Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 13. Chapter 13

First - the new Cover. Cia did the cover for the story. If you like it, let her know. I love it, but then it's mine so I get to be like that. :P
Second, this picks up right after 12.  So if you read 12 again and click to this one, it'll be like turning a page. smile.png  Enjoy.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:8001]

 

Jason looked at Peter, who gave him the barest of shrugs. "Um, yeah, let me finish getting dressed."

Matt squinted, but didn't say anything. Then he nodded, his lips squeezed tight.

"Can I get you something to drink?" Peter asked, but Jason didn't wait for the answer.

Judging by Matt's face, it probably wouldn't be a fun chat. On the other hand, Jason didn't need to hunt down his teammate.

Changing into a pair of khaki cargo shorts, Jason realized he'd come up to stall. Frowning, he left the room.

He found Matt, cradling a glass of water, sitting on the second hand couch Pete had brought with him. Peter's absence didn't surprise Jason.

"Pete said he needed to go get food." Matt looked at him sheepishly.

The silence lingered uncomfortably long. Jason didn't make an attempt to end it. He walked over to a chair facing the couch and stared in Matt's direction. If Matt came to talk, then he needed to start talking.

Finally Matt let out a loud sigh. "I know I kinda fucked up today.

"It's more than a fuck up, Matt. You tried to hurt Blake." Letting out some of the pent up frustration, he stood up and spread his arms out. "Why would you try to hurt your own teammate? And why Blake? He's always been a good guy."

"Not always." Matt's words, whispered under his breath, stopped Jason's rant.

"What?"

Tilting his head up, Matt cast a defiant stare. "I said he hasn't always been a good guy."

"Huh?"

"Please." Matt seemed less contrite then when he arrived. "Don't tell me you forgot he called you a fag the first day of practice."

"That's what this is about?" Having lost his momentum, Jason sat down. "You're still mad about that?"

"No, Jase. You said let it go and I did. But he's…he's…."

"He's what?"

"He's gay." Matt nearly flinched. "He's been hiding it since he came to Graydon."

Matt not liking gay people made more sense than what Jason just heard. "And that's a reason to try to break his ankle?"

"C'mon, you know I had it under control."

Jason hadn't seen the tackle, but 'control' wasn't a word Darryl used. Regardless. Shaking his head, he refused to be derailed again.

"So you say. But that doesn't explain why you're mad."

"Damn right I am." The veins in Matt's neck pulsed as he growled out the words.

"Why?" He resisted the urge to throw a pillow. "What did he do that's so bad?"

"He's been lying to us all this time."

"So? I didn't tell people I was gay at first."

Matt waved a hand at Jason. "That's not it."

"Then make me understand."

"You and Pete –mostly you–shoulder a lot responsibilities being an out couple. And you being the team captain and all, you've been pretty visible."

"And that's Blake's fault how?"

"He should have stepped up and helped you."

That was the problem? "You're mad because he didn't come out sooner?"

"Yes!" Matt stood up and faced the window just as a thunderstorm started. "Not only did he call you a derogatory name, he's never manned up. How can I respect someone who'd let one of his best friends, someone he looked up to, do all the heavy lifting, while he sat back and kept safe. He should have come out and helped."

"It doesn’t work like that, Matt. Everyone comes out at their own pace….."

He spun around, cutting Jason off. "You didn't."

"But I wish I could have." He shook his head. This wasn't about him. "Just because I got outted, doesn't mean Blake needed to come out sooner."

The twinge of anger never left Matt's eyes. "He talks about how much he looks up to you…." Matt shook his head and squinted. " I should have figured it out sooner, but what he said to you the first day threw me."

"I still don't get why you're mad." Jason realized he'd crept forward in his chair, his voice almost a shout and sat back. "I'm fine with him, why aren't you?"

"You're too nice, Jase. You stuck up for him when you should have had him kicked off the team. Instead, you took some of the blame – never figured out how that worked." Matt picked up his glass and drained the last of his water. "Bottom line, he's been hiding behind you when he should have standing beside you. Worse, he's a closet case who pretended to hate gays to keep people from figuring him out."

Drop by drop, with each word; Jason's anger toward his friend fell away. A bit of shame replaced the ire. "Gotcha."

"So you agree?" Matt's voice sounded hopeful, but guarded.

A nervous laugh broke from Jason's throat. "No, but I…I appreciate your friendship."

"Always. But why…."

"Don't I agree?" When Matt nodded, Jason smirked. "Because I told him not to come out."

"You?"

"Yeah." Jason saw that day clearly in his mind. "He told me the truth the day after our run in and I told him to wait until he felt ready."

"Really?" Matt finally sat down again. "He still should have stepped up. It would have been fine. He had friends he knew he could count on."

"Like I had?" He didn't need to mention Jordan's name. The trial was coming up and everyone on the team avoided the topic.

"Oh, yeah." The words were soft, almost hushed. "Gotcha."

Sensing an opening, Jason moved in. "So lay off, please?"

"Sure, I won't go after him again, but…I'm still pissed."

Jason opened his mouth but shut it before speaking. Instead he nodded. There'd be time later. A minute passed and he got up, nodding toward the kitchen. "You wanna stay for dinner?"

