Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 2,368 Words
  • 3,670 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 44. Requiem

Reader Discretion is advised for this chapter. It is filled with mature themes, and a dark undertone.

As I stood there, staring at the small grey stone slab in front of me I was flooded with memories. It’s funny, I’ve come to this site every single day since he was buried and yet every single time I flash back to moments with him. An imperfect soul, forced to wander this earth, tortured almost every step of the way. I let out a deep sigh, at least he’s at peace now. I knelt down and brushed away some of the dirt from the surface.

Jamie Aaron Free

February 21st, 2000- January 30th 2016

“Loving son, brother and boyfriend. Known by few missed by many”

 

I felt tears start to fill my eyes just like they always did whenever I read the caption. That’s it? That’s all they could think to put? Jamie was so much more than just 11 words. He was a hero…he was my hero. As I heard a car pull up, I stood up and wiped the water from my eyes.

 

“Hey Eli” I heard a voice solemnly greet

I turned and held my breath “Hey” I muttered. I knew he’d visited every now and then, but this is my first time actually seeing Jacob at the grave.

“It’s good to see you…I can’t remember the last time I did. Maybe right before school got out.” He said trying to make conversation

“Maybe” I echoed

He tried to put his arm around my shoulder but I shrugged it off “He really did love you…wherever he is, he still does.” I rolled my eyes and kept silent “I know it’s cliché but it’s true. He would hate to see you in so much pain”

“Don’t talk about what he would hate or want” I bit “He’s gone”

Jacob let my words soak the open air “He is, but you’re still here. That’s all he ever wanted…you to be safe.”

“I’d rather be in danger and with him, then safe. Do you have any idea how terrible it is without him around? Do you know how many times I check my phone out of habit to see if he texted me? Or when I look out and see the mustang sitting in my driveway and wait for him to pop out of it? I still see that stupid grin when I close my eyes…that stupid cocky grin.”

“I do too” he said with pain growing in his voice “He was my best friend. You’re not the only one who lost someone that day.”

“It sure as hell feels like it” I muttered

Jacob ignored my words and looked over at me “You know me and Steph are having a little back to school party at my place. You’re more than welcome to swing by. She misses you a lot.”

“No” I answered beginning to walk to the car

“Eli things don’t have to be this way…you don’t have to be alone “he reached out

“They do…I do.” I said looking back “Tell Steph she shouldn’t miss me…she’s the one who called the cops that day…she’s the reason they made that call over the radio.”

“She’s the reason Jamie knew” Jacob fought back

“She’s the reason my dad knew” I sighed looking away “and last time I checked they still don’t know how Jamie knew. The radio in his room is just a theory.”

“You can’t possibly be blaming her” he spit out of desperation

“No…I blame myself” I mumbled opening the driver’s side door

“You have to stop this…this self-torture” he cried out of desperation “It’s not your fault…it’s no one’s fault. Jamie had a hard head. He would have done anything to keep you safe. You can’t go on blaming yourself, look at poor Matty after he did.”

I shot him a look of anger “I’m not gonna kill myself if that’s what you’re saying. Matty had what was coming to him. He offed himself because he knows he should’ve been there.”

Jacob took a step towards my car but the sight of the old mustang stopped him in his tracks “You don’t have to act so much like him…he didn’t even like the way he was.” I shook my head, hopped in and slammed the door behind me “Go ahead! Run from reality…just like he did! Soon you’ll be buried right here next to him!” Jacob lashed out as I began to pull away.

I stepped on the gas, and looked at the silver horse etched onto the steering wheel. After Jamie’s death his father couldn’t stand to see the mustang sitting in the driveway. Every time he did it would tear him up inside. At first he was going to get rid of it, but couldn’t bring himself to do it. That’s when he offered it to me. I’ve been driving it ever since.

The further from the grave I got the more Jacob’s words begin to hit me. Have I really become more like him? I just can’t tell anymore…everything went so wrong so damn fast. Have I really started running from things? The silver horse seemed to jump out at me, and I knew exactly what I needed to do. I switched gears and jumped on the highway, leaving everyone else in my dust. It’s easy to see why Jamie loved racing so much, that feeling of going fast, the feeling that no one can touch you. It’s addictive.

As I pulled into the poor rundown city next to mine I took a deep breath and tried to keep my mind calm. I don’t think I’ll ever understand how the rich and poor could coincide without anyone helping each other. The poor side of my town doesn’t even compare to the city. Drug addicts and homeless people littered the city streets. The rundown buildings and business filled my eyes, as I realized the damage I had done to a once happy family. I pulled into the apartment lot and wiped the sweat away from my now shaking hands. I held my breath as I entered the crammed lobby and made my way to the front desk.

