Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 19. Chapter 19

Sorry been a bit pressed and keep forgetting to post the chapter here. I'll post 19 today and 20 on Thursday.

Blake's body tensed and he could feel Ethan's hand reach for his. He put his left hand on the table and twisted to face his tormentor. His face scrunched up when he noticed Matt staring at Ethan.

"You finally got him to be himself?" Matt smiled at Ethan who quickly turned toward Blake.

"I…Blake…I don't know what he means. I haven't talked to him since before you and I met."

"Easy there, Ethan." Matt stepped back and scanned the table. "I figured it out when I saw you two last week. Getting him to bring you here just made it official."

"I didn't make him do anything." Ethan pushed his chair back and let go of Blake's hand. "He asked me to come with him."

The smirk on Matt's face slowly faded. "Okay, fine. I was just saying I'm glad he finally decided to be…."

"Who cares what you think?" Despite being at least four inches shorter and a good forty pounds lighter, Ethan stood up and got in Matt's face. "You almost broke his ankle because you didn't like how he lived his life? How did that have any thing to do with you?"

"Look…."

"No, you look. You don't get to make a joke and suddenly it's all better. You were a major dick. You have no idea how hard any of this is, and yet you think Blake has to live up to your fucked up standards." Ethan swallowed loudly, but before Matt could speak, he continued. "He should have reported you and had you tossed from school, but he's better than you. But don't think because he didn't turn you in you can just say, 'shake' and everything's fine…."

"Yes, he can." Blake grabbed Ethan's hand and pulled him gently to the seat. The look on Ethan's face wavered from shocked to annoyed and back.

"Blake. He's…."

"My teammate and my friend." Pulling Ethan's fingers to his lips, he felt his heart beating so hard he thought it might burst. Ignoring everyone else in the room, he lightly kissed the fingers and let them go. "But I appreciate the help."

When Blake stood up, Matt's swagger had disappeared. "Look, Blake. Ethan's right in a way; trying to hurt you like that was a dickish move. I'm really sorry about that." With a sheepish look, Matt held out his hand.

Blake ignored the peace offering. "Until you did that, I thought we were friends."

"We were…are friends, Blake."

"Maybe, but if you ever do that to me again, I swear, someone's gonna need to pry me off of you or haul me away on a stretcher 'cause I'm not taking that shit from you or anyone. Understood?"

He hadn't meant to sound so angry, but remembering the incident set him off again.

"Yeah. I gotcha, but no worries, it won't happen again." Matt pulled his hand back and shrugged. "I know it's not an excuse, but at that practice after I saw you two together, all I could see was when you called Jason a fag at the start of last season. It irritated the shit out of me when you said it, but finding out you're gay too? That made me mad."

"Yeah, well." At first, Blake avoided looking at Jason, but then stole a quick glance at his friend. "I'm not exactly proud of that moment either. So I guess if you can forget that, I can forget what happened between us."

Matt's lip twisted into a smirk. "Can do."

"Cool." Blake offered his hand, which Matt accepted. "So we're good?"

"We're good." Matt nodded to his left. "You two enjoy yourselves."

His heart still racing, Blake watched Matt amble back to his seat. No one said anything, which made him more uncomfortable. Self-conscious that everyone was staring at him, he wished he had Ethan's gift for knowing the right joke to tell.

"Well," Ethan's voice seemed to echo around in the silence. "Now that you two have made up, can we get something to eat? Dean looks ready to eat someone's arm."

Nervous laughter filled the space, almost drowning out Dean's whine. "How come I'm always the butt of everyone's jokes?"

"You're a freshman, Little Tellerman." Eric said, rubbing Dean's blond hair. "Someone has to be the team butt."

"Whatever." Dean shifted his eyes from Eric to Ethan. Before he could say anything, Blake pushed Ethan into his seat.

"Don't worry, Dean. I'll keep him on a short leash for the rest of dinner."

"Leash?" Ethan's fake surprise told Blake he'd started trouble for himself. "I didn't see any leashes in your room. Have you been holding out on me?"

As Blake's face turned red hot, the room erupted around him. Between the laughter and the comments, he knew the team would probably tease him about it for the rest of the season. For once his semi-shy nature served him well and he didn't tell Ethan he'd pay for what he said.

Instead he shook his head and rolled his eyes. Before he could speak, Ethan leaned closer. "Sorry, but I figured I owed Dean."

"It's cool." He winked and when Ethan's lips inched upward, Blake knew his message had been received.

"Okay." Darryl's voice broke into the commotion. "Now that we've had the family drama and they've made up, can we order dinner now. Please?"

When his teammates turned their attention to Darryl, Blake mouthed, "Thank you." Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes. He expected the team would accept him; what happened next concerned him more. Before he went too far down that path, he felt a hand on his knee.

Opening his eyes, he found Ethan starting at him. "You're welcome," he whispered and gave Blake's knee a quick squeeze before he pulled his hand back.

For the rest of the night at least, Blake decided to do his best not to worry. Especially since Ethan owed him and he knew just how he intended to collect.

Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ethan reminds of a Banty Rooster, the way Ethan got right up into Matt's face was awesome. And of course matt was batting a thousand cause as soon as Ethan was done with him he ended up saying something that brought Blake down on his head. He was pretty much dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't. Was kinda funny actually.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I find your writing so refreshing Andy. It's so easy to relax into it, and just go with the flow. The boys are the perfect example of young men their age, and their personalities. Biggest, toughest, mouthiest, and mediators. Love how they interact!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/20/2013 04:54 PM, Daithi said:
Ethan reminds of a Banty Rooster, the way Ethan got right up into Matt's face was awesome. And of course matt was batting a thousand cause as soon as Ethan was done with him he ended up saying something that brought Blake down on his head. He was pretty much dammed if he did and dammed if he didn't. Was kinda funny actually.
I think Ethan may be my favorite non-main character. I suspect he really needs his own book. I wish I had no day job and I'd crank out about 10 books before the year is out. But the evil day job just keeps asking me to do work for my pay check. Sigh. :P

 

Glad you liked it, I'm trying for a bit less serious and a bit more - this is their lives, sometimes it's interesting but not necessary earth shaking. So hopefully folks enjoy

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 08/21/2013 05:17 AM, joann414 said:
I find your writing so refreshing Andy. It's so easy to relax into it, and just go with the flow. The boys are the perfect example of young men their age, and their personalities. Biggest, toughest, mouthiest, and mediators. Love how they interact!
Thanks JoAnn, I'm trying to keep them age appropriate. It helps that I'm not quite age appropriate so I can relate to their ages still- a bit at least. :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..