Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 3,326 Words
  • 1,434 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Wini and the King of Someplace - 2. II. Part 1 – Chapter 2: Lunch at the Chili Parlour

II. Part 1 – Spring/Summer 1912

Chapter 2: Lunch at the Chili Parlour

 

Saint Louis, Mo.

Thursday, June 13, 1912

 

Dear Mother,

 

Thank you for your letter. It's nice to know the daylily plants are thriving. By the end of the month, the south side of our house will be awash in their lovely orange-sherbet. I will report on how the daylilies in Missouri look. Some fellow coworkers in the office insist I accompany them to the Famous resort, and are making me take Saturday off so we can make a proper 'week-end' of it. I protested about how much work I have to do before the launch of the Association, but they turned a deaf ear to my protestations. So, concerning the daylilies – if indeed they have them in this part of the country – I doubt they will be open by next week, but I will find out.

As for Thomas, no, I am not concerned. His letters to me from Provincetown contain a relaxed feel; one of a young man opening his eyes to the world around him and drinking in the pleasure of experience as it comes his way. He writes of hearty Portuguese stew dinners at low-cost eateries amongst the fishing wharfs, and barefoot strolls along the beaches. His roommate and companion is from a very decent Boston family, so tell Thomas' 'Dear Father' to be happy for the boy, for once.

I'm not surprised to learn that my nephew's contentment upsets my brother, but it's excellent opportunity to remind him that his demeanor toward his only son is part and parcel of the young man's desire to spend his summer holiday away from Pittsburgh. I for one can sympathize with the youth. Yes, I know, I can see you rolling your eyes.

Also in your letter, you said how much you like getting news from me. I'm glad you like hearing the little snippets of exchanges I've been having at the store. It gives me encouragement to give you more of them. In fact, do you remember that child I mentioned a little while back? The young orphan boy whom I discovered working in the Delivery Department. . .?

Well, I have a funny little story to convey. One noon this week I was coming back to the store on Seventh Street, after posting a letter to Thomas and buying stamps, and I literally bumped into the boy.

"Bauer!" I exclaimed.

He whipped the cap off his short-cropped blonde head. While looking up into my eyes, a small glint of recognition appeared. "Miss."

"Where are you going?"

"Lunch at the chili parlour."

"Want company?"

The boy shrugged.

"My treat."

The boy smiled. "Sure."

He led the way and soon we were back halfway along the block between Saint Charles and Olive – right across the street from the new store's construction site.

A bright red awning flapped in the June warmth, and Bauer pointed it out to me. I should mention that eateries in the theater district of Saint Louis are plentiful, so this was one I must have walked past any number of times without noticing it.

'O. T. Hodge Chili con Carne and Lunch Room,' the banner said, and included the tagline: 'As Served at the Fair.'[1]

The door stood open so we just went in. A quick moment of orientation, while my eyes adjusted to the lower light, proved confusing. I expected – assumed, really – that we'd wait a moment and be shown a table by a host.

Instead, Bauer sauntered halfway through the restaurant while I stood there. In a moment I caught up, and realized he was in line behind a gentleman in oily dungarees. "This is not a 'sit-down' place?" I inquired of the boy.

"Yes, miss. We order, pick up our food and then sit down."

I smiled; it was not what I meant, but the boy's answer was perfect and complete.

In a few more minutes, I had grown accustomed to the procedure, and the line behind us grew with more and more workingmen and women.

"What's good here, Bauer?"

"The chili, ma'am."

"I reckoned that, young man, but what are the options?"

"I usually only get the nickel bowl myself, but they have a larger bowl with a fried egg on top. And hungry men like the tamales topped with chili."

"Oh my." I suddenly found myself glancing around. "So, this is a Mexican establishment? I don’t think we have any of those in Pittsburgh. Tell me young man, what exactly is a 'tamale'?"

"You never had one? Well, it's a corn pudding type of roll-up with meat filling on the inside. It's good, and not too spicy. Hodge's chili is not too spicy anyway; it's just right."

Somehow the boy's simple and artless reassurance put my mind at rest.

"They also have hotdogs," the boy concluded just as we got up to the order slot.

