Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

American Steel - 5. Red Rose

Red Rose

 

 

I throw my patch-and-lapel-pin-covered black-leather vest over a ratty old concert T as I leave Parliament House after breakfast. The overcast sky threatens rain, but the low rolling hills north of the theme parks beckon. Flat South Florida, with its unimaginative grid pattern layout, doesn’t provide much excitement to a rider. Although all the damn snowbirds do manage to keep me alert when down there. You never know when one of those fuckers will change lanes in front of you, not bothering to look once, much less twice.

Ernesto and his husband are a great couple. A spot of real luck meeting them. Both handsome men are the type you want to spend time with―clothed! Not that the hunky Spaniard didn’t make an impression when he approached me and my bud at the pool, His muscular, furry body and smoldering good looks attracted plenty of attention and I admit I may have licked my lips once or twice. But sex is everywhere, getting laid is easy; friendship’s harder to find. Those two are quality men. I’m already looking forward to future visits at their place in Orlando and mine in Key West.

Wanting to distance myself from the concrete jungle as fast as possible, I hop on the Turnpike headed north. Florida’s Main Street ends at Wildwood where it merges with I-75. I follow the Interstate until I reach Ocala where I leave behind the sterile interstate ribbon of asphalt and switch to US Alternate 27. The expressways are designed for speed, for getting you from point A to point B quickly and safely. The smaller, older roads tend to follow the contours of the landscape in a much gentler way. They hug and climb terrain in a way which brings you closer to the experience of traveling. You embrace your surroundings and become one with it.

The grassy hills which earlier called my name are everywhere, more often than not bordered by white slat fences, keeping the animals within. This is horse country and there’s an abundance of equines around.

In time, I leave behind the urban sprawl and find myself riding through open fields and wildlife conservation areas. This part of Florida―the Big Bend―is sparsely populated and I find myself alone on the road most of the time.

Solitude’s one of the things I love about riding. The ability to get lost in my thoughts. Sometimes reliving the past, which brings both grimaces and a few smiles. More often, my thoughts are occupied by the present. About the scenery, the silly religious billboards alongside the road, the state of the environment around me, and the world at large.

Being so exposed, moving so fast, I sometimes feel like a wild animal running through the fields, chasing some sort of prey. I may not know what I’m looking for in a trip, but I know I’ll find it at the end. And anyway, it’s more about the getting to a place than the place itself.

And then there are thoughts about the future. Uncertain, and at times downright scary, but more often than not, they’re about plans. The next town, the next trip, the next adventure. The next experience, the next challenge. Those are what make getting up in the mornings worth it. What makes life worth living.

And always the thoughts about how I’m going to document today’s experiences in pictures and words. I may not write it all down, but sometimes a few words can dredge up the most magical memories. The ones I turn to when times are not as kind.

I stop for a rest and a bite to eat in Perry before heading towards Tallahassee. It’s my overnight stop before moving on and I check into a Motel 6 south of the state’s capital. No need for fancy accommodations. A clean bed and a shower with hot water is all I seek. After dinner, I google biker bars on my phone and find a joint close enough to have a couple of drinks at before calling it a night.

• • •

The first sip from my Jack and Coke brings forth a sigh of pleasure. I look around at the groups sitting at tables hearing fragments of tall tales. Nodding at the guy standing next to me at the bar, I smile. Tall, young, well-built, a mop of thick dark-copper hair gelled or moussed to make it look carefree but I can tell took time to get just right. Poser. A hard smooth chest shows through the opening of his full body riding suit; he’s unzipped to the top of his abs. Too fucking hot in Florida this time of year for the get-up. Biker wannabee.

“Hey, Fred! Get over here and settle an argument.” Fred happens to be the dude standing next to me. I watch as he ambles over to the one calling his name with moves he’s probably practiced in front of a mirror. I gulp my drink to try and stop from laughing turning around to order a refill. And that’s when I see it.

The girl sitting on the stool was half hidden while Fred stood between us. Now I can see she’s a beautiful blonde with hair cascading down her back. And there on her left shoulder, peeking through strands of spun gold and the strap of her halter top, is a perfect red rose. The lushness of the color and the intricate detail of the petals make me want to reach out and touch it. Why do we often react this way to a tattoo?

“Excuse me, miss, that’s a beautiful job the artist did on your shoulder. It looks so real I want to reach out and feel the petals. Can I ask where you had it done?” I borrow a napkin and pen from the bartender as he delivers my cocktail and jot down Kip, Brick and Tenth, and Austin, TX on it. Folding it, I stick it in my vest pocket and ask permission to take a picture. A firm nod of acquiescence and a warm smile answer me as she shakes her head to move the hair out of the way.

