Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 16. Chapter 16

Sorry for the week off, been a bit hectic. Here's the next installment.

“Thank you, Mr. Tellerman, you’re free to go now.” Judge Milton gestured to the exit to the witness stand. Jason found him pleasant enough, but he’d seen first hand what happened when he got mad. “Please don’t discuss your testimony with anyone else.”

“Yes sir.”

Walking out of the courtroom proved harder than walking in. Instead of the backs of everyone’s head, now he had to face them as he left. Ignoring Jordan and his attorney proved easy enough; he decided to look at his and Peter’s families seated behind the prosecutors. But when they started to smile, he had to fight the urge to grin back.

All joy drained away once he spotted Jordan’s family glaring at him from the back row. Jordan’s sister especially shot daggers at him with her eyes.

“C’mon, Jason,” Mary whispered in his ear. Her hand between his shoulder blades kept him walking. “They’re not worth your anger.”

Muffled voices came from inside the witness room and Jason found Peter inside talking with the detectives in charge of the case.

All three looked up expectedly.

“And?” Detective Belle asked for the trio.

“Aside from the little ruckus he caused at the bench, Jason did great.”

“Hey.” His frown failed when she winked at him. “That was so not my fault.”

“Actually it wasn’t, but you seem so serious, I was trying to lighten the mood.”

Peter stood up and stood next to Jason, slipping their hands together. “Are we done?”

Mary’s face softened when she smiled. “Yes. I don’t expect either of you will need to testify again. But as a precaution, I can’t let you go back in and hear the rest of the case.”

“Like I’d want to?” Peter mumbled his words, but Jason heard them.

“Will you let us know what’s happening?” Jason knew his parents would be there, but he asked anyway.

“Of course, but I don’t expect closing arguments tomorrow given what I know about the defense case.”

* * *

 

 

Stepping into a pair of blue Graydon shorts, Jason wished he hadn't missed practice for the second day in a row. Running alone sucked and it did nothing to get him ready for the start of the season. Thankfully they didn't need to go back.

He grabbed a white tee shirt on the way out and hoped Peter had made it back with dinner. When he reached the kitchen, he found Darryl sitting alone, drinking a protein shake.

"Couldn't wait for dinner, D?" Jason noticed a second glass and pointed toward it. When Darryl nodded he picked it up and started to drink.

"Trust me, vegetarian food is something I could wait forever for. Who let Peter pick?"

Downing half the contents, Jason put the glass on the counter and wiped his mouth. "Had either you or Dean thought to get something, you could have avoided letting Pete choose. Now?" he shrugged.

"Noted." After pointing his glass at Jason, Darryl downed the rest and sat back. "So how did it go?"

"I only got to see and hear my part, but from what my parents said, it isn't going well for Jordan. Not that his attorney isn't doing a good job. But even money can't spin gold out of garbage."

"Yeah, well your Pop helped level the playing field." He started to laugh. "I'll bet it shriveled up Hank Colmar's nuts when he learned your family was going to outspend him helping the government."

"Honestly, I don't care a fuck about the Colmars. They act like I'm the one who did something wrong." He stared into the remainder of his drink and nearly dumped it down the drain. "This tastes way worse than anything Pete will get at the vegetarian place."

"Yeah, but we don't drink it for taste. Dinner is supposed to taste much better than a protein drink."

Jason laughed–really laughed–for the first time all day. "I got nothing."

"I know you don't. After all these years you ought to know better than to argue with me. I'm always right."

"Oh?" Jason arched an eyebrow at his friend. "So the time you said we could sneak out of your parents house at 2 a.m. without setting off the alarm, I imagined that we got caught?"

"Hey, how was I supposed to know my dad changed the code that night."

"Mhmm." Jason swallowed the last of his drink. "And you said we could use garbage can covers to protect us when we did the Mentos and Diet Coke Project."

Darryl shook his head and waggled his finger. "Like that was my fault you threw the bottle wrong and it sprayed us both with coke."

Jason rolled his eyes. "And it's somehow my fault you told me the sun tan oil you used would be fine when we went the beach."

Darryl opened his mouth as if to speak, then started to laugh instead.

Jason turned his back and started to rinse his glass. "Exactly."

"No wait," Darryl managed between gasps of laughter. "You have to admit, you were an amazing shade of red."

"Dude, you basted me in oil. I wasn't red, I was cooked like a rotisserie chicken."

Darryl started laughing harder. "You were running like a chicken too the next day."