"What'll it be?"

Bauer looked to me and I rattled off spur of the moment: "Two nickel bowls and two hotdogs on the side, please."

"Twenty cents, ma'am."

I paid and was handed a slip. We waited in line as others ahead of us retrieved their food.

"How long have you worked at the store, Bauer?"

"About six months, miss."

"And you like it?" I was dying to ask why he was not in school.

"Yes."

And that was it. The blonde head before me turned around, and I had the sinking suspicion I was being too nosy. But, he is a mere lad, so surely I am entitled, right?

When called, I handed the slip over and picked up a tray with our workingman's repast. "Where do you want to sit?"

He did not answer, but merely touched my elbow and led me back along the line of hungry people to the front of the shop.

There, constructed across the window, was a high counter with stools. Bauer found a vacant pair near the center and kicked out one for me like a gentleman.

I set the tray down and thought I might have to hoist the boy, but he scampered up like he'd done it a thousand times before.

Only after we sat and divvied up our meal did I see why Bauer 'always sits here,' as he told me. Right across the sidewalk, busy with pedestrians and the thoroughfare moving along with motor carriages and horses, was a drab construction fence. But behind it the glorious new home of Famous-Barr rose majestically.

A few red steel columns stuck themselves into the blue sky, but most of the creamy façade was covering the structure now. The occasional sound of far-off steel men working and riveting wafted in through the parlour's open door to our left.

Bauer planted his elbows firmly on the counter so he could spoon some chili on his 'dog.' He asked with conversational ease, "Where are you from, miss?"

"Is my accent that bad?"

"A little, miss, but you must be an outta-towner if you never heard of Hodge's chili."

"Oh," I chuckled.

"So where are you from?"

"Pittsburgh on the Allegheny."

"Ohio, miss?" He took a bite and chewed with a broad grin for me.

"Pennsylvania."

After a moment, he asked, "How do I get there?"

"You take The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis Railroad Line. Why? Are you making plans to go there?"

"No, miss. . .. Miss. . .?"

"Barrett. Winifred Barrett."

"I just like to know things, is all." Then he repeated items to commit them to memory. "Miss Barrett. The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and Saint Louis Railroad Line, you say?"

"Yes, that's right."

"As I was saying, every Saint Louisan has heard of O. T. Hodge's chili parlour by now."

"Is that right?" I lifted my spoon to try the main attraction. It was meaty and mellow; there was a soft undertone of warm spices, like smoky paprika, but all in all it was milder and more satisfying than I anticipated.

"Yessum. Set up at the World's Fair and a good place for a workingman to lunch, like me."

I glanced at him while I had more chili. "And who did you learn all this from?"

"My boss, Mr. McIntire. He tells me things, and I listen."

He didn't have to add the last part, for he had demonstrated his ability to absorb information.

"Do you have hotdogs in Pittsburgh on the Allegheny? On buns?"

"Why yes, I believe that level of civilization has touched our city's fair shores."

"Mr. McIntire also taught me the hotdog on a bun was first served at the World's Fair. Did you know that, Miss Barrett?"

"No, I don’t think I did." I picked up my frankfurter to give it a bite. It was crisp and grilled with lovely slashes. It too tasted wonderful.

"Mr. McIntire was there, so I don’t see why he wouldn't know. One frankfurter vendor was selling his sausages, but as normally people would sit down and eat, he couldn't do that at the Fair. So he came up with the idea of handing out cotton gloves to folks ordering and standing around eating. Seems pretty quickly he was missin' quite a few, and the laundry expenses were too much for the ones he managed to keep around. He couldn't very well take time to slice hundreds of loaves of bread a day, so he asked his baker friend to make buns long enough to fit his franks, and it worked. Soon he had long lines, and he called his toasty treat 'hot dogs.'"[2]

"Well, now that you mention it, in Pittsburgh we don’t see the buns, only a slice of bread around it."

"Buns are great, miss. Holds relish, and mustard – and chili – real good."

At this point I had to fight every instinct I had as the daughter of a retired teacher not to correct the boy's grammar and slurred words. However, I resisted, knowing such actions had the potential of turning off the spigot of the lad's openness to me, and I wanted to learn more about him.

