Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 3,008 Words
  • 1,751 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wini and the King of Someplace - 3. III. Part 2 – Autumn/Winter 1912 Chapter 1: "He's dumb, Miss Barrett"

III. Part 2 – Autumn/Winter 1912

Chapter 1: "He's dumb, Miss Barrett"

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1912

Thursday, September 12th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Marquette Hotel, Saint Louis, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Progress on completing the new building is slow. The construction company was supposed to be ready to turn over the structure for outfitting December 1, but that will not be happening.

Just as well, as Mr. Salomon's appointments for the interior are requiring some serious coordination. The quarry in central Missouri supplying the onyx for the First Floor Soda Fountain is busy cutting and polishing only the choicest specimens for us.

At lunch with he and Mr. May the other day I learned why this fountain is being treated as such a priority. It seems back in time The Famous Company had a thirty-three-foot-tall example in its store. This was no ordinary soda siphon, but shaped like a three-story building and executed entirely in marble and sterling silver. It was originally made for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia and was the store's greatest treasure, but also sadly destroyed in the 1892 fire, which nearly succeeded in closing the company's doors for good. That's when Mr. May stepped in to rescue the firm, not to mention greatly expanding and making it the shining jewel in the May Company crown of businesses.[1]

At this lunch it was also discussed – and decided by my employers – that I should assist Mr. Salomon with the plans. A liaison position to get approval from the various department heads, and smooth out any department operational differences. We'll have to see when the contractor can hand over the keys, but I suppose this new assignment will, plus the photography efforts for the Welfare Association souvenir edition, keep me in Saint Louis well beyond my twelve-month leave from Boggs & Buhl.

Oh well, I have been growing a bit fond of this place, and its people, to tell the truth. And I feel sorry for Bauer. McIntire treats him no better than a servant, but the lad is faithful, and polite too. I've been talking to him on occasion, and have resolved to do him a little good turn. I think he's had few of those in his young life, and as for the uncaring chatter going around the company that he's un-teachable, my lunch conversations with the boy prove him to be bright and engaged. And best of all, he's curious. Many of those wagging their tongues may be able to boast of a high school diploma, but few could follow up the credentials with the fact of actually being inquisitive about anything. How Sad.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

 

Saint Louis, Mo.

Thursday, October 3, 1912

 

Dear Thomas,

 

It's funny the things you ask me about, but I like your wide array of interests. You wanted to know if I had heard of this new thing called a 'parachute,' and how it was tested here at an airfield in Saint Louis County. Well, I spent a leisurely Sunday afternoon looking though the newspapers at my hotel, and found out it's true. Apparently a Captain Albert Berry jumped out of a plane with nothing more than a silk bag strapped to his shoulders to save his life. As he landed unharmed on the grassy fields of Jefferson Barracks, one can only assume his risk to life and limb was worth it.

Apparently the Army Air Corps thinks so too, as they are signing a contract with him. Well, well, times are changing.

Speaking of which, it is still a little strange to see the new flag flapping. My whole – relatively young – life, 'the flag' had forty-six stars, and now it has forty-eight! Since Arizona and New Mexico were the last two continental territories, I suppose we will be looking at 48 stars for quite a while, but you never know. Maybe once our canal is built, Panama will want to join the Union.

With politics, I appreciate your point of view, but I'm not sure about Teddy Roosevelt's chances of getting elected president again. The Republicans were never very happy with him, what with his creating the National Parks system by a stroke of his pen as an Executive Order, and his gathering up of private utilities into large umbrella companies to offer electricity and phone service basically 'at cost' for the people, but Teddy as a Progressive Party candidate has a hard row to hoe. He'll probably split the GOP vote and let Woodrow Wilson and the Democrats take the White House. But, so be it. Wilson will be more progressive than the GOP candidate, for we've already seen how four years under Taft has nearly stymied growth; it always happens when they are in charge for a while. Too much money gets siphoned up to the wealthy when the Party of Wall Street Easy-Streeters are left to say the workingman is 'lazy,' while at the same time stealing our tax money to give to themselves.

On a lighter subject, how's life back at school? It's nice to know you and Malcolm are settled into off-campus housing, although I bet traveling to MIT when snow is on the ground will be a bit of a challenge.

Word around the office is, reporters for various trade magazines have been crawling over every inch of The Railway Exchange Building, and reviewing store plans with Mr. Salomon. It seems every magazine from Progressive Architecture to the Plumber's Home Journal (ha-ha) will be featuring write-ups on the structure when it officially opens. And when it does, and the mags come out, I will be sure to collect a pile and send them along to you.

