Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 600 Words
  • 8,967 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt's for 2018 - 3. You should have seen me...

Written for @Cia's Idiom's are real game.
My idiom was - Drink like a fish

“You should have seen me.” Belus spread his arms almost losing his balance on the table he was standing on. “There I was surrounded by no less than five mer-guards. I’d already lost my sword and all I had was a short dagger to fend them off with.

“I feinted to the left.” He suited action to words and knocked someone’s ale over. “But, the one in front of me anticipated it and knocked me down. I got a knee ree to hit him, flipped him off me and got up, just in time to catch another jumping at me. We went back and force with the other four watching and calling out jeers.”

By this time the crowd was laughing at his antics and Belus was jumping from table to table. The tavern was full and Belus was staggering more and more as men plied him with drink to keep his entertaining tales coming.

“I barely escaped with my life and swam back down to the deep caverns to hide out and catch my breath. After I was sure they’d lost interest, I swam back up to try again at getting to the treasure. I got further this time. I got inside the treasure cave.” Belus dropped to a knee in front of a nearby man. “There were piles of gems everywhere. Of every color and size. There were holes in the cave ceiling and light was filtering down and shining on all the walls. Colors blended together to make new ones making a beautiful sight to behold. The lights fell directly onto a throne set in the center of the room. Unfortunately, it was then I realized that the throne was occupied.” Belus made an exaggerated sad face and the crowd laughed. “And that, my friends, is the end of my heroic tale, I ended my adventure in an underwater cell.”

The crowd roared with laughter and Belus slumped onto a bench with another cup of ale.

“How do you come up with all these tales?” one man asked.

Belus smiled. “They’re all the truth. I don’t have to make anything up.”

The man snorted. “Yeah, right, you’re a merman, and you swam to the bottom of the sea to fight with mer-guards? How did you breathe?”

“Like any other sea creature does.”

The man shook his head in disbelief and moved away muttering about crazy storytellers.

Closing came and Belus stumbled out with the other revelers. After making sure he wasn’t being flowed he headed down to the sea and waded in until he was able to dive under the cold waves.

Belus allowed his shift to take him and sighed in relief when the salt water started to soak into his skin and gills.

Soon all the alcohol was purged from his system and he felt ten times better. He swam for a while longer and then headed for home.

“Hey, dad,” He called as he floated into the entrance of a cave.

“In here, son.”

Belus followed the voice until he came into a large cavern and had to shade his eyes against the glare. Reds, oranges, and greens reflected back and force over the walls.

Once his eyes adjusted he lowered his hand and grinned at his father sitting on the largest chair in the room.

“So.” Poseidon smiled as he spoke. “How was your trip inland, my son.”

Belus made himself comfortable on a pile of soft cushions and helped himself to a cup of wine on a nearby table. “You should have seen me. There I was surrounded by men….”

The information I used to write this was

Quote
Only saltwater fish drink. Their gills process the water and take out the salt.
Copyright © 2018 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 5
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

Great Cazzie! Didnt know that about saltwater fish! 

 

Thanks timmie :hug: I didn't know either, Google is a wonderful thing :yes: 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug: 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, BHopper2 said:

I liked your take on the idiom and the interesting tidbit on saltwater fish.

 

Thank you BH :hug: It took a lot of thinking about how to make any sort of scene out of my idiom, but it was a fun exercise :) 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Now that was fun. Then again anything with mythology is going to get my attention. Nice use of the idiom.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, comicfan said:

Now that was fun. Then again anything with mythology is going to get my attention. Nice use of the idiom.

 

Thanks :hug: I was inspired by off site author Lisa Oliver as i was recently reading one of her books :) 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Great job Caz! I love the direction you took. A great world to be introduced to. It’s a good thing @Defiance19 didn’t get this idiom. 🤗 

 

Thanks jp :hug: I'm glad you liked my take on this :) 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Nice play on the idiom.  And an interesting fact about fish.  :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Always a tale to tell when hopping between worlds. Belus knows how to entertain and in the process get entertained. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hey, Caz. I really enjoyed this... it stimulated my writer's imagination... mermen... hmmm... maybe. :)  Like humans, he didn't tell the full story... this temporary tavern Prince. :D  Well done, my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Nice play on the idiom.  And an interesting fact about fish.  :)

 

Thanks Val :hug: I was surprised when i found the fact about fish, but also glad i checked 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug::hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Always a tale to tell when hopping between worlds. Belus knows how to entertain and in the process get entertained. 

 

Yep, I think Belus would always be ready with a story to entertain and amuse his audience. 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting, Puppilull :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Hey, Caz. I really enjoyed this... it stimulated my writer's imagination... mermen... hmmm... maybe. :)  Like humans, he didn't tell the full story... this temporary tavern Prince. :D  Well done, my friend... cheers... Gary....

 

So maybe it will give you an idea for a new story for us hungry birds???  And actually, he told the humans the exact truth, but the truth was so unbelievable they didn't believe him.  That made his stories all the more entertaining to his audience, coz they thought he was at least half crazy and therefore they were willing to listen to his 'crazy' tales. :) 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting, Gary :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Caz Pedroso said:

 

So maybe it will give you an idea for a new story for us hungry birds???  And actually, he told the humans the exact truth, but the truth was so unbelievable they didn't believe him.  That made his stories all the more entertaining to his audience, coz they thought he was at least half crazy and therefore they were willing to listen to his 'crazy' tales. :) 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting, Gary :hug: 

Ah... but he didn't tell them he was the son of Poseidon. :P  And yeah, I was thinking how much fun it would be to write about merman. :D 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This is a great short, caz! Clever idea to introduce a merman as the main character. It brought your idiom to life (literally).

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A delightfully fishy tale , told from the bottom of a long glass with just enough truth for it to be taken as far fetched , your narrator excels in his story telling . 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Headstall said:

Ah... but he didn't tell them he was the son of Poseidon. :P  And yeah, I was thinking how much fun it would be to write about merman. :D 

 

I'll be sure to nag...um...keep an eye out for progress reports. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, MacGreg said:

This is a great short, caz! Clever idea to introduce a merman as the main character. It brought your idiom to life (literally).

 

:thankyou::hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Dolores Esteban said:

A clever take on a difficult theme. I like the charming fantasy world.

 

Thank you Dolores :hug: It took a few attempts on google to find what I wanted in enough detail, but then the idea was obvious. Plus, I was reading a merman story at the time...so. 

 

Thank you for reading and commenting :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, deville said:

A delightfully fishy tale , told from the bottom of a long glass with just enough truth for it to be taken as far fetched , your narrator excels in his story telling . 

 

Thank you Deville, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

 

Thank you for reading and commenting :hug:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This was fun ...  a swashbuckling fish tale ... with a tidbit of truth about fishes at the end.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hehe.  I loved this. Its nice to know that humans aren’t the only ones who  tell tall tales too.. Nice story Caz, and like everyone else, I learnt something new about fish.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, dughlas said:

This was fun ...  a swashbuckling fish tale ... with a tidbit of truth about fishes at the end.

 

Thanks Dugh :hug: I'm glad you enjoyed my fishy tale :P 

 

Thanks for reading and commenting :hug: 

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..