Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flash Fiction - Second Shot - The Senior Year - 4. Chapter 4

This ties up a loose end from this arc. Not sure what I'll do next week . . .yet.

Jason grabbed the cutting board and took the zucchini from Peter. "How do you want them cut?"

"In half and then in quarters."

Searching for a knife, Jason heard his brother's heavy footsteps.

"Hey Pete, Bro. What's going on?"

Dean sounded as tired as he looked to Jason. "I'm trying to help Pete make dinner."

Peter nudged Jason. "Actually, you've gotten much better at this since we met. I'll make a cook out of you yet."

"Please do." Dean shook his head and opened the refrigerator. "I've had to eat his cooking when we were younger. I'm lucky I survived."

When his brother stood back with a beer, Jason put the knife down. "What are you doing?"

"Getting a drink." Dean twisted the top off and showed them the bottle. "Did you want one? There's four left."

"Dean," Struggling to keep calm, Jason turned to Peter who nodded slightly. "Put it down."

The confused look on Dean's face told Jason all he needed to know. "What?"

"That's a beer and you're only eighteen."

"No shit on both counts. Who are you? Dad?" Tilting the bottle back, Dean took a long pull on the bottle.

Resisting the urge to snatch the bottle away, Jason grabbed the edge of the counter. "Dean, I'm serious. Put the beer down."

"What the fuck? It's a beer and I'm in the house."

Darryl appeared in the doorway, his lips pinched tight. He locked eyes with Jason and shook his head. "What do you think your doing, Dean?'

"Whoa, what the hell is this? I can't have a beer in my own house?"

"No!" Darryl and Jason spoke together.

"Coach has a zero tolerance for underage drinking. " Jason's stomach twisted as he could see where the conversation was headed. "You weren't supposed to drink last night and you did."

"Holy shit, when did you turn into an old fucking man?"

"Dean this isn't a joke. I didn't ask you to live with us to make it easier for you to drink."

"It's one beer." Dean gripped the bottle tighter. "I'm not getting drunk."

"Right." Jason leaned against the counter, arms crossed at his chest. "Just like at Easter when we were kids and you were only going to take 'one bite.' Next thing the chocolate bunny was gone and you had a stomach ache."

"Whatever. This is different." Dean looked like he wanted to go, but Darryl still blocked the doorway.

"We talked about this before the party. " Darryl said. "You agreed you wouldn't drink, remember?"

"What is the big fucking deal?" He slammed the bottle on the counter hard enough to slosh beer everywhere.

Darryl stood his ground when Dean tried to leave. "Listen up, Dean. You're part of the team now. Today, next week, next month, whatever, you get caught drinking; you're off the team – period. Coach won't care that you're Jase's little bro or Raymond Henry's grandkid. If you can't live without a drink, then quit now."

"What's up your ass?" Dean glared at Darryl, clenching and unclenching his hands.

Jason moved between the two. "Dean, calm down. The reason is if you get kicked off mid-season you affect the whole team. I don't get why this is such a big deal. You knew before you moved in we weren't going to let you drink."

"Fuck off all of you." Dean pushed his way passed Darryl who started to follow.

"No, D." Jason held his best friend back. "I got this."

"You sure?"

"Yeah." He nodded. His brother, his responsibility.

Resisting the urge to look to Peter, Jason followed his brother upstairs. Dean's door slammed before Jason got there. He knocked twice.

"Dean, let me in."

"Go away, Jase, I'm not in the mood."

"Tough shit, little bro, we're talking now or I'm calling dad and telling him you're not working out."

He didn't want to, but he would. This needed to end now. The door flew open and Dean walked back into the room and flopped on his bed.

"Look, I know you're pissed, but I'm not doing this to be a dick."

"Sure sounds that way. "

"I don't get it." He slapped his thighs and shook his head. "You knew this was the rule when you moved in. How many times did Dad and I tell you?"

"Jase, it's one fucking beer! Why are you making a big deal of this?"

"Why are you?" Jason didn't mean to snap at his brother, but he hadn't signed up to be his Dean's babysitter. "If it's one fucking beer, why is it SOO important?"

Dean opened his mouth, then took a deep breath instead of speaking. Jason kept his focus on his brother for a sign he understood the situation.

"Dean, look. You wanna be a student athlete, there are rules. If coach kicks you off the team, I doubt you'll make pro. Just saying."

"He won't find out." Dean's voice lacked the angry defiance of a minute ago.

"I'm not taking that risk. If you live here, the 'no drinking' rule is not optional."

"Jase…."

"No, Dean. I'm serious. Mom and Dad will kill me if you get caught drinking." He tried his best to lose his angry tone. "I want you here, but it's not fair to put me in that position."

Dean tossed a soccer ball up a few feet and caught it. After several more times, he smacked the ball hard. "I'm not trying to get you in trouble, but I can't believe it's that big a deal."

"You'll see." Jason held out his hands until Dean threw him the ball.

"So you never broke the rule?"

"Well…." Of course he had. "Only on special occasions and between last night and today, you've already used up your occasions."

Dean finally cracked a smile. "Okay."

Flicking the ball back to his brother, Jason returned the grin. "So, we're good?"

"Yeah, no more drinking."

Jason could hear the unspoken, 'for now,' but let it go. None of them were saints, but hopefully Dean realized he needed to reign in his wild side. "C'mon. Another house rule; you need to help with dinner. Otherwise you get stuck cleaning up by yourself."

