Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 1,714 Words
  • 5,190 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 1. Chapter 1

Welcome! Because of some emails/messages in the past I feel like I need to add a disclaimer about the nature of the story. This is a dark story! It will have high highs and low lows! I would hate to turn anyone away from reading the story, after all I wrote it in hopes it would be loved by everyone who read it, sometimes I even have bigger dreams for it! Yet I also don't want to see anyone super upset by the course of this story. So...you've been warned!

I'm editing my disclaimer to make it clear this is a serious trigger warning.This is a tragic story, tragic enough to get comments, messages or emails once every few months even four years after I wrote it. If you're coming from some of my other stories, be warned, this was my first. The emotions are raw and I didn't pull punches. This story won't give you a feelgood ending. If you're feeling down emotionally, this may not be the story for you. I don't want to dissuade anyone from reading my stories, but want to respect the feedback readers have left.

That being said, I stand by it fully. It can be overly edgy/goofy/fantastical and has a few terrible writing or grammatical errors, but I'm proud of the story. If you choose to continue, I hope it's worth whatever emotions it causes.

--

--

The feel of the engine running, the smell of gas in the air, the smoke coming off the skidding tires to most people it sounds like a cheesy scene from an action movie but to me... well it’s my nightly ritual.

My name is Jamie and I may only be 16 with a measly permit but I will be the fastest street racer New Jersey has ever seen. You see it’s taken A LOT of work and convincing but with the help of my two best friends I’ve already made a name for myself in our little black market paradise. Usually street racing leagues don’t take anyone under the age of 18 seriously but when I showed up willing to bet my car on a race I guess they couldn’t resist letting me have a go. The conditions: I win they let me in the 18-20 year old league, I lose they get my car. Imagine trying to explain that to dear old dad! I won just like I knew I would and ever since I’ve been untouchable and tonight will be no different.

My team consisted of me known in the underground simply as The Kid (a nickname I hope to change once my reputation gets big enough), Jacob nicknamed Gears for his ability to turn my 03 mustang into a racing machine and Matty who goes under the guise Gizmo, he handles the “business” and money side of the whole operation. These 2 are my ride and dies, there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for them and vice versa. It took every last dime we had to get us here but boy has it paid off! In fact tonight’s race boasts a profit of 3 grand! We try and split it as even as possible but after the house takes their cut and we place some aside to keep my car going we’ll be left with about $1,800!

A lot of kids my age would waste the money on bribing the older kids to buy us cheap beer or impressing the girls but me I’m a little different. I don’t have much interest in crappy beers and as far as I’m concerned girls can fuck off. The only thing I care about is winning! I’m not sorry to admit that after every win I put my share of the winnings in a white envelope and leave it in my Dad’s dresser. My family doesn’t have a lot of money and being the 2nd oldest of 5 kids I knew I had to find a way to pitch in. At first my Dad would question me mercilessly about where the money came from but after he heard rumors of a young kid in a red mustang tearing up the streets he got the hint. At first I thought I was grounded big time but he pretended to ignore it and even started leaving my car keys right near the back door. I don’t think he was ever proud of my dirty little secret but it was something we had to do to make ends meet. After all if we weren’t desperate why else would a Dad let his unlicensed son sneak out with the only other car we own almost every night?

So there I sat in the driver’s seat gripping the steering wheel ready to take off at a moment’s notice. My jet black hair draping down over my eyes, I could feel my heart racing and the butterflies in my stomach start to take flight. I could hear the normal cat calls and whistles towards the barely clothed women in between my car and my opponents. I had no doubt giz and gears were staring at her rather than saying a quick prayer for me but that’s just the way I like it, I don’t need anyone or anything in this car but me. Sometimes I swear I would even catch my opponents staring. Heh Idiots, it’s bad enough you have to go up against me but in addition you’re gonna let a pair of boobs distract you? There are very few moments in my life where I’m proud to be…not interested in girls and I’ll gladly take this as one of them. Let’s just keep that little secret between us for now. I’ve known I was well…different for a while now but I have 0 interest in being a freakin fairy, I’m a racer god damn it and things will stay this way until I die!

3 2 1… *BANG*

The second I put my foot on the gas I could feel my thousand pound steed give into temptation and take off. I could swear in moments like this me and that car have a synergy no pair could beat, it was almost like we were one. My opponent didn’t stand a chance, before he even had a chance of catching up to the back of my car I had won! Hoping out of the car I could hear the crowd of close to 40 people squished in the small underpass screaming and cheering.