"Miss, do you have family back in Pittsburgh?"

"Some. I have my mother, whom I live with, and an older brother who is married and has an eighteen-year-old son."

"That's nice. Do you miss them?"

"I miss my mother and nephew. Thomas is enrolled at MIT in Boston, so he's not in Pennsylvania right now."

"And your brother, you don’t miss him?"

"Honestly, I do not. He is a temperamental person, and much older than I am. When we were growing up he was quite the bully. In fact, when Thomas was born I was only eight years old. By the time he was ten, I had already started working at the department store and began bringing him models and toys from Boggs & Buhl. I felt close to him while he was growing up, and seeing my brother's bullying tendencies come out against Thomas and his mother made me want to protect the boy's wellbeing as much as I could."

He just looked at me.

"What is it, Bauer? Am I talking too much?"

"No, miss. I was just thinking that it's nice to have the choice of a family to go back to or not. That's all."

And yes, he was right. I suppose too often in my life 'a family' was something I simply took for granted.

While we ate for a bit in silence, we looked at the FB tower rising across the street.

Bauer mumbled: "Gonna be a great place to work."

I dabbed with a napkin. "It will be quite a treat to work in such a modern facility. The Saint Charles Street Warehouse and Power Plant is almost done as well. That's where you'll be stationed."

"Yes, miss."

"Tell me, Bauer, what kind of boss is Mr. McIntire?"

The young man said 'all right,' but I was still suspicious. I changed the subject, gesturing to his clothes. "You know, coveralls are fine for 'chili parlours,' but you should wear a suit to go to other eating establishments."

"Overalls is all that I have. The orphanage gives out one new pair a year, plus two shirts, and three sets of socks. We have to take care of them to make them last."

I set my food down.

"And shoes, Miss Barrett, they get replaced only when they wear out – one pair every two or three years. Got a deal with the Brown Shoe Company. They give 'em to the orphanage, and Saint Joseph's promises to deliver life-long fans of the Saint Louis Browns ball club."

I chuckled, and felt myself dip my head. "And are you a baseball fanatic?"

"Sure am. I have a nice little collection of baseball cards. I like pictures too. Remind me and sometime I'll show 'em to ya."

"Remind you?"

"I have to get them first. Mr. McIntire keeps my shoebox locked in his desk drawer for me."

I turned my attention back to my chili. "Oh, I see. A shoebox, you say?"

"It's my private stuff. Nothin' pricy, just postcards, buttons – got one for Teddy Roosevelt – some pictures and my baseball cards."

I said casually between spoonfuls, "My hotel has a set of postcards. I'll pick them up and give them to you."

He erupted into a genuine, "Thank you!"

A bit startled, I reassured him, "They are simply of the hotel: their fancy lobby, restaurant and such."

"Don’t matter. I like looking at pictures."

A revisit of McIntire's none-too pleasant demeanor asserted itself. "If you don’t mind me asking, how is your relationship with your boss?"

Bauer immediately responded, "What do you mean?"

"I mean, is he good to you? Does he ask you to do more than you can manage? Does he treat you with kindness?"

This final inquiry seemed to throw him off for a moment.

"He's a good boss."

And that was it. Bauer said no more on the subject, and I did not push him to explain the somewhat brusque treatment of the boy I had seen with my own eyes.

Well, Mother, what do you think of that? The lad has an air of mystery about him, however, a nicer and more articulate young man one could not hope to meet. I will have to do more 'digging' on him.

And so, dearest, kindest Mother in the Land, I must bid you adieu.

Do take care of yourself. Bundle up in the cool evenings, and watch out for those summertime colds. They can be a bear to recover from.

 

Your affectionate daughter,

Winifred

 

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1912

Saturday, July 20th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Marquette Hotel, Saint Louis, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Just a quick memo to jot down the details of our first 'Welfare Association' meeting. The elections were held last week, and the board members chosen were a pleasant mix of Barr and Famous people. During our regularly scheduled lunch a few days ago, Mr. May suggested that since it was my concept, I should sit in on first official meeting. What a gentleman of high class, such as Mr. May, happens to not say can sometimes be more telling than what he does. I think he'd like personal reassurance that the course the Association takes will make the best possible use of the funds the company contributes, and naturally, the group also bears the name of Famous-Barr.

