Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 15. Chapter 15

This is tied into the Trial of Jordan Colmar. Since this is contemporaneous with trial there is a bit of cross over.

"We won't get to you today, Peter." Mary Alberts said. "Why don't you all go home? You need to be back at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow."

Jason snuck a glance at Peter sitting to his right. He didn't need to speak for Jason to know he didn't like the news.

"Do you or Danny need to speak to the boys?" Raymond Henry asked.

Jason couldn't hold back a smirk. Only Pop could call Daniel Humber 'Danny' and get away with it. Well almost. The assistant D.A. raised an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Henry, are you referring to Mr. Humber?"

"Forgive me, Ms. Alberts." Raymond nodded, a twinkle in his eye. "Yes, I meant Daniel Humber. Danny and I have been friends for forty years. Old habits are hard to break."

"Um…." The young assistant D.A. must have suddenly realized who she was talking to. Jason didn't know all the particulars, but his grandfather made a significant donation to the county prosecutor's general fund to help pay for the trial efforts. "No sir, we…Mr. Humber and I won't need to see anyone until tomorrow. The best thing for Peter, and Jason since he might be testifying tomorrow as well, would be for them to go home, relax and go to bed early. We've prepped them as much as we can."

Peter nodded but kept silent. The tightness in his lips and the rigid posture spoke for him.

"Ms. Alberts, is it for sure we'll testify tomorrow?" Jason didn't want to miss three days in a row of practice. He also knew Peter wouldn't ask the question, even though he wanted to know.

"I can't say for sure, but I expect Peter's testimony will be over tomorrow." She shrugged and gave him a sympathetic smile. "I know this is difficult for you all, but I can't be more specific. Anticipating what a defense attorney will do is not an exact science. But given my knowledge of the case, yes I expect both of you will be finished tomorrow. "

"Will you give Martin our goodbyes, please?" Jason's father motioned toward the door after he spoke.

"Of course, Mr. Tellerman." She smiled at Jason and then Peter. "Relax guys, it will be over soon enough."

Jason heard Peter mumble something that sounded like, 'sure' but he never looked up from the floor.

* * *

Pushing the plastic shelf, Jason watched the DVD slide into the player. Peter's mood hadn't improved and they'd yet to talk about it, so he pushed paused and grabbed the remote.

"You were quiet during dinner." He rolled onto their bed next to where Peter lay, staring at the ceiling. Propping himself on a pair of pillows, he turned toward his boyfriend. "Wanna talk about it?"

First Peter tried to look over without turning his head. Then slowly he twisted left before a smile finally stretched his lips. "Talk about how quiet I was? Isn't that pointless?"

Smiling back, he put a hand on Peter's bare chest. "I was going with why you were quiet, not how quiet you were." Gently running his fingers over the fine hairs covering the tight muscles, Jason stopped when he realized they'd not get far in the conversation if he continued.

"It's just annoying." Peter shook his head and turned his attention back to the white ceiling.

"Since I know you don't mean having to eat with my family and yours, I'm going to guess you mean having to come back tomorrow."

"Of course." Grabbing Jason's hand, Peter brought the joined fingers to his lips. "I like having dinner with our families. It's always fun watching your grandfather and father jockey for the check. "

Jason laughed remembering his father's face. "I still don't know how Pop managed to get the bill paid before it was brought to the table."

"Yeah, that was impressive." When Peter rolled on his side, Jason saw the first hint that the foul mood was thawing. "But back to today, they could've let us go first and not make us come back. You especially."

"Yeah, I know, but my dad says Martin is an excellent attorney. I'm sure he had his reasons." Jason hoped so, because missing another day of practice better be worth it.

A soft sigh escaped Peter's lips. "I know. Mom and Erin said the same thing."

Coming back another day only felt like half the problem. "I'll be there for you."

"What…?" When their eyes met, Peter's face relaxed. "Oh yeah. I know that. It's just…."

