Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 1,920 Words
  • 3,384 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 3. Chapter 3

Under Ground Aliases
The Kid- Jamie Free
Gears- Jacob Palmer
Gizmo- Matty Sanders
*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities

Have you ever had one of those days where you think everything is gonna go perfect but it slowly and painfully starts to fall apart at the seams? Well, I’m smack in the middle of one right now.

The rest of the school day dragged on, as much as I tried to ignore what happened at lunch I just couldn’t shake it. Every time I closed my eyes all I could see was Elijah standing there tears in his eyes and that dumb look of betrayal on his face. Why did this matter so much to him? We haven’t even been friends since like the 6th grade. Was what I said really that bad? Time out, what do I care? Fuck school, fuck my classmates and fuck Elijah they can all go to hell. All that matters to me right now is claiming my spot in the 20+ league.

When the final bell rang I ran to my locker and started to pack my bag.

“Hey, be safe tonight alright” I heard Matty say as he walked up and gave me a friendly pat on the back

“I will, I’ll let you and Jacob know everything that happens, first thing tomorrow morning” I said not even looking away from my locker

“You better! We are a team after all.” Matty sheepishly said.

Christ! What did I offend him with my going solo joke? “

Jamie Free you dickhead!” I heard a familiar female voice shout.

“Shit, it’s Stephanie Wilkens, good freakin luck fending off Eli’s guard dog!” Matty said scurrying away

“So much for being a team!” I shouted watching him get away as fast as he could.

Stephanie wasn’t particularly scary or anything, she just wasn’t the type of girl you would want to mess with when she’s angry…and boy did it look like she was out for blood.

“What? What did I do now?” I asked as she approached

“You tell me. What the hell did you say to Elijah at lunch?! When he left our table he was his happy go lucky self but after coming back from talking to you he wouldn’t even touch his food.” She snapped

“I didn’t say anything” I lied while putting on my bag and slamming my locker

“Bull shit! You know your problem Free? You’re a homophobic liar!” Stephanie looked like she was ready to give me hell. Its times like this I wonder how anyone could be attracted to women.

“I’m neither of those things but believe whatever you want.” I said trying to walk away.

Stephanie ran right up next to me “You really think you’re hot shit don’t you?” Ugh! Why is everyone so annoying today?

“I’d like to believe so” I uttered trying to lose her in the hallway traffic.

“Well newsflash you’re not! And now your arrogant ass has left Elijah hurt again. Would it kill you to be even a little bit nice to him? He still misses you ya know.” She spat

“I am nice to him, besides he doesn’t need me anymore. You’re his best friend now. You handle it. Like I told him I’m not the same kid I used to be.” I said finally reaching my bike

“That’s the problem, you’re not! The old Jamie was nothing like you are now! In fact he would throw up at the sight of whoever you’ve become” she nagged

“Oh so the rumors were true. You did have a crush on me in middle school” I said laughing “Awww look you still have one now, I can see it on your face! Maybe I am hot shit.” I teased hoping on my bike and starting to peddle away

“Running from your problems like always, I guess that part of you stayed intact!” She screamed

“My last name is Free for a reason” I shouted back with my middle finger raised high in the air.

I got home as fast as my legs could peddle, locked myself in my room and pounced on the bed. Honestly I don’t really blame Stephanie for being so pissed at me. She was just trying to protect Eli, a job she was much too used to. After he came out she was the first person to stick up for him. She’ll die before she lets anyone hurt him and get away with it. It’s ironic; it wasn’t so long ago that Elijah and I used to make fun of her for being so tough. And when she came to the 6th grade championship hockey game sporting my number painted on her face it was all my grade could talk about. I even remember skating up to where she was sitting during warm ups and tapping on the glass between us. I never had feelings back or anything, I just knew it would make her smile. Whatever those days are long gone by now. The second I left Elijah’s side she began to hate me. Fine by me, like I said, I have no interest in girls and I’ll take Matty and Jacob over Elijah and Stephanie any day.

I spent the next few hours lying in bed waiting for the night to come. The faster the sun went down the better I felt, the problems of today started to melt away with the thoughts of the glory that awaited me tonight. This is it! This is where the rumors of The Kid become legends!

When the clock finally struck 11 and my sisters and dad all went to bed I made my break for the back door. It took 40 minutes of busses and a lot of walking to finally reach the underpass but it was a journey well worth it.

The underpass looked a lot different tonight. Instead of it being left wide open like it was in the 18+ league there were huge roadblocks and gates blocking the left half of the road. As I walked up to the right half, one of the bouncers approached me

“Go home kid, this isn’t a playground” He growled.

