Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

American Steel - 1. 50th Birthday

50th Birthday

 

I rode the bike to the old Conch house Bart had inherited from his parents decades ago, found a spot in between two cars parked too close to each other for another one to fit in between, and backed the Harley into it. Uncertain of what my best bud had planned, I sat on the motorcycle for a few minutes, staring into the void, trying to clear my head of all the bad memories of the past. What the fuck was it with me and landmark birthdays?

At twenty, my angst over being gay led to me to drop out of school, after four straight semesters of mediocre grades. I had spent those two years in college too horny, too poor, and too scared the guys I hung out with would find out I was gay. Who had time to pay attention in class or study?

Some asshole gave me gonorrhea right before my thirtieth. Once the drips started, I knew what it was, and cursed up a storm on my way to the clinic. The doctor suggested blood tests for every possible STD, I agreed, and went home that day with a packet of information about HIV. I was numb. Sure I was aware it was risky to bareback, but in the heat of the moment, common sense had gone out the window. I’d allowed the hot stud to fuck me bare. He went back home after his vacation, leaving me with a surprise birthday present. At least I think it was him. Catching the bug ain’t the easiest thing in the world.

After a few of years, I met someone who ended up moving in with me. What a mistake. Not sure if I was desperate or just stupid, but the guy turned out to be a nightmare. Following twelve months of wild sex keeping us together, things went downhill real quick after the lust was gone. His lack of interest turned out to be lack of interest in me. He was fucking and getting fucked by anyone and everyone, while I was out on the boat working. I threw him out right before my fortieth and swore I’d stay single for the rest of my life.

Then Bart came into the picture. We’d known each other for a long time, but had never been close friends. That changed when he divorced his wife and came out of the closet. We messed around some, but both of us were relationship shy and agreed we’d be friends with benefits and nothing more. We decided to celebrate our understanding with a pub crawl. Never made it past Sloppy Joe’s. Too much fun partying with locals and tourists alike. Not sure how we were able to walk after all the rum, but we made it back to his place. The following morning we both woke up hung over and sore. Me more so due to his size.

Three months ago Dad died. We’d lost my mother the previous year, and my father hadn’t been the same since. With both gone, I now owned the big house by myself, but I wasn’t sure I was ready to move there. Too many memories right at the moment. Bart was a true friend. He stuck by my side and helped anyway he could. I knew I didn’t want to do anything special this year, but he insisted we at least go out to dinner. So now here I was―he better not have any plans other than going out to eat. I wasn’t in the best of moods.

“Happy birthday, bud!” screamed Bart as I walked through the screen door. My jaw dropped when I saw him. I closed my eyes and shook my head. And then I started laughing. Laughing so hard I ended up bent over, heaving, and wondering if one could get a heart attack from the kind of surprise he’d sprung on me.

My big black friend was almost entirely naked, sitting on the couch atop an old beach blanket. On the coffee table was a cake with candles burning―one shaped like a five, the other one a zero. He had on flip-flops, and an old torn shirt like three sizes too small. And he was hard. Damn was he hard. The fucker knew how to make me smile; he had tied a pink ribbon around the baseball bat he carried between his legs. Happy birthday to me!

©Copyright 2016 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 2
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Cheers!! Here's to good friends and turning 50. :D

 

It only gets better, right Carlos?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/04/2016 10:59 AM, Reader1810 said:

Cheers!! Here's to good friends and turning 50. :D

 

It only gets better, right Carlos?

I sure hope so!

 

We'll see how this one goes. I have a general idea of what I want to do with the story but a lot will depend on reader reaction and whatever prompts are provided.

 

Thanks, 1810.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/05/2016 08:39 AM, Lyssa said:

Very nice. Nothing better than a friend, who knows what your really need for your birthday.

Lyssa

You've got that right!

 

The older we get, the more important certain people become in our lives. Time seems to wash away the acquaintances while real friends cling on.

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing, Lyssa.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is an interesting story. I look forward to more chapters.
Turning 50 is quite an event, although my 50th was some years ago. One big advantage is becoming a member of AARP to enjoy some great discounts.
Happy 50th.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/07/2016 05:22 AM, WildcatLes said:

This is an interesting story. I look forward to more chapters.

Turning 50 is quite an event, although my 50th was some years ago. One big advantage is becoming a member of AARP to enjoy some great discounts.

Happy 50th.

