at how large this structure really was. Each of the plate glass panels was papered from the inside, and every other one featured a sign saying: "THE NEW HOME OF Famous and Barr Co. WILL BE READY FOR BUSINESS SPRING 1913."

Crossing Olive, White's front door was close to the middle of the block.

"See, Bauer. This place is just as near as Hodge's to the new store. We'll have lots of choices."

He grinned. "Yes, miss."

We entered the crowded eatery, and as I knew it would, it stopped Bauer in his tracks.

Sweeping back fifty feet from the front door was a room of white marble wainscoting, and walls and ceiling of stained glass. Two-by-two milk glass tiles on the ceiling were banded with borders of lapis and sky blue. The walls had the same squares coming down to the wainscot, but here they framed large panels, each one containing a 'window' of sorts; an oval mirror in the center surrounded by small panes of amethyst, aquamarine and green garnet.

Ten-foot-long communal tables with bentwood chairs stuck out like piano keys from the straight wall on the right. While to the left was the reception desk – also in marble – to the side of which were stone steps.

"Table upstairs," I told the host, who waved us on.

While we climbed, I asked, "Well, what do you think?"

"I think I needed to dress up."

I laughed.

Upstairs was quieter. We were greeted by a hostess and shown to a table with a view of Famous. After perusing the menu and reading him a few options, Bauer settled on the Salisbury steak with mushroom gravy, and I decided on the codfish croquettes. For an appetite-whetter, I asked we be served the cold plate of deviled ham and egg slices first.

"Oh Bauer, this is so cozy. Don't you agree?"

"Mmmm, I do. I love looking at our new building. Can't wait to get going there."

"It won't be long now."

"No, miss."

"May I ask you something?"

"Yes."

"When you try to read, do you follow along the letters with your finger?"

"Yes."

"Does that help you?"

He shrugged.

"When you look at them, Bauer, at words, do they confuse you?"

"If I see a sentence, miss, I can know what the word is and sort of read it, but when I go and try to write the same word, it can come out all funny. Like, a long one . . . say, department, then I try to start with the place the word is broken when saying it . . . with a 'p,' miss. I try to spell it starting with a 'p.' Do you understand?"

His tone let me know he had full confidence that he'd confused me.

"Yes, Bauer. I do. My mother is a retired teacher, and she worked with boys and girls who had the same difficulty. You are smart, Bauer. Don't let others say you are not; you have what educators are calling dyslexia these days. There are different types, but the one you describe is common."

"It is?!"

"Yes, it is."

A wan expression fell over his face.

"What's the matter?"

"Oh, nothing. I was just thinking about something; something someone said."

"You can tell me if you want to, Bauer."

"I went to Sportsman Park in September to see a Browns game."

"Who took you? The orphanage?"

"No. Mr. McIntire and his new bride. He just got married a few weeks before and told me he wanted his wife to meet me, but I'm not sure why. The game was fun, and he kept acting like he wanted her and me to get along. She was fine and all, but a bit dull talking about new furniture for the house and rugs and like things – during a baseball game! – but I listened to them talk and chipped in my two cents now and again. But, apparently it was not welcomed."

"How so?"

"It's just . . . . " He started to blush. "Well, later on as we were in line for the streetcar, I heard her calling me 'a dummy' to her husband." Bauer's mood brightened. "Anyway, Mr. McIntire got me Cracker Jacks and the Browns beat the Yankees in twelve innings, so it was a good day."

Our deviled ham arrived along with a plate of saltine crackers. We nibbled away, and got lost staring at the creamy tower – our future work home – across the street.

"Thank you for this Christmas treat, Miss Barrett."

"My pleasure, Bauer. It's nice to get out of the office. Things are hectic, what with the sales and all."

"It's a shame Famous has no Santa."

"The Barr people are upset, and can't believe the store only employs two people in the Toy Department. It seems like we don’t expect holiday shoppers."

"Most shop for holiday flavor across the street at Stix."

