Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 1,640 Words
  • 3,245 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 11. Chapter 11

Under Ground Aliases
The Kid- Jamie Free
Gears- Jacob Palmer
Gizmo- Matty Sanders
*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*

I’ve heard a million songs that claim love slows you down. Lately I’ve realized something, they’re all bullshit, and trust me I know a thing or two about going fast.

I woke up with a shot of adrenaline. So this is what it feels like to truly be alive? I have everything I’ve ever wanted and then some, and no one’s going to stop me now.

Going through my normal morning routine I couldn’t help but stop and watch my sisters take care of one another. We’ve experienced a lot of hard times over the past 3 years but it’s only made us stronger. My oldest sister saw me watching and waved me over to join them for breakfast but I declined, they need the food more then I do. When they had finally finished I picked at whatever was left over and joined them on the way to school.

My youngest sister peddled her hardest to catch me “Race me Jamie!” she screamed. Looking at her always made me smile. She had our mother’s face.

I slowed down a bit to let her catch up “Alright!” I watched as she pulled ahead, she even has our Mother’s spirit. Every few seconds I would turn it on and pass her then let her slowly catch up. When we finally saw the school I slowed down and let her shoot past me.

She looked back and stuck out her tongue “I won!” she shouted. I could hear my other sisters laugh at her innocence. Thankfully, she had no idea what really happened.

I started peddling full speed “I’ll get you next time!” I screamed heading towards the high school. Lately I’m beginning to realize I have a lot of people in my life to be grateful for. I’ll become #1 for each and every one of them.

The first thing I did was walk past Eli’s locker and shove him into it lightly enough so he wouldn’t get hurt but strong enough so he felt it. I rushed down the hall before he had a shot at retaliation, and prepared for the day. I was moving at a whole different level of speed today, one not even I was used to. I was even too excited to sleep through my classes today. I swear each and every one of my teachers made a comment about me actually paying attention. I laughed with the class and played along with it, after all they do have a point.

Lunch went as usual, there were a lot of nerves between the team but we’ll pull each other through it, we always did. Every now and then I would look over to Eli and watch for a few seconds as he went about his normal routine. It was nice that we could just coexist as a couple without needing to spend every waking second together. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to eat with him but right now I needed to be with my team.

I looked around and saw Stephanie passing us with her tray of food “Hey Steph.” I said trying to invite her over to talk for a minute. I heard Jacob grown and I elbowed him in the side. She gave us a polite smile but kept walking.

Jacob looked at me unamused “Why? Fucking why?”

 

Setting them up was really going to be a challenge “oh come on, she’s not all that bad.”

Matty placed his hand on my shoulder “1 of 3 things is happening here” he started. I groaned knowing he was either gonna be right or just plain stupid “1. The fumes from racing are affecting your head 2. Eli’s brain washing you or 3. You have a crush on her”

So, stupid it is. “Trust me I don’t have a crush on her” I sighed “I’m too fast for love remember? I lied quoting Motley Crue. Matty nodded as though I was making complete sense. “She is good looking though.” I wasn’t lying, Stephanie really wasn’t bad looking, she had long straight black hair and nice brown eyes. If anything it’s her attitude that scares guys away.

Matty went back to focusing on his food “ehhhh, not my type.” To be honest I have no idea what Matty’s type is and I have no interest in ever finding out.

I elbowed Jacob again trying to get him to join the conversation.

He shifted his seat further away from me “Stop with that!” he snapped “Is she pretty? Sure. Is she a crazy bitch? Hell yes and you should never stick your dick in crazy. ” I laughed a little, okay so there was some attraction at least on the physical level. I just need to prove to him that she’s not completely crazy.

Matty starting laughing so hard he almost spit out his food “Shut the fuck up, the only thing you’ve ever stuck your dick in is your right hand.” He squeaked out between laughs.

Jacob reached over me and tried swatting at Matty, but I pushed him away before he could actually make contact. I looked over to see what Eli was up to but saw Stephanie watching Jacob with a smile. She quickly looked away realizing she had been caught. She really did have it bad for him, what a pain in the ass. The bell to end lunch rang and we went about our normal schedules. When the final bell rang I ran to meet Eli at his locker.