“I’m looking for the Free family” I pushed out trying to get the secretaries attention. Without looking up she lifted her hand and pointed over at the wall of mailboxes. I sighed and wandered over to try and find my destination. After minutes of searching I finally found my destination “Aaron Free, Jess Free 5f” I repeated to myself. Not daring to take the elevator I made my way to the stairs and began my ascension.

The chipped paint on the walls and creaky staircase filled my head with guilt. After Jamie’s death Mr. Free found himself lost. So much so that he couldn’t afford to make ends meet. I guess his fading paycheck and Jess’ money from McDonald’s just couldn’t work anymore. One fateful day child protective services stepped in and took away his 3 youngest daughters. They bounced around in the system for a few months, before Mr. Free’s estranged parents finally scooped them up. Covered in even more grief he sold the family house, and found a much more affordable apartment with Jess. The day they left the neighborhood was the last time I had seen them. As I reached the door I felt my heart jump to my throat, I was the reason their family was in this shape. It took me a minute but finally I forced myself to knock on the door.

“If this is about rent…” I heard a fading voice begin as someone opened the door “Oh Hi…what can I help you with?” Mr. Free asked with confusion growing in his voice. I picked up my hand and swept the hair out of my face “Elijah? I’m sorry, I didn’t even recognize you. Please come in.” I followed his lead into the small cramped apartment and took a seat at their makeshift kitchen table. “You’ve really committed to the long hair huh? Man, I couldn’t even tell it was you.” He said trying to be friendly

“Yeah” I mumbled not knowing what to say

“So is there any special reason you stopped by? Not that you’re not welcome or anything. It’s definitely good to see you again.” He ranted

I began to shrug my shoulder but remembered my talk with Jacob this afternoon…I can’t run from everything “I’m sorry” I pushed out

Even more confusion spread across Mr. Free’s face and I diverted my eyes to the floor “For?”

“Everything” I sighed “I’m the reason everything happened. I should’ve never started dating your son. I should’ve never insisted on joining him at the races. I should’ve never gotten taken. I should’ve never put him in a situation where he could get hurt.” Mr Free raised his hand to stop me but I kept going “I’m the cause of all of this…if only I listened to him for once, this all could have been prevented…he would still be here.”

“No” Mr Free responded shaking his head “You made my son the happiest he was in a long long time. For the first time in years he was genuinely smiling and laughing, not just that stupid cocky one he had either REAL laughter Elijah.” He reached out and forced my head up “The truth about Jamie is that he was set on a path of destruction ever since Jade died. He just couldn’t handle life without his mother. I knew he was in for an early death…I just never imagined it would be this early.” His voice slowly broke as he came clean about the reality of his only son “When you came back into his life I thought that maybe you could save him…maybe he would get off his path. The sad truth is that he stayed on it, maybe he calmed down a little but god damn you could still see that fire in his eyes. That darkness that dwelled inside of him, I still have no idea where it came from” He began to nervously tap his foot against the thin floorboards “You gave him borrowed time, and for that I thank you.” I shook my head no and went to say something but he cut me off “I should be apologizing to you…you lost more than anyone else that day…you were forced to do something…”

“No one forced me to do anything” I but in cutting him off “I did what I had to.”

Mr. Free let out a deep sigh “Still no one deserves to have to take a life…no one deserves to see what you saw”

I stood up having said what I needed to “That’s life” I Sighed

“No…Eli it’s not” he fought “Please don’t end up like Jamie. Don’t let this ruin you. Between Matty and Jamie…haven’t we buried enough of you kids?”

“Goodbye Mr. Free” I said showing myself out

“Goodbye Eli” he let out watching me leave.

I rushed down the stairs and into the red mustang which waited for me. I sped out of the rundown city, and back onto the highway. The more my mind began to break down the faster I went. I knew exactly what I needed to calm the demons. It was the only way I had to fight back. As I finally reached my house I screeched into the drive way and ran out. I ran through the living room to find my mom with a stray syringe left on the ground, in the state she almost always was in lately.

“Hi baby” she moaned reaching out. I kept my pace towards the stairs ignoring her completely “Come on Eli…don’t ignore me” she let out in monotone groan

“Shut up mom, you’re high again” I bit

“Like you’re so perfect lately” she argued as I ran up the stairs and into my room.

Perhaps my mom got the brunt of the storm after everything happened. She couldn’t handle the news that my dad was being blamed with the murder of Jamie, and his accomplice. Even worse, she couldn’t handle the news that I was the one who put him down. The police, chalked it up as self-defense and let me go, even giving me and my mom a hefty settlement for any “Emotional trauma” I may have experienced. She tried to reach out to me, she really did, but I shut her off. I guess I failed her when she need me most… a trend I was getting good at lately. She fell in love with heroin a few weeks after my dad passed. I guess it’s the only way she can survive. Sure every now and then she’ll go off to work as a secretary, but with that government payout we don’t need her paycheck anymore, and lately she’s spent a lot more time high then working.