"You're right. They do have a Santa to visit, plus a Toytown, and I fully suspect Nugent's, Hargadine and McKittrick, Ely Wlker, and Scruggs, Vandervoort and Barney are the same.[3] Famous IS a department store like the others, but one which started out in men's clothing, so it shows. In my heart, I know I must speak to Mr. May about this, as Famous and Barr has got to do better in its new facilities."

"That's a good idea."

I chuckled. "The store's rising on the site of the old Julia Building after all. We don’t want the ghosts of Christmas past to haunt us, ha-ha."

Our food arrived, and I watched the young man carefully inspect what I did with my linen napkin. I tried to casually – yet, in an illustrative manner – snap it open and lay it across my lap. He followed suit and did not stick it in the collar of his shirt, like he might have wanted.

While we ate, Bauer said, "If you want holiday inspiration, miss, you have to check out Lammert's."[4]

"Lammert's? Never heard of them. Are they a department store?"

"No. Home furnishings. But they're as big as a department store. They've got eight floors, and they do Christmas right."

"Bauer, if you are willing, you'll have to take me after our lunch here."

"My pleasure."

I grinned, but also motioned for him to wipe a bit of mushroom gravy from the corner of his mouth. When he lifted his sleeve to do it, I gasped, and then he remembered the napkin in his lap.

 

≈ • ≈ • ≈

 

Bauer was correct. The store was decked head to toe in holiday color and sparkle. While we walked the first floor, looking at Tiffany lamps and the silverware displays, I recalled what the boy had said to me on our walk over; he was proud to show an 'outta-towner' like me a Saint Louis landmark.

That plus the details he relayed of Lammert's being a 'going concern' since the Civil War cemented for me how anybody who mistakes Bauer's backward letters for dumbness, is quite soft in the head themselves. He just needs someone to work with him closely on his 3-R's, and I know he'll pick them up.

We slowly made our way towards the front again, and Bauer said with hushed anticipation: "You have to see the main display in the front window, miss."

He led the way, and it was not what I was expecting. Under an 18th century candle chandelier – all modeled in Rocco foliage and blooming flowers, and painted in soft realistic hues – a glorious dining room scene was laid out. Linens, silver tureens, crystal epergnes overflowing with fruit and sprigs of holly – plus the finest European china – bespoke of a scene out of Dickens. On the sideboard behind were great hams, roasts of beef and turkey, and pyramids of sweets. Around the display, living evergreens swaged, and a decorated Christmas tree resided in one corner.

Never had a display made me house-hungry like this one did.

When I glanced around for the boy, I saw he had stepped outside. I followed and found him near a niche in the building's great archway. How I'd missed it coming in, I don’t know, but there was an enormous black throne sitting there. In high Victorian taste, the seat was a solid three feet off the ground, and its caning was commodious enough to accommodate four men. Gold letters on the rungs of the back proclaimed the name, address and founding date of the firm.[5]

"They wheel it out, miss. This is for everybody," Bauer said.

He climbed up on the seat, turned around and sat with his back against the slats, his hands raised to 'rest' on the arms, and the soles of his shoes sticking straight out at me.

He told me softly: "I want a home. I wanna be king of someplace too."

 

≈ • ≈ • ≈

 

Oh, It broke my heart, Thomas. He deserves better, and the reason I am telling you is so you understand how I sympathize with your estrangement from your father. You deserve better as well.

My only advice would be to allow time for your mother and grandmother to work their magic on my brother's heart.

Be well, nephew.

 

Your doting aunt,

Wini

 

 

 

 

[2] This is the grand building Famous-Barr occupied before moving into the Railway Exchange. It was constructed in 1875 as the home of Crawford's department store, which the May Company acquired and merged with Famous in 1904.

[4] Lammert Furnishing Company was founded in 1861 and is still in business today. Here is their downtown building, which was constructed in the 1890s.

