Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,086 Words
  • 2,298 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stephen - 23. Chapter 23

I didn't feel like getting up the next morning but the girls needed me. Lukas hit the chickens with his egg basket. I reminded him we had enough peeps and be sure to get all the eggs. The girls were waiting. I had built a third milking stall for Sally. You milk in the order of rank, so Betsy was first. I really didn't feel like singing but the girls looked at me and started to moo. So I started to sing and soon I was into it. If someone happened to walk by they would have had me committed. We were now selling four milk cans every week. Rotating the pastures provided plenty of fresh grass, I also sowed more grass seed when the pasture was idle.

It didn't take Lukas long to be a farmer. Besides being in charge of the eggs, he helped me clear the pastures of cow paddies. Our vegetable garden was well fertilized and the produce we gathered was more than adequate. I gave quite a bit away to some of my neighbors. And that is how I found my new farm partners.

At the lower end of the village, there was a young man who recently got married. He had no skills except if you need someone to help you, he was your man. The problem was that there was not enough work in the village to provide for him and his wife. His wife helped by taking in sewing and laundry. They were just making it and the vegetables I gave them along with the fish he caught, kept them alive.

"Jennick, I have a deal for you. I'm sure you know I bought that farm next to my farm. I need someone to work that farm. If you would be interested, you could live in that farm house rent- free and any profit from the farm will be split 50-50. What do you say? Oh and we still go fishing on Saturdays.”

I saw his wife turn her head but before she did, I saw a few tears.

"Well, Jennick, what do you say, a simple yes or no will do."

I knew he would say yes ."When can we move in?”

"How soon can you pack up? The house has some furniture, you'll need to see if you want any of your furniture from here."

I left that home feeling pretty good. Jennick was an honest man who didn't get all the breaks in life. But he would now, if he worked hard enough he would be all set for the future.

"What did Jennick say?"

"I think if you look out that window in an hour you'll see him carrying a suitcase."

It took longer, I drove down and help them pack up, it took three trips to get everything they wanted to bring. I watched as they entered the house for the first time. It was a big house with three large bedrooms. The previous owners did a lot of canning and the cellar had rows and rows of canned vegetable which would last them until the garden started to produce.

When they were all moved in, I had them over for dinner. "I checked out the barn, it'll need a little work, especially the roof, it'll need patched. I think we should get a few cows and maybe chickens, you can sell the surplus milk and eggs. That will help with the income. As you get comfortable, we can increase the number of cows, goats, pigs what ever you want.”

"How about a garden?”

"It might be too late for some crops but I'm sure anything below ground would be ok, potatoes for example. There isn't much of a market in the village for vegetables but you can use them for trade, or donate them to those not as fortunate as us."

After dinner we watched them as they walked to their home, hand in hand. "Are you going to teach them to sing to the cows?”

Laughing, "Let's go to bed."

Saturday, Lukas and I went fishing. Nohr was going to get crabs. Soon other boys, Lukas's age, joined us. History does repeat itself. Nohr fired up the crab pot. It looked like it hadn't been used for a while. The salt water from the sea takes its toll.

Lukas pulled in the first fish, I showed him how to clean it and Nohr took the entails and started to catch crabs. Like when we were boys, Nohr was particular, only the big ones went into the pot. We kept fishing. While the boys fished, I helped, doing the cleaning and baiting hooks. In a few hours, the boys had all of the fish they wanted. They really had plenty. A few fathers came to check up on them and it was old home week for Nohr and I. The tales flew as the boys eyes got big, but when one of the dads took a crab and broke it open. His boy's eyes really popped open with that first bite.

A new generation, but the same old ways, "Let's go home Lukas, you have enough fish for a party." We had to eat a few crabs before leaving.

"Dad, that was fun. Did you do that every week when you were a boy?”

"Yes, pretty much, as soon as a few boys showed up the older boys would come and start up the crab pot. That’s what we called it."

“Times don't change much in the village. I think the men fished on Sunday, they would come here with their beer and fish after church. I think you were the first to fish on Saturday and then a few other boys joined us until almost all of the boys came and fished.”

“I remember when we started to catch the crabs. We didn't have the pot then, we would take them home but we had to be careful. If we put them in with the fish, they ate the fish. I'm not sure who found the pot and brought it here, then I don't think our parents ever got crabs again. If you wanted to eat crab, you had to come where we were fishing."

I could see Lukas eyes smiling as Nohr and I were reminiscing. I knew then that the village would be home for me forever. I would be fishing here as an old man, teaching the next generation how to fish and eat crabs.

 
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Time passes and history repeats itself. Fortunately, here most of the history has been good.

No further mention of the intolerant pastor since Auntie and John's wedding. What's become of him?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I certainly hope that pastor is long gone from the village!  Perhaps he learned the error of his ways and repented, or perhaps Michael took him, in which case he's definitely learned the error of his ways! 😁

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Wow 50-50 and a house generous terms.Most people making a proposal like that would go 60-40 or 70-30 plus some other conditions on the house.But Stephen and his history knows he is fortunate.His pay it forward approach I think makes him more of a Christian then the pastor.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Time passes and history repeats itself. Fortunately, here most of the history has been good.

No further mention of the intolerant pastor since Auntie and John's wedding. What's become of him?

the Epilogue will tell 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Wow 50-50 and a house generous terms.Most people making a proposal like that would go 60-40 or 70-30 plus some other conditions on the house.But Stephen and his history knows he is fortunate.His pay it forward approach I think makes him more of a Christian then the pastor.

I thought about that as I wrote this. Since Stephen was influenced by Michael I had to give him a good heart. Michael knows the place will be well cared for by Jennick. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, BigBen said:

I certainly hope that pastor is long gone from the village!  Perhaps he learned the error of his ways and repented, or perhaps Michael took him, in which case he's definitely learned the error of his ways! 😁

I didn't think of that. It would've added another 10 pages to this story. I'll let Michael take care of him 🙂

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Another great chapter! I'm sure things are somewhat idealized, but this story rings true about life in a village. I have lived my adult life in a small town. Although it has grown, and there are some "bad" people, the caring and sharing are often true. Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

Another great chapter! I'm sure things are somewhat idealized, but this story rings true about life in a village. I have lived my adult life in a small town. Although it has grown, and there are some "bad" people, the caring and sharing are often true. Thanks.

I appreciate your comments. I'm glad you are able to relate to it. That always makes a story easier to read. Thanks again for reading my story and your comments. 

ps Michael sends his love

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..