Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 17. Chapter 17

My apologies, I meant to post this Wednesday or Thursday, but things kinda got in the way.

Watching his finger slowly move off the doorbell, Blake wondered if he should have called before coming over. Problem was, he knew if he had to call first, he'd probably not follow through. No, he told himself. He needed to do it, and no time would ever be right.

Peter opened the inner door and his eyes flicked wide. He opened the screen door and stepped back. "Blake."

"Hey Pete. Is Jason here?" He wondered what Peter thought of all the time he spent alone with Jason. Probably nothing, he decided. Jason would sooner cut off his leg than cheat on Peter. It seemed the one constant since he got to school; Jason loved Peter in a way Blake hoped to feel about someone someday.

"Yeah, we're just finishing dinner."

Blake shook his hand and stepped back. "I'm sorry, I should have called first. I'll come back."

"No, it's cool." Peter opened the door wider. "We're almost done. Well all but Darryl and Dean bitching."

Blake had started to move back toward the door and stopped. Maybe it wasn't a good time after all. "Huh?"

"The proverbial cupboard was bare, so they left me to go buy dinner." Peter shrugged then waved Blake in. "Let's just say they didn't appreciate eating healthy."

With a quirk to his lips, Blake stepped over the threshold. "Vegetarian?"

His question drew a quizzical look from his host. "How'd you guess?"

"Dean mentioned something about you trying to kill him with healthy food." Laughing, he remembered that first day of practice. "He said you bought vegetarian food and he had to go out for a burger before he starved to death."

Peter's amusement turned into a frown. "Figures. He's making plans to make a 'chow run,' as he called it, in a bit so there's plenty left."

"Um…" The idea of eating right now made his already churning stomach start doing flips. "Thanks, but right now my stomach isn't doing so well."

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just…just have some things on my mind. That's kinda why I came over to speak to Jase."

The look of concern faded with a glint of understanding. "Ah." Peter turned and led the way.

The voices from the kitchen turned into laughter just as they arrived. Dean looked like he'd swallowed a bug as he reached for his glass.

"Ut ut ut." Darryl stopped Dean from grabbing his water. "The bet was you'd eat it all without any help. Drinking is definitely outside help."

With a pained expression, Dean turned toward his older brother. Jason shook his head.

"Sorry, little bro, Darryl's right." Jason's grin almost matched Darryl's in size. "You can't wash it down with water."

"What now?" Peter asked as he took the seat next to Jason.

Without looking up, Jason slid his hand onto Peter's leg. "Dean bet Darryl he could eat the rest of his dinner without any help."

Watching Peter cover the hand with his made Blake more than a bit jealous for the easy 'coupleness,' as he called it, that they shared.

"And what did they bet?" Peter used his free hand to pick up his glass.

Before answering, Jason freed his hand and stood. "Blake, you want something to eat?"

"I asked already, he's not hungry." Peter looked from Jason to Blake. Jason's eye opened just a bit wider as if he picked up on a hidden meaning.

"Oh. Did you want something to drink?"

"Ha!" Dean pointed to Peter. "See, I'm not the only one who thinks rabbit food isn't meant for human consumption."

"Um…" Jason's eyes darted toward Blake for an instant before settling back on his brother. "I don't think that's the issue."

Dean stabbed a piece of what looked like tofu and turned his gaze on Blake. "Sure it is."

Blake froze. What he did next would decide a host of things, not the least of which could be his friendship with Dean and Darryl. But he'd come for a purpose and backing down now wouldn't help. "Sorry, Dean, I actually like vegetarian food – well most of it, anyway."

"Oh." Dean stared at the food on his fork before he reluctantly pushed it in his mouth.

"So what's up?" Darryl pushed his chair back and shifted his attention from Dean to Blake.

His resolve started to fail as he stared at his co-captain. Telling Jason his plan seemed easier, but the others would find out soon enough. "I wanted some advice on how to handle something with the team."

Jason's face gave away nothing as he pushed his plate a bit further away. "Did you want to talk to all of us?"

"No…I mean, I didn't plan to, but it's fine." If he couldn't talk to these four, how could he address the team?

"Does this have anything to do with Ethan?" Dean's question drew surprised looks from the other three housemates. Noting the silence, Dean scanned their faces. "What? Like I don't know what's up? I mean they were in the room next to me and I wasn't so drunk that I couldn't hear."

It felt like a fire exploded on his face, but Blake nodded. "Um…yeah, Dean it does, sorta."

"Cool. Ethan's a good guy."

"If it means anything," Darryl said, drawing everyone's attention to him. "I figured it out too, but not because I heard anything from the guest room. You know it's not a big deal right?"

"Well it kinda is." He didn't know how much to say about Matt, not that it had been a problem since the day they nearly came to blows.

"You mean Matt?" Jason asked.

"Kinda, yeah."

"Has there been a problem since Monday?" The concern in Jason's voice had Blake shaking his head.

"No, but that doesn't mean he's fine all of the sudden."

"Actually," Jason suddenly looked embarrassed. "With the trial and everything I totally forgot to tell you that he and I talked."

Although he assumed they had, hearing it from Jason still surprised Blake. "And?"

"Let's just say if you're planning to come out to the team, he won't be a problem."

To be Continued. :P
Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Your chapters are way to short. You also have this niggling little bad habit of just getting to the meat of the issue then adding those dreaded three words.....to be continued...and the :) doesn't always soothe away that fact lmao

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I am totally in agreement with Daithi! I am excited to hear more about Blake and Ethan. Hopefully, Daryl and Dean along with Jason can soothe Blake enough for him to take the step in telling the rest of the team. That would surely allow him to breathe a little easier. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/22/2013 03:59 PM, Daithi said:
Your chapters are way to short. You also have this niggling little bad habit of just getting to the meat of the issue then adding those dreaded three words.....to be continued...and the :) doesn't always soothe away that fact lmao
Daithi - believe it or not my chapters are actually almost always too long. There is a 1000 word limit on the 'flash fiction." these are basically just snippets of the boys lives that are told in a flash fiction format - 500-1000. I'm almost always a 50-100 words over.

 

And even if I do stop like that - I always close up the loop holes. :P

 

Honestly - I want to be able to write more of this, but I have SO much going on even this is a struggle some weeks. So I apologize about the length. I suppose I could just post a few weeks on my web site then combine them into a chapter for GA if folks think that'd be better. The down side is it would be 2-3 weeks between chapters.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/23/2013 12:49 AM, thejoedani4 said:
I am totally in agreement with Daithi! I am excited to hear more about Blake and Ethan. Hopefully, Daryl and Dean along with Jason can soothe Blake enough for him to take the step in telling the rest of the team. That would surely allow him to breathe a little easier. ;)
I think I'll do you a bit more than that with the next chapter - though I don't promise to not leave you all hanging again. I hear I can run for King of Cliffs this year so I figured what the heck. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment
:P yourself. That was short and sweet, but to the point. Hopefully, things with Matt and Blake are fixing to get back on track. All caught up now :,(:read:
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/29/2013 01:46 AM, joann414 said:
:P yourself. That was short and sweet, but to the point. Hopefully, things with Matt and Blake are fixing to get back on track. All caught up now :,(:read:
All caught up, but I just posted a new chapter so a tiny reprieve until next week.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..