[5] Lammert chair vid and picture

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You already know how much I enjoy this story and its format. You also must know how much I am enjoying Wini and Bauer get to know one another. He surely trusts her now. I very much wonder, and hope, that Thomas and Malcom will come west for a visit. But perhaps that is far too present for the way you are telling this story. In the meantime, there certainly appears to be plenty for Wini to work her wonders on. Many thanks for this enchanting look at Belle Epoque America.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

As a boy I wore Buster Brown shoes and always thought he dressed funny.
It's interesting, if a young unmarried woman of today was to simply scoop up a orphan boy to take for meals and clothes people would look askance and perhaps question her motives. Then it was quite accepted for that to happen ... innocence.
We'll likely never know what idoicy her brother engaged in at the Thanksgiving table but it seems enough to have annoyed his mother into taking intervening action.
Bauer is not dumb and like every boy has dreams of something more. Him sitting in the chair wishing to be King of Someplace brought tears.
This is another wonderful installment not only in the tale but also in the series of stories revolving around Famous-Barr.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/07/2016 03:45 AM, Parker Owens said:

You already know how much I enjoy this story and its format. You also must know how much I am enjoying Wini and Bauer get to know one another. He surely trusts her now. I very much wonder, and hope, that Thomas and Malcom will come west for a visit. But perhaps that is far too present for the way you are telling this story. In the meantime, there certainly appears to be plenty for Wini to work her wonders on. Many thanks for this enchanting look at Belle Epoque America.

Thank you for a wonderful review, Parker. Wini and 'king' had a special day indeed, and now we know the meaning of the title. I hope that worked when you read it. As for a visit by Thomas and Malcolm…. Well, my lips – or shall I say the envelope – is still sealed ;)

 

And thank you for 'enchanting.' That is such a fine and beautiful compliment. :yes:

Link to comment
On 07/07/2016 03:57 AM, dughlas said:

As a boy I wore Buster Brown shoes and always thought he dressed funny.

It's interesting, if a young unmarried woman of today was to simply scoop up a orphan boy to take for meals and clothes people would look askance and perhaps question her motives. Then it was quite accepted for that to happen ... innocence.

We'll likely never know what idoicy her brother engaged in at the Thanksgiving table but it seems enough to have annoyed his mother into taking intervening action.

Bauer is not dumb and like every boy has dreams of something more. Him sitting in the chair wishing to be King of Someplace brought tears.

This is another wonderful installment not only in the tale but also in the series of stories revolving around Famous-Barr.

Brown Shoe Company was such a major force in the U.S. economy, and just one of several giant Saint Louis firms in that industry – International Shoe and Florsheim (who had their flagship store across Seventh Street from Famous by the way) are just two others. Tennessee Williams' miserable time at International is immortalized in his play "The Glass Menagerie."

 

As for the system now, foster care has replaced all orphanages, so an altruistic interest like Wini's could take a different form. It's an interesting point you raise, and I think people then just thought 'charity starts at home' for the most part. They would probably look on Wini's efforts as a bit 'sad,' as she had no family of her own to look after – and yes, they were rather cruel in their opinions. They also looked on kids like Bauer as the 'product of sin' and thus rightly doomed to a tough lot in life. However, all this being said, another suit the boy is given does play a part later on, and particularly as it's rolled up into Wini's emotional response to the gift.

 

So now we know the meaning of the tile, and you make me so feel so honored that Bauer sitting in chair brought you to a state of tears. Thank you, Dugh, for a truly wonderful review!

Link to comment

This chapter is so touching and warm. Wini's reaction to Bauer at the store made me a little choked up. She's feeling the distaff part of her nature and she doesn't like it, and loves it. I also loved the Buster Brown discussion. I saw an ad a couple of weeks ago online and I thought you HAD to include it and you did. I love your inclusion of these references. So endearing and well-rounded.
i like the hints at the beginning about the blow out. These things percolate, as my grandma always says. Stories aren't blurted out. The uncomfortable happenings are embarrassing for everyone involved.
As always, a wonderful chapter. I love Wini and can't wait to hear more about what happened with Thomas.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I loved this chapter AC. Warm, touching and very human. I wonder what will become of her brother, Thomas' father and Thomas? But it's Wini and Bauer's shopping trip, their time together, and the growth of their relationship that is so interesting and wonderful. Can't wait for more.. thanks AC!!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

A rewarding and telling chapter, AC!

