Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 2,103 Words
  • 3,776 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 5. Chapter 5

Under Ground Aliases
The Kid- Jamie Free
Gears- Jacob Palmer
Gizmo- Matty Sanders
*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*

That night I could barely sleep. The whole day played over and over again, as if it were on a constant loop.

When I finally passed out I dreamt I was a kid again. I was back on the ice doing what I loved. I started skating full speed toward the opposing goal. I saw Elijah streaking down the left side of the ice cradling the puck. He made a move and danced around a defenseman. Just like that it was a 2 on 1 chance, he dished me a beautiful pass and I buried an easy goal. I looked up and saw my mom’s golden smile; before I could even begin to celebrate Elijah gave me a big bear hug.

“We’re champions!” He screamed. I immediately realized where I was. It was the scene of 6th grade championship game winning goal. The last game I had ever played but more importantly the last time Elijah and I considered each other friends.

I woke up in a cold sweat still exhausted from the night before. I don’t know if it was the dream or the stress, but I would’ve given anything to sleep the day away.

Today I moved at a completely different speed. There was no rush or excitement I was just simply going through the motions. I was relieved when I got downstairs to find my dad had already left for work.

“You’re gonna be late Jamie!” my oldest sister screamed

“Yeah yeah, I’ll meet you there” I mumbled

It took me a while to find my motivation for the day, but finally I hoped on my bike and headed to school. When I got there the first 2 classes of the day were already over. I got an earful from the secretary for being late but I flat out didn’t care. I slept through my next few classes until finally the lunch bell rang.

“Everything alright Jamie?” My history teacher asked

“Yeah, just one of those days, you know?” I said leaving for the lunch room

“You sure you don’t want to go to the nurse? I can give you a pass” he insisted

“No, its fine. I just need to eat and be with my friends.” I muttered

Taking my usual seat at lunch was exactly what the doctor ordered. Getting to tell Jacob and Matty what happened felt almost as though a weight was being lifted off my shoulders. It felt like they had taken it upon themselves to help carry it. I don’t know what I did to deserve them but thank god they’re here.

“So you’re going to take the spot right?” Matty asked not sure if I even wanted to continue racing.

I bucked shoulders with him and smiled for the first time all day “Of course I am! You really think I’m going to let the great story of The Kid stop here?”

Jacob looked up from his food and jumped into the conversastion.“I mean I can fill your shoes and race in your place if you want.”

“Oh yeah and how are we going bring the car back from the dead after you wreck it?” Matty teased

“Alright alright, I’ll just stick to the easy stuff like keeping an 03 car with way too many goddamn miles still running.” Jacob answered trying to stress how important his role is.

“Yes, you will and I’ll keep winning because of it” I said making sure he realized how much I appreciated all the work he did. God only knows how that car still runs. Jacob really is a miracle worker of some sort.

“Matty, you’re coming with me to meet Pit after school right?” I asked making sure he didn’t feel pressured into it.

“Of course I will! Business is my part of the team after all” He answered with more confidence than I expected.

“Good, then were all in agreement. Team Kid will pick up where we left off, regardless of what’s happened in the past or what will happen going forward?” I asked making sure they would be loyal to the end.

“Cross my heart and hope to die” Matty said giving me a side hug.

“Get away from me you freak!” I shouted trying to get him off of me.

“You know it!” Jacob shouted with such excitement he scared the tables around us

“Mr. Palmer! That’s strike one! Calm down or it’s a lunch detention.” Shouted the lunch moderator. We couldn’t help but laugh. “Oh so this is funny to you guys? That’s a warning for the table. Don’t disrupt lunch again” The moderator demanded.

We all pulled it together long enough for the moderator to feel okay with leaving us be for now. It took a few hours and these goofy asses but I think I’m back to my normal self.

“So I heard you and my dad went for a little ride last night.” Eli announced while taking a seat right across from us. My heart froze; he didn’t seem mad or upset about yesterday. But then again he didn’t seem his normal self either. He was carrying himself with a little more confidence.

“Yeah I ugh got busted watching a street race last night. It’s no big deal” I said trying to downplay the whole event. I could feel Matty begin to tense up.

“Those aren’t the rumors I’ve been hearing.” Elijah said giving me a look like he had been planning this conversation “from what I hear one of the officers swears you’re The Kid.” I had never seen such a mischievous look on his face before.

Jacob and Matty both looked right at me to see what I would say.

“Haha, yeah he did think I was The Kid. However your dad put him in his place right away.” I said matching Eli’s grin

“You 3 think you’re so clever don’t you. You may have my dad fooled but I know you way too well Jamie. At first I thought there was no way you were all smart enough to pull it off but then it hit me. Jacobs brain with your lust for winning plus whatever it is Matty brings to the table, it all fits, you’re them. You’re The Kid and his 2 sidekicks” Eli stated so proud he couldn’t but help look across the room at Stephanie as if to say “I did it!”

Matty froze in his place and I could see Jacob start to join him.

