Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Everhope - Summer of '22 Book II - 2. Dinner Party

The following morning, CJ was surprised when Brad joined him and Wingnut on the front steps. “You going running?”

Shaking his head, Brad glanced at his titanium legs, shorts, and tank top. “Nope, headed to a black-tie event this morning.”

“Asshole!”

“Woof!”

“See? Even the pup agrees.”

“Fuck off, CJ. Of course I’m running. Wingnut and I do it most mornings. However, I’ll admit this is a bit earlier than our usual.” The sun had yet to rise, but Brad appeared ready while stretching.

While the humans warmed up, the dog strained at his leash. “Down, Wingnut. We’ll get going in a minute.” He glanced at Brad and grinned. “This is gonna be fun. I’ve been running by myself since moving to Mexico.”

“Ozzie didn’t go with you?” With Wingnut leading the way, they headed toward Lincoln Park, a block away from Everhope.

“Nah… He likes to sleep a little longer than I do, and someone had to stay in the apartment with Liebe. The nanny usually arrived about the time I returned.”

“How far? One circuit ’round the park’s about three-quarters of a mile.”

CJ shrugged. “I do five miles most days, but I haven’t done that since leaving Mexico. Not sure how much you planning on, but I’ll prolly stop at three today.” With Brad at his side, CJ did not bother with earbuds; conversation was a nice change from music or audiobooks.

Brad quit at the same time CJ did and walked with him the final blocks to cool down. He pointed at a storefront across the park on 11th Street. “Wine and Butter”the shop had occupied the location for a long time“added coffee to their menu since you guys moved. I usually stop there for an espresso when I’m done.”

“Not sure if you noticed, but I set the coffeemaker last night. I had a mug while checking emails, but there’ll be a nearly-full pot when we get back. We can use the little Italian cafetera if you want a strong shot.”

 

In 2018 Major League Rugby played its inaugural season with eight teams. When MLR awarded the nation’s capital a franchiseOld Glory DC—CJ and Owen were recruited as minority owners. Team management wanted to court fans in the gay community and felt having local representation by two professionals would be beneficial on multiple fronts. The fact Owen was an Australian amateur player, and CJ had Hispanic roots did not hurt.

Soon after their team’s initial season, CJ was posted to the U.S. embassy in Mexico City. They bemoaned the missed opportunity of being active with the team. The couple had discussed it, and since they were back in Washington for the foreseeable future, decided to explore how they could increase their participation.

After breakfast, Owen left to meet with the team’s front office. He and CJ agreed their newfound celebrity status might be useful in marketing. CJ also wanted to explore the feasibility of the team playing games in the District in the future. Home games took place in Leesburg, Virginia, at the moment. The other item they agreed on was to have Owen take point in the effort.

Brad, pursuing a degree in criminology at American University, had to study. Having spent time in the army and recovering from his injuries, he was older than many of his classmates. Wanting to earn his diploma as soon as feasible, the military vet was going to school year-round. He declined CJ’s invitation to go shopping.

“I guess it’s just the two of us, Munchkin.” CJ held Liebe’s hand while pushing the stroller toward the front door. It would come in handy when she tired of walking; he would not have to carry her. Having it as a pseudo shopping cart was an added benefit.

“Wingnut…” Liebe glanced back at the pooch once CJ closed the inner door.

“I can only watch one of you at a time while shopping. He’ll be waiting for you when we come back. Okay?”

“Kay…” She did not look okay, but CJ had figured out she was a trooper. Not always, but she was willing to forego instant gratification at times. Usually after one of her fathers explained the reasons behind the requested delay.

In his 1791 plans for the capital, Pierre L’Enfant included spaces for local markets. Eastern, a ten-minute stroll from Everhope, opened its doors at its current location in 1873. Over the years, it had survived the Civil War, the crack epidemic and accompanying decline in the neighborhood, competition from grocery stores, and a crippling fire in 2007.

The rebuilt, nineteenth-century Eastern Market was the Capitol Hill neighborhood’s unofficial town center. On Saturdays, it hosted an expansive farmers’ market popular with young adults and families living in the area, as well as residents from other neighborhoods and tourists.

“Let’s start inside, Munchkin.” CJ could not remember the exact location of the fishmonger and had to ask for directions.

