Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,411 Words
  • 3,381 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boy by The Lake - 2. Chapter 2

I woke at my usual time and dressed for my walk. As I neared the lake, I looked where Toby was standing. The space was empty and the sun began to rise as usual. It was a glorious sight and I knew it would be a good day.

Arriving back home Toby was still in bed. I brought in some logs and poked the fire to life. Then I addressed breakfast, this morning we’d have pancakes with bacon. I had the coffee on and I think that was the smell that brought Toby to life. He entered the kitchen in his bathrobe and slippers. My thoughts immediately flooded to Clair, that was the way she dressed when she came to breakfast. In our travels, she always insisted we have breakfast in our hotel room for that reason.

“Good morning, do you want coffee or hot chocolate?”

“Coffee is okay. Can you fix it like you did yesterday?”

“How about I show you? If you’re going to live here you’ll need to help yourself.” I showed him how I fixed his coffee, “In Europe, this is called Cafe au Lait. Which means coffee with milk. only the milk is heated and its about half coffee and half milk. The coffee is very strong, like espresso. You’d like that, maybe we’ll get an espresso machine. Clair and I talked about it, but never got around to getting one.”

“Tell me about Clair.”

"She was the love of my life. You’ll know when you meet the right one. It seemed for me, the sun rose with her and set with her. We had a lot of fun, touring all over the world. I miss her, but knowing she isn’t in pain anymore helps.”

“Is she the woman in the painting over the fire place ?”

“Yes, we would sit in front of the fire on cold days, she would be reading her legal briefs, I would read the latest stock market and the corresponding reviews. Every once in a while we’d look at each other, smile and whisper ‘I love you’. I miss her terribly but I know we’ll be united again someday.”

“I hope I’ll find someone to love like that.”

“I do also.”

I went back to making pancakes and told Toby how to make his coffee. We smiled at each other, amazingly after one day, we were very comfortable with each other. I guess I forgot how much a teenager can eat. I thought I made enough batter for tomorrow’s breakfast as well. Never happened, that boy could really eat.

After cleaning up from breakfast, Toby went to dress for the day. I went to my office and called James Steven a lawyer that worked with Clair. We agreed he’d join us for lunch at my home.

When Toby came back down after being dressed, I asked him to come with me to my office. “Toby, I’m having my lawyer stopping here for lunch today. I need some information from you so let’s start. Home address, birth date, mother and father's names, school you are attending and of course why you are here. I hope you’ll like it here, but if you don’t, you need to tell Mr. Steven. You’ll be meeting with him alone. When you meet him, give him this dollar. That makes him your attorney.”

Toby went to Clair’s office. I started to contact the various clients that hadn’t switched to a different investment adviser. They were glad to hear I was back in the business and when I told them the value of their portfolio, they were very glad I had called them. I told them I’d be working out of my office at my home from now on, I gave them my address and phone number.

I reviewed their portfolio with them during our phone call so it wasn’t surprising to me when James showed up. I hadn’t started lunch yet but I was hoping the time he’d spend with Toby would give me a chance to prepare lunch. I remembered Clair’s favorite lunch and since she has been on my mind lately, I sat about preparing a seafood salad to be served on crisp lettuce leaves. I knew that wouldn’t be enough for Toby, so I also prepared several types of sandwiches of which grilled cheese with tomato and onion was one of my selections. A fresh pot of coffee and I was all set. I went and knocked on the door and asked them if they were ready for a break and lunch. Toby being a teenager answered, “We’ll be right there.”

I had everything out on the table when they arrived in the kitchen. “Toby, you can make your coffee or there’s milk and fruit juices in the fridge.” He opted for a glass of milk. We chatted about business, I told James I decided to go back into business. “I have a lot of time on my hands now and I think Clair would approved.”

“I think she would also. She was a big loss to the firm, even after she retired, she still consulted. I know you must miss her terribly.”

“I do, but we had so many wonderful memories, those I’ll never forget. They keep her, in a way, alive for me. And now I may have Toby to share an old man’s life for a little while.”

“Toby and I talked abut him staying here. You’d need to be appointed guardian, I think we could have that done rather quickly. The problem may be getting the release from his family. Toby, I didn’t ask you this, but do your parents know about your trust fund?”

“I don’t think so. They never mentioned it and I didn’t know about it until Uncle Jeff told me.” Uncle Jeff, I like that. I smiled at Toby and gave him a wink.