LOL... AARP has saved me some money at hotels when I've been traveling around on my bike since I turned 50 myself. I'll have to keep it in mind. Not sure where I'm taking this story, we'll see where the prompts and reader reaction steers it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Seriously, nothing better than someone who knows what you need on your birthday! The way he was reminiscing, I hoped it was going to be good for him. This was a great Five O.. I really loved it Carlos! Consider yourself hi-fived..

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 01/08/2016 10:35 AM, Defiance19 said:

Seriously, nothing better than someone who knows what you need on your birthday! The way he was reminiscing, I hoped it was going to be good for him. This was a great Five O.. I really loved it Carlos! Consider yourself hi-fived..

**fist bump**

 

Friends like Josh, any sexual liasons aside, are good to have.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/09/2016 04:15 AM, Suvitar said:

Hopefully his life starts to be better after this birthday :P

Thanks, Suvi...

 

Consider the chapter an opening salvo. I'm looking forward to seeing how the year turns out for him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/09/2016 06:06 AM, Lisa said:

Great prompt story, Carlos!

 

Hopefully his 50th will be the best year yet! :)

Great to hear from you, Lisa.

 

My own 50th was nowhere near as traumatic, but it ended up being one of the best years yet. We'll get a peek or two at how it goes for him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Short yet awesome. I already care about the protagonist and, man, did he have some bad luck in the love department. But he's unapologetic and takes things as they come, good and bad, which just feels good to read. And that last paragraph... I don't think I've ever had a birthday present that nice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/12/2016 06:51 AM, albertnothlit said:

Short yet awesome. I already care about the protagonist and, man, did he have some bad luck in the love department. But he's unapologetic and takes things as they come, good and bad, which just feels good to read. And that last paragraph... I don't think I've ever had a birthday present that nice.

Thanks, Albert!

 

I think most of my characters fall into the lemonade making category when they're dealt lemons. The MC's attitude may have been slightly different when those things occurred, but time can make one realize shit happens and wasting time in self pity doesn't get one far.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Missed this one the first time round. I've never cared to celebrate birthdays either. But I'm glad his 50th was fun.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/15/2016 07:10 AM, Timothy M. said:

Missed this one the first time round. I've never cared to celebrate birthdays either. But I'm glad his 50th was fun.

I celebrated a few willingly because my niece's is the day before mine so we did family stuff together. When she started hanging out with her own friends, I've made it a point of leaving town most years.

 

Thanks for reading and the review, Denmark Tim.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Carlos, you seem to be having fun with this. And you have a great sense of humor that's less obvious in your CJ stories. It was fun to think back to my milestone birthdays. None were as exciting as these. Looking forward to more. Jeff

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/15/2016 04:37 PM, JeffreyL said:

Carlos, you seem to be having fun with this. And you have a great sense of humor that's less obvious in your CJ stories. It was fun to think back to my milestone birthdays. None were as exciting as these. Looking forward to more. Jeff

Thanks, Jeff-

 

No real outline for this one. Some entries will be funny, some serious, and I may even throw in some sad ones. Trying to imitate life which ain't all kicks and giggles.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This caught my eyes a while ago, but I never got around actually reading it. Thanks for the nod, the frown, the lifted eyebrow and the grin. All within a few minutes.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2016 04:23 AM, aditus said:

This caught my eyes a while ago, but I never got around actually reading it. Thanks for the nod, the frown, the lifted eyebrow and the grin. All within a few minutes.

You made my day, Adi! Thanks !

 

I'm glad i was able to bring all those facial expression with less than a thousand words!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Love the start of this tale--succinct writing, a great "fill-in" on our hero's past, nice setup for the rest of the story. Looking forward to more!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 07:28 AM, Robert Rex said:

Love the start of this tale--succinct writing, a great "fill-in" on our hero's past, nice setup for the rest of the story. Looking forward to more!

Thanks, Rex.

 

Our biker's going places. Hope you enjoy his adventures.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Unashamedly unique! What a vivid and wonderfully selfless act... to provide a birthday cake!;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Mym8te said:

Unashamedly unique! What a vivid and wonderfully selfless act... to provide a birthday cake!;)

 

Sometimes inspiration can be a little strange. This flash piece was a response to the weekly GA prompts and I had to use 5 words. They're all in the final paragraph and the description og the setting was the first thing that came to mind when I read them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..