At the opening of the session today I suggested all Association meetings should have published minutes for staff and management to peruse.

That was agreed to and other business quickly came up. Amongst which it was decided to have an employee newsletter. A friendly Welfare Messenger, and that special preparations for a grand souvenir edition of the newspaper to mark the move-in day festivities should start now. It will feature plans and renderings from the architects, statistics on the largest commercial structure in the world, and Famous-Barr as its chief tenant and world's largest department store. In addition, biographies and pictures of the management team, plus photographic views of the interior are planned.

Here's the surprising thing: Mr. Blenkinsopp, the newly-elected president of the Welfare Association board, put my name in nomination to spearhead all the photography needed for the souvenir edition.

Oh my. And I thought my workload was heavy before. However, when I anticipate how pleased Mr. May will be by the news, it makes it worthwhile. Plus, the air of excitement is palpable. We are scheduled to start moving in by February, so the clock is ticking!

Someone in the meeting suggested that information on the management was good to print in the souvenir edition, but the common man also needed recognition. Another person, I do not know who, had a brilliant idea: list the name of every single employee, department by department. There will be thousands of them printed in the back of the booklet. Everyone will be thrilled to see their name engraved and memorialized as having taken part in this momentous day.

Much work to do, but I am looking forward to it.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

Famous-on-the-Meramec, near Eureka, Mo.

Saturday, August 17, 1912

 

Dear Thomas,

 

You will notice this is an extra large envelope. I can see you trudging along the winding streets of your little fishing village resort town wondering what your loving aunt has sent you. It's print material, including some brochures on where I am staying. This is my second visit to the 'Farm,' and I have to say it's an ideal getaway from the bustling city of streetcars, noise and coal smoke.

On the Meramec, all is peaceful and idyllic. Inside the brochures you will see the small guesthouse where I am staying this time. It is peaceful, and with all the windows and doors open, and with the cabin being situated deep in the woods as it is, the cool breeze finds one inside most pleasantly.

I've been sleeping well for a change.

Other pictures will show the river itself, which is wide but relatively shallow. It flows along at such a leisurely pace, many Famous folks – especially the young men – put on their bathing suits and float out in the center for blissful hour upon hour. Others prefer the many rowboats, and there's always a game of relaxed water polo going on. I think you and Malcolm would adore it.

I am glad he is well. I read your accounts with relish about the theatricals in 'P-Town,' as you are calling it, especially the one staged at the end of a pier. Malcolm's friend, this young playwright named Eugene O'Neill, seems subdued and just the sort of person you boys would be 'carousing' with. Your Bohemian summer sounds like it will never end, and I am happy for you.

Give my best to all your friends, and especially Malcolm.

I am tired this evening, Thomas, and will wrap it for now. Do tell me how your 'dinner party' of canned sardines and dried codfish stew went over with your pals. And do try to keep your shirt on! That picture you sent of your little circle sitting around in the evening, topless to 'talk Plato,' is too much for your maiden aunt to think about. Oh, never mind. Harmless fun, and I know if any ladies were present, you would button up.

Good night, Thomas!

   

Your doting aunt,

Wini

 

 

 

 

[1] O. T. Hodge Chili Parlor: be sure to check out the 'Menu' tab.

[2] Commercial equipment to slice bread only appeared at the close of the 1920s, and bakeries resisted it tooth and nail for a long time, saying the bread grew stale quickly after it was sliced. The opposite proved to be true, and eventually 'sliced bread' became the trend.