"Who's cooking?"

Jason grinned. "Pete. I only cook for people I don't like."

Finally, after a trying day, a small smile slowly grew across Matt's face. Jason's friend Matt returned. "Yeah, I'm staying."

Ah yes, where to go next, who to look in on?  Not sure what's next to be honest, but hopefully I'll figure it out soon.  smile.png
Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So basically Matt was mad at Blake not because he is Gay so much but the fact that he did this come out to stand with Pete and Jason, not realizing that Jason knew and had told Blake to come when he was ready. Well I'm glad to see on each Matt understood be accepted it and was sorry he reacted like he did. Granted matt still isn't happy but he does understand more. No more confusion Great chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hey Andrew...I had to flip to your website when I saw your update earlier this morning. I couldn't wait. Inquiring minds want to know. :D Why do I get the feeling there is still more coming? Could it be your comment about this being mini-chapter? I know; I know. Patience, reader, patience.

Andy R

Link to comment
On 06/13/2013 01:22 PM, Daithi said:
So basically Matt was mad at Blake not because he is Gay so much but the fact that he did this come out to stand with Pete and Jason, not realizing that Jason knew and had told Blake to come when he was ready. Well I'm glad to see on each Matt understood be accepted it and was sorry he reacted like he did. Granted matt still isn't happy but he does understand more. No more confusion Great chapter!
Have you ever seen some people who are very accepting and can't understand why others don't come out? As if their total acceptance makes it hard to understand that everyone else isn't as accepting? Well that's sort of Matt- toss in he's fiercely loyal and that despite what he said, he wasn't totally over Blake calling Jason a fag - and well you can see he wasn't particularly pleased with Blake.

 

And the Matt is secretly gay theory never held water for me. I think that would have veered this story into gay wishful fantasy where everyone hot is gay. I don't do that ;-)

 

Thanks for reading.

 

-AQG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/13/2013 01:29 PM, KevinD said:
Yes, quite a bit of mystery cleared up with this mini-chapter.
Kevin -

 

Thanks for reading - with one that clears up, do other's arise? 0:)

 

Ah where to go next, such a hard choice when there are so many options.

 

-AQG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/13/2013 01:49 PM, said:
Hey Andrew...I had to flip to your website when I saw your update earlier this morning. I couldn't wait. Inquiring minds want to know. :D Why do I get the feeling there is still more coming? Could it be your comment about this being mini-chapter? I know; I know. Patience, reader, patience.

Andy R

First, thanks for reading - wherever is good. I just let folks know it's up on the site because I generally post it there for a bit first. Second No no no - what i meant by the 'mini-chapter' was these two flashes would have been one chapter without the word limit. That's all - really. 0:)

 

And what's next? Hmm. No comment. :whistle:

 

Thanks for reading.

 

-AQG

  • Like 1
Link to comment

And, in the end, Matt is a...fiercely loyal friend. Maybe to a fault, but always lovely to know you have one of those in your corner. :) I agree that Matt being gay would have challenged the reality of the story a bit.

Thank you for not leaving us hanging. Though, I must admit, I was looking forward to the challenge of hunting ya down! Me and mine could have taken you and yours to lunch! Of course I would have had to be successful in the hunt.

I will wait patiently to see where you take us next. It will undoubtedly be worth it. In the meantime, I will take it upon myself to peruse the rest of your library. ;)

Have an awesome week and a Happy Father's Day to ya! Until next time....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/14/2013 12:35 AM, thejoedani4 said:
And, in the end, Matt is a...fiercely loyal friend. Maybe to a fault, but always lovely to know you have one of those in your corner. :) I agree that Matt being gay would have challenged the reality of the story a bit.

Thank you for not leaving us hanging. Though, I must admit, I was looking forward to the challenge of hunting ya down! Me and mine could have taken you and yours to lunch! Of course I would have had to be successful in the hunt.

I will wait patiently to see where you take us next. It will undoubtedly be worth it. In the meantime, I will take it upon myself to peruse the rest of your library. ;)

Have an awesome week and a Happy Father's Day to ya! Until next time....

Friendly stalkers are always welcome. I'm not THAT hard to find - most people just ask. :whistle:

 

Thanks for the father's day wishes. I'm being told I MUST get the hubs something - though to me it feels like buying myself a father's day gift if he buys me one and I buy him one, but my co-worker told me I was being a scrooge. So I relent. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Still think that was a pretty harsh reaction from Matt, but I guess he is a damn good friend :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2013 01:18 AM, joann414 said:
Still think that was a pretty harsh reaction from Matt, but I guess he is a damn good friend :P
Don't forget, Matt nearly beat the crap out of Blake for calling Jason a fag the beginning of last year. SO for him, it was not harsh. But well hopefully this is the end of things.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/13/2013 at 4:28 AM, Andrew Q Gordon said:

And the Matt is secretly gay theory never held water for me. I think that would have veered this story into gay wishful fantasy where everyone hot is gay. I don't do that 😉

But everyone hot IS secretly gay! Well, at least the men.

Edited by BlueWindBoy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..