In closing, I thought I would tell you something about Saint Louis you may not know. Ragtime was born here. I was told the first sheet music of this local beat was printed in 1897 and called the Harlem Rag, which confused people who thought it must have a New York connection. It does not, and I can tell you, the whole town swings to it. You hear it everywhere you go, drifting out from downtown taverns – like the renowned 'Maple Leaf' across from Union Station and where Scott Joplin worked – to open windows and parlours in every neighborhood. It gives the city a most charming feel, and reminds me of that untranslatable German word Gemütlichkeit.

Well, here it is, twenty minutes later . . . . I sought out a German dictionary in the hotel library to see how they phrased the meaning. It says "Gemütlichkeit (N.) – The condition of having or promoting an easy state of mind; an easygoing disposition; a good-natured outlook; geniality; pleasantness; comfortableness; and a freedom from pecuniary or political cares. From the adjective gemütlich – jovial; full of feeling; simple; agreeable; cheerful; hearty; affectionate; cozy and snug."[2]

No wonder it's so hard to define! It appears to mean everything honest and good in one's outlook, and that seems to me what Saint Louis is all about.

This town is food mad, as well as very proud of the fact. I think it has to do with the unabashedly German nature of good meals and good fellowship being linked hand in hand. Even its little boys are well versed in the history of its native treats from hot dogs to ice tea. There is some talk that New-York-types are trying to claim the invention of the ice cream cone, which everybody knows was first served at the World's Fair here. Apparently some busybody dug up a patent filing from a few months before the Fair for a disposable dish made of flour paste, which was never meant to be eaten. How ridiculous, based on that such a claim, to try and steal something so glorious as the Saint Louis ice cream cone! Outrageous!

In fact there are plenty of photographs from the Fair of children eating the real thing, and how the genuine article came about is a charming piece of narrative.[3] A local vendor at the Fair was hugely popular. He served his ice cream the usual way, in glass dishes, but found it expensive to replace the many that were 'walking away.' His friend and fellow concessionaire was a Lebanese gentleman making pizzelle nearby. The ice cream man had a flash of inspiration and asked the cookie maker to wrap some pizzelle around pastry cones as they cooled. Viola! Filled with ice cream, and originally sold for two a nickel, both men became famous overnight. That's the moment the 'waffle cone' variety was born, and the horrible, cheap version called the 'sugar cone' was recycled out of the failed ice cream dish patent, but only in the summer of 1905 on Coney Island, in an attempt to recapture some of the glory of the Fair a whole year after the fact.

Anyway, just some information for you to amaze and impress your friends at social gatherings.

For now, Thomas, I will bid you a fond goodnight, and don’t forget to set your alarm clock. Your streetcar will not wait for you in the morning, despite the eye rolling I can see from you even now!

 

Your doting aunt,

Wini

 

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

 

Saint Louis, Mo.

Friday, November 8, 1912

 

Dearest Mother,

 

Yes, Thomas wrote me too saying he was excited to be coming home for Thanksgiving. I can tell you, dear one, not to discount the fact that he is bringing his close, 'particular' friend with him.

If you are able, I hope you smooth the arrival of Malcolm to my brother's house in any way that you can. You needn't tell or suggest to him that they are close, in fact, that may simply draw unwanted attention to the young men, but hopefully you can coax the boy's father into seeing how happy Thomas is. Acknowledging that, by which I mean in a profound way, will go a fair distance in making my brother consider whether or not he wants Thomas to ever be happy in life or not.

In any event, I trust you know what to do; after all, you have been managing your son since before I was born!

Things here at the store have gotten hectic, as gift merchandise is flooding the warehouse for holiday sales. Already there have been some grumblings from the Barr folks that the first combined Christmas of Famous and Barr Co. will be a letdown to longtime Barr clients. I'm starting to see two things: William P. Barr & Company did Christmas big, with storewide decorations and promotions, while Famous has a tradition of focusing on affordable gifts with less of an 'event' feel. This new coordination wrinkle will promise to be a large one.

As for my growing concerns over Arnold Bauer, I have news to report.

I had to find out, so I confronted Mr. McIntire, and here's the way it transpired.

"The latest from the architects!" I said as I rapped on his office door and let myself in. I held up a tube of drawings.

I went to Mr. McIntire's table and started to unpack them.

