Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,173 Words
  • 2,761 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stephen - 3. Chapter 3

"I have never flown before in such a large plane. The plane that flew me to the embassy was a lot smaller.”

“Are you scared?”

"No, not really, I was a little scared when we took off but I'm ok now.”

"I'm glad. When we get home, I think you'll like living in Denmark."

After lunch I took a nap. Michael again was in my dream, he was smiling and nodding his head in approval. "Stephan, wake up. We need to get ready to land. You don't want to miss this."

I looked out of the window as the ground came closer and closer and then I felt a bump as the plane touched down on the tarmac. I just smiled at my aunt as I looked out the window.

"Gather up you belongings, we'll have to clear customs before we can get your luggage."

Arriving in Denmark was a new experience for me. I had never been outside of the US, and now I was in a new country, which would become my home. I kept looking for something. I wasn't sure what. Everything looked like it could be anywhere in the States except people were talking in a different language. I understood some of what was said, but they were talking too fast for me to understand everything. Clearing customs, picking up our luggage, I followed Aunty to the parking area and her car. After loading the luggage in the trunk, Aunty drove away from the airport. I wasn't sure how far from the airport she lived, but I did enjoy the scenery. We drove through several small villages before we began to turn toward the sea.

"I think you'll like living in Denmark. We live close to the sea. My house isn't large but it's warm and we have plenty of room. You'll have to help me, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.”

She was right. Her house was close to the sea. As we pulled into her driveway, I noticed a few cows in a pasture to the left of the drive way. Behind the pasture there was a barn. I saw some chickens in the field. Now I knew what free range was all about.

Walking into her home, I knew I'd be happy here. Just like my mother, there were plants and pictures on the walls. Several were of two little girls, I knew that one of those girls was my mother. I felt warm, like I was home.

"Stephan, take your luggage to the your bedroom. It's upstairs, the last room on the right."

I took the suitcase and the small carry-on that I had with me on the plane, heading up the stairs to what will be my room. When I opened the bedroom door, I began to cry. The room reminded me so much of my room in the States. The bed was covered in a duvet very similar to the one I had. When you think about it, I should have expected this home to be a reflection of my mother. Two sisters, separated by distance, but still very much influenced by their upbringing. I unpacked my suitcase and thanks to John, I had the picture of my mother that I had in my room back home. This picture was all I had, but in this room, it was enough.

"Stephan, as soon as you unpack, I'll show you around." It didn't take me long to unpack. I did change my clothes.

"I'm glad you changed into more comfortable clothes. I want to show you around and you might get your good clothes dirty.”

I followed her out the back door, there was a garden off to the right. Walking to the left, I saw where the chickens roosted, then we entered the barn. She showed me the cold room, the milking buckets, and the stalls where the cows would be while they were milked.

"Tonight before dinner, we'll have to milk the cows. While we were gone, Mr. Anders from the village milked the cows and picked up the eggs. Now we'll have to do that."

We walked to the sea which was like ten minutes away.

"Can you fish here?”

"Oh yes, do you see that wooden ramp that goes out to the sea? The boys usually fish from there. You'll see tomorrow morning, there will be boys there and then in the evening some of the men. I think I have an old fishing pole in the barn you can use."

I think I'll be happy here. Saying that to myself, I would’ve sworn I heard Michael say ‘God loves you.’ I smiled at my aunt as we walked back to the cottage.

"I'm going to take a nap, please call me when it’s time to milk the cows." My aunt just kissed me on the head, I then went to my room for a nap.

When I awoke, I could hear my aunt talking to someone. "Yes, the trip went very well... I think he'll like it here, so far everything has been positive... I'm sorry about him having to move to another country, but I'm glad he's here....Yes, my sister and I were very close...No, I didn't want her to leave but she fell in love...I'm thankful to her for giving me such a gift... Yes, I'll introduce him to the neighbors at church on Sunday...No, Monday I'll take him to school... Of course you're invited, when will you be here?... OK, just call before and you can have dinner with us... Thanks for calling and take care.”

"Did you sleep well?”

"Yes, the bed is very comfortable. Better than my old bed.”

"That was your mother's bed. When we were little girls, I had the room next to yours and your mother had your room.”

