Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 918 Words
  • 2,383 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stephen - 18. Chapter 18

The summer seemed to past very fast. John and Aunty were married in June and went on a trip to France. She was happy and Pastor did the service with Nohr and I in attendance.

Nohr and I stayed at the cottage while Aunty was away. I still had my chores, but Nohr helped by taking care of the chickens.

"There are a lot of eggs. How many chickens does your aunt have?”

"I really don't know. There were about fifteen when I first came here and then there were peeps and more peeps. I have enlarged the pen twice and suggested that we have chicken a few times a week. Aunty sells the eggs and it’s a good source of income for her.”

"I think we should enlarge the pen again and this time really make it large. You won't be here until the holidays and next summer.”

"We could do that. The ladies have been very productive as well. I think Aunty should get another cow. Betsy and Rosy are giving their all, but another cow would help with the income."

Over the week, we double the chicken pen. "How long do you think before we'll have to increase the pen again?”

"I hope not for another year. Now we have to see about another cow."

"Ask the man who buys your milk. He may have an idea of where you can get another cow. You will also need more feed if you get another cow.”

“There's that field on the other side of the barn. I don't think anything is planted there. Maybe we could divide the pasture into two parts, then rotate the cows through them.”

"That would help, but what about water?"

"We could extend the water trough into the new pasture. Then the cows will have water regardless of the field they are in."

For the rest of the week we concentrated on fencing in the new pasture. We didn't finish by the time Aunty and John returned. They wanted to know what we were doing, I told Aunty about buying another cow and the need to have another pasture unless we were going to buy feed. John though that was a good idea so Aunty bought in.

The next morning as I went to get the girls for milking, I saw a few men working in the new pasture. They were digging post holes.

Just then John came, "Who are those men?”

“They're from the village. I hired them to fence in the new pasture. You boys did a good job but you need to get ready for school. Let the men do the job, it keeps them busy and gives them some money.”

"Maybe we should think about have two more milk cows.”

“Let's just think of one for now. Maybe next summer, if all goes well.”

"You ready for your milking lesson?”

"I guess lead on."

I showed John how to wash the teats, how to milk and then I began to sing to the cows. Of course, they had to join in with their mooing, I thought John was going to fall off the stool when he began to laugh. But the buckets were getting full. I think Aunty is going to need larger buckets. When the milking was done, I hugged each cow and got a face lick while doing it.

"Stephan, I never would have believed this if I didn't see it myself. You actually sing to them and they sing along with you.”

"Yes, they feel special because they are special. All animals can feel love, some more than others, but they all can. Let's go and put this milk in the cooling tank."

Once the bucket were emptied into the cooling tank, I showed John how we clean them and to get them ready for the second milking at night. As soon as we got in the house, John had to tell Aunty all about the singing and the kissing the cows gave me. I just smiled as I washed my hands for breakfast.

"I forgot to get the eggs. I'll be right back."

I took a large basket and began to collect eggs, a few hens didn't want to move, but they did when I lifted them and took the eggs. I was not ready for more peeps. Filling the cooler with the eggs, I took some back to the house.

“Aunty, we need more cartons for the eggs. The chickens are doing a great job of filling up the cooler.”

"I'll call Villium to come and get them as well as the milk. I probably should get a few more milk cans as well as egg crates. John, you’ll have your work cut out for you."

"Aunty, you know when John is away, you can hire some of the boys from the village to help you. Most of them know how to milk, at least goats. John will have to teach them how to sing."

Saying that I began to laugh. Aunty did hire a few of the boys who were going to enter Secondary School in the fall. I suggested she hire Jeppe to take care of the chickens. I knew that his family were just making do and depended on the fish to stretch their budget.

Over the next few month of summer, I taught the boys to sing to the cows and Jeppe to take care for the chickens. Aunty and John were around to oversee everything.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It all seems to be falling into place for Stephan.  Hopefully this isn't just calm before a storm...

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Stephan has been a positive influence on every life he has touched. If only more lived this way.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Stephan has been a positive influence on every life he has touched. If only more lived this way.

Stephan is a wise old man in a teenaged body. And to tell the truth, not all that many people are that wise at any age. 😃

  • Like 4
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, BigBen said:

Stephan is a wise old man in a teenaged body. And to tell the truth, not all that many people are that wise at any age. 😃

Maybe it is a reflection of what an old man would have liked to have seen

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Stephen really has a head for business.I glad Jeppe got a job

Jeppe is a good person and I'm glad he knows Stephen

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Stephan has been a positive influence on every life he has touched. If only more lived this way.

I agree.  I think more would if they didn't have to battle prejudices

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Brokenbind said:

It all seems to be falling into place for Stephan.  Hopefully this isn't just calm before a storm...

 

With hope and love, STEPHAN can handle a storm, if one comes

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, tagwolf said:

Please sir can we have another chapter please

Yes, there are a few more chapters. I have been posting two per day. 8 am and 8 pm. I'm glad you are enjoying Stephen and Nohr

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Yes, there are a few more chapters. I have been posting two per day. 8 am and 8 pm. I'm glad you are enjoying Stephen and Nohr

You’ve written some really awesome characters and I am absolutely loving your story

side note especially since my name is Stephen😊😊

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm liking the story but for the fact that I know little about Nohr as a person. It's like he has no personality or anything.  I loved the trajectory of this chapter, however.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, tagwolf said:

You’ve written some really awesome characters and I am absolutely loving your story

side note especially since my name is Stephen😊😊

🙂 Well then, hello Stephen. I'm glad you are enjoying this story

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..