Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 1,093 Words
  • 3,228 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 16. Chapter 16

Under Ground Aliases
The Kid- Jamie Free
Gears- Jacob Palmer
Gizmo- Matty Sanders
*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*

The car just laid there looking as though it had been hit by a truck. As we passed I saw one of Pit’s men drag the body out. I looked away before he could fully unveil it.

The gravity of the situation started to set in. I screamed uncontrollably. I could hear my heart racing in my ears. “He’s dead” I whispered “I KILLED HIM!” I screamed.

“Kid get a grip of yourself.” Jax said reaching back and placing his hand on my knee “You didn’t kill anyone.” I swatted it away and stared at Jacob who had tears in his eyes.

“What the hell happened out there?” Jacob said starting to breathe heavily

“He tried to ram you off the bridge didn’t he?” asked Jax. I took a breathe and closed my eyes, I watched the scene replay in my mind. He tried to kill me, what I did was self-defense.

“I don’t know, he pulled next to me and looked like he was going to try something. I pushed him off the bridge before he had a chance.” Hearing myself say it finally brought me back down to earth. I did what I had to to win... no ... to survive.

Jax nodded his head “You did the right thing. Your opponent was a thug. A street killer who hurt a lot of innocent people, you just made a whole bunch of friends.”

“A lot of enemies too, right?” Matty nervously asked

“No.” Jax said “Tonight his crew will be taken care of. Don’t worry, no one will miss him.” Jax sounded like parent that was protecting his children. “You did the right thing Kid, you all did the right thing.”

I shook my head “there was nothing I could’ve done. It was him or me.”

Jacob wiped away his tears “That roll cage is definitely going in now.” I could tell he understood, unlike the last time this wasn’t some innocent civilian who got caught in the crossfire, it was another racer.

Matty laughed nervously “So I guess not all gay men are pussies.”

“No, we’re not.” I confirmed as Matty dealt out the winnings.

Suddenly Jax’s phone rang. He picked up and spoke quietly to someone for a few minutes before finally hanging up. He told us it was Pit confirming that the wreck had been cleaned up. The rest of the ride was silent as Matty instructed Jax where to drop each of us off. When we pulled up to Jacob’s I got out and hugged him.

“We’ll be okay.” I assured him and he hugged me a little tighter than usual.

I did the same with Matty when we pulled up to his place. During our hug he hoisted me high in the air “You did what you had to.” He said reassuring me

I climbed into the passenger seat and started instructing Jax on how to get home.

Jax looked over at me “You kids are really strong you know that?” I nodded but didn’t say anything “What happened…It’s not your fault.”

“I know” I said finally speaking “I did what I had to, and I won’t lose any sleep over it.” I started tapping my hands on the dash “I just hope we didn’t get you into any trouble.”

Jax let out a deep sigh “Don’t worry about that, taking care of you kids is my job.” He confessed.

I looked at him confused “What?”

“When you started climbing up through the ranks earlier in your career Pit hired me to protect you. I hid in the shadows and watched you from a distance until you really started to make noise. Technically I work for you more than I do him.”

“What are you some killer babysitter or something?”

“No” Jax answered not wanting to share anymore “If you really care about your boyfriend you’ll completely leave him out of this world.”

“Don’t worry, he’ll never know.” I looked out the window “He’d never forgive me if he did.”

“I wouldn’t say that, you’d be surprised at how forgiving love makes people.” I nodded and remained quiet for the rest of the ride back to my house. When we pulled up Jax said he would walk a few streets down then call one of the guys to pick him up.

I stepped out of the car “You sure you don’t want to come wait inside?”

“No, no one can know where you live.” Jax had a serious look in his eyes. I nodded, understanding what he meant. “And Jamie, like I said you did well tonight. I’ve seen a lot of good people die because they hesitated. I guess you’re one of the exceptions.” I froze when I heard my real name come out of his mouth. Jax laughed a bit realizing at how shocked I was “Jacob said your name back when you were hysterical, don’t worry it’s our secret.”

I shook his hand “Thanks, Jax. I don’t know if team kid could survive without you.” He nodded and began walking away…I wonder who he’d pick if it came down to us or pit.

I walked into the house and rushed to the bathroom, I threw up 2 or 3 times before finally getting into my bed. I closed my eyes and tried to get the image of what happened today out of my head but I just couldn’t shake it. I started scrolling through my phone to distract my mind and found selfies Eli must’ve taken when I fell asleep on his shoulder yesterday. He looked so happy as I rested on his shoulder. Immediately the ghosts that haunted me fled. Eli was the reason I ran that guy off the road today. I’ll never let anyone take me away from him, no matter what the cost. I’ll kill a hundred other racers if that what it takes.

Suddenly the burner Jax gave me earlier in the night buzzed.

1 Missed Voicemail- Unknown Number

With a nervous sigh I picked it up and hit the play button

“Hey kid.” Pit growled “I was shocked with what you pulled last race and now I’m astonished with what you did tonight. The crowd loves you. You took out one of the most hated racers in the league, and I’m not saying that to be nice. I guarantee that’s the last time someone tries to get too close to you. Oh and they’ve even anointed you with a new nickname.

They’re calling you The Reaper.” I felt a smile creep over my face.

Hey everyone! I was thinking about doing a chapter from Eli's perspective, but wanted to see what you guys think of the idea before doing it. It would be a bit down the road as up to chapter 27 has already been written. Anyway let me know your thoughts on it! Thanks for reading!
2016 Ace
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hope that crash doesn't shake him too much and change his resolve. Also I would love to see a chapter from Eli's point of view, it would be interesting just to hear his thoughts on everything.

Link to comment

Well, I guess everyone telling Jamie that he did the right thing isn't gonna make him feel any remourse for killing somebody, and him thinking that he did it for Eli was a bunch of bs if u ask me. I would enjoy some writing from Eli's point of view. As far as I'm concerned, u can make the rest of the story about Eli and take Jamie out of it all together. At least Eli is a likeable character.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..