Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 1,523 Words
  • 2,527 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 12. Chapter 12

Under Ground Aliases
The Kid- Jamie Free
Gears- Jacob Palmer
Gizmo- Matty Sanders
*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*

You know those moments you never forget? The second I heard the crowd roar I knew this would be one of them. My reputation has preceded me and for once I’m being shown some respect. Mobs of people walked by and checked out both my mustang and my team.

Gizmo and Gears both leaned against the car trying to act unimpressed by all the different sights and sounds, but I could tell they were floored by the differences between the 18+ leagues and the 20+ one. Particularly the topless women.

Jax walked up to the 3 of us “Welcome to the big leagues kids.” He almost had the look of a proud parent when he saw us. “I put some good money on you kid so you better win.” He stated extending his hand.

I reached out and shook it “Then prepare to become a very rich man” I laughed

He studied Gears and Gizmo making sure they’d be alright. “You race 2nd today and have another race Saturday if you win. If you want my advice, win this one, take your money and leave.” I could tell he wasn’t playing around.

“Worried I’ll be up past my bed time?” I jokingly asked

Jax kept the serious look on his face “Something like that.” He said walking back to Pit’s side.

The first race went by fast and we could hear the growling of the cars as they passed above us. I didn’t pay too much attention to it. I was busy helping Gears prep my car for the race. He instructed me that everything should be just the same as it was with the last iteration of my car.

Gears started to play with his fingers “If the brakes don’t work properly, just pass through the tunnel. Don’t be an idiot and pull the parking brake, you’ll flip the car.” I could tell he was anxious about both the new car and the new track. I put on a black racing helmet I had picked up on the way here, I wasn’t sure how much protection it would give me, but I’ve seen the other racers here wear them and figured it couldn’t hurt.

Gizmo gave me a good pat on the helmet “God speed Kid.” I nodded and climbed in the car.

As I turned the key I heard the roar of the engine. I put my hands on the wheel and could feel the car rumbling. My first big race, The Kid makes it or breaks it all right now. I rolled past the crowd and onto the starting line. I got a good look at my opponent, an older man who looked like he’d be better off being a guard then a driver. I turned back to face the road in front of me and closed my eyes for a little longer than a blink. In that second I pictured Elijah’s face and remembered just who I was racing for.

A topless woman walked between the cars and raised a flag high in the air. I faintly heard my opponent roll down his window and say something to her. He was really asking for it, wasn’t he?

“The race is simple.” She announced “The drivers will ride up to the highway, U-turn, get back on the highway and take the tunnel exit. The first racer to cross the finish line by any means will be the winner.” I felt the normal race jitters return to me “On your mark, get set, GO!” She screamed waving the flag.

I slammed my foot on the gas and took off. I took the first turn onto the highway a little fast and could see my opponent pass me in the lane next to me. I shifted into a higher gear and caught up. Come on baby just a little more, I pressed my foot against the gas and shifted into an even higher gear, my heart was pounding as fast as my car was racing. Finally I got in front of him and cut him off. I pressed the brake a bit and shifted into a lower gear boxing him in between me and a pedestrian. I saw the exit ahead and cut off the pedestrian forcing her to swerve into my opponent and take him out. The last thing I saw was his car spin out of control as a result of the collision. I laughed and took the rest of the race nice and slow. I knew what I had done was dangerous but I didn’t care. I felt a bout of anger surge in me, but this time instead of feeling sad, I felt powerful. First and foremost I’m here to win, no matter what the price. I turned into the tunnel and crossed the finish line.

The women once more waved her flag “The winner is The Kid!”

I jumped out of my car and ripped off my helmet. I could see the crowd waiting for the other racer but I raised my fist high in the air, stuck out my thumb and pointed it down like I was a roman king at a gladiator match. The crowd once again roared at my antics. Gears and Gizmo jumped on top of me congratulating me on my first big match.

“The crowd loves you Kid” Pit said with his normal growl “Here” he handed Gizmo a wad of cash “Now get out of here before the other racer gets back.”

I couldn’t help but bounce on my heels “He’s not coming back.”

“Trust me, he’ll be back.” Pit said with a smile of approval “Whatever you did… I didn’t think you had it in you.” The smile grew a little wider than disappeared. “Now leave.”

Gizmo hurried me into the car and we took off. As I got on the highway I slowly passed the aftermath of the accident. It’ wasn’t too bad, my opponent’s car was wrecked but the pedestrian was parked on the side of the road screaming at my car as we sped by while my opponent was laying on the ground bleeding from the leg. It was no doubt she had tried to call the police, but Pit knew how to put his money in the right places to assure they would never come.

Matty lowered the blasting music “What the fuck did you do?” he was trying to get a good look at my face to see if I had any regrets, but I stayed focused on the road.

“I won”

“You can’t just include other cars!” Jacob piped in “What if someone got hurt?” I could hear the aggravation growing in his voice but I didn’t care.

I let out a cocky laugh “I can and I will. I know what I’m doing. You knew what this all included when we signed up for it. Now shut up and worry about keeping the car running.” I didn’t care if I was being a dick. I had just earned us each $2,500. They should be thanking me.

Jacob refused to look at me for the rest of the night but I really don’t care what they think. When I pulled into my driveway I was surprised to see the lights in the house still on, I know I’m home earlier than usual but its still 2:00 AM.

I waltzed into the house humming to myself. When I got to the living room I saw my dad sitting on the couch watching the news.

I slowed my pace and made eye contact. “Can’t sleep?”

“Yup” he mumbled “How was your night?” he asked observing me to make sure I hadn’t been hurt on my adventure. I guess he could tell by the way I was still shaking that it was race night.

I tried to steady myself but I couldn’t. “Profitable” I said with a grin. I reached into my pocket and stripped away 3 bills. I’ll keep some spare change to spoil Eli, I told myself. I pulled out the rest of the wad and tossed it to my dad. I’ve given my dad a lot of money since I started racing but this was the first time I’ve actually handed it to him face to face.

I saw him scan through it counting how much I had just handed him. “Jamie.” I heard shock in his voice. “This is twenty two hundred dollars.” I don’t know why he was so surprised, it was only a thousand more than usual. “How did you—“

“I’m good Dad.” I said cutting him off. I really didn’t feel like going into any details about it. “Like really good.” I continued with a smile creeping across my face. He laughed at first but then a mixture of concern and guilt grew back over his face. I hated seeing him like that. “Don’t worry. I know what I’m doing.” I climbed up the stairs and collapsed onto my bed.

I pulled the $300 out of my pocket and looked at it. There’s a lot more to be made, I’m just getting started.

Hey guys and gals! I just wanted to thank you all, because of your support my reputation has passed 75, and I am out of the moderator approval stage! This will help me to follow my own schedule for publishing, which helps me to keep a chapter a day pace! Well, besides today, I guess I'm just too excited to hold this one back! I really hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! There's a lot more in store and the chaos all starts now! As always if you need anything don't hesitate to message me or email me at aceinthehole317@gmail.com. Thanks again! I could not have done this without you guys!
2016 Ace
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I stand by my my first impression of "The Kid"...I cant stand him. The fact that he didn't even care that he could have gotten an innocent person trying to make it from point A to point B killed just floored me. Maybe Jamie isn't the sweet, caring person I thought he was. Maybe "The Kid" is his real personality and the sweet caring Jamie is all an act.

Link to comment

Jamie is definitely facing the classic "success dilemma" success at what price? Seems like a defining moment in his character development. Even though he's making reckless choices, I still get the feeling that he'll find his better side over time, and eventually and take the higher road in his life.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..