Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 4,113 Words
  • 1,842 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 42. Chapter 42

The pain in my heart was astounding. With every passing beat the pain only seemed to grow more and more. Normally being thrown up against the wall would have me pretty shaken up, maybe even angry, but this time was different. This time I was getting exactly what I deserved. I did know what happened to Eli, and I was the reason he was missing. His dad has every right to kick down my front door and shake me up. Hell it’s exactly what I’ll do to Pit when I get the chance.

I heard a few knocks on my door, followed by the jiggling of the knob “Jamie! Please, you have to let me in!” my dad cried out. I fell silent pretending not to hear a word of it “Jamie please!” Once more I just laid there, not daring to do anything.

A few minutes passed before finally I heard a loud click followed by the opening of the door “Go away!” I yelped turning on my side to face the wall

“No Jamie Aaron, this isn’t something you can just run from! I let you get away with a lot, but I can’t turn a blind eye to this! For heaven’s sake you love Eli, don’t you want to get him as much help as possible?” My dad pleaded

“It’s not that simple dad. If I had the chance to help him don’t you think I would?” I forced out with my eyes beginning to water “Don’t you get it? I can’t tell you! If I do they’re only gonna hurt Eli more than they probably have!” for the first time since he was taken the tears began to fall from my eyes “These guys know everything, they’ve taken everything.”

My dad took a seat on the bed, not sure what to say. He placed his hand on my side and let me cry until I had nothing left. We just laid there letting the police radio play out. Finally when I calmed down, he picked it up and examined it. “So this is the big plan huh? Wait for the cops to find something then step in?”

“Maybe, I don’t know” I grumbled between deep breaths “I just feel so helpless. I have a friend who’s trying to help, but I doubt he’ll find anything.”

“A friend?” my dad gently prodded

“Yeah, he was my bodyguard down there. I’ve been sneaking off to his place to work out, and hangout with him and his wife.” I admitted

“You have? I guess that explains how you got in good shape” my dad said in shock “Boy, I really haven’t been paying attention to what you get yourself into, have I?” I ignored the question not wanting to upset him “You really can’t tell me what happened?”

“He was taken while I was racing, that’s all I can say” I felt the tears begin to resume “I just want him here with me.”

My dad began to rub my back “I know you do. Just do your best to sleep, it’ll clear your mind”

“I can’t. Every time I close my mind I can only imagine them taking him, or what he’s going through right now.” I let out between tears

“Just try for me okay? I’ll be right here with you” he insisted

“What am I? I weakly forced out

“What?” my dad responded, not understanding the question or why the sudden change of topic.

“What am I?” I repeated with tears still heavily flowing “Everyone tells me different things, and I have no idea. I don’t know if I deserve love. Jacob and Eli tried to convince me I’m a good person, but I just can’t believe it. I’ve done too much wrong. Maybe I was made for a dark life, maybe I’m meant to be a criminal. I should’ve never started dating Eli. He’s better off without me.”

My dad let out a deep sigh “Only you can answer who you are son. Just because you did bad things doesn’t mean you’re a bad person…no matter how bad they were. Everyone can be saved, never forget that.” My dad tugged on my shoulder and forced me to turn and look him in the eyes “You deserve love more than anyone else in this house, maybe more than anyone I’ve ever met. When your mom died, you had love completely stripped from you. I was worried you would forget how to love, or that you would never experience it again. I tried my best, and so did some of the girls but you just took it so damn hard. You shut us out completely. It wasn’t until recently that you opened back up…it wasn’t until recently that I started to recognize you again. You may try to keep an arms distance from us, but I see that love in your heart, I see that gentleness crying to break out. You and Eli deserve each other more than you know. You’ll get him back, trust me. You’re story isn’t over yet.” He let me lay back on my side “Now sleep.”

I closed my eyes and fought off all the nightmares playing out in my head. I don’t know if it was minutes or hours before I dozed off, hell maybe it was even seconds, but when I did I had the same nightmare from months ago. That damned dream of Eli being taken right from me. The worst part is that even when I woke up, it wasn’t over. I spent Tuesday just as I did Monday. I can’t do anything…I won’t do anything until I know what’s happening with him. The white noise of the radio seemed to become numb to me. I listened to every single word that came out of it, even bringing it with me to the bathroom, or to get food. I didn’t dare miss a word. Not when it could be about Eli. As night fell so did my emotions. I felt an incredible sadness consume me, it was even worse than the sadness that had overwhelmed me on Sunday. The worst part was the only person who could save me from it was missing. That night was the worst night I had ever experienced. Between the agony of my sadness, and the nightmares that danced around in my head, I was in pure pain. The whole situation was nothing but torture to me. I laid awake with tears randomly falling from my eyes. As the sun started to rise I finally fell asleep.

