Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 25. Chapter 25

This is the 2nd to last 'chapter' I've written for this title for the time being. I'm working on a few things, but I might get back to this sooner than later. It's been a while so I'm feeling the itch.

Dean raised his arms, reaching for the sky. His shirt rode up, allowing the warm breeze to tickle the fine blond hairs just above his waistband. Keeping them raised, he extended the stretch, hoping to loosen his back muscles. The tumble he took at practice still left him sore.

He'd stayed up half the night writing, then deleting texts to Hanna, trying to find a good way to raise the issue. Finally he copped out and asked her to meet him after practice.

"Nice abs, Dean. Showing off for the entire campus to see?"

The first time he'd heard Hanna speak to him, Dean felt his stomach flip. Today it did it again, but for a different reason.

"Nah, just trying to work out a kink." Dean lowered his arms and smoothed his shirt. "Me and Corey got tangled up and he landed on my back with his pointy elbows."

"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow playfully and flashed him the smile that first attracted Dean to her. "How do I get 'tangled up' with you?"

Her light brown hair fluttered softly in the breeze and she reached up to brush back a strand that fell over her face. The blatant attempt to get them horizontal was not lost on him as he felt his groin respond impulsively. Everything that drew him to her was on full display from her athletic figure to her pretty face.

Fighting the impulse to tell her to come back to his place, he put his hands in his pockets and adjusted himself. Hanna didn't miss the maneuver.

"You know what I want, Dean. Let's go back to your house." She reached for his arm, but he stepped back before she could grab it.

"Um…we can't right now." He watched her face flash from shock to anger and then to something he couldn't pin down.

"Why not? I thought you had your own room?" She moved closer and ran her hand down his arm. "Don't you want to….?"

For the first time since they'd met, her confidence seemed shaken. Hanna had spoken to him first, suggested they go on a date, and hinted he should take her home after dinner. Today she took that suggestion a bit further.

"Why…why don't we go for a walk." He motioned toward the broad expanse of grass near the front entrance then started walking without waiting for an answer. In a few steps Hanna had caught up, and he could see her confusion had returned.

"Dean, what's wrong? You're acting totally weird. I thought you asked me out today so we could do something."

"I did…do. I…" He shook his head and looked down. "Can we just go somewhere and talk?"

"Talk?"

He suppressed the urge to say something sarcastic and shrugged. "Yeah. I need to talk about something that happened last night."

"Last night?" She stopped walking and looked serious. "What about la…did you drop me off and then go see LeAnn?"

Dean blinked. How did Hanna know he'd been torn between her and LeAnn? "No, I went home and went to bed, just like I said."

"So what's there to talk about? I thought we had a good time?" She held up her hands then reached for his again. "We did, didn't we?"

"Yeah, we did…I mean I did." He took a deep breath and added. "Until Blake and Ethan showed up."

"Right." She nodded. "Seeing them holding hands like that must have been upsetting."

"Um…no, that's all good." Dean had been avoiding eye contact, but now he met her gaze. "My brother and his boyfriend do that all the time."

"Oh…." The look of surprise quickly turned to confusion. "Well it's not like you live with him."

"I do." Darryl's advice seemed spot on. "I live with Jason and Peter.

"And?"

"And…you don't see the problem?"

"No." Hanna shook her head. "What did I say?"

"You said it must suck having a gay teammate."

"Yeah, but living with your brother isn't the same as being in the locker room with him."

Did she really not know? "He's the team captain."

"Oh." She stared at him, chewing on her bottom lip. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? That Jason's gay?" Dean looked around and fortunately no one was nearby. "Are you serious?"

"No!" Hanna shook her head, her eyes wide. "I mean, I'm sorry about what I said last night. I really didn't mean anything by that comment. I just thought… you know, that jocks…well they don't like gay guys in the locker room."

Dean heard Darryl's warning about Jordan as he searched Hanna's face for some sign of deception. He barely knew her, so she could be lying to him. On the other hand, just because Jordan was a lying sack of shit didn't mean Hanna was too.

"Not everyone is like that." He tried not to keep his voice calm.

"I know and I shouldn't have said that. I've got nothing against gay people."

He heard a hint of sincerity in her voice, but he couldn't shake the part that told him to remember what Darryl had said. "It's all good."

"Hey." Hanna took his hand in hers. Flashing her 100-watt smile, she said. "Let's go get some ice cream. My treat. Then we can start this conversation over."

Dean laughed but didn't pull his hand away. Just the touch sent a jolt through his body. "You think you get a Mulligan for this?"

She stopped rubbing the top of his hand with her thumb. "Mulligan?"

"It's an unofficial rule in golf that let's you re-take a shot when the first one sucked." Her blank expression told him enough. "Never mind, it was lame."

"Um, okay." Hanna shrugged and starting moving her fingers over his hand again. "So you wanna get some ice cream?"

He heard himself say, "yes" even as he told himself to turn her down. As they started to walk, he decided there was no harm in just getting ice cream.

Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 02/12/2014 12:02 PM, Hermetically Sealed said:
Seems like her excuse could be legit, but something tells me Hanna isn't being as honest as she wants to appear.
I think that's probably best. Darryl is a wise man - Dean would do well to pay heed to his words :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thank you Andrew for posting again, why stop something you are really good at. I love the story and the cast, and hope to hear from Peter and Jason soon. Also, I like how you deal with Dean and Darryl - but Hanna better behave!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/14/2014 07:56 AM, kkdc said:
Thank you Andrew for posting again, why stop something you are really good at. I love the story and the cast, and hope to hear from Peter and Jason soon. Also, I like how you deal with Dean and Darryl - but Hanna better behave!!!
Haha behave? Please. Dean's going to need to learn the hard way I think. :-)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/14/2014 07:56 AM, kkdc said:
Thank you Andrew for posting again, why stop something you are really good at. I love the story and the cast, and hope to hear from Peter and Jason soon. Also, I like how you deal with Dean and Darryl - but Hanna better behave!!!
Haha behave? Please. Dean's going to need to learn the hard way I think. :-)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/14/2014 07:56 AM, kkdc said:
Thank you Andrew for posting again, why stop something you are really good at. I love the story and the cast, and hope to hear from Peter and Jason soon. Also, I like how you deal with Dean and Darryl - but Hanna better behave!!!
Haha behave? Please. Dean's going to need to learn the hard way I think. :-)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
B) ....... Hey Q-man, here I give an honest assessment of the last chapter, before reading the next one and what do you do? You screw with my theory :P But I still don't trust Hanna, she seems more interested into getting into Dean's pants and may have realized that she crossed a line with him. Dean giving her a mulligan while still thinking with 'little Dean' for his brain power, :P he hasn't forgotten his chat with Darryl and that is good. I guess what 'evil' plans you have for the young sex-starved couple!!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/14/2014 03:11 PM, Benji said:
B) ....... Hey Q-man, here I give an honest assessment of the last chapter, before reading the next one and what do you do? You screw with my theory :P But I still don't trust Hanna, she seems more interested into getting into Dean's pants and may have realized that she crossed a line with him. Dean giving her a mulligan while still thinking with 'little Dean' for his brain power, :P he hasn't forgotten his chat with Darryl and that is good. I guess what 'evil' plans you have for the young sex-starved couple!!
B-man - well Dean I don't think is as aware of his 'status' as others. His grandfather is the university's biggest benefactor. And while he's not always mindful, others - not naming names - might be a bit more aware of it. Just say. LOL
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I've just finished reading Second Shot and Second Shot Senior year. What a phenomenal work! I appreciated that you didn't use the trite sex scenes in Second Shot, only getting graphic when the sex was not an expression of love but of control and anger. Your talent needs to continue...I look forward to the development of this story. Thank you for sharing that talent with your readers! I, for one, am most grateful.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Might I say if Dean had opened his mouth last night at dinner he probably would have gotten laid. That is, of course, if Hanna was being sincere. Unfortunately, with some girls you just never know until it's too late. At least Dean redeemed himself. I do hope that he doesn't forget Darryl's advice and also remembers Hanna's initial reaction to Blake and Ethan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/16/2014 03:29 PM, pvtguy said:
I've just finished reading Second Shot and Second Shot Senior year. What a phenomenal work! I appreciated that you didn't use the trite sex scenes in Second Shot, only getting graphic when the sex was not an expression of love but of control and anger. Your talent needs to continue...I look forward to the development of this story. Thank you for sharing that talent with your readers! I, for one, am most grateful.
Thanks - I had a variety of reason for keeping the sex down and I'm pleased you saw there was a purpose to it when I finally got around to it. I'd like to think I can write it if I wanted to, but honestly, I find as a reader that if you get me to the bed, I've got a pretty good imagination and I can figure out what they did and be happier than reader someone else's version of it lol.

 

Thanks for the note, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have so much more i want to do with it, but time is always my issue of late.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/19/2014 04:47 AM, thejoedani4 said:
Might I say if Dean had opened his mouth last night at dinner he probably would have gotten laid. That is, of course, if Hanna was being sincere. Unfortunately, with some girls you just never know until it's too late. At least Dean redeemed himself. I do hope that he doesn't forget Darryl's advice and also remembers Hanna's initial reaction to Blake and Ethan.
Dean is one of those younger brothers who is smarter than their older sibling, but not nearly as wise. Mainly because the older sibling has been there to keep them out of trouble - until they're not (Not that I'd know anything about being a younger sibling whose older sister kept him out of trouble, but when she went away to college I got in trouble - nope not me 0:) )

 

Dean is now going to need to learn things on his own, like it or not, whether Jason likes it or not either. So when I pick this up soon, I'll see where it goes.

 

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Danilo Syrtis said:

yes i don’t think Hanna is honest neither. Dean is still too young to be able to see behind her talking

Yep, totally there with you on this one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

"I've got nothing against gay people."

Just another version of "I'm not a racist." [but . . . .]

"I've got nothing against gay people." I just don't want them in my life. I don't want them holding hands in front of me. . . . .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..