Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 2,329 Words
  • 2,291 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 34. Chapter 34

Under Ground Aliases

The Reaper- Jamie Free

Velocity- Elijah Warren

Gears- Jacob Palmer

Gizmo- Matty Sanders

*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I can’t believe I’ve been dating Elijah Warren for 4 months now. Everythings been happening so damn fast it’s hard to keep track. It seemed like just yesterday I was still making fun of him for being gay, but now things are different. I’ve changed a lot these past few months, and it’s all thanks to him.

I took in a deep breath and watched as his red bandana flowed in the wind, his hair still perfectly kept. “Is it true about this race?” he asked finally speaking. I knew by how abnormally quiet he was on the ride here that something was on his mind.

“Is what true?” I replied trying to play stupid.

“Reaper” he protested “You know what.”

“Yeah, it’s true” I finally mumbled “A win tonight puts me in the main event spot.”

Normally this is the point where Elijah starts to get worried, but lately he’s been different, he’s been tougher. “Then win tonight” he nodded lightly rubbing my arm.

The past few months have seen a lot of changes to the team. I mean we all do the same stuff. It’s just a lot more efficient. It’s as though I don’t even have to ask for them to do stuff anymore, they just do it. Not only have we changed, we’ve also grown a lot more notorious, every cop in the state is looking for the mythical Reaper and his team of bandits. Most people don’t even believe I’m real, but when they come to see me…well they’re always left in shock. The team isn’t the only thing that’s changed around here, now that I’ve been racing in the number 2 hole, things have gotten a lot more…profitable. For every win I get in the 2 hole my team nets $15,000, yeah that’s right 15 grand, and you can bet your sweet ass I still haven’t lost a race. If I get my spot in the 1 hole I see that pay rise to $25,000 a race. As Pit’s put it “He’s been making us both very rich men.” I beg to differ on who’s the person really making the money here, but I know better than to provoke him.

It seems these days he’s not too big on his “star” racer, he says I’ve grown too soft. However that I will challenge him on, what am I supposed to do kill every other racer? Sure, lately I’ve been racing to beat my opponent cleanly rather than take them out, but can you blame me? I’ve got a lot of reasons to come home safely lately, besides when you’re as fast as me you don’t need to rely on cheap gimmicks like that.

Jax walked up and placed his hand on my shoulder “Come on kid, you’re about to be up”

I felt the familiar sensation of adrenaline fill me, I’ve been racing for a long time now, but I don’t think I’ll ever get fully used to it. I shadow boxed with Jax for a few second before making my way towards gears and gizmo.

“Let’s do this” I said as I took my helmet out of Jacob’s hands “Everything we’ve ever worked for, everything we’ve sacrificed, it’s for this chance right now.” I pulled them in close “We set out to become the number one racing team in the underground. Tonight’s the night we take that main event spot, and fight for undisputed number 1. Are you fucking with me?”

Matty nodded and gave me a shove to the chest.

“To the end” Jacob responded grabbing onto my shoulder.

“To the end” I repeated putting my helmet on.

I took one last look at Eli and climbed into the driver seat. I felt the roar of the engine and the familiar power shaking in the steering wheel. I pulled up to the starting line and waited for the other racer to do the same. I reached into the glove box and pulled out the small picture of Eli and me from when we were kids. I can never look at it without smiling, he and I, a championship and all captured by mom. It was just the perfect storm for my emotions. I looked at it for another second before placing it carefully back into the glove box. I looked to my right as the other car pulled up. I felt that ever familiar smile creep across my face, this guy’s so fucked.

The normal lady made her way in between the cars and went about her usual spiel. The second I got the green light I took off. Just like all of my other recent races I was on my A game. As I pulled out of the underpass I glared back in the rearview mirror to see the other car far behind me. I shifted into a higher gear with every chance I got. I rolled down both windows and listened to the wind as it viciously whizzed through the car. Every brake screech and honk from the traffic was like a symphony to me. I looked back once more and saw the other car jammed in the aftermath of my driving. It was as if I was a spider weaving a web to catch its prey. The second I turned onto the bridge above I knew this race was over. I sped across the U-turn and wiped right into the underpass. I pumped the brakes as I made my way across the finish line.

I calmly took off my helmet, got out of the car and shrugged my shoulders “Is that really all you’ve got for me” I shouted towards Pit “God damn, this league is a joke”

I heard the crowds roar at The Reapers famed attitude, and soaked in every second of it. The other car whipped on in and slammed on its brakes. The other racer got out of his car and slammed the door behind him.

“Well that’s just not classy” I egged on, I heard some laughs from the crowd “Roid rage getting to you? Or just the reality that you lost to a 16 year old?”

I watched as anger spread across his shadow covered face and he began to take steps towards me “What the fuck are you saying to me?”

“Is this supposed to scare me?” I pushed only making him angrier.

“I’ll teach you, you wanna be thug”

Before I could react I saw him whip something out from his back. Suddenly I felt the sensation of cold steel against me head “Go on, keep running your mouth” he smugly yelled.

I felt my heart freeze as the cold metal was pushed further against my head. Suddenly I was filled with a sensation I had never felt before. I grabbed onto the barrel of the gun and placed it against my temple, making sure to keep my finger between the hammer and primer. “Here I’ll give you a good shot” I shouted hoping no one could see my illusion “Well go ahead” I forced out.

The strangers hand began to tremble with nerves and the air in the small underpass grew tightly as everyone waited for what came next. I saw some guards pull out their weapons to prepare for the worst. I heard Eli whimper behind me and my mind began to race even faster than it had been. “Do it you fucking pussy” I let out one last time.