I woke up freaked out that I had missed something on the radio concerning Eli. I listened carefully but was met with nothing but a few updates on search parties and white noise. I looked over at the clock and realized it was time to head to the underground. A world I was once so happy to live in, a world where I thought the real me was held has now become my own personal hell. I got changed into whatever clean clothes I could find, and shoved the pistol right into my waist band. I picked up the shattered frame and stared at the picture inside. I could see the pure happiness and joy in Eli’s eyes, a sight that infuriated me. How could anyone do something so evil to someone so pure? I let it slam back down on the table and rushed out towards my car.

As I was prepping I heard a rustle in the bush that lay on the side of my driveway. Panicked I threw my hand to the handle of the gun still hidden by my shirt. I watched in relief as a small figure popped out and removed my hand from the weapon.

“Where’s Eli?” the female voice cried out, I resumed my way to the car. “Where’s Eli?” she demanded again.

As I opened the front door I felt a light shove from behind “Fuck off Stephanie” I muttered

“Where is Eli?” she screeched with one last big shove. I felt the weight of my body tumble forward, and landed on my back in the front of the car

“Fucking hell Steph, you need to learn when to quit!” I spit back, angry with her nonsense “You’re out of your league here!” I looked up and saw the absolute horror on her face. I quickly fixed my shirt; realizing part of the gun was showing.

“That can’t be real” she said in shock

“Shut the hell up and get out of here. What was your plan anyway? Stay outside my house all day and wait for me?” I demanded

“No, it was to make sure Jacob wasn’t here” she admitted with shock still in her voice “Jamie, what have you done?”

“Nothing” I mumbled standing up “Now get the fuck out of here!”

She took a few steps back in fear “No…you’ve done something haven’t you. What’d you do with him?”

Anger grew in me at the accusation that I would ever hurt Eli “For the last time nothing. Who says I even know what happened to him”

“No one needed to say anything. The look on Jacob’s face after he went missing is all I needed to know. He hasn’t even spoken to me since…So what did you do” she said bravely taking a step forward, I matched her step and she cowered in fear once again “So help me god Jamie, tell me or I’ll call the cops and tell them everything I know.”

I took another step closer and towered over her “No cops” I muttered lifting up my shirt to expose the gun “Stephanie I will put you in the ground right now if that’s what it takes the shut your big fucking mouth.” I watched as her eyes began to water “I warned you twice already, go the fuck home. This isn’t something you can understand, this isn’t something you can handle, and unless you want to be in the aftermath of my wake to find him, go the fuck home.”

“Find him?” she squeaked out, I ignored her and headed to the driver’s seat of my car “Please Jamie, bring him home safe.” I slammed my door shut and started to back out. I watched as she fell to her knees in grief “bring him home safe” she screamed again watching me pull out into the night.

I drove out of anger that night. Every car I cut in front of was out of spite and rage. I didn’t care if the cops would start in pursuit, if anything maybe they could bring the whole underground to justice and save Eli. As I pulled up to the underpass I saw a different guard standing outside the opening, one I had never seen before. I didn’t even stop and wait for his go ahead. I sped right by him, almost running him over. As I pulled into my spot I saw the whole place stop moving to watch me. I was used to being the center of attention during my career, but tonight was different. I wasn’t the main attraction because of my skills but because of what had happened to me.

I pulled my hood over my head, making sure to block my eyes and got out. As I leaned against the side of my car I didn’t dare to look anywhere else but the ground. This was no longer for fun, or to make money, this was an obligation. I saw a few people try and get a look at my face but anytime someone got too close I reached out and shoved them away. I heard some murmurs and whispers but no one dared to say anything to me. Make no mistake, Pit might have me held captive, but I’m still the king down here.

When it finally came time for my race I picked up my helmet and snapped it on my head. I felt anger begin to take the place of sorrow, and bought into it. I needed to race angry, I needed to race hungry, I needed to win. It’s the only way I can keep Eli safe. I looked over and stared my opponent dead in the face. I don’t know if it was the circumstance or the cracked helmet looking back at him, but I could tell he was rattled. As I stepped in my car I made sure to maintain that angry presence I was known to bring. I pulled up to the starting line and revved my engine. The other racer pulled up but quickly pulled away and back into his spot. As he got out of the car I rolled down my window to hear what he had to say.