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh, I imagine Thomas having the time of his life, and with Eugene O'Neill, no less. What a distraction, given that the earlier part of the chapter was so full of interest. Wini got to grill Bauer (though not like a hot dog), and the poor kid stood for it. Wonder how much Bauer will worm his way into her heart. Really liked how Wini's letters convey so much without being obvious in that function. Wonderful storytelling, and I look forward to the next set of letters.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thomas sending pictures of shirtless young men to his maiden aunt, for shame. I think there is far more openness between them then might first seem. Especially with the nearness in age. Though I'm not too certain that was unusual for the time particularly in light of an overbearing parent.
Bauer seems reasonably open to her questions and by turn inquisitive. The interaction between them has provided some interesting bits of information and was fun to read.
Using the form of letters to family and diary entries marks this as far more than a simple story.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

AC, your writing is like being in a feather bed under a beautiful warm duvet: comfortable and a place you never want to leave. Your dialogue is real and warm, description rich and delicious and so very moreish. Wherever you write about, whatever the topic, all I can tell you is, it's never enough and I never want to come home.
I'm loving Thomas' bohemian vacation with his roommate, I hope we get to learn more.
And more about Wini and Bauer .. i like them both and want to know where this pair will end up.
Beautifully done.. loved it, in case you didn't figure that out.
tim xo

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I'm a bit envious of Wini, having such a nice retreat to go to 'get away' and now I'm hungry for chili. lol I'm looking forward to getting to know Bauer better and hearing more about Thomas' bohemian summer. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Such a deft touch, as always, AC.

 

Clever to use the eight-year-old Bauer as the PR man for StL!!
I've heard rumors about those 'Bohemians' in P-Town. :gikkle: Thomas is in dangerous company (or in his element).

 

We can tell already that Wini has won the trust of her temporary employers. That was some pretty radical stuff she convinced them of. I know some people who could have portrayed those bean counters in a movie. In fact I might even be related to one. :o So that was an impressive sell.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

From the "Scraps from a Diary" we learned that Armold Bauer was classified as feebleminded. Whoever came to that conclusion has some serious explanation to do. In Winni's letter to her mother Arnold is portrayed as a very inquisitive and bright young man, which seems much nearer to the actual facts. Great to see their relationship developing.

 

The age difference between Winni and her brother alone can not account for her feelings towards him. I hope to see the reason for the animosity in future letters/diary entries.

 

Oh, and I checked out the menu of O.T. Hodge's. I very much doubt my stomach would react favourably to chili for breakfast. :unsure:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm enjoying the referential way you're connecting the dots. We learn about hot dogs and buns. There are the historical mentions about P-Town and the art set. There are the veiled euphemisms as to Wini's nephew. Finally, we are getting a clearer picture of the young Mr. Bauer. Wonderful stuff. These stories are interweaving in such a delightful way. Thanks for sharing these and so much more. More chili please!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2016 02:51 AM, Parker Owens said:

Oh, I imagine Thomas having the time of his life, and with Eugene O'Neill, no less. What a distraction, given that the earlier part of the chapter was so full of interest. Wini got to grill Bauer (though not like a hot dog), and the poor kid stood for it. Wonder how much Bauer will worm his way into her heart. Really liked how Wini's letters convey so much without being obvious in that function. Wonderful storytelling, and I look forward to the next set of letters.

Thank you, Parker. I love this review. And yes, Bauer got grilled – poor kid (but he also got a free feast!) As for O'Neill, I guess it's time for me to fess up and say I know he was not in P-town that summer. Seems he was in the hospital being treated for tuberculosis. However, I blended time a little, because the following summer he most certainly was there, having a blast.

 

Thanks also for your compliments. I appreciate it a great deal : )

Link to comment

Eugene O'Neil? Stop it.. I love those little things that aren't so little. It infuses such real goodness into the story. Learned about hot dog origins too..

 

I am so taken with Bauer, and I look forward to getting to know much more about him which we will if Wini has her way. I like her connection to him and his easy, open way with her too. Does she perhaps remember her nephew a little.

 

Its no surprise that Wini's ideas and thoughts are taken into serious consideration and implemented. We're still learning about her through the letters, but something about the tone, especially when talking about her brother, lets us know that she isn't to be taken lightly..

 

Thoroughly enjoying this AC. Thanks much..

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2016 09:31 AM, dughlas said:

Thomas sending pictures of shirtless young men to his maiden aunt, for shame. I think there is far more openness between them then might first seem. Especially with the nearness in age. Though I'm not too certain that was unusual for the time particularly in light of an overbearing parent.