“Another race won by The Kid!!!” announced the barely dressed women.

If there’s such a thing as heaven I can’t imagine it even comes close to this feeling.

Gizmo and Gears rushed to my side to congratulate me on another win.

“Another night another win” screamed Gears “How did the brakes feel? I think I need to have another look at them.”

“They felt fine, it’s not like I need them anyway.” I teased

“Haha alright but if you can’t stop and wind up ramming into something that’s on you” he joked back. “

What’s the matter Gizmo? Shouldn’t you be going to get our winnings?” I asked still smiling like an idiot from the adrenaline of the race.

“No, right before the start of the race one of Pit’s men came over to me and told me that if we win before we can get our money he needs to talk to you Kid”.

“Well alright then, let’s go talk to him” I said slowly starting to get concerned

“No, he wants to talk to you…just you” Giz replied with a face so serious you would thing he wanted me to lose just to avoid the meeting.

I hate to admit it but he has reason to be worried. Pit is the man in charge of all the street racing leagues in our part of the state and he hasn’t gotten to where he is by being nice.

“Relax, I’m one of his most profitable racers I doubt I’m in any trouble” I don’t know who I was trying to convince more them or myself. Whatever like I said I’m going to be the best and that means not fearing anyone. I built up my courage and headed towards the start of the tunnel where Pit usually hangs out with some of his watchmen to make sure the cops don’t bust us.

“Hell of a race you had there Kid” Pit growled “What is this 11 in a row?”

“Yes sir” I replied trying to not show how intimidated and nervous I actually was.

“What do you think about bumping up a league? Start racing with the 20 year olds. Maybe even earn yourself a real nickname.”

“If you’re okay with a 16 year old ruling 20 year olds that’s fine by me” I said now flashing my usual cocky smile

“HA, I’ll tell you what kid if anything you’re at least entertaining to listen to” Pit was even starting to smile at this point “How about this, you come back here tomorrow night and watch some of the big kids race and make sure you really know what you’re getting yourself into before you decide. After all the last thing I need is one of my better racers going out before his time.” I could feel my nerves returning as the conversation started to get serious again

“Alright but don’t think it’ll scare me away, I’m not like the rest.” I said trying to lighten the mood again

“This isn’t a game, that attitude will get you killed. Now here take your money and get out of here, don’t you have school or some bullshit tomorrow?” He barked “Oh and make sure you leave that red piece of junk at home tomorrow, the last thing you want is future competition getting a chance to get up close and personal with it.”

I nodded took the envelope filled with cash, hopped in the car with my friends, turned the radio up and sped away.

Imagine that me in the 20 year old league? I couldn’t help but howl along with my engine on the drive home that night. Things were about to get better I could feel it. Next step the big leagues, well after school that is!

2016 Ace
  • Like 36
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Where in Jersey is Jamie racing? Englishtown?

 

I like the story so far. Gizmo and Gears are cute nicknames for his friends.

 

If you don't mind a little crit -- many of your sentences are run-on; you need commas or you just need to make the sentences two or three sentences. Also, when you're writing dialogue, each character's dialogue gets a different line. You can't have the characters all talking on the same line because it's too hard to follow. Who's saying what? Know what I mean?

 

If you check out the stories on the site, you'll see that each section of dialogue has its own paragraph.

 

I'll try chapter two now. :)

Link to comment
On 06/14/2016 11:05 AM, Lisa said:

Where in Jersey is Jamie racing? Englishtown?

 

I like the story so far. Gizmo and Gears are cute nicknames for his friends.

 

If you don't mind a little crit -- many of your sentences are run-on; you need commas or you just need to make the sentences two or three sentences. Also, when you're writing dialogue, each character's dialogue gets a different line. You can't have the characters all talking on the same line because it's too hard to follow. Who's saying what? Know what I mean?

 

If you check out the stories on the site, you'll see that each section of dialogue has its own paragraph.

 

I'll try chapter two now. :)

Funny you should say that! He's definitely racing right around that area of central Jersey!

 

Thanks for the great advice! I'm actually in the middle of writing the next few chapters and will change it! If you can think of anything else dont be afraid to let me know!!!

 

Thanks for reading!

Link to comment

WOW!
Great first chapter -- and a really great story setup! I like your characters, and especially the setting. Can't wait to see what happens next!
Thanks for posting this.

Link to comment

My sister at 17 had a mustang V6, and won a rally against other mustangs, all of which had V8's.  She kept on racing until she decided enough was enough.  Can definitely see Jamie as a possible reality.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..