 

Wini lets her emotions slip out and Bauer--what can I say about Bauer?
Each time I read this chapter, the description of him sitting on the large chair, with his feet straight out, brings a tear to my eye. Every single time!!

 

Thanks for this wonderful story.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

We can pretty much assume the unpleasantness that went down at Thanksgiving.. I guess it was too much to expect that it wouldn't be so.. Poor Thomas. He must have known he was taking a huge chance, yet he did anyway. It is unfortunate the outcome.

 

Wini and Bauer's shopping trip though, had all the charm and pleasure to put that aside for now. Their whole exchange was just so delightful and I enjoyed seeing them get to know each other.. I forget sometimes that Bauer is only 8. I actually teared up this time, imagining him sitting on that chair.. My heart hurts for him more having had to hear McIntire's bride refer to him as a dummy. You hear that often enough, you start to believe it. No doubt though, Wini is well on her way to restoring his faith in things like Santa and helping to prove how bright he is..

 

Another great piece AC!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

When I first started to read English books I made very slow progress, for I had the dictionary right beside me and looked up every single word I didn’t know. Gradually that need diminished and now it’s only occasionally I look up a word. It was bloviating that made me do it this time. What a beautiful word. It’s added to my memory to stay there.

 

The hinting is so subtle. Wini and her mother probably “know” or “suspect” the nature of the friendship between Thomas and Malcolm, but avoid being explicit about it. It’s wonderful to imagine how they would talk face to face about the subject, something we’ll never know.

 

I doubt Mr. McIntire will be pleased when he finds out about the clothes Arnold got from Wini. It could be interpreted as a slap on the wrist. His new spouse certainly will not be pleased, for the money spent on a dumb creature might as well have been thrown away. Maybe in the end she will turn out to be a pleasant person, but for the time being I can get no warm feelings for her.

 

It was great having the “Lammert throne” visualized and to discover that Bauer is the King from the title.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/07/2016 12:30 PM, Cole Matthews said:

This chapter is so touching and warm. Wini's reaction to Bauer at the store made me a little choked up. She's feeling the distaff part of her nature and she doesn't like it, and loves it. I also loved the Buster Brown discussion. I saw an ad a couple of weeks ago online and I thought you HAD to include it and you did. I love your inclusion of these references. So endearing and well-rounded.

i like the hints at the beginning about the blow out. These things percolate, as my grandma always says. Stories aren't blurted out. The uncomfortable happenings are embarrassing for everyone involved.

As always, a wonderful chapter. I love Wini and can't wait to hear more about what happened with Thomas.

Thank you, Cole! If it's the same point in the story, then I will say the 'we don’t pay back gifts' moment got to me too when I wrote it. It was just the perfect logic to use with a child who had never been given much in life. With Buster Brown and the other elements, I just try to put myself in their life and see what they are seeing. Commercial pop culture has been a large part of American life for a long time. In my recent research, I even found a wonderfully self-aware cartoon of Buster Brown where his Christmas morning is filled with toys and 'junk' branded with his name. Reminded me instantly of Bart Simpson complaining about the over-licensing of Simpson products. :0

 

Thanks again for your warm support. I appreciate it.

Link to comment
On 07/07/2016 07:55 PM, Mikiesboy said:

I loved this chapter AC. Warm, touching and very human. I wonder what will become of her brother, Thomas' father and Thomas? But it's Wini and Bauer's shopping trip, their time together, and the growth of their relationship that is so interesting and wonderful. Can't wait for more.. thanks AC!!

Thank you for a wonderful review, Tim. You have kind things to say, and I appreciate them a great deal. The woman and boy do have something brewing; I suppose the clerk at the store saw that as well. As for Thomas et al, we may learn a tiny bit more next installment.

 

Thanks once again!

Link to comment
On 7/7/2016 at 7:42 AM, skinnydragon said:

A rewarding and telling chapter, AC!

 

Wini lets her emotions slip out and Bauer--what can I say about Bauer?

Each time I read this chapter, the description of him sitting on the large chair, with his feet straight out, brings a tear to my eye. Every single time!!

 

Thanks for this wonderful story.

