Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 8. Chapter 8

Since the voices spoke - both of them - I decided to keep with the current scene for chapter 8. I think the end/beginning worked out okay.

Blake sat up so he could face Ethan. His stomach still did flips, but this time he blamed it on the smiling guy across from him. "It's nothing special, just a small Italian place. I figured you could never go wrong with Pizza."

"Certainly not with me." Ethan reached out and started to rub Blake's hand with his thumb. "And you don't need to take me to dinner. I'll split it with you."

"What if I want to?" He had hoped this would be a date. "I've never really gone on a date–at least not with a guy–and well, you did drive all the way to see me. It's the least I can do."

Lifting their hands, Ethan entwined their fingers, twisted around and lay with his head in Blake's lap. "I'd say it's more than that. Did I ever mention I was a hopeless romantic?"

Blake laughed remembering how they met. "Was that before or after you asked me to sneak away from the party to show me Jason's guest room?"

"Hey, I asked if you'd seen the rest of the house, not did you want to see the bedroom."

Blake snorted when he watched Ethan try to look innocent. "And the tour conveniently began and ended with the bedroom. "

"Actually–" Ethan pointed his finger at Blake and closed one eyelid "–I said I wanted to get something from the room."

"Mints do not count as an innocent side trip to your room." The conversation had taken a different turn and Blake wondered why he protested. If Ethan hadn't started there, they might not have sat and talked.

"Hey a boy needs to be prepared and it turned out I needed them."

Ethan's 'need' had been him inching closer and asking if he Blake's lips were cold. "Please, you made a need for them when you kissed me."

"You looked like you needed a kiss." He twisted again and sat back up.

"I did." More than he had realized at the time. "As I'm sure you figured out."

"Trust me, driving home the next day, I knew."

Blake felt the tightness in his shorts and knew they needed to change topics or his dinner plans might be in jeopardy. "That's such a romantic thought."

The smile Ethan had worn since he arrived never faltered. "Okay you got me there. But I was sore in places I didn't know could be sore."

"Maybe we should try something a bit less vigorous this weekend." He tried to hide a smirk, but knew he failed. "You said your legs hurt and coach ran us into the pitch this week."

Ethan raised both eyebrows, then looked down at Blake's visible excitement. "I said they were sore, not too tired to rest on your shoulders."

"That's sooo romantic." Hot, but hardly romantic. Blake leaned closer and kissed Ethan. "I really want to take you to dinner and I get the sense that if we start down that path, we won't make it in time."

Ethan cupped the back of Blake's head and drew them closer. When their tongues met, Blake moaned. As thoughts of dinner faded, Ethan pulled away and jumped off the bed. "Let's go for a walk."

Stunned by the rapid change, Blake stared at Ethan's outstretched hand. When he didn't take it right away, Ethan shook his hand until Blake grasped it. After he pulled Blake to his feet, Ethan tugged him toward the door.

"I agree with you, we won't make it to dinner if we stay here." He unlocked the door, then turned around before he opened it. "Besides, it isn't every day I get to be seen with a hot soccer stud who's planning to take me to dinner."

Blake grabbed the keys off the desk next to the door. He wanted this, wanted to be secure enough to go out with a guy on a date, but faced with actually doing it, his doubts returned. Having Ethan next to him made it easier, but what about after Ethan left?

A touch on his cheek snapped Blake out of his thoughts. "You okay?"

The intense stare held none of Ethan's usual playfulness and Blake knew he had caused the change. "Yeah, sure."

"No you're not." Ethan slowly pulled his hand back. "You're worried about people finding out, aren't you?"

"I'd be lying if I said no." Blake's two mindsets skirmished inside his head. Only one of them could win in the end. Though he felt sure Ethan wouldn't leave, Blake also knew that if he failed to move forward, they'd never see each other again. Ethan might deny it, but it would destroy their chemistry if Ethan needed to hide himself or his personality. "But I know this is right. If I can't do it now, with you, I'll never be able to do it when the campus is full. It's just…"

He stared at his keys as if he could find the answer etched into the metal.

"Just what?"

Keeping his head down for a few seconds more, Blake wanted to be sure he had the right words. When he tore his gaze away from the desk, he turned and made eye contact with Ethan. He'd only get one try at this.

"I've thought about this for a year, ever since I got to Graydon and I saw how the team accepted Jason and Peter were a couple. I thought when I met someone I wanted to hang out with like…you know… boyfriends, I thought it would be easier.

Ethan put his hands around Blake's waist. "It's never easy, but you have friends to support you. That will help. As for everyone who can't accept you, do you really care what they think?"

"No, I guess not."

"Exactly. I'm proud of you for doing this, but make sure you're doing it because you want to. I'll still like you if you need to wait. Besides," Ethan winked at him, flashed the hundred watt smile that Blake found so disarming. "We're not going to carry signs announcing you're gay. That's tomorrow."