“Fuck no, I’m not racing that…that…animal. I’ve seen what he does to people.” The racer shouted, one of the guards ran up to him and said something, “No, fuck that! You guys fucked up! You pissed off an already ruthless racer, what the fuck is wrong with ya’ll? We were all taking about this shit earlier” he screamed “No one here wants to race him! He’s going to kill everyone. The only person willing to race him is Dante, and tonight’s his off night” Another few guards ran up to talk to him “All you fucking new guys think you know how this work? You think you know how he operates? Then you go race him! Go ahead the keys are in the car!”

It wasn’t until that moment that I realized every single one of the guards was new. I looked at them all through the open window “Leave the fuckin racer along, he said no. If you guards are so fucking tough, then one of you come take a shot!” I encouraged

“I’ll take him” one of the guards said shrugging “How bad could a kid be? After all I helped take his little boyfriend. I might as well twist the knife more.”

I felt anger surge even further through me “Sorry in advance about your car” I nodded to the other racer. I realized he wasn’t the enemy, none of the other racers were. Only Pit and his men were.

The guard got into the car and pulled next to me. I rolled up my window and the women began her speech. The second I got the go ahead I took off down the crammed street, knowing exactly what I was going to do. When I hit the main highway I pulled into the side lane hoping he would make the rookie mistake most new racers do. As anticipated the guard pulled into the passing lane right next to me in an attempt to box me in. I looked at his face and began to slowly scrape into him. I watched panic begin to slowly set into his face as he realized the danger he was in. With full force I slammed my car into the side of his. I began to lose control, but it was a feeling I knew all too well. I slowly stepped on the brake and steered my way out of it. I looked back at the aftermath of the car flipped over the barrier and kept moving forward. He got off easy compared to what I was going to do to the rest of the guards I told myself. I sped around the normal track as usual and right back into the underpass. As I came to a stop I pulled off my helmet and dropped it into the passenger’s seat. I stepped out and looked at the crowd around me.

“Why don’t you go save your fucking buddy” I said looking at the group of guards that had been standing near the racer “and just know if you helped take my boyfriend, I’m going to do 10x worse to you. You’ll drown in a pool of your own fucking blood” I slammed my door and made my way to pits tent “Money, now!” I demanded

Pit let out a smug laugh “You think you’re going too…”

“Money now! Last time I’m going to say it”

“You raced and hurt one of my guards, you really think you’re going to get paid for that?” he smugly asked

“Yes, I do and I think you owe me last race’s pay too” I fought

“You’re quite the business man when you’re angry aren’t you?” he provoked

“Shut the fuck up and enjoy your last few days before I take your life.” I stared him dead in the eyes “Pretty soon you’re going to find out just how deadly the monster you’ve created is”

“I didn’t create any monster” he smirked “You were like this far before you found me.” He slammed down an envelope of cash and let a tattered red bandana escape from his hand. I watched in anger as it slowly floated to the top of the envelop “I figured you’d want this back too”

I swiped it from the table and tightly held it in my hands “How do I know he’s okay?” I growled “Give me proof now!” I quickly moved my hand to my waist and so did Pit’s guard.

“He hasn’t stopped praying since the day we’ve taken him” the guard answered “That proof enough for you?”

“What prayer?” I demanded

“How the fuck am I…”

“What prayer?” I repeated growing even angrier

“The Hail Mary I think” he finally answered

I picked up the envelope and started making my way out “You have Dante next race…better prepare” I heard pit call out laughing.

I looked down at the red bandana in my hands and quickly made my way to the car before I could begin to fall apart.

The other racer tried to stop me but I kept walking “Sorry, about what he’s doing to you. Shits fucked up.” He began “I never imagined something like this would happen.”

“If you know what’s best for you, you’ll leave and never come back” I responded slamming my car door behind me. I took off down the tunnel and weaved through the aftermath of my takedown. I watched them pull the guard out from his borrowed car. He was alive but in pain. I slammed on my horn as I passed by; a reminder that even though they have Eli, I’m still the king of this shit show. Just like every other ride lately, this one became a blur. All I could remember was randomly looking over at the red bandana sitting there on the seat. Every single time I did my already broken heart seemed to grow more damaged. As I finally pulled into my driveway my phone began to ring. I angrily slammed it on the dash and stared at the screen. I took a breath of hope and picked it up.