Thank you, skinny. If you remember, the '29 novella contains a reference to the Catholic church giving an orange to every child after midnight mass, and that the information came from my father. Well….he too sat in Lammert's chair and would tell me all about it. So it made its way into this tale. In addition, the rococo chandelier mentioned in the store's display is grounded in actuality. My dad was an antiques dealer, and one day when I was about 17 or so, a massive rococo chandelier (never electrified) wound up in his shop. He told me – insisted really – that it was the very same one Lammert's always used in their Christmas displays back in the 1920s. I bought it from him and had in storage for a few years until he sold it without my permission, so anyway, that piece of history made it into this story as well.

When I saw the chair featured on Antique Roadshow, I was pretty amazed. There was something 'legendary' to me brought to the show by a Lammert family member, so it gives credence that the chandelier belonged to the store at one time as well.

Thanks for a great review. You're the best!

Edited by AC Benus
Link to comment
On 07/08/2016 01:11 AM, Defiance19 said:

We can pretty much assume the unpleasantness that went down at Thanksgiving.. I guess it was too much to expect that it wouldn't be so.. Poor Thomas. He must have known he was taking a huge chance, yet he did anyway. It is unfortunate the outcome.

 

Wini and Bauer's shopping trip though, had all the charm and pleasure to put that aside for now. Their whole exchange was just so delightful and I enjoyed seeing them get to know each other.. I forget sometimes that Bauer is only 8. I actually teared up this time, imagining him sitting on that chair.. My heart hurts for him more having had to hear McIntire's bride refer to him as a dummy. You hear that often enough, you start to believe it. No doubt though, Wini is well on her way to restoring his faith in things like Santa and helping to prove how bright he is..

 

Another great piece AC!

Thank you, Def! Maybe I sound bad, but I do love to hear my work made you break down – or, at least get close to it ;) Yes, count me among the 'dummy' kids, the ones who had to hear it growing up. But sometimes it works out all right.

 

Thanks for another review, and I think you will enjoy the next chapter as well. Cheers.

Link to comment
On 07/08/2016 05:08 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

When I first started to read English books I made very slow progress, for I had the dictionary right beside me and looked up every single word I didn’t know. Gradually that need diminished and now it’s only occasionally I look up a word. It was bloviating that made me do it this time. What a beautiful word. It’s added to my memory to stay there.

 

The hinting is so subtle. Wini and her mother probably “know” or “suspect” the nature of the friendship between Thomas and Malcolm, but avoid being explicit about it. It’s wonderful to imagine how they would talk face to face about the subject, something we’ll never know.

 

I doubt Mr. McIntire will be pleased when he finds out about the clothes Arnold got from Wini. It could be interpreted as a slap on the wrist. His new spouse certainly will not be pleased, for the money spent on a dumb creature might as well have been thrown away. Maybe in the end she will turn out to be a pleasant person, but for the time being I can get no warm feelings for her.

 

It was great having the “Lammert throne” visualized and to discover that Bauer is the King from the title.

Yes, the King of the title is reveled, or dare I say crowned ;) Thank you for another wonderful review, Peter.

 

Yes, bloviating is a good word. Sometimes I keep a little list of terms I would like to work into a work of mine, and this was one. Next on the list is 'meme,' but first I have to figure out what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks the damn thing means!

 

It's interesting you mention the suit of clothes; I do think there will be a ripple effect.

 

Thanks for all your support, my friend. I love every review, but treasure yours as well.

Link to comment

Sorry I missed this one AC. I'm catching up after reading a very long story elsewhere. :)
I love the way Wini is so involved with making Bauer's life better--and it pains me that she can't do as much as she'd like. I almost cried when he sat in that big throne at the furniture store and said he'd like to be king of his own place some day.
So McIntyre's new wife has always been a bitch? No surprise there. Knowing what's ahead makes me almost sick...he wants to do the right thing for his nephew, and yet has saddled himself with a shrew. She will likely never be the mother Bauer deserves.
Such a little snippet about Thomas' and Malcolm's visit with Wini's brother...I'm sure it was horrible, and hurrah for the two of them spending the rest of the time at his grandmother's.
On to the next chapter, now my friend!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/14/2016 11:51 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Sorry I missed this one AC. I'm catching up after reading a very long story elsewhere. :)

I love the way Wini is so involved with making Bauer's life better--and it pains me that she can't do as much as she'd like. I almost cried when he sat in that big throne at the furniture store and said he'd like to be king of his own place some day.