I thought about that. Is that why I slept so well? Is that why the room seem to welcome me? I just smiled at my aunt, in a way to let her know I'm happy to be here.

"Come and I'll show you how to milk the cows."

I followed her to the barn. She showed me how to prepare a warm bucket of sudsy water. I carried the water to the first stall, she opened the barn door to let the cows in. They were standing outside waiting, as if they knew and maybe they did. Who knows what cows think. I watched as each cow moved toward a stall. As the cow put her head through a brace that would allowed them to eat the grass in a trough in front of the brace, Aunty adjusted the brace to hold them.

"They are content to eat while we milk them. The brace holds them so they don't decide to walk away before we’re finished.”

I watched Aunty as she washed the area under the cows, she called it their milk bag, then she washed their teats. Once she was done washing this area, she rinsed the area with clean water. Sitting on a stool, she showed me how to milk a cow.

"Now you need to get another stool and wash the other cow."

I went and got another stool, sitting down I washed the cow as Aunty had done. I couldn't see her, but if I looked under the cow, I could see what she was doing. After washing the cow's milk bag and teats, I tried to do what Aunty was doing but no luck.

"Stephen, make a circle around the teat at the top, squeeze gently, then without relaxing the circle, pull down."

I tried it several times until I saw some milk drip out into the bucket. By this time, Aunty was finished, she let the other cow back out to the pasture.

"Tighten your circle a little more. When you feel that you can't tighten it any more, pull down.” I did as she said, I got a full stream of milk out.

“Now, instead of pulling down, just put your thumb and first finger around the teat. Then roll the other fingers down like this.”

I watched Aunty and then did as she showed me. Soon I was milking away, and my bucket was getting full. When I couldn't get any more milk, Aunty checked and said that was all there was.

"Now we have to do this twice a day, once in the morning and once before supper."

"What happens if we don't do this?”

"Their milk will dry up, then we can't get anymore milk till they have a calf. By doing this each day, we'll have all of the milk we need. Bring your bucket and follow me.”

We walked into the cold room, Aunty opened the large refrigerator and poured our buckets into a stainless steel vat.

"The milk needs to be cooled down or it will go sour. Once it is cooled, we can separate the cream from the milk and make butter or use the cream for cooking.”

"That's a lot of milk. I can't drink that much milk.”

“No, once the milk has cooled, we put it in that can. When it’s full, we sell the milk. You'll see, when it’s full, I'll call a man who will come and pick it up. The same with the extra eggs. Let's go and get cleaned up, we'll go to the village tavern for dinner."

I knew as soon as we entered the tavern, everyone in the village will know Stephan and that he was staying with me. One thing about a small village, gossip travels fast. I knew before long, Stephan will have a lot of friends, he'll be a novelty being from the States.

When we entered the tavern, I never saw so many people come and welcome Aunty back. I saw some of the kids looking at me, a few of the girls smiled at me. I smiled back. A couple of the older boys came over and introduced themselves, I was glad I knew a little Danish. I looked at Aunty, she was smiling. Soon I was dragged to a table with the other kids, then it became impossible for me to remember all of their names. I did remember one boy’s name. He looked older than me. Reminded me of Thor. He was tall, with blond hair and blue eyes. I thought he was very handsome and I wanted to know more about him. All of the girls sat around me. They asked questions, one being will I be living here. I answered that I would be living here with my aunt. Then, did I have a girl friend back home? No, I didn't have a girl friend back home. Why am I living with my aunt? My mother who was my aunt’s sister wanted me to live in Denmark when she died. Then everything got quiet.

I looked over to my aunt who obviously was listening to everything being said at my table. She smiled at me. I smiled back. Then the food came, one thing about teenagers, no matter where you are, food quiets everyone. I wasn't sure what the food was that I ate except it was very good. No hamburgers or pizza, but it was delicious, I really enjoyed it. After dinner, the kids started again. They asked if I was going to go to school here. I said I was and would start as soon as my aunt enrolled me. I had to explain what enrolled meant since I said that in English. Thor understood and just smiled at me. No matter that his name was Nohr, to me he was Thor.

The rest of the evening, everyone talked about school and wanted to know if it was different from the States. There were several questions about the States and what I did for fun. The girls just looked at me and giggled once in a while as they whispered back and forth. Girls are the same the world over, I think, they whisper and giggle.