He rose and came over. "Miss Barrett, you really should schedule these meetings. I – "

"No time, Mr. McIntire. Things are moving fast, and I need your opinion, and hopefully your sign-off on the plans."

"Very well."

He huffed a bit, but pulled out a chair for himself and sat. I stood on the other side and pointed out the sectional cut of the Tunnelway.

"As you can see," I started, "the conveyor belt system will be attached to the tunnel ceiling. Each floor of the main building will have a packing and unpacking room where customer purchases can be prepared for delivery. They are dropped down a spiral chute and land on the conveyor belt for transport a block underground and up several stories into the Saint Charles Street package delivery room." The entire time my hand made the show of a bundle being prepared in the store, dropping, being conveyed underground and then going up into Mr. McIntire's kingdom of sorting goods for home delivery: some vans going east, others in the remaining directions to fan out for dozens of miles.

I glanced at him to see if he approved of the arrangement.

Instead of inspecting the sectional cut, he appeared to be eying me.

Curtly I asked, "Well?"

A smug tone appeared in his voice. "Well, Miss Barrett. What do you think of the approach?"

I was stunned. "I. . .I think it's a fine solution, as no deliveries to or from the main store will happen in the customers' view."

"In addition . . . ." His hand swept along the drawing in the opposite direction as mine had. "Merchandise from the warehouse will travel down from the ten floors of the warehouse into the Tunnelway and be portered on mobile palates known as 'trucks' to the service elevators of the main building. Then they will be taken up to the various floors for sorting and pricing." He paused. "But you did not answer my question. What do you think of the concept?"

"Well, I thought I had. I think it's fairly well genius. No other department store in the world has such a sophisticated system. It's brilliant."

"Thank you."

My skin prickled with dislike for the man. What was his meaning?

"It was my concept, Miss Barrett, so it's nice to receive validation that it will function just fine – even if the opinion comes from a novice and outsider."

He made it near impossible for me to respect him. Self-aggrandizements in business dealings are at the very least unprofessional, and in the extreme, obnoxious.

I learned something about the man in that moment, and whether he wanted to aid me in my approach to 'handling' him or not, he did.

I slipped on a grin. "Very impressive, Mr. McIntire. When the store and warehouse are up and running, you will be able to walk the Tunnelway with pride and a feeling of accomplishment."

Bingo. He relaxed and drank the unctuous honey of my praise like a tree-bound bear.

I gestured to the signature box in the lower right hand corner of the drawing. "Please sign."

He rose nosily, pushing the wooden legs of his chair across the floor so suddenly, the screeching startled me somewhat.

He went to his desk and brought back pen and ink.

While he signed, I stood too and prepared the plan view for him to approve. I also thought my chances for finding out more about the mysterious boy were slipping away.

He glanced over the plans in silence, gripping the edges of the paper to hold up the blueprints.

"I believe . . . " I started tentatively, my voice and demeanor coy. "That congratulations are in order."

"Hmmm?" he intoned with distraction.

"Your wedding, to a young woman."

McIntire laid the plans down; his face was initially blank, but a moment later began to take on color. "How did you – "

"People mentioned it in the office. And I thought I'd wish you the best of luck."

"Miss Barrett, I'd appreciate your discretion in not passing along this rather private information."

I pursed my lips and made a slight bow of deference. "As you wish."

He signed the plans, and I seated myself across from him.

"Another matter, sir, is on my mind."

"And what is that?" He organized and rolled up the drawings.

"What exactly is your relationship with Arnold Bauer? I mean, why is he here?"

Through barely controlled anger, McIntire told me, "My motivation for keeping an eye on that boy is none of your business."

I must have looked dubious, for he continued.

"He's dumb, Miss Barrett. Can't write, gets his letters all mixed up. A vocational opportunity is the kid's only shot in life. So the orphanage took him out of class – he was wasting the teacher's time anyway – and did a work-release program with the store. As I was the one who requested it, as I was the one who signed him out, I was put in charge of overseeing Bauer, and that's what I have done, Miss Barrett. That's all I have done."

He stood, handing me the architects' designs, and our meeting was over.

Well, Mother, as you can see the confrontation was a tad on the dramatic side, but I still sense there is more to be uncovered. If one cannot find a truth by direct examination, then one must approach it from another angle.

In any event, the boy is not 'dumb,' and as a teacher, I am sure you could puzzle out a way to assist the child figure out his letters in the correct way.

For now I will content myself with our occasional lunches, but cannot take him to very many places dressed as he is in boots and overalls.

