Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,765 Words
  • 3,133 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boy by The Lake - 10. Chapter 10

The boys sat in the back while they discussed everything there were going to do when the Italians arrived. We had to go into the city, there were museums, musicals, the zoo and watching some sport events. I was glad we lived near the city, we were about 4 hours away.

“Uncle Jeff, should we plan on staying in the city while we show everyone around?”

“We could do that. You need to plan an itinerary to be sure you get everything you want to show them. Be sure to get a few extra flash drives.”

Arriving at the airport, the boys rushed to the exit ramp. You could tell they were fidgety and excited. Ron saw Angelo, he yelled and waved. Both boys looked and smiled, they had to get their luggage through customs. I waved to Maria and Pietro, indicating I would meet them when they exited customs.

The boys came out first, it was as if they were brothers and hadn’t seen each other for a long time, less than 6 months. I hugged Pietro and gave Maria a kiss on the cheek.

“Jeff, you didn’t tell me the tickets were first class. I insisted at the gate there was a mistake. The gate agent said there wasn’t and for us to enjoy the flight. The boys thought the lounge was very cool. Already they are picking up American words.”

“I’m sure when the boys wrote they included a lot of their local words.”

Pietro rode in the front. Maria and the boys crowded in the 2nd and third seats. I bought this car when Clair was alive. I needed the space for when we went shopping or on vacation. The noise level was too high to hold a conversation but we’d be home in a few minutes.

On arriving home, the boys took over. Taking the luggage to the guest rooms, I started the coffee. I had picked up a few small pastries and set them out. When every one joined us, that is Pietro and Maria, the boys headed to the study. I poured the coffee and more or less outlined the next few days for them. Maria wanted to go shopping, I said I’d take her in the morning, Pietro wanted to see Vincitore’s brother, I said I’d take him while Maria shopped. I could tell Pietro and Maria were tired from the flight. I bade them good night, “Boys, we are going to bed.”

Roberto and Angelo said me too, and headed for their bedroom. Ron and Toby had what was left of the coffee and pastries. We watched a little TV together then I decided to turn in as well. “Lock up boys before going to bed. Ron I guess you’ll have to sleep on the floor.” I saw the look in his eyes, chuckled to myself as I went upstairs to my room.

I was glad that Pietro and his family came to spend time with us. Clair liked Pietro, she thought he was very handsome and very polite. I never worried about Clair, I knew she would never leave me, we were too much in love.

The following morning, I took my morning walk, joined by Pietro. I introduced him to Richard and showed Pietro where I found Toby. He found it hard to believe parents would cause their child to consider such a drastic decision. “Maria and I would never turn our backs on our sons. It isn’t even possible to think that would ever happen.”

“I found it hard to believe as well. Toby has turned out to be a joy to me and has caused me to start living again. Clair and I never had children, she couldn’t, so we lived a full life together. I know if she was still alive, she would be thrilled with Toby.”

“You never thought about adopting?”

“We did consider it, but Clair said she was happy as we were. Now that I think about it, I’m sure she had another reason for not adopting. I’ll never find out now. I walk here early in the morning just to see the sunrise. It helps set my mood for the day.”

After I introduced Pietro to Richard, they talked a little but I wasn’t paying attention. I was focused on the lake, my mind was back to the morning I found Toby, was our meeting supposed to happen or was it just happenstance. I guess I’ll never know in this life maybe a lot of my questions will be answered in the next life.

I was surprised when we returned home, Maria had breakfast ready. The boys weren’t up yet but by the time we sat down for our breakfast, they joined us. “I wanted to sleep a little longer but the smell of the food, I couldn’t resist and had to get up. Maybe Maria and Pietro could move here and then we’d have her good cooking every day.”

“So you don’t like my cooking?”

“Yes, I do, but this is like family.”

I always knew that in the back of Toby’s mind he was hurt from what his family did. The idea of being part of a family again was a reminder of what he lost. “Yes, this is like an extended family. We need to enjoy it while we can and I suspect we’ll see a lot more of our extended family in the future.”

I felt his pain but there was nothing I could do to erase that pain. I’d work to make it less, but I realized it would always be there.