Bauer seems reasonably open to her questions and by turn inquisitive. The interaction between them has provided some interesting bits of information and was fun to read.

Using the form of letters to family and diary entries marks this as far more than a simple story.

Thank you, Dugh! This is a wonderful review. I read your review in awe, for the point you make about the photograph proving Wini and Thomas are loving and trusting with one another did not seep to the front of my brain before now, but it's undeniable.

 

I appreciate you saying that my chosen format aids the story; it was a difficult project to approach because of it.

 

For the picture itself, I was inspired by one I found online. It seems O'Neill and his buddies were very much interested in topless 'Plato nights.' I'll see if I can attach it here…if not, please look for it in the FB forum.

 

Thanks again!

 

http://www.eoneill.com/library/touring/images/3a.jpg

Link to comment

I can't understand it, AC--every time I read a chapter of yours, I say 'It can't get much better', but I'm proven wrong each time. In just two chapters, I love Winifred and Bauer, hate her brother, love Thomas and his friends. It's amazing how two children with the same parentage can turn out so different.
Bauer has won my heart already, and I hope things work out for him in the end...just wondering what part Wini will play in his life--it's going to be significant without a doubt.
I've always liked the name Winifred--since I heard it in a movie called 'Tuck Everlasting' back in the early 80s. Very nice film, but make sure you get the original rather than the remake.
How I long to be on the Merrimack at the lodge!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It was interesting to see how Bauer actually ended up asking as many questions of Wini as the other way round, and he even dominated the conversation with his story about the creation of the hotdog. This young gentleman may be as determined and stubborn as his lunch partner. ;)
I loved the way Wini at the same time calmed her mother's worries and at the same time hinted how she should resist her son's attempt at bad-mouthing her grandson and the young man's most natural instinct to stay away from his idiot of a father. I wager Wini has had plenty of experience with counteracting the bullying ways of her brother, and indeed she tells Bauer so herself. His point about having a family being better than no family, even if some family members are unpleasant, is espcially poignant, knowing what I do.
Even though short, it was wonderful to see Wini's idea for a FB Society take wing on the updraft of enthusiasm. And I'm glad to see the same can be said of your story and its readers. :D

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2016 09:38 AM, Mikiesboy said:

AC, your writing is like being in a feather bed under a beautiful warm duvet: comfortable and a place you never want to leave. Your dialogue is real and warm, description rich and delicious and so very moreish. Wherever you write about, whatever the topic, all I can tell you is, it's never enough and I never want to come home.

I'm loving Thomas' bohemian vacation with his roommate, I hope we get to learn more.

And more about Wini and Bauer .. i like them both and want to know where this pair will end up.

Beautifully done.. loved it, in case you didn't figure that out.

tim xo

Thank you, Tim, for a fantastic review! A comfy comforter, eh…? I'll take it! Your comments are all so wonderful and generous, they make me feel snuggled and warm too.

 

Thomas and Malcolm may be planning another trip in the not-too-far-off future, so stay tuned for that.

 

Thanks once again.

Link to comment
On 06/23/2016 10:44 AM, Valkyrie said:

I'm a bit envious of Wini, having such a nice retreat to go to 'get away' and now I'm hungry for chili. lol I'm looking forward to getting to know Bauer better and hearing more about Thomas' bohemian summer. :)

I've been fascinated by the concept of American bohemian culture for quite a while. It seems an interesting blend of politics, poverty and good food! They may have skimped on other luxuries, but seem to me just as foodie-prone as many of us are. I even have a reprint of a 1914 cookbook/restaurant guide called "Bohemian San Francisco."

 

Anywho…apropos of nothing, I thought I'd share a bit : )

 

Your review is wonderful, Valkyrie. I do intend to have a version of Hodge's chili in the recipe appendix later on. Please come back and try it at some point ;)

Link to comment
On 06/23/2016 01:04 PM, skinnydragon said:

Such a deft touch, as always, AC.

 

Clever to use the eight-year-old Bauer as the PR man for StL!!