Thanks as always to MikeL for helping me with the edits.  It always amazes me the things I miss that he catches.  facepalm.gif
Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dean gave in too easy. I don't think this is the end of the no drinking conversation. Interesting to see what happens next.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/28/2013 12:46 PM, Daithi said:
Dean gave in too easy. I don't think this is the end of the no drinking conversation. Interesting to see what happens next.
Daithi! :o Whatever gives you that idea? 0:)

 

I'd say tuck this episode away and remember it. That's all I'm saying. :whistle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I drank beer in highschool. I can see where the youngster is coming from, but it's a team rule and rules have consequences that can be fairly onerous. Dean however fails to understand that he is putting Jason in a very uncomfortable role and even called him on it; repeatedly. Brothers! Been there and still there, I have 4 of them.

So yeah I get where Dean is coming from and also from where the rest of the housemates are coming from as well. The funny thing is, that when I was in my twenties, they lowered the legal age for beer in most jurisdictions to eighteen and the rationale was that if someone was old enough to get drafted and go to war, they were old enough to drink. Less than a decade later, the drinking age was returned to twenty-one. The number of teenage deaths involving alcohol came down considerably after that. Maturity is not a straight line and doesn't occur predictably by age, but the results speak for themselves.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/29/2013 04:03 AM, Daddydavek said:
I drank beer in highschool. I can see where the youngster is coming from, but it's a team rule and rules have consequences that can be fairly onerous. Dean however fails to understand that he is putting Jason in a very uncomfortable role and even called him on it; repeatedly. Brothers! Been there and still there, I have 4 of them.

So yeah I get where Dean is coming from and also from where the rest of the housemates are coming from as well. The funny thing is, that when I was in my twenties, they lowered the legal age for beer in most jurisdictions to eighteen and the rationale was that if someone was old enough to get drafted and go to war, they were old enough to drink. Less than a decade later, the drinking age was returned to twenty-one. The number of teenage deaths involving alcohol came down considerably after that. Maturity is not a straight line and doesn't occur predictably by age, but the results speak for themselves.

Well, I won't say I never drank, but I can say I never had the - hey it's 3 in the afternoon, I'm 18 let me snark a beer from the fridge days. But I think the issue wasn't so much he had beer, but that it seemed a bit too important and the school year hadn't even begun. So hopefully this isn't shades of things to come - but ou never know. 0:)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

yeah been there done that, sounds good I'm only having one, but then several later and you are being an ass, you know what i mean. good chapter Andy, going to have to try this fiction thing myself.

 

David

Link to comment
On 03/30/2013 02:14 PM, Dave68 said:
yeah been there done that, sounds good I'm only having one, but then several later and you are being an ass, you know what i mean. good chapter Andy, going to have to try this fiction thing myself.

 

David

Thanks for sticking with me David and yes you should consider the flash fiction for your characters but that is just one person's humble opinion ;)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
:wizard: ..............Well that was a much shorter version of the conversation then I anticipated with Dean and his brother!! Anyhow, I guess it seems the point has been driven home. Nice chapter Q-man!!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/31/2013 01:06 PM, Benji said:
:wizard: ..............Well that was a much shorter version of the conversation then I anticipated with Dean and his brother!! Anyhow, I guess it seems the point has been driven home. Nice chapter Q-man!!
B-man, you think this is really over? Really? 0;) Younger brothers are tricksy. I know, I had one and I am one. But I guess time will tell. :P

 

Thanks for reading.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sounds like lil' Bro may become a handful, lol. I agree with the way that Jase handled the situation but I'm thinking along the same lines as Daithi. Now that Dean knows that he can't drink around his brother or the house I have a haunting suspicion that he'll find another avenue. Just hope he's wearing his helmet cause I have a feeling that avenue is going to afford him a crash course in the consequences of drinking. Do I see AA meetings in Dean's future? I don't think so but I do foresee some very hard and troubling times afoot with him.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Oh, Andy -- I see the writing on the wall, or perhaps the summons and complaint. Will he get a hard ass like you or will he get an easy plea bargain for his first offense. Do we get another courtroom chapter? hope hope. I think the untold story here is more than just beer. I see an attitude of rebelliousness, perhaps a bit of alcoholic leaning, and loads of trouble of Dean, Jason, and inevitably Pete and the team. Never a good thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Just a warning. Decided to catch up on your story today. Don't feel obligated to respond to every review:P

The underage drinking rule shouldn't even be broken regardless of soccer. To an extent, Jason is responsible for his little brother. I can see his see the reason for his concern, even without the chance of getting kicked off the team.

Darryl should have stayed out of it. imo

You know and I know that Dean just gave in to get the others off his back and to keep his dad from finding out. This matter certainly isn't closed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/28/2013 11:33 PM, joann414 said:
Just a warning. Decided to catch up on your story today. Don't feel obligated to respond to every review:P

The underage drinking rule shouldn't even be broken regardless of soccer. To an extent, Jason is responsible for his little brother. I can see his see the reason for his concern, even without the chance of getting kicked off the team.

Darryl should have stayed out of it. imo

You know and I know that Dean just gave in to get the others off his back and to keep his dad from finding out. This matter certainly isn't closed.

Well Jo Ann, you know how much I like to talk so, I'll probably answer them all :P

 

Have you ever had a BFF, where you're almost as close as brothers? That Darryl and Jason. For him, Dean stepping out like that is going to feel like his business. But yeah, he probably should have let Jason do it himself :yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..