I will have to think of a solution.

That's all for tonight, dear Mother, so I will bid you sleep well and take care of yourself.

   

Your affectionate daughter,

Winifred

 

 

 

 

 

 

[1]An engraving of Famous' Great Centennial Arctic Soda Fountain from 1883.

And here is an agéd photograph of the fountain at the 1876 World's Fair

[2] Paraphrased from Ludwig Bemelmans' Introduction to Lüchow's German Cookbook (by Jan Mitchell, New York 1952)

[3] The oldest known image of ice cream cones: a snapshot from the Saint Louis World's Fair. This photograph was featured on a U.S. postage stamp as well.

Incidentally, the pizzelle gentleman's family is still in the ice cream business. I saw this on a recent television program – something like Guy's Big Bites – where the family's shop in a Southern state is featured. They are well aware of the real history of the treat, and proudly told the host all about it.

 

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So Aunt Wini has puzzled out Thomas' relationship with his friend and approves as the young man is happy. Good on her.
As we know a bit about future Christmases at Famous-Barr it's interesting to learn from whence the practice came.
Winifred seems to believe there is more between McIntyre and the boy Bauer. Does she suspect them to be related or something less wholesome?
Still as intriguing as it began, this is a fine tale.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Winifred is an excellent observer and a wily operator. I would not like to be on her bad side. She has clearly divined Thomas' particularity with Malcom, and you let the reader in on that so very subtly. It is so like being able to scan through, archives, I feel as if I am reading original documents. What is McIntyre protesting about? Surely he's done a noble thing, hasn't he, taking an orphan on his own to educate and train? In fact he protests strongly and in great volume. No doubt Winifred will be able to draw her own conclusions. Great chapter AC! Hope you ca dig up more letters soon!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2016 03:29 AM, dughlas said:

So Aunt Wini has puzzled out Thomas' relationship with his friend and approves as the young man is happy. Good on her.

As we know a bit about future Christmases at Famous-Barr it's interesting to learn from whence the practice came.

Winifred seems to believe there is more between McIntyre and the boy Bauer. Does she suspect them to be related or something less wholesome?

Still as intriguing as it began, this is a fine tale.

Thank you, Dugh! One of the most daunting and interesting aspects of this project was considering the 'negative space.' What we see is the high relief created by Wini; what we do not see is anything Thomas or her mother says in reply.

 

In this chapter, I think the not knowing when, how or if Thomas spoke of Malcolm as more than a friend, versus the possibility of Wini 'just figuring it out' is successful. It builds interest, and the negative space adds to what we know via its absence.

 

As you can see, your review got me thinking, and I love that.

 

Concerning your last point, more negative space is forced to be thought about, but this time the unknown dimension relates (if there is any) to Bauer and Mr. McIntire. His reaction is vehement though; that I will agree with you on.

 

Thanks again for a wonderful review!

Link to comment
On 06/30/2016 07:54 AM, Parker Owens said:

Winifred is an excellent observer and a wily operator. I would not like to be on her bad side. She has clearly divined Thomas' particularity with Malcom, and you let the reader in on that so very subtly. It is so like being able to scan through, archives, I feel as if I am reading original documents. What is McIntyre protesting about? Surely he's done a noble thing, hasn't he, taking an orphan on his own to educate and train? In fact he protests strongly and in great volume. No doubt Winifred will be able to draw her own conclusions. Great chapter AC! Hope you ca dig up more letters soon!

Thank you, Parker! Yes, the desired sensation I wanted was like looking through a box of old mementos. My editorial decision early on not to have any replies from Thomas or Mother is based on that scenario, as the archive 'found' would naturally be one-sided.

 

This decision led to lots of intriguing negative space, and I still don’t know for sure if Wini sussed out the close relationship between Malcolm and her nephew, or Thomas told her as much. We'll see more that may point to the latter possibility later on in the novella.

 

As for McIntire's reaction…I might point out that the exchange featured another rather unusual reaction he had…

 

Thanks again for a great review!

Link to comment

Wini figured Thomas and Malcolm are more than friends. She's smooth about it too. How awesome is her advice to her mother, not to draw attention to Malcom. I hope we get to read how that dinner went over with her brother...
Now she has McIntire under her scope. I like that she's not at all put off by his 'dramatic' response. 'That's all I have done.' says McIntire. Knowing what he reveals about his relationship to Bauer in Scraps, is he merely stating as a matter of fact, or rather expressing regret for not doing more. He keeps calling Bauer dumb, which rankles me so is he ashamed then.. Anyway, I know Wini will find a way to bring Bauer to his full potential.