I've heard rumors about those 'Bohemians' in P-Town. :gikkle: Thomas is in dangerous company (or in his element).

 

We can tell already that Wini has won the trust of her temporary employers. That was some pretty radical stuff she convinced them of. I know some people who could have portrayed those bean counters in a movie. In fact I might even be related to one. :o So that was an impressive sell.

Thanks, Skinny. There used to be, when I was a boy (maybe still is), a great deal of pride-of-place in that place. Someone one once summed it up as San Francisco had an earthquake, and Chicago a fire, but Saint Louis had a Fair! The event that forever defined and fixed the direction of the place was the greatest party the world has ever known, and happy are the memories. People used to talk to me as a boy about the common-knowledge things, like the hot dog and ice cream cone, and the naysayers (from outta town) have subsequently said "No, no, that can't be true," but they only speak from ignorance.

 

Thanks for your great review and ongoing support. I appreciate the heck out of it!

Link to comment
On 06/24/2016 03:29 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

From the "Scraps from a Diary" we learned that Armold Bauer was classified as feebleminded. Whoever came to that conclusion has some serious explanation to do. In Winni's letter to her mother Arnold is portrayed as a very inquisitive and bright young man, which seems much nearer to the actual facts. Great to see their relationship developing.

 

The age difference between Winni and her brother alone can not account for her feelings towards him. I hope to see the reason for the animosity in future letters/diary entries.

 

Oh, and I checked out the menu of O.T. Hodge's. I very much doubt my stomach would react favourably to chili for breakfast. :unsure:

Thanks, Peter. I'm sad to report that the 'Mental Hygiene' movement in the U.S. was strong, and based on the worst sort of classism and Eugenics' crap. My personal awakening to this horrible history came from a film in the early 90s. A true story of a poor man in Appalachia whose wife died, and the State took and institutionalize his children in mental hospitals. Their 'condition?' Being poor. This happened in the 1930s, and the horrible thing is the Eugenics folks would not release the eldest son – but kept him – and castrated him the day before his 18th birthday and the time he would be forced to be free.

 

A short time later, I ran into Jack London's brilliant short story, "Told in the Drooling Ward" – which is set in Bauer's period – and the main character is certainly a smart young man who was caught up and abused by the 'Mental Hygiene' movement.

 

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/TolDro.shtml

 

Thanks for a great review! And I guess a 'workingman's' breakfast is not for us ;)

Link to comment
On 06/24/2016 12:15 PM, Cole Matthews said:

I'm enjoying the referential way you're connecting the dots. We learn about hot dogs and buns. There are the historical mentions about P-Town and the art set. There are the veiled euphemisms as to Wini's nephew. Finally, we are getting a clearer picture of the young Mr. Bauer. Wonderful stuff. These stories are interweaving in such a delightful way. Thanks for sharing these and so much more. More chili please!

Thank you, Cole! This is a lovely review. I love it. Wish I could present you with a big bowl of Hodge's chili as reward.

 

There is a degree of separation in the narration – the way we only have Wini's side of things, and the fact that none of the entries or letters are contiguous – that daunted me when I started out. It's awesome feedback to hear the 'story' is still coming through anyway.

 

Thanks again.

Link to comment
On 06/25/2016 10:32 AM, Defiance19 said:

Eugene O'Neil? Stop it.. I love those little things that aren't so little. It infuses such real goodness into the story. Learned about hot dog origins too..

 

I am so taken with Bauer, and I look forward to getting to know much more about him which we will if Wini has her way. I like her connection to him and his easy, open way with her too. Does she perhaps remember her nephew a little.

 

Its no surprise that Wini's ideas and thoughts are taken into serious consideration and implemented. We're still learning about her through the letters, but something about the tone, especially when talking about her brother, lets us know that she isn't to be taken lightly..

 

Thoroughly enjoying this AC. Thanks much..

Thanks, Defiance19, for a great review! I remember seeing a documentary about Eugene O'Neill and how he and a band of actors staged his early plays at the end of a pier there. Ignoring how I got my years 'wrong' for Thomas and Malcolm to be a part of that, I thought it would be fun. And then I saw a picture of O'Neill's circle of buddies lounging the evening away shirtless and thought that had to make its way into the story too. (You can see the pic on the FB forum. I posted it there.)

