Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 945 Words
  • 862 Views
  • 8 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Advent Calendar - 24. Door#24 - A Light for Jacob

A Light for Jacob

 

“You forgot Jacob, Mrs. McClain!” Adam yelled, waving his hand.

“Manners, Adam! Please don’t shout out in class,” the teacher scolded.

“I’m sorry, but Jacob hasn’t picked a name yet, and you just said we’re all done.” He glanced at the boy in the row next to him. He didn’t know much about the new addition to their fifth grade class, only that the boy kept mainly to himself.

Most of the class thought Jacob was odd. He wore a small, round, black cap over his ebony curls and dressed very plainly. He used funny words sometimes and didn’t play any sports. Jacob brought strange food for lunch, and always politely refused snacks when offered.

“I didn’t forget Jacob, Adam. He’s Jewish and won’t be participating in the Christmas gift exchange per his parents’ request.” Mrs. McClain turned to the chalkboard after instructing the class to produce their math homework. A chorus of groans followed the order.

Jacob lowered his head and quickly wiped away the tear that slid down his cheek, hoping no one noticed. Adam had, however, and his heart lurched at the other boy’s distress. He had a difficult time focusing on his classwork. His thoughts were of black curls, brown eyes, and how it felt to be excluded. He wondered what it meant to be Jewish, and why the boy couldn’t participate in the gift exchange anyway.

Adam usually spent his time after school playing with friends, watching TV, or doing his homework; however, that afternoon he headed to the library to do some research. After finding the right section, he removed several books and sat at a table, reading for hours before realizing that he was late for dinner. His mom was not going to be happy. He checked out several books before running home.

Adam spent the next week immersed in Jewish culture. He read about their long history and traditions, crying when learning the extent to which they had been persecuted. His mother drove him to a neighboring town, where the closest synagogue was, so he could talk to the rabbi and learn more about Jewish customs. Once he felt like he had enough information, he approached his teacher with his findings and an idea to include Jacob in their holiday celebration.

Mrs. McClain felt a mixture of pride and shame when Adam presented his idea—pride at the initiative and empathy of her student, and shame that she didn’t think of it first. She immediately gave her approval, and a week later the students gaped at the transformation their classroom had undergone. Jacob had overslept that day, and was the last to enter the room.

His mouth dropped open when he saw the menorah next to the small Christmas tree, and the blue and white streamers lining the walls. “Happy Hanukkah” was written in Hebrew on the blackboard, and a giant cut-out of a dreidel was tacked on the bulletin board, surrounded by Santa and his reindeer. He took his seat as Mrs. McClain called the class to order.

“We have a special presentation today, class. Today is the first day of Hanukkah, and Adam has been working hard to bring this holiday tradition to life.” She moved to side of the classroom, resting against the wall, to observe her student.

Adam stepped to the front of the classroom clutching a handful of papers. He cleared his throat and began, shaky at first, but gaining confidence as he saw the interest on the faces of his classmates and Jacob’s beaming face.

He explained the origins of Hanukkah and the miracle of the oil. He told the class how the ancient Greeks and Syrians sought to overthrow the Jewish people, and while they first succeeded, the Greeks were ultimately overthrown. To celebrate their victory, the Jews wanted to light the menorah in the temple, but the Greeks had desecrated their holy oil. Enough remained for only one night, however, it burned brightly for eight days and nights, prompting the tradition of lighting the eight menorah candles.

Adam invited Jacob to the front of the room to light the first two candles on the menorah sitting next to the Christmas tree. Jacob smiled shyly at Adam, then said a prayer in Hebrew before lighting the candles. He lit the higher middle candle—the Shamash—first, then used it to light another candle on the left side of the menorah.

After class, Jacob approached Adam to ask him why he did it. Adam replied, “Because I know what it’s like to not fit in. I saw the look on your face during the name draw for the gift exchange and thought how unfair it was that we didn’t even acknowledge your traditions.”

Jacob thanked him, then ran from the room, not wanting the other boy to see his tears of happiness.

For the next week, Adam began each class with the lighting of the menorah, followed by other Hanukkah traditions—such as learning songs and playing the dreidel game. He even talked his mother into helping him make traditional Hanukkah food. He made sure to talk to the rabbi to ensure he was remaining Kosher.

After that first day, something remarkable happened to Jacob. He was no longer the outsider. Adam invited him to sit at his table during lunchtime and meet his friends. It was the first time that he felt like he truly belonged, and it led to a lifetime friendship between the two boys.

 

Link to the dreidel song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETPlDKT4hdM

 

Recipe for latkes:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/potato-latkes-358347

 

Recipe for brisket:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/221041/wine-braised-beef-brisket/?internalSource=hn_carousel

Last door! I hope you enjoyed our joined venture. Thank you for reading, liking, and commenting! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and memories here and at the story topic. With your help, the calendar became so much more than we thought. This is why there will be an encore...cyberethically...
Copyright © 2016 aditus, Cole Matthews, Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you for acknowledging that not all of us celebrate the same holiday(s) this season!

 

Personally I celebrate a secular christmas with a pagan (artificial) evergreen tree decorated this year with classic origami Tsuru (Cranes) folded out of plain red paper.

 

I generally wish people a "Happy Holidays!" with the occasional "¡Feliz Navidad!" to my Castilian-speaking neighbors. Enjoy Saturnalia everybody! ;-)

Link to comment

A great ending to a great calendar! Regardless of beliefs, the true meaning of Christmas is to share friendship and love with everyone, and try to include those who may be lonely. Adam did a wonderful thing, seeing a 'solution' to a problem that is really only in our minds. Because when it comes down to it, we just want to belong but also be allowed to be ourselves.

 

I hope everyone has a great few days now, with lots of good food!

Link to comment

Beautiful :heart: Penguin must have written this :read::huh::funny:
Thank you, Cole, Aditus and Valkyrie for this lovely Advent calendar :huf:

Link to comment

I don't care who wrote this final offering ... it's simply beautiful.
May each of us enjoy our Holidays and diversity ... Blessed Solstice, Happy Hannakuh, Blessed Yule and Saturnalia, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa ...

Link to comment

I cried the first time I read this, and now reading it again today, I cried again. I know EXACTLY how Jacob felt being left out of all the Christmas hoopla in school. As I mentioned in one of my previous reviews, being one of three Jewish kids (two of them are twins!) in my school, I ALWAYS felt left out. Nobody acknowledged us and our traditions. That was a beautiful and selfless thing Adam did for Jacob.

 

And of course, I love the fact that not only Jacob's name comes from The Bible, but Adam's does too! :)

Link to comment

I cried at the end,so if happy tears was your goal you succeeded. Your Advent Calendar of stories was a brilliant idea. I will look forward to the one you all do next year. Sounds like a tradition starting to me. Thank you for this nice addition to the holiday season. Merry Christmas, a day late. Jeff

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..