Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,193 Words
  • 1,978 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stephen - 10. Chapter 10

The sleep that followed was disturbing. First, there were people throwing stones at Nohr and myself until Michael appeared, then the dream faded. The next dream was a group of men who were beating us, they were chanting, ‘devil get out.’

I woke up, alone, and in the quiet of the night, I realized it was a nightmare. Falling back to sleep, I saw a man on a cross, he looked lonely, but his eyes were bright with love. Then I knew what was happening. Michael was showing me that I could expect the hatred from those who didn’t believe that God created us all in love. Somehow, I felt better and knew that the love I had for Nohr would stand against those who thought wrongly. I also felt the assurance that what Nohr and I talked about concerning him being away but being true was the truth. For the third time, I fell asleep.

In the morning, I arose early and started my chores. By the time I was finished, Aunty was getting out of bed. I sat at the kitchen table with a cup of tea.

“Good morning Stephan, as soon as you finish the chores, I’ll have breakfast ready.”

“The chores are finished. The milk is in the refrigerator at the barn. Eggs are there except for a dozen I brought here. They are in the refrigerator. There’s tea in the pot, which I just made, so it should still be hot.”

Aunty looked at me, “Did you sleep ok? You must have been up early.”

“I was, so I did the chores. We’ll need to sell the milk. The old girls are really producing.”

“I just sold one can last Tuesday. Usually, it takes ten days to fill a can.”

“Well, I think we should get another can, then we can better schedule deliveries. I put some cream in the refrigerator. I can make butter for you later this morning if you want.”

You can wait till we come back from church. Are you serving today?”

“I’m on schedule, but I’m not sure after I had that talk with Pastor.”

After breakfast, I went to shower and dress for church. I was a little hesitant. I didn’t know what to expect. Deep down, I was afraid this would be a repeat of what happened in the States. Then I saw Nohr, and everything seemed to be ok. I felt Aunty’s hand on my shoulder as Pastor approached us.

“Stephan, I think that you shouldn’t serve today. I need time to prepare people.”

I just nodded my head and was ready to return to the cottage. Aunty took my face between her hands, “No, we’ll go to church. We’ll praise God and thank him for sending us Jesus to teach us the way.”

I looked at Nohr. Pastor must have said something to him as well. I walked over to him, and for some reason, I took his hand and walked into the church. I don’t know why I did that, but it seemed to be the right thing to do. Nohr smiled at me, and he seemed to agree it was right. We sat together with Aunty and his grandparents. The service started, when the procession ended, Pastor looked over the congregation, he stopped when he saw Nohr’s and my family sitting together.

This was communion Sunday, the first Sunday of the month. I wasn’t sure if we should go to the altar rail. I wasn’t given a chance, Aunty took me by the arm, followed by Nohr and his grandparents. I knew that this would probably end poorly for us, and it did. Pastor passed over Nohl and me with the sacraments. I looked up at the cross and saw a man suspended. The church’s cross was just a plain wooden cross. There was no figure attached to it as there is in the Catholic church. But when I looked at the cross, I saw a man there. He had tears in his eyes, and then I saw Michael at the bottom of the cross. Michael came to Nohr and me, and he offered us a piece of bread and a small cup of wine that I shared with Nohr. He smiled, and then he vanished along with the man on the cross. I felt peace, and I felt loved.

After church, we did not shake the Pastor’s hand, but we did spend some time talking with Nohr’s grandparents. I wanted to speak with Nohr and see if he saw what I saw, felt what I felt. When Nohr looked at me, I knew he felt something.

“Why don’t we go to the tavern for lunch?” Aunty and Nohr’s grandparents thought that was a good idea.

While walking there, “Nohr, did you receive communion?”

“Yes, but it wasn’t the Pastor who gave it to me. A young man and he was smiling as he gave me the bread and the cup of wine.”

“Did you look at the cross?”

“Stephan, you won’t believe me, but I thought a man was hanging on the cross. He had tears in his eyes and a sorrowful face.”

“Nohr, I’m going to tell you something, and you will find it hard to believe. You remember me telling you about the time I was in the hospital, and a man named Michael came and saw me. He convinced me that God made me as I am, and He loves me. The man who gave you and me the bread and wine was Michael.”

“Where did he get the bread and wine? It was different from what we had last month.”

“Yes, it was, do you remember the Last Supper that we celebrate at communion? The bread used was unleavened as they were celebrating the Passover. That bread was the same as Passover bread, and the wine was true wine. We had experienced Passover with Michael, and if I’m not mistaken, the man on the cross was Jesus.”

“But how could that be.”

“I think except for the bread and wine, our eyes were seeing what God wanted us to see. Like a mirage or something. Maybe we were so intent on being excused by Pastor, and we felt like Jesus when he was rebuked.”

“You know when I have a little wine at home, I can taste it for a while, but I don’t taste the one I drank in church. Nor do I remember what the bread tasted like.”

“I think our souls were given bread and wine. Michael was able to create the reality that made us think we were taking communion. Last night I prayed to God and asked Michael to help. I had two dreams, one of them was us being stoned and another was of us being beaten with straps. I believe those were lessons that no matter how much we have to endure in pain and suffering, it will bring us closer to God.”

Jesus was with us even as we walked to the tavern for lunch. I felt him in my heart. Nohr put his arm around my shoulder and squeezed me.

 

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 15
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The dreams and the relationship to Jesus its very interesting.I haven't come across a story like this on GA.In the Catholic religion we have communion every Sunday mass and daily mass if you go to a daily mass.Stephan mentioned Communion Sunday does that mean this denomination have Communion once a month?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

The dreams and the relationship to Jesus its very interesting.I haven't come across a story like this on GA.In the Catholic religion we have communion every Sunday mass and daily mass if you go to a daily mass.Stephan mentioned Communion Sunday does that mean this denomination have Communion once a month?

Yes, a lot of non Catholic churches only offer Communion on the first Sunday of the month. The Lutheran Church and the Presbyterian Church I know. Also not all churches offer wine, some substitute grape juice. I doubt you will.  I wanted to show that being gay does not outlaw you from the Church. You are quite perceptive. I'm glad you are reading my story. When you have read a few, and I hope you will, you will get an insight into my psychic 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, BigBen said:

See

That's a common Protestant custom.  The idea is not to cheapen the Eucharist by doing it too often.  I suspect that this accompanies a low-church, non-sacramental way of thinking, much like the Baptist church I attended as a child.  I have since become an Episcopalian, and when I first attended an actual Mass, it was an extremely powerful experience.  I was blown away.  My experience is that when it is possible to receive Communion daily, it enhances the experience, it does not "cheapen" it.

I agree with BigBen

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I am really enjoying seeing Stephen growing as a person and gaining self confidence! Thanks. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Really the pastor is acting outside the bounds of his office.

The Danish Lutheran Church is a government body. Although they have ten bishops, there is no archbishop  no constitution, and the bishops have no authority as a ruling body. Their titular boss is the Danish parliament. The church ordains gays and performs gay marriages. Denmark was the first country in the world to pass a law on same sex partnerships way back in 1989. Truly a trailblazer for LGBTQ rights.

Overall though, their private communion was beautiful.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..