"Just what?" He didn't need Pete to explain, but if it helped him feel better, Jason was ready to listen.

"I want it over so we can try to move on." Frustration quickly gave way to something else. "I hate having it linger over our lives."

"I know." Jason wanted the trial to end, but he wasn't confident it would truly bring closure. But it would be a start. "So movie, then sleep?"

"We can watch the movie." Peter propped up the pillows behind him and leaned back. "But I'm not promising we'll go right to sleep when it's over."

Jason's smile turned into a laugh when Peter raised his eyebrows suggestively. "Didn't the assistant D.A. tell us to get a good night's sleep?"

"Nope." Peter grabbed the remote from where it rested between them. Pointing it at the DVD player, he paused long enough to wink. "She said get to bed early. We've done that. What we do now that we're here is our business."

Jason didn't really want to watch the movie anyway. "Good point."

This is tied into the Trial of Jordan Colmar. Since this is contemporaneous with trial there is a bit of cross over.
Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

ok i read this chapter but for some reason it is double written, great chapter love the story line, hope the site or yourself can fix the mess up

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The chapter was so good you gave it to us twice eh?. ts hard enough to pysche yourself up to get thru something this painful but tl do it two days in a row. These guys have have a maturity beyond theirs years they will get thru this together.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/28/2013 08:38 AM, ShadowDancer said:
ok i read this chapter but for some reason it is double written, great chapter love the story line, hope the site or yourself can fix the mess up
I have NO idea how that happened, but it's been corrected. Thanks for the heads up. This story line has a lot of potential as it will lead through the trial and sentencing and those have some meat to work with. I'll probably spread them out a bit, but I'll get to them all.

 

Thans for reading and for pointing out the problem. -AQG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/28/2013 09:00 AM, Daithi said:
The chapter was so good you gave it to us twice eh?. ts hard enough to pysche yourself up to get thru something this painful but tl do it two days in a row. These guys have have a maturity beyond theirs years they will get thru this together.
I have no idea what I did, but it was clearly me not the site. I think we know they get through the trial okay, that's how that story ends, but it's how they got there I want to explore - although I do see some soccer tossed in - just saying. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

B) ..................Well Q-man, I got a bonus, since my PC was down awhile back, I didn't know that you posted chap. 14, so surprise that I got 14 &15. I think this gave me an insight & understanding why Jason and Peter broke up for awhile, the guilt here is tremendous. I suppose going back to court will help resolve this issue. Thanks for the chapters!

Benji

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/29/2013 04:44 AM, Benji said:
B) ..................Well Q-man, I got a bonus, since my PC was down awhile back, I didn't know that you posted chap. 14, so surprise that I got 14 &15. I think this gave me an insight & understanding why Jason and Peter broke up for awhile, the guilt here is tremendous. I suppose going back to court will help resolve this issue. Thanks for the chapters!

Benji

Benji - I'm not sure I ever thought of Jason's guilt as contributing, but I suspect he walked on egg shells far too long with Peter and that contributed to the break up in some way. Going back to court will give them a bit of closure, but I don't know that you ever totally put that behind you. Since we all know what happens in the trial and how it ends, I think that in some ways it really helped to know that particular person is gone for good. [for purposes of the story we can assume Jordan will lose all his appeals :P ] Glad to hear you're PC is back and running.

 

Q

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The more I read this, the more I want to re-read Second Shot. I can remember Peter and Jason's first meeting like it was yesterday. Now, with the trial coming about, it makes me want to refresh my mind even more.

Peter and Jason have come so far.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2013 01:35 AM, joann414 said:
The more I read this, the more I want to re-read Second Shot. I can remember Peter and Jason's first meeting like it was yesterday. Now, with the trial coming about, it makes me want to refresh my mind even more.

Peter and Jason have come so far.

This story has taken on a life of it's own, I almost said too bad I never wrote it to publish it, but on second thought I'm glad it is where it is. It helped me in many many ways.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..