The time seem to flow fast. We did go to the city, spent several days there. Toby and Ron were just as excited as Roberto and Angelo. We saw a play, toured the city, shopped and ate at well known restaurants and cafes. All in all, we were glad to get back home.

Christmas Eve we went to church. It was Pietro’s family custom and so we went along with it. I realized that going to church was something I missed since Clair was gone. Many of our old friends came up to me and chatted, the Priest was surprised to see me. I introduced Pietro and his family as well as Ron and Toby. It was a pleasant experience and I decided I’d go again. I wasn’t sure about Toby as I was sure the church his parents went to wasn’t a loving church, hell and brimstone probably more like it.

Christmas dinner, was a special day. I invited Ron’s parents as I knew Ron would want to stay. Maria, Grace and I did the cooking, well they cook, I just showed them where things were. I did open the wine and we all had a sample before dinner. Al, Ron’s dad wanted to know where he could buy this wine. He said the bottle I gave him lasted three days, “It was so good I only had small glasses to make it last.”

Dinner over, we exchange gifts, Santa Claus came. I got the boys a bracelet with their names engraved on the inside. Roberto, Angelo and Ron thanked me, I got a hug from a teary eyed Toby. I got a gift for Maria, Pietro, Grace and Al, as well.

New Years was a night of celebration, we stayed up to watch the ball drop, nibbled on cheese and crackers, drank wine and by 12:30 we were ready for bed. Al and Grace stayed over, the boys all slept in the same room, on the floor as we later discovered.

 

The boys had tears in their eyes as they said farewell to Pietro’s family. I assured them that we would see them again, they were our extended family now. School resumed and so did our lives, there’s a lot to be said about routine, it makes one feel stable. But as time moves, so do our lives.

The boys graduated from high school and now decisions had to be made about college. Their advisor at the high school had information on several universities and their primary strengths. I never thought about that but evidently some schools are known for one career more than another, all though they were all considered to be excellent schools. I wanted to know in what direction the boys would take.

The last week of school, “Toby, have you thought about what you would like to study at the university? I remember you said engineering one time.”

“Yes but now, I think I’d like to be a psychiatrist or psychologist. Maybe I can help some boy or girl who had to face what I did to come and realize their feelings aren’t wrong.”

I smiled so engineering was forgotten. “Has Ron made any determinations?”

“Yes, we talked it over and he wants to be a doctor.”

“Have you decided on a school?”

“Yes, but the tuition is pretty high. I know that I have the trust which will pay for mine but I’m not sure if Ron has that kind of money”

“Maybe there’s a scholarship for which he could qualify.”

“Do I have enough money to pay for both of us?”

“Probably but in the long run I think Ron should do this on his own, it would be better. If you paid for him, then he might think he owes you. That isn’t a good attitude in a relationship. You may have a disagreement and he’ll be obliged to go along with you. In time, that could cause resentment. I think there must be a scholarship available for him, probably through the medical community.” I knew if there wasn’t, there would be. What or who else do I have to spend my money on.

Graduation gift was another European trip. This year we toured France, Spain and ended up in Italy. We had to have Roberto and Angelo with us. On this trip, we found out that Roberto had a girl friend and they were quite serious.

“Pietro, you know Clair has a foundation to award scholarships to deserving students. I think Roberto might qualify. Does he have any intention to go to University?”

“He’d like to go Jeff, but our money is limited.”

“What would he like to study?”

“He said if he could go to the university, he would want to be a teacher.”

“Have him fill out this application and I’ll submit it to Clair’s foundation and see what they can do.” I knew what they would do, I was the administrator of her foundation.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

19 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

Jeff did what should be done.