"Practice was horrible." Even his tee shirt felt like sand paper. "You almost gave me sun poisoning, you know."

"I sad I was sorry about a hundred times." Darryl's faux look of contrition hadn't improved in the five years since this happened. "And I did give you a sponge taped to a back scratcher so you could apply lotion to your back."

"It's a good thing you're not a doctor if that's the best bedside manner you've got." Remembering the stick, Jason started to laugh as well. Peter chose that moment to come home.

Standing in the doorway with a big bag in his arms, he smiled at the pair. "Did I miss something?"

Before Jason could say, "no", Darryl said, "Did Jason ever tell you about the time he tried to broil himself in butter?"

Looking more amused by the moment, Peter peered down his nose at Jason. "No, but it sounds hot. Do tell."

I think we'll move back to Ethan and Blake. And then see where we go next.

Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I love the warmth and comradeship between Jason and Pete. It seems so natural and effortless. I know this story isn't so much about them but the other characters but I love the chapters that involve them and show that companionship that they share.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Ethan and Blake. It seems they have a few obstacles to overcome. Although it does seem that they are handling things pretty well right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So sweet! I love these little looksies into Daryl and Jason's friendship. They make me smile. :)

On a side note, my husband has outlawed my iPod when he is in the car ( I, in turn, outlawed Howard Stern) so the radio was playing and I hear this Macklemore song, Same Love. It totally reminded me of Jason. If you don't listen to the radio you should find it on YouTube. Actually you should do that anyway ~ the video is great.

Glad you're back. Hope life settles down a bit. Awesome week to ya! :) dani

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/12/2013 02:49 AM, CW Prince said:
I love the warmth and comradeship between Jason and Pete. It seems so natural and effortless. I know this story isn't so much about them but the other characters but I love the chapters that involve them and show that companionship that they share.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Ethan and Blake. It seems they have a few obstacles to overcome. Although it does seem that they are handling things pretty well right now.

Thanks! I think when I started this, I had in mind two separate relationships - the best friends Darryl and Jason, and the Boy friends, Peter and Jason. I wanted to do something to show that you can keep your straight best friend even when you have a BF. That's part of what I hope to do with their senior year. So I'll keep trying.

 

But yes, what to do with Ethan and Blake. :whistle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/12/2013 05:34 AM, thejoedani4 said:
So sweet! I love these little looksies into Daryl and Jason's friendship. They make me smile. :)

On a side note, my husband has outlawed my iPod when he is in the car ( I, in turn, outlawed Howard Stern) so the radio was playing and I hear this Macklemore song, Same Love. It totally reminded me of Jason. If you don't listen to the radio you should find it on YouTube. Actually you should do that anyway ~ the video is great.

Glad you're back. Hope life settles down a bit. Awesome week to ya! :) dani

Glad to hear you liked it, I was afraid this would be too boring or tame for folks. As I said in the other chapter response, I've wanted to show their friendship as well as what Jason and Peter have.

 

I'll go check that out video, I'm always up for something new - thanks for telling me. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Liked the little lighthearted chapter to kinda get the focus off of the court case. The boys needed a laugh to take their minds off of the legal crap lol. I would love to hear about some of those escapades, the broiling in butter sounds particularly painful but very funny. Nice light chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/22/2013 03:52 PM, Daithi said:
Liked the little lighthearted chapter to kinda get the focus off of the court case. The boys needed a laugh to take their minds off of the legal crap lol. I would love to hear about some of those escapades, the broiling in butter sounds particularly painful but very funny. Nice light chapter.
I wish I had a better format to delve into Jason and Darryl's lives - especially their friendship. In my mind, they are best mates and there is nothing sexual about it. Darryl doesn't even think of Jason as gay - only as Jason. They are however in many ways like an old married couple - they know each other so well and have pranked each other so many times over the years - well Darryl tends to do the pranking, but hey we all have our roles. :P Anyway, maybe some day - I say that about a lot however, so unless I win the lottery, I don't know that some day will ever come for me. :-/
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loved, loved, loved, the banter between Jason and Darryl. Seemed like old times. I am enjoying this so much Andy. I hate that I am about to be caught up. You need to write faster :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2013 01:40 AM, joann414 said:
Loved, loved, loved, the banter between Jason and Darryl. Seemed like old times. I am enjoying this so much Andy. I hate that I am about to be caught up. You need to write faster :P
Haha, write faster - if you knew how much this cost me in term of writing things for the publisher. Not that I'm complaining, but it is a time drag so I'm glad I can keep doing this much and you want more?? :o
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..