“What the fuck you think you’re doing?” The flash attracted Fred’s attention and he’s at my side in seconds, berating me for taking pictures of his girlfriend.

I don’t know how I stopped myself from rolling my eyes and calling him girlfriend. Instead, I explain I asked permission, that I was thinking of getting some ink and liked hers, and that he had nothing to worry about with me. “I’m gay, buddy. Your girl’s safe around me.”

Not sure why, but this seems to piss him off. Fred turns and shouts at his friends. “Guys! The dude’s queer! He’s taking pictures of my girl but I think he wants some of me. He’s a fucking fag.”

“Good for him.”

“Good for us! Less competition for the women.”

“Good for Fred, maybe he’ll get laid tonight!”

The last comment I guess is too much for Fred. The color of his face is now a match for his hair. “Fuck you, assholes!”

“Nah, Fred, if you get lucky he’ll fuck you.”

“You seen his size? Betcha he’s packing.”

“For your sake, I hope he has lube!”

“Remember to take out that stick you have up your ass before you bend over.”

The ribbing’s good natured, but brutal. It sounds to me like Fred has some image issues around the place. I try not to laugh. Fred slaps some bills on the wood counter, grabs the blonde’s hand and storms out of the place. A moment later I follow; I’m curious about what he rides. I should have guessed: the pretty boy with the perfect hair and outfit, and his trophy girl climbs aboard one of the most gorgeous crotch rockets I’ve ever seen. The BMW HP2 Sport is magnificent as it roars out of the gravel parking lot, spraying stones all over the place

I fucking hate gravel. At least he didn’t ding my scooter when he sped away. I’m wondering if he can truly handle such a magnificent beast. Oh well, not my problem. Glad I parked on the grassy strip close to the road, I go back inside to finish my drink. I’m smiling: something new to add to my journal. And I’m thinking Austin might be a good stop down the line.

 


 

Kip and the Brick and Tenth are the intellectual property of Sasha Distan and are used by permission. Kip’s story may be found here: Apprentice

My thanks to Sasha and 1810 for their input and assistance with this chapter.
©Copyright 2016 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Greta minds....the second the life-like rose had been mentioned the image of Brick and the tenth sprung up - and their obsession with roses! I love those flowers like any others, but a tat of a rose for me is on par with an anchor, some past girlfriends name and a a heart pierced by an arrow....seen too many of those, poorly or well executed, does not matter! Guys - and gals for that - get more creative than a rose....please!
Rant over - now Carlos that was another nice day of your biker's quest! While there will always be pricks around, we can only hope that the find less and less support for their un-enlightened views. That fob was nicely but in place by his peers and pals, our liked hero did not have to lift his voice, even less so a single finger.
Again, we can only hope, that the recent changes in political discourse (hard to call the past 18 months that) and the future government does not wash up the less savory elements in society....

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Amazing job you did with the description of the sceneries when travelling.
And yeah when I was the name Kip I knew we had a crossover with Sasha ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/28/2016 10:28 PM, IBEX said:

Greta minds....the second the life-like rose had been mentioned the image of Brick and the tenth sprung up - and their obsession with roses! I love those flowers like any others, but a tat of a rose for me is on par with an anchor, some past girlfriends name and a a heart pierced by an arrow....seen too many of those, poorly or well executed, does not matter! Guys - and gals for that - get more creative than a rose....please!

Rant over - now Carlos that was another nice day of your biker's quest! While there will always be pricks around, we can only hope that the find less and less support for their un-enlightened views. That fob was nicely but in place by his peers and pals, our liked hero did not have to lift his voice, even less so a single finger.

Again, we can only hope, that the recent changes in political discourse (hard to call the past 18 months that) and the future government does not wash up the less savory elements in society....

You forgot MOM!

 

If the mention of a rose tattoo evoked images of a certain parlor and a young artist then the reference accomplished it's purpose. :yes:

 

The times they're a changing. We'll never be entirely rid of hateful mongrelas, but attitudes change and those who refuse to follow along will be left on the wrong side of history.

 

Thanks you, Sir!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/28/2016 11:30 PM, clochette said:

Amazing job you did with the description of the sceneries when travelling.

And yeah when I was the name Kip I knew we had a crossover with Sasha ;)

Glad you like it, Clo.

 

I'm having fun with these little snapshots. Sasha was gracious enough in entrusting me with his creation and Kip will make an appearance in a future chapter.