 

I was thinking of two things. Firstly, I can imagine how many Bauers were sent to vocational schools be caused they were classed as dumb. It's not something that I would usually dwell on, so it kind of gave me pause.
Also, I imagine Wini is just one of the type of woman who forged the way for women to become movers and shakers. She is bold and smart and sharp and perceptive. Not commonplace for a woman back then. I imagine all her insecurities and moments of uncertainty occur behind closed doors or in her letters...

 

But Ive rambled on.. Great AC..

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Yet another lovely chapter. I am very impressed with how you are weaving so many elements in diary and letter form. I feel like I know Thomas and Malcolm. You are giving us just enough information to piece together their life, and I want to know more about them and their triumphs and struggles. The nature of their relationship is clear without you expressly stating so. It's nice to see that Wini is so interested in Bauer. I have a feeling her mother's information will allow her to teach the 'unteachable' little boy, and that he will end up being a success despite society placing such horrible limitations on him. I have to say that I agree with Wini's assessment of sugar cones. lol I've never been a fan. I've always preferred regular or waffle cones. ;)

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Read this early this morning. Waited until i had my laptop up to review it. I love how you've made us see Thomas' true self without saying it, of course I doubt you would have back then. I love the history you weave in because it seems natural Wini would talk about the place where she lives. She's smart and bright and likely that has something to do with having a school teacher mum. Her interest in Bauer is as compelling to us the reader, as it is to her. But I'm not sure she knows exactly why she's feeling what she does. Not yet, anyway. Nice chapter AC, as always.
tim xo

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I smiled at Wini's efforts to understand Gemütlichkeit. Of course, as a Dane I have no such problem, as our concept hygge means exactly the same. Enjoying yourself in cosy surroundings with nice food and plenty to drink, talking with your friends or family in a relaxed manner. Hygge is extremely important in Denmark :yes: and I love that you introduce it here. :D
I saw nothing wrong with Mr. McIntyre's wish to boast a bit and have the genius of his idea for a delivery system acknowledged. What's wrong with being proud of such an accomplishment? Especially since it does not seem to be common knowledge, or Wini would have heard about it. I can even see why he would resent her asking questions about Bauer, but that may be because I know the rest of the story.
Interesting that Wini not only has worked out how close Thomas and Malcom are, but even dares hint about it to her mother. But I guess she knows her well enough to trust with this information. What was the attitude towards such relationships at the time? Were they simply not spoken about but otherwise accepted? I cannot help comparing with the English book/TV series Brideshead Revisited.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm a great fan of books containing letters, for you get to know the authors of the letters so much better. What is sometimes frustrating in those kind of books is, when letters have been destroyed and there are gaps, either on one side of the correspondence or on both.
What you showed in the first three chapters is the ability to not let the reader get frustrated in the way I meant and give enough information to make a convincing story that -given the number of reviews- keeps the reader enthousiastic for more. But above all it doesn't feel forced. To me it feels natural: like I found a box in an attick of an old house, sit on the bare wooden floor next to it and can't stop reading the treasures I discovered.
You may have had your doubts about the form, but you proved them unfounded.
I like the tidbits of information that Wini (her mother being a teacher must have rubbed off on her) gives, that give the story its historical setting. When my historical education fails, there's always Wiki, for us Europeans didn't have to learn the whole range of American presidents in school. So now I know the order at the time was Roosevelt - Taft - Wilson.
And yes, it is stunning that the German word Gemütlichkeit (and the Dutch word with the same meaning gezelligheid as well) has no proper English equivalent; a fact that keeps surprising me.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The tale Wini tells, through her diary and correspondence, wends its way through you to us.

 

In this chapter, words were what struck me.
particular friend OMG
Plumber's Home Journal
Gemütlichkeit (which always creates a picture in my mind of any Austrian dessert mit schlag)
unctuous honey
obnoxious Mr. McIntyre

 

I don't know, just something about those words forces their part of Wini's story into me a little more strongly.

