Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 18. Chapter 18

I seem to forget to post these - hopefully this week I'll post two.

Blake stopped outside the restaurant door, heart racing. He didn't know how long they stood there, but it had been long enough for the late August humidity to make him start to sweat.

"We don't have to do this." Ethan's voice reminded Blake he didn't come alone. "At least not today."

"No." Compared to what Jason and Peter did to keep their relationship a secret at first, he and Ethan had it easy. And it still sucked. "It's time. Enough know already that even if I don't say anything, most will find out sooner or later. At least this way, we can do more things. No more hiding."

"Not that I mind the things we do when hiding, but I understand.” Ethan slipped his hand into Blake's. Wiggling a bit he entwined their fingers and squeezed. When Blake felt him start to pull back he tightened his grip. "I'm proud of you, Blake. I've been out long enough that sometimes it's hard to remember how it felt when I did it."

"Shall we?" He nodded toward the door.

"Like this?" Ethan sounded mildly amused.

"Yeah, why not?" He hadn't really figured out how he would tell everyone, but this seemed perfect. "I wasn't sure I could make a speech, but holding hands will do all the talking necessary."

The smirk turned into a smile – the wide, take up the whole face and make Ethan's eyes crinkle – kind that made Blake's heart beat just a tiny bit faster. "It's got a certain style. And you know how I abhor common things."

Ethan waggled his eyebrows, making Blake laugh. His angst ebbed just enough for him to feel like he could move his feet again. "Thanks."

He knew without Ethan, he'd chicken out. But together, he felt bolder, stronger, and more confident to face the issue. That Ethan took a day off work to come a day early only fueled his resolve. For them to be equals, Blake needed to have the same level of commitment to Ethan. And that meant not asking him to hide who he was anymore.

Exhaling loudly, he never took his gaze off the wooden door. "Okay. Let's go in before dinner is over."

His sweaty hand nearly slid off the handle, but Blake managed to get the door open. The smell of 'bar food' hit his nose, making his stomach do flips. Anything he ate right now had the risk of coming right back up and the aroma of burgers and fries didn't help.

Voices, laughter and the thump of bass from the sound system filled the small spaces as they entered the restaurant. The hostess, an older woman with her blonde hair pulled back in a bun, chewed her gum loudly as she eyed them up and down.

"Table for two?"

"Um…no, we're with a group." Blake resisted with everything he had releasing Ethan's hand when she focused her eyes on their joined hands. "The soccer team?"

"Back that way and to the left." She nodded down the dark paneled hall toward an open door where most of the noise seemed to come from.

"Thanks."

Blake heard Ethan's voice, but didn't say anything.

"I can do this." He whispered, silently repeating it with every step. Ethan tightened his grip around Blake's fingers. "Breathe."

He forced a smile he didn't quite feel. "Right."

Crossing the threshold, Blake felt his body tingle. He almost checked to see if they'd crossed some kind of field you only saw on Star Trek, but he knew it was his imagination. His eyes scanned the room for Darryl and Jason, trying not to look at his other teammates.

At first everyone ignored him and Ethan, too wrapped up in whatever they were doing. But as soon as the first set of eyes looked their way, heads started to turn. Later when he'd had time to reflect, he'd remember the shocked expressions on a few faces, a couple smiles, but no angry glares. Not that he'd been looking for trouble, but he figured it best to know the room.

Ethan tugged him gently forward. "They're down there."

Jason smiled then turned to Peter – Peter? He never came to team dinners. Dean stood up, blocking Blake's view of his captain.

"Why am I not surprised?" Dean smirked, his eyes moving from their hands to Ethan.

"Whoa there, little D. This–" he raised their hands slightly, "–was Blake's idea."

Dean squinted and glared at Ethan for a second, then turned to Blake. "Mind if I thump your boyfriend?"

Boyfriend? He and Ethan had never talked about their status like that. But it felt like the right word. "Um, no, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't, Dean."

"Fine." He shrugged, a lock of blond hair sweeping down across his forehead. "But if he calls me that again, I can't promise I won't."

Blake let out a nervous laugh. "I'll make sure he plays nice."

When they moved toward a pair of vacant seats, Jason shook his head. Before he could speak Ethan waved his hand at their friend. "Don't you start too. This was his idea. Said it was better than a speech."

Blake finally let go of Ethan's hand and despite his whole body shaking, he managed to sit down without breaking anything. "I heard someone else called a team meeting to come out. Since that'd been done, I figured I'd try something new."