“What can I get you, chief?” The attendant was an older woman who winked at Liebe from behind the counter.

CJ lifted the girl so she could see what he was doing. He pointed at a bright slab on the ice shavings. “How much does that one weigh?” He turned to Liebe while the woman took the salmon filet from the case. “We’re grilling tonight, Munchkin. I’ll cook enough so we can have omelets for breakfast tomorrow.” They carried out two pieces weighing almost ten pounds. Marked as artisanal, it was a bit more expensive, but since he and Owen could afford it, they preferred supporting craft fishermen instead of factory ships.

“Let’s go buy the rest of what we need outside.” Under tents, produce vendors offered anything and everything one could want, with emphasis on locally grown or raised items.

Stopping at a stall, he pointed at crates full of white asparagus. He smiled at the vendor. “Where are those from? I didn’t know we grew them in the area.”

“It’s a new item for us.” She pointed at the sign on the side of the boxes reading Virginia Grown. “We hired someone from Germany, they grow the best ones over there, to help us kickstart production. They’re a bit more expensive than green ones, but I think they're worth it.”

The higher price CJ expected; he knew growing and harvesting white asparagus was labor-intensive. Earth was constantly mounded around the sprouts to keep them out of sunlight. He had planned on green ones, but the girthy white stalks made him change his mind.

Two stands over, he bought purple fingerlings and baby spinach. He would serve the salmon on a bed of wilted spinach with roasted potatoes and grilled asparagus. His subsequent purchases were a tub of freshly churned butter and a piece of white truffle. Combined, he planned to drizzle them over the vegetables. Their final stop was at a flower vendor.

“Which ones do you like, Munchkin?” The aroma was enthralling when they stood in front of a wall of color. CJ wanted to fill the entire house with flowers.

“That one.” Liebe pointed at the white peonies and stuck her nose near them. “Smells good.”

“Great choice, Munchkin. I like.” The flower guy wrapped two bunches along with assorted greenery for them. Liebe placed each one inside her stroller and reached for her father’s hand. “One more stop, and we go back home.” CJ was glad she wanted to walk; the stroller was full, and he might have had to carry her.

He and Owen had told their guests it would be a casual evening and to dress comfortably. CJ claimed since he would be slaving over hot coals, he planned to wear shorts. In reality, there would be no slaving. While Liebe napped after lunch, he and Owen could prep everything in a short time.

“Munchkin, you’ve been such a good girl you’ve earned a reward. We’re gonna stop at the bakery to get dessert for tonight, but I think we should get at least one cookie for you. How’s that sound?”

“Good. A skinny doody.”

CJ was able to limit his reaction to a chuckle. “It’s a snickerdoodle, Munchkin. Snicker and doodle all together. Try it.”

“Snickad… I can’t say it.” Although sounding frustrated, Liebe did not pout. “Help again.”

That willingness to learn and try new things was something CJ tried to nurture. He wanted her to enjoy exploring as much as he did. “Okay, let’s try one half at a time, then we’ll put them together. The first one’s almost like our shoes”father and daughter wore Chucks“say snickers.”

While they walked the seven-odd blocks to District Thirteen, Liebe was eventually able to say the word. The bakery, on 13th Street south of South Carolina Avenue, had opened after the move to Mexico City. It had come to CJ’s attention during his short visit to Washington in January. Neighborhood friends surprised him one morning with breakfast sandwiches and pastries and raved about the place.

Placing the order for five-berry tarts in advance was fortuitous; there was barely enough room to step inside the store. Having already paid, all he needed to do was get a clerk’s attention. It proved difficult since there were only two of them, trying to help a store full of customers.

CJ put a ten-dollar bill on the counter next to his ID. “Can you give me a snickerdoodle? Keep the change.”

The kid smiled and did not seem to mind breaking the rules. CJ was not supposed to buy anything when he jumped to the front of the line for a pickup.

Liebe’s smile was worth the infraction. “Thanks, buddy. Is this place always this crowded?”

“Yeah… we’re short on staff, and the manager complains about people not wanting to work. Probably ’cause he pays crap. But I need the money.”