“Ha I’m not just any kid, I’m The Kid” I said showing the same cocky grin I couldn’t help but wear at every race

“Yeah? prove it.” He said staring at me

“How the hell am I supposed to do that?!” I asked in disbelief. How did he not recognize me? I dressed the same way every time I visited the underground, all black with my long hair hung low in an attempt to block my face.

“Tell me something only The Kid would know” He spit back confident that I wasn’t actually The Kid.

“Alright, well instead of taking off the license plates before arriving like most racers do, me and my crew just put black electrical tape over the letters” I answered, grin returning to my face.

“What the hell are you doing? Let him in already!” I heard Pit growl from the other side of the gate. The man quickly stepped aside and let me through.

“Don’t beat yourself up over it, I wouldn’t believe The Kid was so good looking either” I pestered.

“Glad you decided to show your face. I didn’t think you actually had the balls to join the big kids for a night” Pit said walking towards me

. I couldn’t believe how packed the underpass was. I mean usually they stuff 40 people in here for the 18+ league but now there had to be close to 100 all standing shoulder to shoulder, eagerly waiting for the races to begin. These weren’t exactly your average Joes either. Everyone looked like they had paid to be here one way or another. Women without tops walked around selling shots and cigars by the masses. I immediately knew this was where I belonged.

“Yeah well get used to it, I’m here to say” I confidently said

“Don’t get so ahead of yourself, after all the rules of the races at this level are different” Pit said scanning me top to bottom trying to detect if I was phased at all by the different sights and sounds.

“I know, maybe they’ll finally bring a challenge” I said starting to get serious.

“Yeah well wait until you’ve seen a few before you make a decision. Meet me here tomorrow night after you and your little friends talk it over” Pit replied handing me a piece of paper with an address on it. I immediately put it in my sock. Gotta keep my ticket to the top safe.

“Alright but don’t expect a different answer” I insisted walking towards the crowd to try and get a better view of the cars.

The rules really were completely different on this level. In the 18+ league it’s simply a straight shot from one side of the tunnel to the other but here it’s an all-out true street race. Drivers shoot out of the exit cross onto the nearby highway go up over the bridge and circle right back into the tunnel by any means necessary. I really don’t mean to sound cocky but I know I’ll be even better at this form of racing then the others. When my dad was first teaching me to drive he would scream at me for the way I would swerve in and out of traffic “You’re gonna get us killed!” he would yell but I knew what I was doing. I can’t wait to showcase those same skills in a real race.

The first few races went off without a problem and no one really paid too much attention to a “kid” in the crowd. Pit even sent one of his men to stand near me for most of it to guarantee no one would bother his precious racer.

“I never thought this job would turn into babysitting” the guard complained

“Quit your bitching I sure as hell didn’t as for one” I protested

“Yeah well now that you’re Pit’s you better get used to taking orders” he demanded

“Yeah okay, I’m my own man who makes his own decisions” I stated not truly sure what I was getting myself into.

The guard began to laugh “You’re nothing but a kid” he uttered

“that may be true but I’m not just any kid I’m The Kid” I proudly proclaimed.

The guard gave me a half smile, nodded and walked away like I had said the right answer to a riddle he didn’t expect me to solve.

It amazed me how differently the drivers acted. They were all pigs who talked and treated women like sex objects. I’m really going to enjoy taking their money. I may make jokes but there’s no way in hell I let a racer who treats another human like that beat me. Finally it was time for the main event. The two biggest drivers in the league took off with only one coming back. We patiently waited for the losers return until finally the winning driver stood on the hood of his car and made a slashing gesture across his neck with his fingers. The mood of the underpass got serious as we all finally realized that the other driver wasn’t coming back. I stared at the winning racer making sure to take in every detail. That’s him, the man I’m going to take down to become the best.

Out of nowhere the sound of tires skidding and sirens filled the tunnel.

“POLICE! EVERYONE SCATTER!” one of the guards screamed.

Today really isn’t my day.

2016 Ace
  • Like 30
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just started reading ur series. So far, Jamie sounds like a self centered asshole who doesn't care about anyone but himself. However, I'm interested to see how Elijah changes him.

Link to comment
On 6/19/2016 at 1:40 PM, jaysalmn said:

Just started reading ur series. So far, Jamie sounds like a self centered asshole who doesn't care about anyone but himself. However, I'm interested to see how Elijah changes him.

Helping out while his mother died, and helping out with cash to support the family after, takes it toll.  If he is a little overly self-centered it is only compensating for what he feel he has to do to man up to the situation at hand.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..