 

Yes, lol, Wini will wheedle out of Bauer and his handler as much intelligence as she can. She knows what she's doing; as you say, she's not to be taken lightly. As for Bauer being comfortable with her, I suspect that has to do with being raised by nuns. He's used to female authority figures, and naturally, he's very respectful too. Just a hunch on my part.

 

Thank you for another wonderful review. I appreciate it.

Link to comment
On 06/25/2016 09:24 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

I can't understand it, AC--every time I read a chapter of yours, I say 'It can't get much better', but I'm proven wrong each time. In just two chapters, I love Winifred and Bauer, hate her brother, love Thomas and his friends. It's amazing how two children with the same parentage can turn out so different.

Bauer has won my heart already, and I hope things work out for him in the end...just wondering what part Wini will play in his life--it's going to be significant without a doubt.

I've always liked the name Winifred--since I heard it in a movie called 'Tuck Everlasting' back in the early 80s. Very nice film, but make sure you get the original rather than the remake.

How I long to be on the Merrimack at the lodge!

Thank you, ColumbusGuy! Yes, the photos I have of the Famous Farm make it look truly inviting. By the time Ch. 6 rolls around again, I will see if I can take some clear digital pictures and post them on the forum.

 

It's wonderful to hear that my people have entrenched themselves into you heart so quickly. Next chapter we'll have a more developed image of Mr. McIntire as well….

 

I haven’t see the movie you mention, but I will try to check it out. Thanks for another amazing review, my dear friend :)

Link to comment
On 06/25/2016 09:47 PM, Timothy M. said:

It was interesting to see how Bauer actually ended up asking as many questions of Wini as the other way round, and he even dominated the conversation with his story about the creation of the hotdog. This young gentleman may be as determined and stubborn as his lunch partner. ;)

I loved the way Wini at the same time calmed her mother's worries and at the same time hinted how she should resist her son's attempt at bad-mouthing her grandson and the young man's most natural instinct to stay away from his idiot of a father. I wager Wini has had plenty of experience with counteracting the bullying ways of her brother, and indeed she tells Bauer so herself. His point about having a family being better than no family, even if some family members are unpleasant, is espcially poignant, knowing what I do.

Even though short, it was wonderful to see Wini's idea for a FB Society take wing on the updraft of enthusiasm. And I'm glad to see the same can be said of your story and its readers. :D

Thank you, Tim! '…as determined and stubborn as his lunch partner…' LOVE IT. So cute, and I suppose so correct.

 

I think you've hit on a point when suggesting that Wini is a good peacemaker. That would be a good business tool to have, especially in her position as liaison. As I mentioned somewhere, the Welfare Association was an amazingly progressive reality for Famous-Barr and the May Company. I doubt they had much company in the department store world for many, many years. Mr. May was indeed a visionary.

 

Thanks for your comments and wonderful review. I appreciate your dauntless support.

Link to comment

The title of your story caught my eye today, and I've just read chapters one and two. I like your use of letters and journal entries to tell Wini's story. I especially enjoyed her conversation with Bauer. Don't let him steal too much of the attention away from her. I had to stop a couple of times to Google about places and things mentioned. I am pleased to find the background is factual or based on fact. A good story that I know I will enjoy reading. Looking forward to learning more about these characters. Thank you. Jeff

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 07/28/2016 06:30 AM, JeffreyL said:

The title of your story caught my eye today, and I've just read chapters one and two. I like your use of letters and journal entries to tell Wini's story. I especially enjoyed her conversation with Bauer. Don't let him steal too much of the attention away from her. I had to stop a couple of times to Google about places and things mentioned. I am pleased to find the background is factual or based on fact. A good story that I know I will enjoy reading. Looking forward to learning more about these characters. Thank you. Jeff

Thank you, JeffreyL! This is a great review, and I'm please you gave the story a try. There is much more of Wini coming in the upcoming chapters, so I hope you do continue.

 

Thanks again.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..