Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 497 Words
  • 1,128 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prickly Prompts - 5. #765 The Mackerel

Use the following words in a story - a boat, a statue, a flock of seagulls, a rain coat, and a blue blanket.

The Mackerel

 

Gil sauntered along the dock, a rolled up blue blanket firmly tucked under his left arm, hoping the harbormaster didn’t notice him.

“Gil!” Too late. The man’s usually friendly expression had turned grim as he stormed towards where the Mackerel was moored. “I can’t let you go out there. A storm is coming.”

“Oh come on, Bill. There’s barely a cloud in the sky!”

“You know how quickly the weather can change around here. ” A flock of seagulls flew by and cawed loudly the moment Bill had reached him, drowning out his words.

“Only for an hour!” Gil grabbed the rope that tied the Mackerel to a post, loosened the knot with a sharp pull, and jumped on the boat.

“Gil!”

Grinning, he waved at Bill, turned the key, and waited until the engine caught. “I’ll be back in an hour!” Gradually he raised the throttle and drove away with a roaring engine, knowing Bill could do nothing to hold him back. After a few moments, he put the rolled-up blanket down by his feet and steered his boat away from the coast.

When he was surrounded by nothing but the sea, he sat down and watched the horizon. The wind was picking up and the water had become choppy. Grey cloud mountains formed on the horizon. He still had time.

Smaller clouds were racing the sky now. When a gust of wind tugged on his hair, he heard the radio crackle. Bill was calling him.

It began to rain. Gil unrolled the blanket and carefully took the statue in hand. He ran his fingers over the smooth metal, following the intricate pattern forming the scales and fins of a silver mackerel. It almost looked alive. Inhaling the briny air deeply, he held his hands over the water. For a short moment, it looked as if the fish was wriggling its tail and Gil’s hands were empty. He stood up, slipped out of his raincoat, grabbed the hem of his sweater, and pulled it over his head. Next, he snapped the button of his pants open and pulled them down together with his underwear. After throwing his boots aside, he stood naked in the rain, arms spread to the side. In the background, he heard the radio--Bill was calling his name. He looked over his shoulder towards the coast, bent his knees, and dived head-first into the sea. The moment the tips of his fingers touched the water, his legs turned into a huge fishtail and moments later its mighty fin had vanished under water.

 

Three months later, Jer wandered along the northern beach. As he always did, he stopped where they’d found his lover’s shattered boat, thrown on land by the storm. Gil’s body had never been found.

For a short moment, the clouds disappeared, and a silver glint to caught Jer’s eye. Curiosity briefly distracted him from grief as he bent over to see what the sand hid.

Thank you for reading, comments are always appreciated.
:thankyou: @Valkyrie for the quick editing!
@comicfan, you made me think! Thank you. Let's hope it will help to finally finish Kabal.  
 
Copyright © 2019 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another slightly disturbing story. What would drive Gil to want to become a mackerel? This is like the reverse of the Little Mermaid.

I wonder what the story would have been like if you’d thought of I Ran (So Far Away) by A Flock of Seagulls from 1982?
;–)

Link to comment
Aditus

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

wonder what the story would have been like if you’d thought of I Ran (So Far Away) by A Flock of Seagulls from 1982?
;–)

Then it had been a boy with auburn hair and tawny eyes and someone had swum away? Besides, those pants and  hair is/are awful...Gods!

I blame @Timothy M. for the mackerel.

Edited by aditus
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, aditus said:

I blame @Timothy M. for the mackerel.

Mackerel was one of the fish that my parents’ friends used to bring us after they went sports fishing. I remember barracuda too. One regular christmas gift was a case of Albacore Tuna – which meant tuna sandwiches for lunch! Having had too much fish as a child is why I refuse to eat seafood now.
;–)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, aditus said:

I blame @Timothy M. for the mackerel.

:blink:  Why ? I like to eat rugbrød med makrel i tomat og mayonaise (mackerel filet in a tomato sauce on rye bread with mayo), but otherwise the only association to Makrellen is a Danish BS biker who got killed by a Hells Angel biker.

I'm guessing the fish statue lets you turn into a merman, so if Jer picks it up from the sand he may be able to follow Gil. But would he want to ? Especially if they can't turn back to make love, since fish sex is pretty boring. ;)  

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

I'm guessing the fish statue lets you turn into a merman, so if Jer picks it up from the sand he may be able to follow Gil. But would he want to ? Especially if they can't turn back to make love, since fish sex is pretty boring. ;)  

I was reading about some of the interesting ways dolphins have (same-sex) sex. I know they aren’t fish and that they’re mammals. But Jer and Gil are/were mammals…
;–)

Link to comment

Ha! Very clever. Great use of the prompt, Adi, and I like that you left an old romantic like me with some hope. Will Jer be able to turn into a merman if he keeps the statue? Did Gil somehow orchestrate that he would find it? I choose to believe. :) Lots of questions, but we really don't need the answers. Cheers... Gary.... 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Ha! Very clever. Great use of the prompt,

Thank you, Gary! And you're asking all the right questions. :heart:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, aditus said:

I still have your milde makrel in mind. 

LOL, of course - I forgot about that. 

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, aditus said:

Dare you.

So when can we expect the sequel where Jer picks up the shiny sliver item that caught his eye?
;–)

Spoiler

I wasn’t going to, but you dared me!
;–)

 

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

So when can we expect the sequel

When  a certain someone has finished their story and you wrote a poem longer than four stanzas.  *smug*

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, aditus said:

When  a certain someone has finished their story and you wrote a poem longer than four stanzas.  *smug*

I know my role here: readers read, we don’t write poetry…
;–)

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

readers read, we don’t write poetry

I know, I know, just talking about probabilities.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Being a merman would have its appeal. I like the ocean. But the sex thing is a bit of a concern... Probably just my poor imagination. I'm guessing Jer will figure it out and follow. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hmm. I'll have to see what this week's prompts are to inspire you.

 

So the statue turns him into a merman or mackerel? He leaves a lover behind? You really need to give us more.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Jer will figure it out and

That's what I pictured. ;) Thank you for your comment, Puppi!

Link to comment
11 hours ago, comicfan said:

Hmm. I'll have to see what this week's prompts are to inspire you

There will be something, I'm sure!

More? :no:  :)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, aditus said:

There will be something, I'm sure!

More? :no:  :)

It's as @Valkyrie constantly tells me, expand and more. Lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..