Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,117 Words
  • 3,218 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stephen - 2. Chapter 2

I was in the hospital for another five weeks. My broken bones had healed but the doctors were still concerned about my head injury. I don't know how many MRI's I had.

“Stephan, we're going to discharge you tomorrow after rounds. Except for your eyesight, you seem to have mended very well. You'll need to wear corrective lens, probably for the rest of your life.”

“Where will I go when I'm discharged? I have no home”

“We got in touch with the Danish consulate concerning your mother's sister. Your dad gave us some papers, and with the help of the Danish consulate, we have contacted your aunt. She needs to make arrangements to come to the States, until she does, you'll live at the Danish consulate. During this time, you'll learn the language so you can attend school in Denmark.”

And so, my fate was decided. I wanted to tell Michael what was happening, but I knew that he and I wouldn't meet again. That night as I slept, I heard a whisper, ‘Remember, God loves you.’ I woke up thinking that Michael was here, but he wasn’t, except I knew that he was the one that whispered into my ear that night. The next morning, a man from the Danish consulate came into my room with a set of clothes for me. An orderly came and helped me to the showers, then helped me dress.

“Wait here while I get the chair.” At first I didn't understand why he was getting a chair, there was one in the room. When he wheeled in a wheelchair, then I understood.

“I can walk.”

“No, its hospital policy that you be wheeled out of the hospital, so hop on for a final ride.”

I was helped into a car that was waiting for us. The gentleman from the consulate introduced himself as John. The ride to the airport was quiet.
Arriving at the airport, “You'll be staying at our embassy in Washington. They have your accommodations all set, that's where your aunt will meet you in three or four days.”

I had never flown before, so it was an exciting trip for me. I hoped my dad had enough money to cover all of this. Inwardly I smiled at that. The ride was short, it seemed we no sooner got to altitude before we began to prepare for landing.

Taking off in a plane is one thing, but landing is something else. Think about going down and crashing, then the bump when the wheels touch the ground. When we left the plane, there was a limo waiting with Danish flags in the front of each headlight. John took me by the arm and guided me toward the limo.

On the ride to the embassy, John pointed out the various tourist sights. We drove pass the White House, Congress and the Washington monument.

“When you have time before you leave for Denmark, you can spend some time here visiting your history.”

“I think I'd enjoy that.”

Arriving at the Embassy, there was a young lady waiting for us. John introduced us and she asked that I follow her. She took me to a room and indicated that this is where I'll sleep while I am at the Embassy, then she showed me the dining room and a TV room. Before leaving, she handed me a portfolio which had my schedule.

Realizing that dinner was soon to be served, I went to my room to wash and realized the only clothes I had, I was wearing. I didn't know what to do, these clothes weren't appropriate for dinner at an Embassy. When it came time to go to the dining room, I just sat in my room. I must have sat there for about an hour, when there was a knock on my door. Opening the door, John was standing there.

"Why didn't you come to dinner?”

"These are the only clothes I have. I didn't think it would be appropriate to come to the dining room in jeans and sneakers.”

John began to laugh, walking to a door, he slid it open, “look". I did and began to laugh. The closet had clothes that were my size. "Get dressed and come to the dining room.”

I quickly dressed and headed for the dining room. When I entered, John handed me a glass, ‘Coke’. He stood by my side the rest of the evening. He introduced me to the Embassy staff and the Ambassador. I don't know what they knew about me except my aunt was coming to take me back to her home. For a fifteen year old kid, I was way over my head. Dinner was nice, I watched John and pretty much followed what he did. There was no way I’d know which utensil to use, I grew up with a fork, knife, and spoon. John kept looking at me and when they would served me, he quietly indicated which utensil I was to use. I smiled back at him to say thanks.

The next day, started my lessons. I had Danish history and language for two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. Lunch wasn't as formal as dinner, but I watched as the other staff ate.

My aunt arrived two weeks later and not in three days. There were specific papers that needed to be signed to give her custodial rights. My father decided this was the time to balk at releasing me. It seemed he wanted her to buy me or to pay for my hospital expenses. He forgot about the papers he signed when I was first admitted to the hospital. Her lawyer found those papers, that was all it took. Going before the judge, she was granted not only custodial rights but she effectively adopted me.

When I saw her for the first time, I was shocked. She looked so much like my mother that for a quick moment, I thought my mother had returned. She had a smile on her face. I had tears in my eyes. Holding out her arms to me, I gave her a hug as if my life depended on it. Looking over her shoulder, I thought I saw Michael smiling at me.

For the next few days, we sat and talked. I still had my studies but now we only talked in Danish. I was amazed at how fast I was picking it up. When I didn't know a word, I’d say it in English, she would say it in Danish. At night, I thanked God for sending Michael to me and I was thankful I had accepted to live than die.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm really liking this story.He has to go to another country because his dad kicked him out for maybe being gay.Boggles the mind.Thankfully his Aunt seems to be a good person.

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter. Thankfully the Aunt seems a good person, as the father kicked him out for being gay. He has to leave America and go to Denmark.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I enjoyed the beginning of this story! I am curious to see how things go for Stephen in Denmark. I visited there once many years ago. I remember the country being beautiful and the people very friendly. Thanks. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I'm wondering if Stephen, for some reason, already held dual citizenship without knowing it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

In order for someone to hold dual citizenship one parent or the other must be a citizen of the other country. We know Stephen's father did not, so it depends upon where his mother was born.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..