He looked at me with those beautiful blue eyes of his “Hey. Want to grab dinner tonight? My treat!” I could tell he was really hoping I would say yes. His first time asking me on a date and I had to say no.

I let out a big sigh to try and find the words to respond with “I can’t, I have work all night.” I could probably squeeze in dinner with him if I had to, but I knew I should focus on tonight’s race instead.

Eli shifted his look from me to his locker to try and hide the disappointment in his eyes. “It’s okay, I understand.” I could tell he wished things could be different.

I reached out and discreetly grazed his arm but immediately pulled it back as a group of kids walked by “What about tomorrow night? And I’ll treat you.” I said with a smile to try and comfort him.

Eli shut his locker and leaned against it “Can’t, I have hockey tryouts Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and you know how serious my Dad takes those.” Eli’s dad did treat hockey as if it was life and death but I knew Elijah’s passion for the game, and it was 10x bigger than his father’s. “However, if you tryout then we can spend the whole weekend together.” I could hear the hope in his voice.

I shifted uncomfortably “I don’t play hockey anymore, Eli.” I slowly started to walk away “besides who says I want to spend the whole weekend with you.” Honestly, I would do anything to get back on the ice but hockey’s expensive and we just don’t have the money for it, besides I’m way to busy being The Kid.

I packed my bag and headed home. My mind was racing with anticipation for tonight. I couldn’t even eat dinner I was so on edge. I spent most of the evening blasting music and laying on my bed trying to mentally prepare for what was going to happen. When it was finally time to sneak out I was surprised to find my car keys hung near the back door. I grabbed em and raced off to get the boys. Matty looked like he had just woke up from a nap, while Jacob looked like he could throw up at any second. We entered the new address into a GPS and were on our way. When we finally got there we saw it was a huge abandoned roadway with a tunnel at the end. The tunnel had a road leading out of it to the highway above, a little bit down the highway there was a U-turn that lead to a bridge above and then back onto the highway, from the highway there was an exit back to the abandoned road. I immediately realized the new race track was to shoot right onto the highway, make the U-Turn and get back to the tunnel. I began to sweat with anticipation.

As I pulled up to the tunnel I realized how much bigger it was then our old place. There was no doubt Pit was looking to increase his profits by adding more fans. The doorman recognized my car and waved me on through. I lowered my windows and watched as people stared at the car. I pulled next to the other racers who had their cars lined up on the side of the road. They laid them out all nice so the crowd could get a look at the mechanical beasts. As I opened the door I heard the crowds of close to 200 people grow quiet. A few laughed at the sight of my age, “Wait? Is that The Kid?” I heard one man in the distance whisper. I climbed out and ran towards one of the topless women, I grabbed a shot from her tray and downed it, the warm burning liquid oozed down my throat. I’ve had a little alcohol before but never an actual shot. I coughed but raised the glass high in the air showing the crowd I had actually swallowed the whole thing. Everyone let out a huge roar, cheering on my crazy antics.

The Kid is here.” One of the guards announced, and he’s not going home a loser I thought to myself.

2016 Ace
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Good chapter overall. Feel bad that Eli will never be near the top of Jamie's priority list. Jamie is so different from any other character I have ever read about. Normally, I either really like the character or really hate the character. With him, I like "Jeremy" but can't stand "Kid". Jeremy appears to be a sweet, loving guy that would never hurt anyone, Kid appears to be a very arrogant, self centered ass who really doesn't care about anybody but himself. Amazing that the same character can have two totally opposite personas. I just hope that Eli doesn't end up being hurt.

Link to comment

Can more than remember the high, the drive, just the exhilaration of being with that special someone.  Would normally drive with the limit, and spend my time listening to music and looking at scenery.  With them, it was flying low.  Just the change of head space they created for me, or whatever.  You do that part of Jamie exceptionally well.  

The Kid is more than a showman, he is being a responsible kid, taking up the slack, that his mother left, in more ways than one.  It is a heavy burden, but he couldn't do anything else.  It is who he is.  Am definitely enjoying the story, even knowing this is like a brief summer  in a stormy autumn and worse winter that's coming.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..