Typical of a teenager to have an opinion, and CJ was glad the kid was ballsy enough to share it. During the walk home, he returned to the manager’s complaints and the clerk’s claim of low pay. He had read of similar situations, which was something to think about.

 

Wingnut’s bark followed the doorbell’s chimes by a fraction of a second. “Stay, boy.” CJ put his hand out, and the dog sat. “Hold him while we get the door, Rod.”

Rod and Taisha had walked over a bit earlier. CJ’s cousin reached for the dog’s collar and stroked his head.

“Go, Munchkin. Go see who’s at the door.” Owen stood and gave her time to amble down the hallway before following.

“I don’t know them.” Liebe pushed her hands against the locked outer doors, the interior ones her fathers had left open.

CJ lifted the girl and held her while unlocking the door. “They’re friends of ours, Liebe. Come in, guys. Welcome to our house.”

“She’s adorable!” Adele stretched her arms out. “I’ve heard a lot about you, Liebe, but you’re cuter in person. Can I hold you?”

Owen nodded when the girl glanced at him. “Hi, Adele. It’s great to see you in person.” They had video chatted before, but CJ had been the one to meet her earlier in the year. “And you have to be Nathaniel. I’m Owen.”

“Pleasure, Owen.” After shaking hands, he turned to CJ. “You too, man. Y’all have a beautiful house.” Prior to joining the conversation, his sight had wandered over the entrance, focusing his attention on the millwork. “How old is this place? Is the millwork original?”

CJ threw an arm over the man’s shoulders and grinned. “Someone after my own heart. I’m an architecture junkie. The house was built in the late eighteen-hundreds, but we gutted most of it a couple of years ago. The trim on the first floor’s not original, but we recreated what we removed. We’ll give you guys a tour in a bit. Come on back and meet our neighbors.”

Owen led the way to the den. “CJ’s cousin, Rod, and his wife, Taisha, recently moved into the house across the alley. They showed up early and are in the den holding the dog back. Otherwise, he might lick you to death.”

While introductions were made, Brad joined them. “Hi, I’m the housemate.”

“He’s a hell of a lot more than that.” Owen draped an arm around the redhead’s waist. “He and I are step-cousins, Brad went to high school with CJ, and he moved in as caretaker when we went to live in Mexico. He’s our brother.”

“What can I get you guys to drink? We’re having a nice rosé with dinner, but I can open a bottle now if you want.”

“You know I can’t, CJ. You have sparkling water?” One of the reasons behind the gathering was to celebrate the fact Adele was pregnant. Liebe would have a sibling by the end of the year or the beginning of the next one.

“We have San Pellegrino. Lime?”

“Please.”

“What about you, Nathaniel?”

“You have any bourbon?”

“Damn right, they do. Good shit too.” Brad replied before CJ could. “I’ll have the same. Two fingers. One ice cube.”

CJ nodded, took out crystal tumblers, and retrieved a bottle from a cabinet. He showed Nathaniel the label. “Acceptable?”

The response was a soft whistle and raised eyebrows. “Old Rip van Winkle? Nah, man. That’s too fancy. Save it for a special occasion. You have anything cheaper?”

Placing an ice cube in each glass, CJ poured a generous amount in each. “This is a special occasion. What better way to celebrate a new life than with quality booze?” The outrageously priced bottle had been a present, and since CJ preferred Scotch and Owen rum, they had not put a big dent on the contents.

CJ recalled tasting it when it was given to them and appreciating the balance between spice and sweetness. As with quality wines, the complexity of aromas and flavors was outstanding. He had tasted butterscotch, caramel, and ginger initially and experienced a burst of nutmeg and tobacco at the end. Remembering it so well surprised him; maybe Owen’s training with wines spilled over to other spirits.

“I’ll get it,” Brad said when the doorbell rang again.

Moments later, Aja’s voice was easily recognized. “How ya doin’, white boy? You look cute.”

“Stop flirting! I have a girlfriend.” Brad’s chuckles were heard by everyone.

“I don’t know why I get invited to this house; the men are all gay, attached, or both.” Realizing there were people she didn’t know, Aja grinned while staring at Nathaniel. “You’re new. But I bet you’re with the pretty lady next to you. I’m Aja.”

Nathaniel stood the moment she entered the den and offered her a handshake. “I am. She’s Adele, and I’m Nathaniel.”