Finally I snatched the gun from his hands and looked up into his trembling eyes. “You have no idea what it takes to end a life, do you?” I took a few steps back and finally got my first good look at him. He must’ve only been a few years older than me, maybe about 19 or 20. I couldn’t help but let out a laugh as I watched him slowly start to take a few steps back.

I raised the gun and aimed it at his chest “Woh there, no one told you to move now did they?”

“N..n..no” I heard him tremble.

I turned my head towards Jax “Is this guy fucking serious?” I provoked “Dude pulls a gun on me? Then starts shitting himself?” Jax shook his head unamused by my antics. I looked at Eli who was clutching onto his arm. There’s no doubt he had been begging him to put a stop to my madness, but Jax knows me too well by now. He knows this is the only way for me to achieve what I truly want. Every single pair of eyes in the crowd focused in to see my next move “Do you want to find out why they gave me the name Reaper?”

“Come on man” he stuttered “You don’t need to do this.”

“Oh but I do” I growled “You see, you just threatened to kill me, what message does it send if I let you walk away from this?” I felt a dark smile meet my face “Next thing I know everyone’s threatening me with guns.”

“It was a mistake” I saw tears of fear form in his eyes “It was just a mistake, I wanted to try and prove you aren’t that tough is all.” He tried his best to man up

“and what did you prove?” I asked awaiting an answer that would help build my legacy

I saw him look back at his team for help. A bigger much tougher man shook his head and shot him a look of disappointment. I watched something break in him as he finally regained some form of confidence. “That you’re not tough” he blurted out “That the rumors are true, you’re just a mentally unstable kid who’s way out of his league.” His eyes met mine and he slowly began to take steps forward. As he took another step forward I watched him read something in my eyes, something he perceived as fear…but he was wrong.

“Wrong answer” I snarled. I lowered the aim of the gun and pulled the trigger. I’m the fucking Reaper, I may race softer than I used to but I will not be disrespected…not in my house.

The recoil of the gun flew back in my hands, and the sound of the discharge stunned everyone watching. I began to take some steps forward and so did the guards. I pulled the racers head up and placed the barrel of the gun against it.

“What did you prove?” I barked forcing the barrel against his buzzed hair. He yelped out in pain while cradling his wounded leg, tears slowly began to stream down his face. My impatience grew “What did you prove?!” I repeated louder

“Not to…that no one should” I watched as he stuttered and stammered in pain “No one should fuck with you.”

“Good” I replied satisfied with his answer “Now tell me why I shouldn’t finish this job.” The bigger man from his team began to step forward but one of the guards pulled him back to let the show play on without interruption. There was no doubt about it, this was perfect for business. “Well go on” I shouted forcing his weakening body to the ground. He once more cried out in pain. Frustrated and angry, I slammed my foot against the open wound.

My victim let out a loud screech of pain “Please…Please just…whatever you want” he begged

“What if I want you dead?” I teased applying more pressure to the bullet hole.

“Pit, is this the kind of shit you let happen down here.” The bigger man finally screamed out “This is turning into a fucking…”

I raised the gun high in the air and fired off another round to interrupt him “I’m in fucking charge right now. If you want your racer to leave here alive you’ll speak to me.” The man stared at me disgusted by my actions “Don’t give me that look” I fired back “You’re the one who let him have a gun.” I stared the man down as I applied even more pressure to the victim’s leg “Never give a gun to a man who won’t use it”.

Finally I felt someone try their best to pull me away from him. I stood my ground and turned in anger to find Elijah standing right next to me. “It’s over, he’s done” he spit “Stop toying with him, you’re just wasting everyone’s time.” It was funny watching Eli pretending not care about the young man bleeding in front of us. I knew if he had it his way he would’ve stopped this a long time ago, but that’s just not how things happened down here.

“You’re right” I said looking into Eli’s shaking eyes. I turned my attention back to the racer and stomped one last time on the wound “you’re just a toy to me, don’t forget that.” I shouted.

The crowd stayed shrouded in silence, stunned by the events that had unfolded before their very eyes. For once I felt more than respected, I felt like more than just some story… I felt feared. I ran over to my car and climbed onto the hood of it.

“Listen the fuck up” I announced “I may not be number 1 yet, but I’m the fucking king down here. If anyone pulls a gun on me or any of my team again, you’ll be leaving in a body bag along with the rest of your team.” I aimed the gun a foot or so in front of the opponent’s team and fired off one last round. The bullet pinged off the ground and ricocheted down the dark tunnel “Let this be a warning to all of you...No one fucks with the Reaper and gets away with it.”

2016 Ace
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just as I was beginning to like him a little, I was really hoping Eli would calm him so that behaviour like this didn't happen.

Link to comment
On 09/15/2016 04:50 PM, bubby1234 said:

starting to get a bit black for me your taking the wrong line.

Trust me, you'll see where its heading. This is the spark to the end of the book.

Link to comment
On 09/15/2016 08:32 PM, SpyroRyder said:

Just as I was beginning to like him a little, I was really hoping Eli would calm him so that behaviour like this didn't happen.

I guess its hard for old dogs to learn new tricks.The question is now that Eli's matured a bit will he put up with this immature recklessness?

Link to comment

I'm not liking where Jamie is headed and he's gonna take Eli, Jacob, and Matty down with him so sad. I was actually hoping he'd finally come to his senses and give up the racing. 

Link to comment

The other driver was right, Jamie is out of control, and acting out.  This is not likely to end well.  Still will keep on reading.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..