“Toby needs to go home and get his clothes and school books. Can you arrange that?

“I’ll hire a small truck and contact one of my clients who works for the police to accompany you when you go to visit Toby’s parents. Toby, you need to make a list of what you want besides clothes and books.”

The rest of lunch was small talk. Toby and James went back to finish the paper work. Before James left, we agree we’d try for 11 am tomorrow morning to get his clothes and anything else he had on his list.

Toby had a call to make and I suspect it was to his best friend. “Toby, please don’t discuss your trust fund with anyone. Your grandfather wanted to keep that quiet so I think you should honor his wishes.”

“I haven’t mentioned it to anyone except Mr. Stevens. He said anything I tell him is confidential.”

“That’s fine and he’s right. Did you give him the dollar?”

“Yes, he laughed and said your wife must have taught you something.”

I went to my office, Toby went to Clair’s. If I do end up as his guardian, I’ll have to go in that office and remove Clair’s things so he can use it for studying. I know I’m not going to like doing that, that room is full of memories.

I got so involved in what I was doing I didn’t realize it was past dinner time. “Uncle, would it be okay if I fix myself something to eat?”

“I’m sorry Toby, I got so involved I forgot the time. Suppose we fix dinner together.”

He smiled as he nodded yes and headed to the kitchen. “Toby, there’s lunch meat in the fridge as well as cheese. In the vegetable drawer, there’s lettuce and tomatoes, go for it.”

I fixed myself coffee and took the soup I had made earlier from the fridge. When Toby saw the soup, he asked for a bowl as well. I think I was beginning to realize that my shopping list was going to be enlarged.

That evening we spent reading. Toby found one of Clair’s books and was reading it while I finished the paper.

Laying in bed I thought about how my life was going to change if Toby stays. I smiled to myself when I realized my food larder will be seriously hit but I also thought how nice it’ll be to show Toby the world Clair and I found and enjoyed. I slept confident that Toby would be a part of my world.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 28
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, I am glad that they are getting all the legal parts in place , I wonder what the parents are going to do , 

I'm sure they won't like it,. especially when they see they will have to pay. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

While Toby now seems to be in a good place I'll bet that some counselling would help so that this episode in his life doesn't cause him problems later. 

I'm enjoying the read, but then I like your stories and the way you tell them.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

While Toby now seems to be in a good place I'll bet that some counselling would help so that this episode in his life doesn't cause him problems later. 

I'm enjoying the read, but then I like your stories and the way you tell them.

It is a shame he only posts  twice a day, ain't it?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Things are looking up for Toby, hopefully with the help of the lawyer he'll get his stuff from his parents.

Are you anticipating? He does

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mancunian said:

While Toby now seems to be in a good place I'll bet that some counselling would help so that this episode in his life doesn't cause him problems later. 

I'm enjoying the read, but then I like your stories and the way you tell them.

Thanks. You have set a high standard for me. I hope the future stories earn your expectations

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Things are looking up for Toby, hopefully with the help of the lawyer he'll get his stuff from his parents.

He does, but not willingly. The police help and they still try and make it difficult. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

He does, but not willingly. The police help and they still try and make it difficult. 

No fair giving away the plot of the next chapter, lol!  Now I'm eager to see exactly the nature of the family dynamic (toxic, I'm sure!) and the battle to be had.  May they not find out about the trust fund til much later!

Enjoying it all!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! I’m really enjoying this story, you have taken a mournful widower and a teenage boy at a crucial point and brought them together to bring fulfillment and joy back into their lives. Not very many people in our current society would have even noticed that Toby was in desperate need, since everyone spends so much time looking at their phones while wearing ear buds closing out what is happening right in front of them. Add in the I am sure that some one else will help, I don’t want to be involved mentality and he probably would have frozen to death. I am certain that Clair gave Jeff the needed encouragement to take his walk. Now that Toby has a lawyer, things should move forward quickly to settle guardianship, school and the retrieval of his personal possessions. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 4
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, KayDeeMac said:

Yes, the next chapter will probably be a doozy!!!

Nah, there are no doozies in my chapters, there are mostly gay men, or men who help gays' just fooling around with you. 🤣 Thanks for the comments

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The lawyer is smart to lineup someone from the police to go with them. More than likely it will be ugly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

The lawyer is smart to lineup someone from the police to go with them. More than likely it will be ugly.

guaranteed. I wouldn't be surprise if she even opens the door.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..