“Oh… I love your accent. Where you from?”

“Originally from Kentucky, ma’am. But we live in Virginia.”

“You love Fuzzy’s accent, and I love your outfit! Where did you get it?” Adele stood and fingered the fabric of the colorful dress.

“Made it myself. It’s hard to find pretty things for girls my size.” Aja Goodwin was a friend of Taisha’s CJ and Owen had met the summer of twenty-twenty. Opinionated and pushyOwen claimed she reminded him of CJshe had charmed the men and been invited to their home a couple of times prior to the move to Mexico. “Fuzzy?”

“That’s his nickname. Can’t you see all the chest hair peeking through the shirt’s opening? He’s fuzzy all over.” Adele chuckled when Aja stared at her husband and licked her lips.

“T, can you get Aja a drink?” CJ was on his way to the door again. He was happy to see the large, black man grinning on the front steps. “Linc!” FBI agent Lincoln Erickson nearly fell when CJ wrapped him in a hug. “Damn, it’s good to see you.”

“You too, CJ. But it’s been less than two weeks” Anything else he may have wanted to say was lost when he was again attacked.

“Uncle Linc! Uncle Linc!” Liebe latched onto one of his massive thighs while Wingnut barked and jumped.

While CJ pried the girl off their friend, Owen took hold of the dog. “It’s good to see you again, mate. I still feel bad we left you at the park.” Lincoln had been part of Liebe’s rescue and covered her with his body when the kidnapper shot in her direction. The Kevlar vest saved his life.

“Don’t be an idiot, Ozzie. You did what we agreed to.”

“Mate, you took a bullet for my daughter. There’s no way we can ever repay you.”

“Several bullets, but who’s counting.”

“Shut up, CJ.”

“Fine.”

Once their final guest, Dr. Oscar Facundo, arrived, Owen ensured anyone who wanted a cocktail had a fresh one and offered first-time visitors a tour. Aja tagged along while the others congregated in the kitchen to watch CJ make last-minute preparations.

“Linc, you ready for a refill?” CJ did not wait for an answer. He opened the refrigerator, retrieved the half-empty pitcher of martinis, and pointed at jars of olives on the island. “Somebody do the honors.”

 

Once the salmon was ready and the rest of the food had been carried to the dining room, Owen joined the others, taking a seat at the end opposite CJ. “Who wants wine?”

“What are we drinking?” Rod reached for one of the bottles Owen had placed on the table. “2020 Three By Wade Rosé? What? No Liston wine?”

“I wanted to serve a rosé, and we only had one bottle of ours left.” Owen shrugged. “We bought a case of this before we moved to Mexico. I thought it was a good match for what CJ planned to cook. It’s salmon-hued, and the aromatics are tropical, with notes of strawberries, ripe melon, and a sweet-tart finish. Let me know what you think of it.”

“What my oenophile husband means is that it’s pretty darn good for being reasonably priced. It’s from Dwayne Wade’s line.” CJ grinned when Owen stuck his tongue out.

“The basketball player?” Rod sipped and made appreciative sounds. “Not bad. Not bad at all.”

“Told ya, cuz. And yes, that Dwayne Wade. Why do you think it’s called 3? That was his number with the Miami Heat.”

“Y’all are too fancy for me. I mean, that bourbon I tried before was incredible. And this is way better than the Two Buck Chuck I usually drink.”

“Oh, hush, Fuzzy.” Adele glanced around the table, smiling. “My dear husband likes to play the Kentucky country bumpkin. It’s an act. He deals with rich people and their elevated tastes all the time.”

CJ was intrigued by the comment. “I don’t even know what you do for a living, Nathaniel. What puts you in touch with the wealthy so much?”

“I’m a carpenter.”

Adele again chastised her husband. “That’s crap. He builds custom cabinetry and one-of-a-kind furniture. When Owen gave us the house tour, Fuzzy mumbled something about how great a carved butterfly headboard would look in Liebe’s room.”

“I didn’t hear that comment.” Owen sounded excited. “That could be awesome as long as it’s not too heavy. What did you have in mind? We might be interested.”