I let out a nervous chuckle “Shit? I am?” I mocked him “Then someone owes me some damn money for winning all those races!” I said with the same cocky grin I wore to the races. Eli wants to dance? Well then, let’s dance.

I could feel the tension subside and I swear Jacob and Matty let out a breathe of relief so strong it would’ve knocked over a small village.

“Alright then, how about we make a friendly bet?” Eli asked now matching my smile. It’s weird but I was actually kind of proud of him. I knew he was tough but I’ve never seen him so…so determined. It was actually kind of sexy.

“Ohhhh I bet this involves you giving him a blow job” Jacob taunted and the 3 of us started to laugh while Elijah looked on undeterred.

“Actually the bet is if I can prove you’re The Kid then you have to come over my house and hang out for a few hours. If not then I’ll leave you alone for the rest of high school” I couldn’t tell what he was trying to play at, for the first time ever I couldn’t read what he was thinking.

“SO HE DOES WANT A BLOWJOB FROM YOU!” Jacob yelled breaking the awkward silence that had filled the air as I was trying to figure out what Eli was planning.

“That’s it! I warned you once! You 4 lunch detention right this second!” The moderator screamed. Jacob started to laugh, and before we knew it the laughter spread. We were all giggling like the idiots we are. Even Elijah was laughing along with us.

We picked up our bags pushed aside our barely eaten lunches and headed for the detention room. On the way there I gave Eli a friendly jab to the shoulder.

“Mr. Perfect getting a detention?” I teased with fake surprised look on my face “Boy oh boy how the mighty fall.”

“I guess I’m not the same kid from our childhood either.” he said returning the joke. Something about him did seem different, I couldn’t put my finger on it but he just seemed, well, lighter. “So do we have a deal?”

“Nah, You don’t need some stupid ass bet to get me to hang out with you” I answered surprising myself as much as the 3 of them “Maybe, Ill swing by later tonight and hangout for old times’ sake.” I felt Matty give me a discrete tap on the back but I honestly didn’t care what they were thinking.

I don’t know if it was my dream or the promise I made to Cpt. Warren, but I just had this strange urge to spend time with Eli. Joking around with him just felt so natural.

“Cool with me” Answered Elijah trying to play it off like it didn’t matter. He was so close to keeping up this cool guy charade but I could tell it meant a lot to him. It made me feel good to see something I said make him smile.

The rest of the day moved on a lot easier from there. Maybe today will be my perfect day. Claim my spot in the 20+ League then hang out with an old friend. When the last bell rang I met Matty at the bike rack and we took off for my house. He was unusually quite the whole ride there. I couldn’t tell if something was on his mind or he was just nervous about our meeting. When we finally got to my house I ran in, snagged the keys and we were off.

Matty even recognized the address from the paper, said it was some junk yard on the other side of town. Ha what better for the owner of a street racing league to own then a junkyard?

“So you’re really going over that queers house later?” Matty asked unsure if he should even ask the question. I had a feeling that’s what was on his mind.

“Yeah, I mean do I really have a choice?” I answered with a serious look on my face “You really want Elijah sniffing around all our shit until he finally figures out who we are?”

“Yeah but like what if he makes you do stuff? “ Matty said trying to read how I was taking the conversation

“Like sex stuff?” I said giggling

“Well yeah” he answered trying to keep a straight face

“Then I say no, besides Elijahs not even like that man. He and I used to be cool, I’m sure he just wants to try and convince me to play hockey.” I said assuring Matty that everything was normal

“Yeah but I read somewhere that that’s what gay guys do. They try and get you alone then they seduce you.” Matty said. I was stunned when I realized he was being serious.

“Relax man. I think you need to start reading more credible shit.” I said jokingly “Keep your friends close and you’re enemies closer, ya know?” I think I was beginning to try and justify my decision to myself more than to Matty. What was I doing? I’m really going to hang out with Eli tonight? Maybe he is seducing me. Whatever I really don’t have much of a choice now.

When we finally pulled up to the junkyard I think we were both equally shocked at how large the place was. It was nicer than I expected but at the same time it was still a junk yard. This was definitely a place fit for Pit. When I pulled up to the front gate I noticed the same guard who was blocking the entrance to the underpass patrolling the gate.

“What are you the doorman?” I joked

“Just fucking pull up to the building. Pits been waiting for you.” the guard snapped. I don’t know what was worse the smell of his breathe or the smell of the yard.

As we approached the big building I made eye contact with Matty and raised my eyebrows.

Even if we wanted out it was too late now.

2016 Ace
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I feel like Jamie is just continuing to dig himself into a hole that's get harder and harder to get out of

Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Blanno said:

I feel like Jamie is just continuing to dig himself into a hole that's get harder and harder to get out of

 

Hey Blanno, I just want to give you one last warning about this story. It's a pretty rough tragedy. I'm glad you seem to be enjoying it, but make sure you brace for impact if you continue it!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..