Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 4,169 Words
  • 8,390 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tears Of The Neko - 8. Chapter 8

Damien straightened his waistcoat, taking a deep breath to get himself together after the little episode of watching Kayden play in his shaving cream. He hadn't had so much amusement in a long time. The image brought a slight smirk to the corner of his lips, but he quickly tamped it down as he strode down the grand staircase.

He could feel the tenseness emanating from every one of his household servants and slaves on the main level. While they were used to visiting nobility and had always acted with complete propriety, a visit from King Eudon was sending them into a panic. Harrison and Roman appeared dressed in their appropriate formal attire.

"After you have greeted the king, you are welcome to take your leave," Damien assured them.

He watched Harrison tug on his waistcoat nervously. Roman just straightened the cuffs of his sleeves.

One of the nekos who he recognized from the guardhouse raced in, barely breathless. He paused at sight of the three masters already waiting in the foyer. He made a deferential bow, then turned and whispered to Captain Brenner near the door.

"Your Grace," he greeted the Duke, then nodded at Roman and Harrison, assuming the formality of the occasion. "My lords. His majesty has been spotted approaching."

"Very good," Damien nodded, as Geoff dismissed the orange-haired neko. He had the passing thought of how normal the neko was, like Ellis. The hybrids had never seemed much different from their human counterparts, other than the obvious ears, tail, fangs and claws, until Kayden had been thrust into his life.

The Whitmore brothers stood patiently as John Drystan began fussing at servants in the hall, worrying over last minute things. Damien hid a smirk as one of the servants straightened the flowers in the vase for the third time in the few minutes they'd been standing there.

Damien didn't see what the huge fuss was; it was just his uncle. He glanced at Harrison, who looked flushed with nervousness, and he briefly wondered why his brother would be so anxious around their uncle. But then, Harrison hadn't seen as much of their uncle before he'd become king as Damien and Roman had. Being several years younger, Harrison probably hadn't remembered seeing the playful, carefree side of the man that was now their regent.

Damien thought back fondly to visits from Uncle Eudon in his youth. The man was older than their father, putting him in line to be king after their grandfather died. When Eudon had taken the throne over fifteen years ago, his father had become the Grand Duke, and it was assumed that Eudon's children would become the heirs to the throne. Unfortunately, Eudon and Mary had never been blessed with children.

Damien was old enough to remember his uncle before he'd become the king. His father had teased his uncle about not yet having had children, even as he himself already had three. Damien thought that Eudon had often seemed rather upset when his father would tease the elder brother. Even at ten years old, he'd seen the man's hopeful glint when he'd taken Damien and Roman out riding or shooting.

Then his uncle had become king after their grandfather had passed away suddenly of what seemed like heart troubles, and Damien missed his uncles visits. The man had changed. He wasn't the carefree man that had bounced Damien on his knee and told him stories when he was barely walking. His uncle had taken over the task of ruling the kingdom, and with that it seemed came the mask of stoicism and responsibility.

It was the same mask that Damien now wore. Once, Damien had been free to enjoy life, not terribly worried about the task of eventually becoming the Grand Duke after his father passed on. Since their father was had always been so healthy, the thought of taking over the duchy barely crossed his mind. He had loved the ability to go out riding with Harrison or Roman anytime he wanted. Damien and Roman had laughed at Harrison the first time they'd taken him to town and gotten him drunk when he was barely fourteen--a man in the eyes of society, but still a boy in reality. None of the boys worried much about the future, other than enjoying the moment.

Oh, he had studied dutifully with his father when he'd had to. Sometimes irritating his father with his inattentiveness, Damien knew that his father was attempting to groom him to eventually take over bits and pieces as he came of age. But being in his late teens, he wasn't worried about running a province or even just the plantation. He figured he'd have plenty of time to learn it all. Right then all he and his brothers had been consumed with was having fun.

But that had been over five years ago. And Damien didn't find much to laugh about now.

When their parents had been killed at sea five years ago in a vicious storm, Damien's world had come crashing down. Suddenly at twenty, he was the Grand Duke, inheriting his father's title and all the responsibilities that came with it.

He had floundered for several months, relying heavily on his uncle's guidance. With the pressure of his title weighing him down, he suddenly understood why his uncle had changed so much, had seemed so distant, once he became king. Showing emotions was often seen as a sign of being weak. And being such a young Duke, he couldn't afford for anyone to be second-guessing his right to the title.

While Harrison, and even Roman, still had had the ubiquitous fortune to have the chance to enjoy their youth, Damien had grown up hard and fast in that first year after their parents' death.