“Did you find anything Jason?” I desperately asked

“No…I was just wondering how your race was tonight…I figured you were done by now.” I could tell he was nervous to talk to me

“It was fine” I took an awkward pause disappointed that that was the reason he was calling “There are all new guards, I raced and injured one…it’s a long story”

“New guards?” he repeated “Pit must have some money now that the league has been built up. The original crew was guys like me, men who were desperate for quick cash. These guys must be the real deal huh?”

“I guess” I sighed “Pit said I race Dante next, does that mean anything?” Jason’s side of the call grew quiet for a second “well does it” I demanded growing impatient

“We have to get you out of there” he nervously stammered “You can’t race that guy…he’s trying to kill you to tie up the loose ends. He wants to get rid of you and Eli ASAP”

The nerves in his voice spread to mine and before I knew it I was in a full blown panic “Have you found out anything? Anything at all?”

“I didn’t want to tell you until I had all the information, but I guess now I have no choice. A buddy of mine that quit after the abduction said they were building some sort of cage in Pit’s office but that’s it…he said to apologize to you for…”

“His office? Isn’t that a bit obvious?” I interrupted not caring for the apology

“Not really, it’s what he can guard best, besides the police can barely touch that land. He has so many lawyers and crooked cops on his pay roll…”

“So then let’s hit it tomorrow! We have to!” I demanded interrupting again

“No, not until I know more…not until I have more evidence. If were wrong it could be…it could be…”

“The end of Eli’s life” I said finishing his sentence “I know what it all means…we’ll wait.” I took another deep breath “Thanks Jason”

“I’ll let you know what I find, and Jamie…” I hung up before he could finish. I guess I just wasn’t in the mood for small talk.

I picked up the cash and bandana and sadly made my way into the house. I took a deep breath as I heard the local news blasting in the other room. I quickly raced through but my dad stopped me.

“Anything?” he asked with guilt and sorrow in his voice

“Nope” I mumbled keeping my head down “Couldn’t sleep?” I asked trying to make up for my abrupt phone call with Jason

“Nope” he answered, mirroring my sad tone.

Just then a news update flashed on the screen “No updates on local missing child Elijah Warren. Police say they have cleared a few suspects, but have very few leads. If you have any information please don’t hesitate to call the police tip line.” The correspondent announced. The second a picture of Eli flash on the screen my dad hit the power button. Other than the picture in my room, it was only the second time I had seen a recent picture of Eli since his kidnapping. I threw the envelope of cash at my dad and ran up the stairs, tightly clutching the bandana. I locked the door behind me and slammed onto my bed. That night I could do nothing but cry myself to sleep.

As I woke up it was no surprise that the anger had changed back to a deep sorrow. The pattern of my days continued and I spent this one exactly like the others. The only difference this time was there were a few more radio calls about Eli but they were all dead ends, and more talks of search parties. The later the day got the more chatter picked up about Eli. It was the first time all week that I had even heard so much reference him. I guess whoever was in charge really wanted to put a pin in this. Suddenly I heard a message come across that froze my heart.

“Hey we have an update on that 10-30. A girl from the school called in after school, claiming to be close friends with the victim. She went on about some story of the victim being engaged in underground racing with his boyfriend…”

“That boy Jamie? That’s another dead end, the kids a totally pussy and dumb as bricks. Captain kicked his ass, the kid was totally shaken. I don’t think that kid has left his coddled home in his life.” Another voice interrupted

“Well that kid has a record of being at a race at some point.” The original voice continued The girl said he worked at the local junkyard that’s related to the racing. Worst case it’s another dead end, but you might as well just check it out.”

My heart began to race and nausea consumed me. I quickly picked up my phone from the desk and bobbled it in my hands trying to call Jason. Fucking Stephanie! Come on! Come on! Pick up!

“Hello?” I heard a groggy voice answer

“Jason…the cops….they’re onto the junkyard” I stammered “We have to go now!”

“What? What are you saying?” he replied not catching on

“I have a police radio. Jacob’s girlfriend called the cops on me, and now they want to investigate the yard. If pit sees cops digging around he’ll think I called them and kill Eli”

“We spoke about this last night…”

“Yeah and If were wrong they’ll kill him” I interrupted “but if the cops go there they’re gonna kill him anyway” I repeated “Just meet me there!” I screamed hanging up the phone.

I’m coming for you babe! I’m coming!

2016 Ace
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..