 

A very wonderful chapter, AC!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well you've done it again, AC...brought the world of 1912 to life in a way that makes us all keen to know more. I had no clue about the conveyor system being used so early, and am intrigued that Mr. McIntyre came up with the design for FB.
Ah, so Thomas and Malcolm are 'particular' friends...I had a good laugh at that euphemism. Once mre, you bring forth the atmosphere of the time to life for us. The hardest thing, I think, for us today is to believe that so long as it was kept quiet, no one had a problem with same-sex relationships. We assume that intolerance was rampant before our 'enlightened' age, but it was all about appearances then, not what went on in private.
I have to remind myself still that Bauer's true relationship with his 'boss' is still unknown. He sounds dyslexic, so I'm sure you'll find a way to ferret out how such things were addressed back then. We learn so much from you that hadn't occurred to us to question.
I regret to say that I haven't followed any discussion grouops since I got home--it's very difficult for me to do so via narration...so excuse this query if it's been mentioned there: I don't understand the structure of the chapter titles, i.e., why the Roman numeral III at the start?
Loving this more and more with each installment, my friend!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I really identify with Wini about trying to facilitate family relations. It seems she realizes the value in those connections. I appreciate that. These relationships matter and being a peacemaker is a noble role. Her reaching out to her nephew, her mom, and even herself is difficult but healthy.
As always, you do an amazing job giving us glimpses into the past as well as the pervasive nature of the human experience. Thanks for sharing.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/30/2016 09:47 AM, Defiance19 said:

Wini figured Thomas and Malcolm are more than friends. She's smooth about it too. How awesome is her advice to her mother, not to draw attention to Malcom. I hope we get to read how that dinner went over with her brother...

Now she has McIntire under her scope. I like that she's not at all put off by his 'dramatic' response. 'That's all I have done.' says McIntire. Knowing what he reveals about his relationship to Bauer in Scraps, is he merely stating as a matter of fact, or rather expressing regret for not doing more. He keeps calling Bauer dumb, which rankles me so is he ashamed then.. Anyway, I know Wini will find a way to bring Bauer to his full potential.

 

I was thinking of two things. Firstly, I can imagine how many Bauers were sent to vocational schools be caused they were classed as dumb. It's not something that I would usually dwell on, so it kind of gave me pause.

Also, I imagine Wini is just one of the type of woman who forged the way for women to become movers and shakers. She is bold and smart and sharp and perceptive. Not commonplace for a woman back then. I imagine all her insecurities and moments of uncertainty occur behind closed doors or in her letters...

 

But Ive rambled on.. Great AC..

Thanks, Defiance19! Chapter four will have some more intel on Thanksgiving. I love your take on McIntire being dramatic. I don't think Wini has ideas on why he reacted that way; perhaps she just rolls it up with his general unpleasantness towards her.

 

Thinking about child labor recently has made me wonder when school became compulsory. I know STL had the first Public School System in the nation for any major city, starting in the 1870s. It was a huge step – free school for all children – however the picture of kids working are not at all rare in that city, so how did that work? Parents could opt out and sent kids to factories…? Or maybe there was a flow of 'slow' one to the labor market.

 

It would be interesting to find out. As for women like Wini, before I started this series, I hadn't really given much thought to which industry (outside of medicine) women first broke the glass ceiling. Turns out it was retail. Scruggs (another STL department store) boasted that they were the first ones in the country to employ female sales staff, also in the 1870s, so from there management positions came with time and experience.

 

Lots of women leaders on the May and FB teams by 1913, so that's pretty amazing.

 

Thanks for another great review.

Link to comment
On 06/30/2016 09:58 AM, Valkyrie said:

Yet another lovely chapter. I am very impressed with how you are weaving so many elements in diary and letter form. I feel like I know Thomas and Malcolm. You are giving us just enough information to piece together their life, and I want to know more about them and their triumphs and struggles. The nature of their relationship is clear without you expressly stating so. It's nice to see that Wini is so interested in Bauer. I have a feeling her mother's information will allow her to teach the 'unteachable' little boy, and that he will end up being a success despite society placing such horrible limitations on him. I have to say that I agree with Wini's assessment of sugar cones. lol I've never been a fan. I've always preferred regular or waffle cones. ;)

Thanks, Valkyrie! A great review and I love it. Bauer's very bright. We still more to learn about his interests, and Wini will tell us. Next chapter will be nice in that regard ;)

 

I appreciate your saying the form and content level is working well in concert. That was my prime concern about this piece.

 

And hurray for the waffle cone!!! Did you happen to check out the image from the World's Fair…? Very Buster Brown hats on display.

 

Thank you, again. I'm happy you are reading this work.