“You didn’t hear ’cause I whispered. After seeing the cabinetry work in the nursery, I figured you’d hire the same person. Their work’s excellent. And the stuff in the wine cellar’s even more impressive. I can’t believe most of that was made from the old hardwood floors you removed.” Nathaniel looked from Owen to CJ and back. “But if you’re interested, I could draw something up when I’m back at the shop and email it to you guys.”

“Where’s your place? I’d love to see some of your work.” CJ was always interested in supporting local businesses.

“I rent an old warehouse in Anacostia. It’s big enough we have a section set up as a design studio and sewing facility for Adele.”

“You should stop by on Tuesday.” Adele nodded in Aja’s direction. “I told Aja I really, really liked her outfit and invited her to come talk to me about Goddess Wear.” That was the brand name for the proposed maternity athletic-wear line Adele hoped to launch. “When she said she made it herself, I thought we could maybe collaborate.”

“I’m off that day, CJ. We should go together.” Aja sounded excited. “I told Adele I’d jump at the chance to work together. Who knows? Something might come out of it, and I could leave my boring job behind.”

CJ nodded. He had liked Adele when they met in person, and Nathaniel sounded like an interesting character. The fact it looked like he was hairier than CJ made him smile. “That could work. Is the warehouse where you plan to produce your line?”

One of the reasons Adele was serving as their surrogate was the financial compensation. She had earmarked the money for her startup company. “At the beginning. I’d love to manufacture everything in D.C., but I’m not sure I could find enough good seamstresses or be able to afford their pay and benefits. Everyone says labor’s hard to find these days.”

Aja did not give CJ the opportunity to reply. “I can help with that. I have a couple of aunties that would love to make a little money since they live on Social Security. They’ll have friends in the same boat. And if you mean health insurance when you say benefits, they’re all on Medicare, so that wouldn’t be a problem.”

CJ nodded. “Sounds solid, Adele. I’d hate to have you manufacture overseas. Once you’re ready to start production, talk to us. Maybe we can help.” He thought if she found herself short of cash, he and Owen might be interested in investing in the startup.

“In the meantime, I’ll email you something about Dick’s.” Being who he was, CJ expected a reaction and wasn’t disappointed; grins and questioning looks were his reward. “With a capital D. You’re the second person who mentions a tight labor market to me today, and I think that’s not accurate. Dick’s proof of it. It’s a burger joint in Seattle with a starting pay of nineteen dollars an hour. They offer their employees health insurance, childcare assistance, and a bunch of other benefits. Their philosophy’s to invest in their workforce. Recognizing that type of commitment costs more in the short run, they feel their investment pays off long term with happier, more motivated employees. They have a high retention rate and an overabundance of applicants for every open position. And in case you’re wondering, their burgers cost less than five bucks each.”

“Send it. I’m interested in seeing what they do.”

“Going back to the butterfly thing, if you guys are interested in that mural Owen mentioned, or maybe a painting, I know an artist.” Brad shrugged when CJ showed surprise. “What can I tell you? You meet all sorts of interesting people going to school.”

CJ grinned and nodded. “True dat. You and I met in school.”

“You’re a one-off, CJ. No way could I ever meet anyone as interesting. Anyway, there’s this girl who’s been tracking a few classes with me. We’ve wound up studying at her place, and I met her boyfriend, Wazdan.”

“Great name!”

“I guess it’s Nigerian. He’s a street artist and has done a bunch of murals with nature stuff. He showed me pictures and drawings. I can hook you up and see if he’s interested and if you like his stuff.”

“Do it. Week after next, though. Remember, Ozzie and I leave town on Thursday.”

“Wait!” Taisha finished swallowing whatever she was eating and sipped from her glass. “You just got in, and you’re leaving town already?”

“I thought you knew…” Owen sounded surprised. “One of CJ’s friends from Georgetown’s getting married a week from tonight. We had planned to fly to D.C. for a day, leave Liebe with CJ’s dads, and return for a couple more days before heading back to Mexico. Obviously, we reworked our schedule.”

“Big wedding? Anyone we know?”

“You may have met Paul.” CJ pointed at his cousin. “He was a rower and hung out at our apartment now and then. Wealthy family, and it’s at The Breakers, so we assume it’ll be a big to do.”