 

Not everything's about romance, sex, or violence and I want to share some of the experiences I've enjoyed riding all over the US. Just a warning, our biker gets laid in the next chapter... LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Awesome, you captured the feelings and spirit of the trip so good. I revived the memory of my last bike ride with a very loved person. So long a go, feels like a different live. Thank you for surfacing it.
I like the reactions of the other people in the bar - very nice.
Lyssa

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Before I got to the end I was thinking of Sasha's Ink Boys series. And then the mention of Kip made me smile. I think you and Sasha must be sharing writing secrets. You are both so damned good at saying so much with so few words. Thanks for more good reads. I am really enjoying this series of short stories. And I loved Fred. The jerk you love to snicker about. Jeff

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yup the rose did it for me too, I knew you were doing a Sasha cross-over. :D
Always makes me sad to see those insecure guys who pose and bluster to cover up the lack of self-worth. If he had only had one close and clever childhood friend who could have called him on the stupid behavior and given the support he needed to relax, he would be much happier and so would everyone around him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Goodness, I thought there was going to be a bar brawl for a second. But you did a really wonderful thing with the Apprentice crossover. Loved to see that. And poor Fred (let alone the poor girl). Maybe someday he'll figure out who he really is...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/29/2016 03:16 AM, Lyssa said:

Awesome, you captured the feelings and spirit of the trip so good. I revived the memory of my last bike ride with a very loved person. So long a go, feels like a different live. Thank you for surfacing it.

I like the reactions of the other people in the bar - very nice.

Lyssa

Thanks, Lyssa.

 

O love it when my stories evoke fond memories in readers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/29/2016 04:06 AM, JeffreyL said:

Before I got to the end I was thinking of Sasha's Ink Boys series. And then the mention of Kip made me smile. I think you and Sasha must be sharing writing secrets. You are both so damned good at saying so much with so few words. Thanks for more good reads. I am really enjoying this series of short stories. And I loved Fred. The jerk you love to snicker about. Jeff

Sasha's been at this a hell of a lot longet than I have and it was my pleasure to give Kip a little publicity! Glad you're enjoying the series, Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/29/2016 05:44 AM, Timothy M. said:

Yup the rose did it for me too, I knew you were doing a Sasha cross-over. :D

Always makes me sad to see those insecure guys who pose and bluster to cover up the lack of self-worth. If he had only had one close and clever childhood friend who could have called him on the stupid behavior and given the support he needed to relax, he would be much happier and so would everyone around him.

Could you imagine if Fred had grown up around CJ? Poor guy would have been hammered whenever he made a stupid remark. I see Fred as someone with wealthy parents who grew up with a sense of entitlement because of his money and looks. I hope sooner or later he realizes those things only get you so far.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/29/2016 06:37 AM, Parker Owens said:

Goodness, I thought there was going to be a bar brawl for a second. But you did a really wonderful thing with the Apprentice crossover. Loved to see that. And poor Fred (let alone the poor girl). Maybe someday he'll figure out who he really is...

Thanks, Parker. As much as I love writing a verbal or physical altercation, I liked doing something a bit different with this one. Had our biker been younger, he may have thrown a punch. But he's secure enough in who he is these days he doesn't have to fight every battle. Sometimes walking away is the right thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You do an incredible job bringing these scenes to life. I fully expected to find a jack and coke in my hand..
It got tense in the bar, I was waiting for something to happen glad it didn't. Haha, they basically did Fred a 'Bye, Felicia..'

 

Nice use of Kip. I was a semi lurker, when I read Apprentice..Probably should read it again.

 

Well done..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/29/2016 02:34 PM, Defiance19 said:

You do an incredible job bringing these scenes to life. I fully expected to find a jack and coke in my hand..

It got tense in the bar, I was waiting for something to happen glad it didn't. Haha, they basically did Fred a 'Bye, Felicia..'

 

Nice use of Kip. I was a semi lurker, when I read Apprentice..Probably should read it again.

 

Well done..

Apprentice's a great little story!

 

Maybe I should have Sean learn how to ride a bike and he can take you out to a dive bar and buy you Jack & Cokes... :D

 

Thanks for reading, Def!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It really isn't about the destination, is it? Selfishly, I hope the trip lasts a long, long time.
Or there are many more trips in the future.
Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/30/2016 01:21 PM, mollyhousemouse said:

It really isn't about the destination, is it? Selfishly, I hope the trip lasts a long, long time.

Or there are many more trips in the future.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

The destination's important, but getting there can be a heck of a lot more interesting at times.

 

Thanks, Molly. I'm working on the next chapter and I may have ideas for a few more. Not promising weekly updates, squeezing these in while trying to get the next CJ book finished, but I'll try. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I had the same experience with a raven tattoo. It looked like a watercolor painting, just beautiful. Someday... Anyway, yep German steel can be nice too.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/07/2016 06:34 AM, aditus said:

I had the same experience with a raven tattoo. It looked like a watercolor painting, just beautiful. Someday... Anyway, yep German steel can be nice too.

LOL-

 

That Beemer bike's a rolling wet dream even if I prefer the larger motorcycles.

 

Thanks for reading, buddy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..