Link to comment
On 06/30/2016 07:57 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Read this early this morning. Waited until i had my laptop up to review it. I love how you've made us see Thomas' true self without saying it, of course I doubt you would have back then. I love the history you weave in because it seems natural Wini would talk about the place where she lives. She's smart and bright and likely that has something to do with having a school teacher mum. Her interest in Bauer is as compelling to us the reader, as it is to her. But I'm not sure she knows exactly why she's feeling what she does. Not yet, anyway. Nice chapter AC, as always.

tim xo

Thank you, Tim! I'm glad you mentioned the weaving in, because placing myself back in that time brought up some sights (like the 'new' 48 star flag), and the engineering challenges and triumph of the Panama Canal. The fact that 1912 was an election year fits in with this being one too, so I tapped into the energy to imagine what it was like at the end of Taft's administration.

 

I think you will like the Wini/Bauer moments coming in chapter 4; we learn a bit more.

 

Thanks again for an awesome review.

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 05:51 AM, Timothy M. said:

I smiled at Wini's efforts to understand Gemütlichkeit. Of course, as a Dane I have no such problem, as our concept hygge means exactly the same. Enjoying yourself in cosy surroundings with nice food and plenty to drink, talking with your friends or family in a relaxed manner. Hygge is extremely important in Denmark :yes: and I love that you introduce it here. :D

I saw nothing wrong with Mr. McIntyre's wish to boast a bit and have the genius of his idea for a delivery system acknowledged. What's wrong with being proud of such an accomplishment? Especially since it does not seem to be common knowledge, or Wini would have heard about it. I can even see why he would resent her asking questions about Bauer, but that may be because I know the rest of the story.

Interesting that Wini not only has worked out how close Thomas and Malcom are, but even dares hint about it to her mother. But I guess she knows her well enough to trust with this information. What was the attitude towards such relationships at the time? Were they simply not spoken about but otherwise accepted? I cannot help comparing with the English book/TV series Brideshead Revisited.

Thank you, Tim, for a great review. I don’t exactly know why there's no word for the concept in English, but sometimes Gemütlichkeit is used. It's an extremely important part of many Midwestern cities, and especially Saint Louis. It's one of the markers of it as a place, as opposed to say Chicago. I suppose the German Catholics who began to come to the region starting in 1815 mixed well the local French Catholics who also liked the finer things in life and to have a good time. I'll revisit this theme in the final tale, the 1880 adventure.

 

As for Mr. McIntire and 'his' innovations, I forgot that I posted the wonderful cutaway drawing showing it on GA already. Here's the link. http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/uploads//gallery/album_1560/gallery_18130_1560_1047472.jpg

 

Concerning views of same-sex couples in America at the time, I suppose that's a good subject to migrate to the forum ;) I have a few opinions, as I'm sure you suspected.

 

Thanks again for a wonderful set of comments.

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 06:42 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

I'm a great fan of books containing letters, for you get to know the authors of the letters so much better. What is sometimes frustrating in those kind of books is, when letters have been destroyed and there are gaps, either on one side of the correspondence or on both.

What you showed in the first three chapters is the ability to not let the reader get frustrated in the way I meant and give enough information to make a convincing story that -given the number of reviews- keeps the reader enthousiastic for more. But above all it doesn't feel forced. To me it feels natural: like I found a box in an attick of an old house, sit on the bare wooden floor next to it and can't stop reading the treasures I discovered.

You may have had your doubts about the form, but you proved them unfounded.

I like the tidbits of information that Wini (her mother being a teacher must have rubbed off on her) gives, that give the story its historical setting. When my historical education fails, there's always Wiki, for us Europeans didn't have to learn the whole range of American presidents in school. So now I know the order at the time was Roosevelt - Taft - Wilson.

And yes, it is stunning that the German word Gemütlichkeit (and the Dutch word with the same meaning gezelligheid as well) has no proper English equivalent; a fact that keeps surprising me.

Thank you for a great review, Peter. It's a genre I've enjoyed from masters like Ring Lardner, and also the 18th century work of Richardson and his novel "Pamela." And yes, the format I decided to do where we only have Wini's side, and large gaps, was a worry for me. It seems I've done all right, and the feedback is very encouraging.

 

I love the analogy of finding a box of old letters in the attic and feeling compelled to read them. That is the sensation I hoped to create, and your comment reminds me of a trove of such correspondence I bought when a teenager. My family went to an auction, and one trunk – with all its contents – intrigued me. I bought it and later found a series of letters from Logan to Nina Ruth Harding, dating from 1922 to 1925. I was so intrigued by them, I bought a second-hand typewriter and typed them up to submit to a publisher. I still remember the rather encouraging rejection letter from Crown Publishing. Lol, oh well. I don’t have them now, but I did donate the archive to University of Illinois' Library system, where I see them cataloged as part of the collection. I'm glad they are preserved.