“You and Owen seem to have an eclectic group of friends, CJ. Just look around this table.” Dr. Oscar Facundo, the IVF specialist responsible for Liebe and her sibling growing inside Adele, had not said much since arriving.

“We didn’t have a choice on all of them, Oscar. Rod’s a blood relative.”

“Screw you, cuz.”

Facundo laughed. “Yeah, you can tell you’re related. There’s a bit of a resemblance, and the personalities are similar.”

“You should see him and Randy together, Doc. The two of them drive T crazy with their antics.” Rod leaned over and pecked Taisha’s cheek.

“And who’s Randy?”

“My twin brother. He lives in Chicago.”

“Fascinating…”

The Portuguese-American physician, originally from the Hartford, Connecticut area, attended Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, and did his residency at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. He fell in love with the area and joined a practice in Washington when done with his training. Tall and muscular, with Mediterranean dark looks, the glasses softened his appearance. Despite his size, he appeared approachable instead of intimidating.

“Why fascinating?” Lincoln cemented his position as a brother to CJ and Owen by interposing himself between Liebe and the bullets fired by her kidnapper. He sat to Owen’s right, with Oscar on his other side, and had spent most of the evening quietly chatting with the physician. Similar in size and age, both were in their mid-thirties, they looked good together.

“Well…” The man glanced around the table and smiled while scratching his dark beard. “I’d never met Rod and Taisha and had no idea they were expecting too. A pregnancy’s always something to celebrate in my business. How far along are you guys?”

“About a month behind, Adele.” Rod looked at Taisha, who nodded.

“So, you don’t know the gender yet, right?”

“Nope. My OBGYN told me they could probably tell in a month when” Taisha stopped, raised a hand to her mouth, and swiveled her stare between Oscar and Adele. “SHIT! That means you know!”

Adele stared at her food while Oscar grinned. CJ glared at both. “You guys said you were doing the sonogram on Monday.”

“It was her idea.” Oscar shrugged. “She said it’d be nice to surprise you tonight, and I agreed. So, you guys want to know? Want a copy of the picture?”

“Asshole! Of course we do.” CJ spoke while Owen nodded.

“The reason I said Rod having a twin brother was fascinating was that it’ll be nice for your twin boys to have them as relatives.”

CJ nearly spilled to the floor when he jumped, and his chair threatened to fall. Owen scraped the wood floor by pushing away from the table before standing. Everyone spoke simultaneously, and the cacophony was so loud CJ feared Liebe could hear them on the top floor.

“Damn, cuz. That’s some strong swimmers you have.” Liebe and her brothers had been conceived using CJ’s sperm and eggs left by Owen’s sister before she underwent chemotherapy; cancer eventually claimed her life.

“Sounds like your nursery remodeling might be a bit more complicated.” Nathaniel glanced between CJ and Owen. “When you guys come by the shop, I’ll show you pictures of a double crib I built last year.”

“What you gonna name them?” Like everyone else, Aja continuously shifted her gaze between her hosts. “They better not be boring, white-boy names.”

“How about Tyrone and Tyrese? If they look anything like Liebe, people will scratch their heads when they meet blond brothers with those names.” Lincoln cracked up at his joke.

“Damn!” CJ collapsed back on the chair, staring at his husband. “Oz?”

“What?” Owen looked frazzled. “I’m as surprised as you. Two? Both boys?”

Oscar grinned while nodding.

“If Rod and I wind up with a boy too, I’m scared of three little Abellós growing up together.” Taisha reached for her husband’s hand. “I’m warning you, we’re not giving him a boring, white-boy name either.”

“Cuz, whatever you name them, make sure both names start with the same letter. Like me and Randy.”

Lincoln winked at Rod. “I still say Tyrone and Tyrese have a nice ring to them.”

CJ shook his head. “That ain’t happening, Linc. Someone would probably accuse us of cultural appropriation. And no matching names. Whatever we settle on, I think we should brand them with their initials at birth so we can tell them apart.”

“CJ! That’s awful.”

“This calls for bubbly.” Owen pointed at Brad. “Help me get flutes and a couple bottles from the wine fridge?” They always kept chilled Champagne around for special events, and this one qualified as such. Even Adele and Taisha, though pregnant, raised their glasses and took a sip.