The anxiety didn't evaporate, but his determination managed to push it aside. If nothing else, Ethan would make his life interesting. "Sounds like a plan."

A little walk across an empty campus can't hurt anyone. Can it?
Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Uh oh ! - I didn't like the end question :( "A little walk across an empty campus can't hurt anyone. Can it?" And now I have to wait to find out ! I hope they have a wonderful date and nothing bad will happen to them :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Q, I'm really glad you decided to write these short excerpts from the lives of those we got to hear about and got a short glimpse of in 2nd Shot. In a way it is helping to give 2nd Shot even more depth and allowing us, or at least me, the feeling of being able to connect on a much deeper level with the story. Whether that was the intent or not I am not sure but regardless it is a result :) Thank-ya Sir.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like Blake's final thought " at least Ethan will make his life interesting". Yes his brother and Peter were accepted as a couple but it wasn't exactly an easy battle either. What's a walk across campus. Fight at least they are waiting til tomorrow to carry the signs right lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/09/2013 11:07 PM, Slytherin said:
Uh oh ! - I didn't like the end question :( "A little walk across an empty campus can't hurt anyone. Can it?" And now I have to wait to find out ! I hope they have a wonderful date and nothing bad will happen to them :)
Okay, so hopefully this won't be a deal killer for folks, but I don't really see me torturing either of these two - at least not in the near [3-4 month] period. To me, this is intended to be more of a feel good, meet and see the characters, see them grow into men. I don't plan [but I'm not saying in time I won't do any of these things]any major trama like beat downs, or getting disowned, or space aliens killing one or the other. There will be however, some of the normal angst and drama that comes with being young, out and - maybe - in love. So don't expect me to go all Nephylim on this story. I'm not half as good as her at it so I don't plan on trying. :-)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/09/2013 11:35 PM, CW Prince said:
Q, I'm really glad you decided to write these short excerpts from the lives of those we got to hear about and got a short glimpse of in 2nd Shot. In a way it is helping to give 2nd Shot even more depth and allowing us, or at least me, the feeling of being able to connect on a much deeper level with the story. Whether that was the intent or not I am not sure but regardless it is a result :) Thank-ya Sir.
CP - it was a part of the thought process to flesh out things. Sure J & P will be around and pop in from time to time, but we know quite a bit about them, so let's give some of the others their due. Glad you hung around and are liking this. I can tell you that for the foreseeable future, B & E are going to be the main focus. I might venture off into some romance for Darryl or Dean, but I can assure you I have no intention of doing any M/F sex scenes - I'd only butcher them with my complete lack of experience :P

 

-AQG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/10/2013 01:42 AM, Daithi said:
I like Blake's final thought " at least Ethan will make his life interesting". Yes his brother and Peter were accepted as a couple but it wasn't exactly an easy battle either. What's a walk across campus. Fight at least they are waiting til tomorrow to carry the signs right lol.
Daithi,

 

Blake is not Jason's brother - that's Dean - Blake is his friend, but your point is well made. It's never easy to tell people you're not entirely who they think you are. Some will not like you because you're 'not the person they thought'. Yes, Ethan will make life interesting, but the ancient Chinese curse is may you live in interesting times. But I promise not to torture them too much.

 

-AQG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/10/2013 01:08 PM, Daddydavek said:
I'm with Sly on this one!
What?!? O:

 

Come on, a bit of tension is necessary no? it'd be a short story if not.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love Ethan teasing Blake that they would carry their signs tomorrow. Lol. Conversation is a make or break issue in a relationship, and you are getting the guys off to a great start. Hope the walk across campus is just more conversation at this point, and not some homophobic crazy hurting the guys.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/28/2013 11:59 PM, joann414 said:
I love Ethan teasing Blake that they would carry their signs tomorrow. Lol. Conversation is a make or break issue in a relationship, and you are getting the guys off to a great start. Hope the walk across campus is just more conversation at this point, and not some homophobic crazy hurting the guys.
My thoughts with this are that Blake isn't exactly looking for a fuck buddy, so he's not exactly just in it for the sex. Ethan has trouble expressing himself seriously, so he uses jokes to try to avoid that - But maybe together they'll be good. right?
  • Like 1
Link to comment

"We're not going to carry signs announcing you're gay. That's tomorrow." -- FUNNY!

A little walk across an empty campus can't hurt anyone. Can it? -- REALLY?!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 1/19/2021 at 3:33 PM, BlueWindBoy said:

"We're not going to carry signs announcing you're gay. That's tomorrow." -- FUNNY!

A little walk across an empty campus can't hurt anyone. Can it? -- REALLY?!

Ya know. Sometimes we're not exactly all that rational before our brains fully develop. For some that can be until were 25 (or longer in my case I reckon.) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..