 

I hadn't connected the dots, but perhaps my work with Logan's letters ultimately influenced how I approached this work…

 

Thanks for another wonderful review. I appreciate it :)

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 09:32 AM, skinnydragon said:

The tale Wini tells, through her diary and correspondence, wends its way through you to us.

 

In this chapter, words were what struck me.

particular friend OMG

Plumber's Home Journal

Gemütlichkeit (which always creates a picture in my mind of any Austrian dessert mit schlag)

unctuous honey

obnoxious Mr. McIntyre

 

I don't know, just something about those words forces their part of Wini's story into me a little more strongly.

 

A very wonderful chapter, AC!

Your opening statement is a beautiful one; thank you, skinny!

 

I will freely admit to loving Wini's line of "…drank the unctuous honey of my praise like a tree-bound bear." It's quite the image :)

 

And so are the wonderful optics of your reviews, which I personally love to receive.

 

Thanks for another great one.

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 11:31 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Well you've done it again, AC...brought the world of 1912 to life in a way that makes us all keen to know more. I had no clue about the conveyor system being used so early, and am intrigued that Mr. McIntyre came up with the design for FB.

Ah, so Thomas and Malcolm are 'particular' friends...I had a good laugh at that euphemism. Once mre, you bring forth the atmosphere of the time to life for us. The hardest thing, I think, for us today is to believe that so long as it was kept quiet, no one had a problem with same-sex relationships. We assume that intolerance was rampant before our 'enlightened' age, but it was all about appearances then, not what went on in private.

I have to remind myself still that Bauer's true relationship with his 'boss' is still unknown. He sounds dyslexic, so I'm sure you'll find a way to ferret out how such things were addressed back then. We learn so much from you that hadn't occurred to us to question.

I regret to say that I haven't followed any discussion grouops since I got home--it's very difficult for me to do so via narration...so excuse this query if it's been mentioned there: I don't understand the structure of the chapter titles, i.e., why the Roman numeral III at the start?

Loving this more and more with each installment, my friend!

You know, now that you mention it, I just looked it up and saw Henry Ford's conveyer belt system only started rolling in December of 1913. I always knew Famous-Barr's system was cutting edge, but know I suppose we must think of it as pioneering. This brings up a recent foray for me into the very trade journals Wini mentions in the chapter (thank you google books!). The structural engineering edition blew my mind. It touts how because of the unheard-of column spacing Famous-Barr wanted in its store, and due to the massive floor size of each of the Railway Exchange Building's floors, a whole new system was invented for it. Steel decking filled with reinforced concrete – it blows my mind because that is THE standard now for all steel frame buildings, and Famous and the May Co. are the reasons it exists at all. I find it amazing.

 

As for same-sex partnering and the family reaction, I once bought an old photograph online. It's from about 1910, and shows a happy male couple. Interestingly enough, the lady who sold it told me their names and how long they were together (incidentally, both from STL but lived in New York). She knows all of this because the men were loved and accepted in the family at the time. I found that wonderful information and printed out the email to keep with the photo.

 

With the Roman numerals, I think GA may have changed…. Used to be all the headings were "Chapter 1," "Chapter 2" and so forth. That makes it uncomfortable for me when posting short stories and other, non-chaptertized segments. However, it looks like they've changed (…?…) Maybe my Roman numerals are no longer needed, idk.

 

Thanks again CG for a wonderful review!

Link to comment
On 07/01/2016 01:50 PM, Cole Matthews said:

I really identify with Wini about trying to facilitate family relations. It seems she realizes the value in those connections. I appreciate that. These relationships matter and being a peacemaker is a noble role. Her reaching out to her nephew, her mom, and even herself is difficult but healthy.

As always, you do an amazing job giving us glimpses into the past as well as the pervasive nature of the human experience. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Cole! You bring up an interesting point, and at one juncture I considered sending Wini 'into the fray' at Thanksgiving, but alas – we will find out what happens in Pittsburgh in the next installment. I suppose that her character as peacemaker is well suited to 'Integration Consultant.' She's found her niche, and who knows…Mr. May is not done shopping for companies by a long shot ;)

 

You offer me wonderful compliments here, and I want to say I appreciate them – and you – a great deal. Thanks for following this novella, and for offering me support.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..