On the way home, "Did you have fun tonight?”

"Yes, I did but boy the questions. They just kept coming, I felt like a celebrity.”

"In a way you are. You're probably the first person any of these kids have seen from the States. You wait till you start school, there will be a lot of questions from the teachers as well as other students. I listened to some of your discussions, I think you did very well. Stephan, I want you to know one thing, I know you’re gay, and that doesn't bother me at all. I also saw you looking a lot at Nohr, he's a very nice boy. I wouldn't mind you becoming friends with him. He'll help you in learning Danish. In fact from this point on we'll speak nothing but Danish.”

I just smiled at her, as I saw Michael whispering, ‘God is love,’ as we walked by the sea.

 

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You go through customs (to check for illegal/smuggled items) after collecting your luggage, it's passport control before luggage pick up. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter. We see Stephen arriving in Denmark and going to Aunt's place which was close to the sea. They have have cows and chickens. His first visit to the local ta ern he seems settle in quite well, Michael was still around.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It is great to see Stephen settling in so well. I can't wait to see how school goes for him! Thanks. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Paqman said:

You go through customs (to check for illegal/smuggled items) after collecting your luggage, it's passport control before luggage pick up. 

 

my experiences I went through passport control and then through luggage check

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. We see Stephen arriving in Denmark and going to Aunt's place which was close to the sea. They have have cows and chickens. His first visit to the local ta ern he seems settle in quite well, Michael was still around.

I think Michael will always be around

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

It is great to see Stephen settling in so well. I can't wait to see how school goes for him! Thanks. 

🙂

  • Like 4
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

my experiences I went through passport control and then through luggage check

Which is what I said, but in the story you have them going through customs before picking up the luggage. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I learned something.About if you miss milking a cow you have to wait until it has another calf to be able to milk it again.Learning something from a GA story can you imagine that?Must be a small town if all the people in the tavern knew his Aunt and all the kids were fascinated by his presence.Do you know the attitude on gay issues in that country by any chance?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Paqman said:

Which is what I said, but in the story you have them going through customs before picking up the luggage. 

 

true, I did do that. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Stephen has landed in a sedate place, much better than an urban area. It's a big change, but he's adjusting well and his aunt accepts him for who he is, so no problems there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 5/22/2020 at 10:24 AM, weinerdog said:

I learned something.About if you miss milking a cow you have to wait until it has another calf to be able to milk it again.Learning something from a GA story can you imagine that?Must be a small town if all the people in the tavern knew his Aunt and all the kids were fascinated by his presence.Do you know the attitude on gay issues in that country by any chance?

The milk dries up. It is a small town, a village on the coast. In Denmark there are quite a few villages along the coast.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Stephen has landed in a sedate place, much better than an urban area. It's a big change, but he's adjusting well and his aunt accepts him for who he is, so no problems there.

I think some of Europe is more accepting.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

the cow, like every other farm animal, is a creature of habit. As long as they are accustomed to being milked every day, they will line up at the barn door at the same time to get in. In the "milking parlors", a fancy name for for a place to milk cows in the USA, there are several more automatic methods of handling large numbers of cows to be milked. The entrance, for example is up on a higher floor – called the second floor here, but the first floor in Europe and the ramp that leads up to that floor has flat places in because it was established many years ago that a cow would poop right at the top of the ramp into the barn so the flat places in the ramp give her several places to poop rather than on the floor at the milking level.
The cow will walk along until she gets to her usual milking place and if there is another cow in there she will wait until number one moves out. Another example of habit in animals.
As soon as she moves into the stall she will start to eat the grain that is in the bin in front of her, that grain has been blown into the feed bin by air pressure and is a measured amount.
There is a hose with warm water there to wash off her udder and paper towels to dry it. Then the milking machine is put on her teats and a mild vacuum will collect the milk in its bucket.
The bucket with milk must be weighed as each cow's annual production is recorded in a computer. The milk is then poured over cooling coils and is piped into a trailer on the floor under the milking level to be hauled off to the bottling plant for pasteurization and packaging.
Finally the milking stall is released and the cow walks out and down to the pasture.
The weighing of the milk is the only time the milk is moved by hand.

After all the cows have been milked the milking parlor is stem cleaned to make sure it is sanitary for the next milking.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..