As any honorable person would do. Over the years, Jeff has grown quite fond on the boys. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Excellent chapter, this is really a great emotional story , it keeps tugging on the heart strings, so all the kids can go to varsity. they will all have a better life than their parents

I do admit, I had a few tears when I wrote it and when I read it. Such generosity from Jeff. I man with a big heart. I'm glad you are enjoying this story.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

While it was the the right move that they another way to fund Ron's tuition it really showed how Toby feels about Ron.Also how Jeff's influence rubbed off on him

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Excellent chapter, this is really a great emotional story , it keeps tugging on the heart strings, so all the kids can go to varsity. they will all have a better life than their parents

Well Toby for sure. Ron has loving and accepting parents 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

While it was the the right move that they another way to fund Ron's tuition it really showed how Toby feels about Ron.Also how Jeff's influence rubbed off on him

I think Jeff just brought to fore the kind of boy/man/ Toby is and will be.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Yet another heartwarming chapter that is full of emotions and love.  I'm really enjoying this story and look forward to more-more-more!!  Thanks again CLJobe!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Just now, KayDeeMac said:

Yet another heartwarming chapter that is full of emotions and love.  I'm really enjoying this story and look forward to more-more-more!!  Thanks again CLJobe!

You're welcome. I'm really glad you are enjoying this story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter, our boys are growing up

Yes and for Toby being in a safe place, has worked the miracle of love and acceptance 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Toby and Jeff are both learning from each other. You can already see Toby will be an amazing man himself.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

College already? It feels like they have only just moved in? (I know, but it seems as if he has as well...)

Does this mean Jeff will be alone again?

Education is SO important - knowledge is power, as they say.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Buz said:

College already? It feels like they have only just moved in? (I know, but it seems as if he has as well...)

Does this mean Jeff will be alone again?

Education is SO important - knowledge is power, as they say.

 

At least for a little while. The boys will be home for the holidays and school breaks. This would be normal, boys in college normally stay at the college, taking breaks at home. Unless the University is within short traveling distance from home. I stayed at home, my University was within 30 minutes of my home. Most of the time I rode with my dad as he went to work.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This story just continues to get better and better!  It's great that Toby and Ron have their wonderful friends across the Pond.  I wonder if Toby and Ron have enlightened Roberto and Angelo as to their sexual preference?  I know that In some foreign countries, homosexuality is considered taboo and scorned but in some of the European countries it's just an acceptable and alternative lifestyle.  Europe is decades ahead of the United States in the acceptance of LGBT people.

When Stephen Gately, a former member of the very popular Irish boyband Boyzone came out as gay it never affected the band's popularity.  He passed at a very young age, 33, and his funeral in Ireland was the largest funeral ever witnessed in Ireland.  Now on to Chapter 11.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! It was very nice to have the Italian extended family visiting for the holidays. Career planning and University applications are the order of the day, within financial concerns being a factor for Ron and Roberto. Jeff using the foundation he set up to honor Clair to offer scholarships should solve their problems. This chapter was very emotional and the rescue of Toby continues to make Toby, Ron and Jeff wonder what force motivated Jeff to take his walk earlier than normal. I sincerely believe that Clair knew how Jeff was shutting down and she saw a solution and pushed him forward. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter!  😃❤️

Edited by flesco
  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, flesco said:

Outstanding chapter! It was very nice to have the Italian extended family visiting for the holidays. Career planning and University applications are the order of the day, within financial concerns being a factor for Ron and Roberto. Jeff using the foundation he set up to honor Clair to offer scholarships should solve their problems. This chapter was very emotional and the rescue of Toby continues to make Toby, Ron and Jeff wonder what force motivated Jeff to take his walk earlier than normal. I sincerely believe that Clair knew how Jeff was shutting down and she saw a solution and pushed him forward. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter!  😃❤️

I thought the same thing. I'm sure Clair was looking out for Jeff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Doug Spencer said:

This story just continues to get better and better!  It's great that Toby and Ron have their wonderful friends across the Pond.  I wonder if Toby and Ron have enlightened Roberto and Angelo as to their sexual preference?  I know that In some foreign countries, homosexuality is considered taboo and scorned but in some of the European countries it's just an acceptable and alternative lifestyle.  Europe is decades ahead of the United States in the acceptance of LGBT people.

When Stephen Gately, a former member of the very popular Irish boyband Boyzone came out as gay it never affected the band's popularity.  He passed at a very young age, 33, and his funeral in Ireland was the largest funeral ever witnessed in Ireland.  Now on to Chapter 11.

You are right about acceptance of gay people in Europe. I believe Holland was the first country to recognize gay marriage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..