As I walked into my room I snagged a bottle off my counter. I guess I had developed my own dirty habit to deal with the pain. I took a big swig of the burning liquid and let myself fall onto my bed. As I closed my eyes, I watched the horrors replay in my mind. A trend that has haunted me since that day. I was constantly given nightmarish flashbacks, watching Jamie fall to the ground, taking the gun from his body, and then cradling him as the cops finally pulled up. I guess I’ve conveniently blocked out the middle part, but lately I’ve wished I didn’t. I wish I could see the pain and fear in my dad’s eyes as I turned on him. I wish I could know what he was thinking as he saw his only son turn on him with a gun. I hope he feels that pain for eternity, for what he’s done to me. He took Jamie’s life because he jumped to conclusions…because he assumed he was the one who took me. What an effective suspension that was…glad my dad was taken out of the field so he couldn’t do anything dangerous.

I tipped the bottle and started drinking even heavier until finally I was numb. I turned onto my side and passed out. Innocence gets you nowhere in this life, only darkness.

Thank you all for reading Velocity, the support has been overwhelming! I would have never guessed I would even have 1 reader, let alone all of you! It sound's cliche/corny but you guys are truly the reason this story was able to run full cycle. Early on I would often think about quitting but your emails, reviews and likes kept me going!
Rest up Chapter 1 titled "Enter The Cage" of Book 2: Crestfallen drops tomorrow!
2016 Ace
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OH wow! I so wished for Jamie to recover. But that wasnt in the cards. i knew that once he was shot, he'd be gone. But i never thought that Eli would turn to drinking and blaming himself for everything that went wrong. I am truly saddened. Also for his family and friends. HUGS! Thanks for the amazing story.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 10/10/2016 09:10 AM, Remijay said:

OH wow! I so wished for Jamie to recover. But that wasnt in the cards. i knew that once he was shot, he'd be gone. But i never thought that Eli would turn to drinking and blaming himself for everything that went wrong. I am truly saddened. Also for his family and friends. HUGS! Thanks for the amazing story.

I feel the exact same way. Multiple times when writing the chapter I had to stop myself from changing different details. Jamie's death, and the darkening of Eli's character were defiantly a lot harder then I originally thought!Thank you so much for reading, and giving me feedback! It is extremely appreciated! I'm so glad you enjoyed the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Omg I LOVED this story, I so wish had finally found peace before his demons caught up to him, but I guess that wasn't the way of things.
Is the new story you are writing a sequel to this or a totally new story and what kind've themes will it posses.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/10/2016 01:54 PM, shade456 said:

Omg I LOVED this story, I so wish had finally found peace before his demons caught up to him, but I guess that wasn't the way of things.

Is the new story you are writing a sequel to this or a totally new story and what kind've themes will it posses.

It'll be a sequel that will be told from the perspective of a new character and his group of friends. However it will be focused around Eli and his descent from grace. I imagine it will be equally dark as velocity at points, however the new main character is very light-hearted and ambitious, so I imagine that'll force a perspective we have rarely seen so far. I'm so glad you enjoyed the story! Thank you so much for reading!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/10/2016 02:18 PM, sweetlion86 said:

Thank you! In book 2 well have a chance to learn more about this new Eli, and see his growth from here. Hopefully he can find his way back to the light.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Two things. I wish u hadn't felt the need to kill Jamie off. Can't understand why a boy being murdered is thought a good thing or a good way to end what was almost a great read.
Wish I didn't finish the story at 1.30am leaving me with sorrow to sleep with.
sorry but wish I didn't start the story. I know a good story doesn't have to be all roses but they don't need to leave the reader feeling lower in life than when they started the tale.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 10/23/2016 03:02 AM, Roy_northernaustralia said:

Two things. I wish u hadn't felt the need to kill Jamie off. Can't understand why a boy being murdered is thought a good thing or a good way to end what was almost a great read.

Wish I didn't finish the story at 1.30am leaving me with sorrow to sleep with.

sorry but wish I didn't start the story. I know a good story doesn't have to be all roses but they don't need to leave the reader feeling lower in life than when they started the tale.

I'm sorry it made you feel that way at the end. I dont see Jamie's death as a good thing, however it was necessary for his character. Jamie was a very self destructive person, he tried his best to change and outrun his consequences however in life we have to sit with the choices we make, no matter how bad these consequences may be. The storys purpose is to show how the choices of one person can completely change the course of a whole town. Crestfallen will go on to show us how to do deal with so much sadness and pain, knowledge that if Jamie knew, it might've saved his life.