"Thank God. Fewer speeches." Dean said. He reached across the table for a plate of wings, but Eric snatched it back at the last second.

"No way, Tellermooch You ate yours." Eric grabbed one and took a big bite. "Get your big bro to buy you some more, little D."

The table laughed as Dean sat back and folded his arms on his chest.

Blake ignored the laughter and comments, scanning the tables for his teammates' reactions. Most ignored him, having returned to their conversation. A couple of freshman stole glances his way as they talked and everyone else seemed caught up in Dean and Eric's antics.

Blake started to relax when a hand landed on his shoulder.

"So." Matt's deep voice drew all eyes in Blake's direction. "What have we here."

So yeah a bit of a cliff, but what the heck, we all need a cliff or two in our lives, right?
Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

B) ...........Hey Q-man,

Well, looks like I got another 2 fer chapter!! I think everything went well for Blake, and with Ethan at his side. Dinner looked like it was going to be comfortable, then Matt showed up!! LOL! Great 2 chapters, look forward to more.

Benji

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Yeah, but I feel like this is a "we are ok" cliffhanger. I am enjoying this so much Andy. thanx

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2013 09:16 AM, Benji said:
B) ...........Hey Q-man,

Well, looks like I got another 2 fer chapter!! I think everything went well for Blake, and with Ethan at his side. Dinner looked like it was going to be comfortable, then Matt showed up!! LOL! Great 2 chapters, look forward to more.

Benji

Next chapter will be up by week's end I hope so watch for it. As for Ethan and Blake, I still think there is going to be a bit of an adjustment period even if things go 'well' But that's how it should be right?
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/30/2013 11:08 AM, joann414 said:
Yeah, but I feel like this is a "we are ok" cliffhanger. I am enjoying this so much Andy. thanx
I'd not want to give away too much, but folks already know what's up with Matt it should be fine unless someone does or says something silly. Not that any of the 'boys' would do that right? :rolleyes:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Definitely enjoying the Book Two approach. Not a request but a suggestion (yes, I pay attention). Third POV using Dean? His dealing with the freshmen, drinking beer issue, future team leadership development, dating, maybe a homophobic girl, little D nickname since there's already a Big D :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I loved so much about this little bit. Ethan's support of Blake and also the simplicity of a little hand holding. Of course Blake wants acceptance but if they don't like it they don't have to live it, or even acknowledge it. In my opinion, Blake just gave them a gift, a look at who he Is. I have faith that his team wont let him down...perfect. ~dani

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/01/2013 07:29 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Definitely enjoying the Book Two approach. Not a request but a suggestion (yes, I pay attention). Third POV using Dean? His dealing with the freshmen, drinking beer issue, future team leadership development, dating, maybe a homophobic girl, little D nickname since there's already a Big D :D
Carlos

 

Tha made me laugh. No one pays attention to me when I do that. :lol: you so made my day. For that I'll tell you that Dean is next on the list. I had some of the same ideas but one you suggested I really like :yes: but I'll let you know after I post it.

 

I've got one or two scenes left with these two then ill tackle Dean. I might - might - venture into first person for him, just for practice - but not sure.

 

Thanks again. I really appreciate the feedback.

 

-AQG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/03/2013 10:12 AM, thejoedani4 said:
I loved so much about this little bit. Ethan's support of Blake and also the simplicity of a little hand holding. Of course Blake wants acceptance but if they don't like it they don't have to live it, or even acknowledge it. In my opinion, Blake just gave them a gift, a look at who he Is. I have faith that his team wont let him down...perfect. ~dani
Blake's one of my favorite sub characters maybe second only to Ethan. Maybe my next book should be these two from Ethan's POV. Have to see. But I think what you have is the vocal elements -Matt, Darryl, Jason and and a few others - are clearly fine with it, but everyone on the team? I don't think that's realistic. Will they say much? IDK, we've not gotten there yet lol

 

Thanks for reading. New chapter today I hope.

 

-AQG

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/17/2013 10:07 PM, trishmarsh68 said:
Love this series!!! Please write more :)
I promise - in fact a new chapter is up today :)

 

Thank you for the note. I love notes :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/20/2013 04:43 PM, Daithi said:
Matt can't resist making the poor guy squirm eh?
It's part of our male DNA - even if we're trying to be sensitive we can't totally shed our guyness. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..