So McIntyre's new wife has always been a bitch? No surprise there. Knowing what's ahead makes me almost sick...he wants to do the right thing for his nephew, and yet has saddled himself with a shrew. She will likely never be the mother Bauer deserves.

Such a little snippet about Thomas' and Malcolm's visit with Wini's brother...I'm sure it was horrible, and hurrah for the two of them spending the rest of the time at his grandmother's.

On to the next chapter, now my friend!

Thank you, ColumbusGuy! This is a great review, and I appreciate the feedback and support.

 

As I mentioned in other replies, the throne has a family connection, and is small tribute to my dad's memory. It's moving to hear it touched you.

 

You mention Mrs. McIntire in the context of being a mom to Bauer, well…maybe it's no secret to say that the boy never had that thought enter his head. So we shall see. The resort is the next chapter.

 

Thanks again, my friend, for an awesome set of comments.

Link to comment

I think Wini might one day explain to Bauer that he is giving her a gift too when he lets her buy him clothes and shoes and she take him out for lunch and dinner. I'm sure he is clever enough to understand how the giving of gifts can be a greater pleasure than receiving, and how it is harder to receive gracefully than to give, and so his 'gentleman' behavior in indulging her is something for him to be proud of and for her to be delighted over.
I loved the tale of how the first Store Santa came to be and that Bauer made her understand how important this feature was. Her instincts are good in seeing she must bring this up to Mr. May, and this is of course why he employs her - to catch all those trends and currents which flow through the two companies and merge them to a seamless whole.
You leave us wondering of course, what Thomas' dreadful father said and did, but we can imagine and be relieved we don't know the details. Only the fact Wini's mother stood up to her son, and Wini calling her nephew's friend 'your Malcolm' is needed to reassure us those two young men have someone kind and caring on their side. We can all relate to Wini's story of Bauer's wish to be king of someplace, for do we not all yearn for this: a place to be safe and loved and happy? :yes:

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/24/2016 07:00 AM, Timothy M. said:

I think Wini might one day explain to Bauer that he is giving her a gift too when he lets her buy him clothes and shoes and she take him out for lunch and dinner. I'm sure he is clever enough to understand how the giving of gifts can be a greater pleasure than receiving, and how it is harder to receive gracefully than to give, and so his 'gentleman' behavior in indulging her is something for him to be proud of and for her to be delighted over.

I loved the tale of how the first Store Santa came to be and that Bauer made her understand how important this feature was. Her instincts are good in seeing she must bring this up to Mr. May, and this is of course why he employs her - to catch all those trends and currents which flow through the two companies and merge them to a seamless whole.

You leave us wondering of course, what Thomas' dreadful father said and did, but we can imagine and be relieved we don't know the details. Only the fact Wini's mother stood up to her son, and Wini calling her nephew's friend 'your Malcolm' is needed to reassure us those two young men have someone kind and caring on their side. We can all relate to Wini's story of Bauer's wish to be king of someplace, for do we not all yearn for this: a place to be safe and loved and happy? :yes:

Thank you, Tim. You know, your comments got me thinking. Bauer's never been in a position to give gifts. He owns so very little, even the clothes on his back were probably given to him by the orphanage with the 'guilt' of needing charity to even clothe him. Perhaps the very selflessness of Wini's offer is what throws him off. I suppose we as children need to be taught how to give as well as receive, but in his case, maybe all the giving has come with an emotional price. Intriguing, I don’t know….

 

As for the origin of the department store Santa Claus tradition, knowing it started at Barr's, and realizing how willfully obscured that history is, was one of the prime motivators for me to even begin this series. The 1880 story will be the concluding one of the set, and I hope I can dig some more into how this idea was born. It's one that changed the world!

 

Thanks again for your kind words and amazing support along the way. You've made my road easier.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..