 

Being a Psych major I'll leave you with a quote from one of my favorite psychologists Carl Jung "The word happiness would lose it's meaning if not balanced out by sadness."

 

Unfortunately to be fully happy we first must learn what it means to be sad. This is merely step 1 in the journey, that I hope you'll keep joining me on. Thank you for reading!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am sorry, but I have to agree with Roy. It is your story and your demons. I do not think Jamie had to die to complete the story. Your technical skill at telling a story is very good. I hope you the best in your future projects, however, I will not be following your work. I just cannot find any enjoyment in a work of such darkness when it is not required. Sorry.......

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 02/18/2017 04:53 AM, wenmale64 said:

I am sorry, but I have to agree with Roy. It is your story and your demons. I do not think Jamie had to die to complete the story. Your technical skill at telling a story is very good. I hope you the best in your future projects, however, I will not be following your work. I just cannot find any enjoyment in a work of such darkness when it is not required. Sorry.......

I appreciate the compliments, and the support. However like I said to Roy, I don't see Jamie's death as a good thing at all, however it was the ending he needed.(In the most recent chapter of Crestfallen we actually learn a lot about Jamie's mental health and conditions). I can't put into words how tragic the death of 2 16 year old boys is. In addition I promise you no one is more upset and heartbroken over his death than I am. I was in literal tears and had to walk away multiple times to prevent me from changing the ending. I still often think about it, and miss the character, just like everyone of you I got extremely attached to Jamie and Eli. They were more than just characters to me, they were pieces of me.

 

I am glad that while you are upset you seem to understand all of that. I hope that one day you can come back to reading crestfallen. If there is anyone healing the wounds left it's Aidan Taylor.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 2/17/2017 at 11:53 AM, wenmale64 said:

I am sorry, but I have to agree with Roy. It is your story and your demons. I do not think Jamie had to die to complete the story. Your technical skill at telling a story is very good. I hope you the best in your future projects, however, I will not be following your work. I just cannot find any enjoyment in a work of such darkness when it is not required. Sorry.......

Jamie never would have been able to escape The Underground if he had lived. He would have ended up running it himself and would have become just as corrupt as Pitt was. In that lifestyle, once you're in that far, the only ways out are jail or death. It's sad, yes, but completely true.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

There is a place for light and fluffy, and there is a place for dark and gritty. This story is good, and it's not over yet. It's so good, in fact, that even though I hate endings like this, here I am reading it for the second time.

 

It could use a bit of polish, with regards to things like punctuation and the like, but the story is gripping enough for me not to get distracted by that (despite how nitpicky I usually am about such things).

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, David Santos said:

There is a place for light and fluffy, and there is a place for dark and gritty. This story is good, and it's not over yet. It's so good, in fact, that even though I hate endings like this, here I am reading it for the second time.

 

It could use a bit of polish, with regards to things like punctuation and the like, but the story is gripping enough for me not to get distracted by that (despite how nitpicky I usually am about such things).

Glad you enjoyed it so much you could read it twice! I know the endings not easy to revisit, but I think you nailed it when you said "it's not over yet."

 

I agree on polishing and one day down the road I'm planning to revisit it and fix it up a bit. There are some things that just need slight tweaks. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I can't read anymore I had so much hope Jaime was badly injured, not dead. I was truly hoping for a happy ending. Then to find out Matty died too from an apparent suicide. That was the end for me. You did a fantastic job writing the story I will say that, but the ending ruined it for me.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 2/17/2017 at 12:53 PM, wenmale64 said:

I am sorry, but I have to agree with Roy. It is your story and your demons. I do not think Jamie had to die to complete the story. Your technical skill at telling a story is very good. I hope you the best in your future projects, however, I will not be following your work. I just cannot find any enjoyment in a work of such darkness when it is not required. Sorry.......

I so agree with you. There was no need for Jaime's death.

Link to comment

Jamie was one of those who ran on high octane fumes and the power of emotion, fitting the poets line, "My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; But ah my foes, and oh my friends--it gives a lovely light"  That was Jamie and now he is gone.  

Wonderful writing, great story, am hoping in the sequel, Eli remembers beside what he considers his original sin, there remains original innocence to.

Thank you,

The poet is Edna St. Vincent Millay

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Sorcerer said:

Jamie was one of those who ran on high octane fumes and the power of emotion, fitting the poets line, "My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; But ah my foes, and oh my friends--it gives a lovely light"  That was Jamie and now he is gone.  

Wonderful writing, great story, am hoping in the sequel, Eli remembers beside what he considers his original sin, there remains original innocence to.

Thank you,

The poet is Edna St. Vincent Millay

I'm happy you enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing that line, unfortunately it really is very fitting to Jamie's character. I hope you enjoy book 2 just as much as book 1! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..