“How many more are you guys gonna have? Am I gonna have to move because you run out of rooms?" Brad laughed when both CJ and Owen raised their middle fingers.

“CJ and I talked about two, maybe three. Guess it’s going to be three. Not sure we want more.”

“Then you’ll have to decide what to do with the remaining embryos.” Oscar’s comment brought all conversation to a halt.

CJ stared at Owen while searching for the correct answer. “We ain’t doing it tonight. Not sure what Oz thinks, but I’d rather wait until these two are born. Once we know they’re healthy, we’ll figure something out.”

“We’ll donate them for research. At least that’s what we discussed before.” Owen’s expression relaxed when CJ nodded.

“Good. What with abortion being outlawed in so many states, stem cell researchers are going to need support.”

“Yeah! About that…” Aja stared at CJ and looked ready to pick a fight. “I’ve been paying attention, and after you schooled me on it, I understand the difference between laws and the constitution.” During their first meeting, at the height of the 2020 unrest and the Black Lives Matter movement, CJ had explained how flying the confederate flag was a constitutionally protected right laws could not eliminate. “I know the Supreme Court didn’t outlaw abortions, but it sure as shit made it easy for haters in all those Republican states to do it. What you doing about it?”

CJ was proud of having inspired the woman to seek knowledge, “Good for you, Aja. I’m glad you heard what I said and took it to heart. Ozzie and I would like to inspire more people to do the same. It’s a project we’ll work on over the summer.”

“You didn’t answer the question, cuz. What are you doing about it?”

“Screw you, Rod. You’re trying to bait me. I refuse to throw a tantrum.” Sticking a thumb in each ear and wiggling the other fingers may not have been a tantrum, but the childish move elicited chuckles.

“It’s a valid question, CJ. You have strong opinions, you work for the government, and you’re the one sitting in the Oval Office discussing global issues with the President.” As she did most of the time, Taisha spoke in measured tones. She was serious.

“Et tu, T?” CJ realized his guests were waiting for an answer. He took a deep breath and dove into the controversy. “Fine… While the past six months have been eventful for Ozzie, Liebe, and me, it feels as if the world has gone to hell in a handbasket at the same time. And if that hell exists, there’s a special corner in it for Justice Thomas and several other Justices. He gets the brunt of my anger right now. For once, it’s an old black man being an ass instead of a white one. The fact he thinks we should revisit decisions concerning reproductive rights, sexual privacy, and same-sex marriages makes me hope he dies soon. Preferably painfully.”

“CJ! That’s not acceptable.” Owen did not sound pleased.

“Yeah, well, I’m not about to kill him. But if he dies, I won’t mourn him. Anyway, Aja was right, it’s the states we have to deal with until some horrible decisions are overturned. And that will take years.

“In the meantime, as far as abortion goes, our friend Ethan’s working with large corporations wanting to ensure their employees have access. We’ll support his efforts and contribute to organizations helping defray the cost of traveling to a free state. I read something about possibly building floating clinics in the Gulf of Mexico to serve Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida. And we’ll try to get state legislators elected who don’t have the same draconian approach to women’s health.”

“That last one’s gonna be difficult.” Nathaniel sounded doubtful. “I know back in Kentucky, there’s more than one podunk town that would consider Jesus too liberal.”

“Say what? You people need to get your shit together, boy.” Once again, Aja did not mince words.

“Oh, yeah. As difficult as revamping the Supreme Court or more so.” CJ looked at Rod and Taisha and grinned. “The two of you may regret moving in next door.”

Taisha cocked an eyebrow at him. “And why’s that?”

“Because of how I plan to go about it. Owen and I have celebrity status right now, and I don’t plan on letting it die down. With him being part of the plan whenever he wants, I’ll do interviews, I’m going to write a book about Mexico, then I’ll do a speaking tour when it comes out.

“We want to have regular dinner parties like this, invite some power brokers from time to time, and pick their brains. I’m going to campaign for candidates this year and in 2024. If Biden wins again, I may consider a job at the White House. Either way, y’all may get tired of seeing me on all sorts of media.”

Copyright © 2022 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 54
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
My thanks to Reader1810 for her assistance and to all of you for reading. Your reactions are welcome and appreciated.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..