Damien straightened at the sound of horses and carriages rumbling outside. The staff quickly scrambled to line the foyer, while Damien and his brothers waited at the far end. Captain Brenner opened the front doors with one of the other guards. He swept his gaze over the king's entourage, at the same time as the king's guards eyed them. A few of the red-velveted royal guards stepped inside as the grooms helped the king alight from the elegant carriage.

Damien watched the older man step from the carriage, frowning when the man faltered slightly. He had just been to the king's court a couple weeks ago for legislature. Had the man really seemed that much older?

King Eudon straightened and pulled himself up to his full height. While his hair was sprinkled with gray and the edges of his eyes were crinkled with lines, the man still exuded strength and power as he stepped up the stairs.

Damien saw Geoff bow formally and sweep his arm towards the entrance, inviting the king inside. "Your majesty," he greeted. "Welcome to the home of His Grace, Damien Whitmore, Duke of Marsten and his brothers, the Marquis Roman Whitmore, and the Count Harrison Whitmore."

The staff lining the sides of the grand hall all dropped to one knee reverently. The king nodded regally, accepting their show of respect and strode toward the brothers.

"My dear nephews," King Eudon greeted, as the three brothers bowed their greeting.

"Your majesty," Damien said formally.

"Oh, none of that!" his uncle chastised. "This is not a formal visit. I only wished to offer birthday wishes to the young Duke Whitmore here."

Damien scoffed. "Young?"

His uncle raised his eyebrow. "You are only twenty-five, boy. When you are my age, then you can complain."

The brothers smiled as Damien swept his hand to the side indicating that they adjourn to the privacy of the parlor. After all four nobles were inside, Geoff closed the door and they all knew Captain Brenner as well as the kings' guards would be standing just outside the door.

King Eudon sank into the love seat, stretching out his long legs with a loud sigh.

Harrison stepped over to the side bar and began fetching refreshments for all of them.

"How is your wife, Queen Mary?" Damien asked as he settled into his favorite chair in the parlor.

A sad look passed over his uncle's face. "She is fine," he said, but it was obvious since the queen was not traveling with him that she was perhaps not faring as well as he hoped. "To be honest, and I tell you this only because you are my nephews, she has not been well for several months. The doctors fear she will not survive the next year."

"I'm very sorry to hear that," Damien said softly. "Mary is such a wonderful woman. We will pray for her health."

"Thank you, my boy," King Eudon accepted quietly. Then he cleared his throat, quickly blinking away the morose thoughts of his ailing wife.

"So, how does it feel to be my heir?" Eudon smiled abruptly at Damien, attempting to change the tone of the conversation.

Damien snorted. "Like it felt when father died."

The king frowned. "I know you weren't ready for that and all the responsibilities that came with it, my boy, but you are ready for this."

Damien frowned at the man. "You aren't planning on stepping down or anything are you?"

"Oh, no, no," the king laughed, "I'm just saying that I've known you your whole life, Damien. I've watched you grow and mature into a remarkable young man. And I know when the time comes--"

Damien's eyes narrowed.

"Okay, okay," the king laughed, "if the time comes, you will be more than ready."

Roman laughed as Damien scowled. "I've told him many times that I have no problem taking over for him so he needn't worry about--"

"That would be unacceptable," the king interrupted, and all three brothers looked at the man in shock at the blatant censure. Roman looked like he'd been slapped. The king's brows furrowed as he stared down the Marquis. "I love you, Roman, but I don't believe you have 'grown up' enough to take on such a responsibility."

"What?!" Roman sputtered indignantly. "I'm only a year younger than Damien!"

"Age means nothing," King Eudon waved his hand as if Roman were just an annoyance. "You are still too impetuous. You have trouble controlling your emotions, especially your temper."

Harrison froze where he was approaching with drinks, unsure of what to do as silence hung heavy in the air. If anyone but the king had said such a thing, Roman would probably have them backed up against a wall.

As it was, Roman just clenched his fists, his face reddening with anger.

"I don't mean to offend you, boy," the king said, "but you are simply not ready for such responsibility. You are still very, how shall we say, well, selfish." And when Roman's mouth dropped open to protest, the king waved away his objections. "No, no, do not take it that way. I mean no real harm. You are still young, exploring life, it is expected that you would be somewhat self-centered--you all were; your father spoiled you boys rotten. I spoiled you rotten," he laughed, and Harrison and Damien chuckled. "Damien, here, has just had to grow up faster, than either you or Harrison."

Roman, however, still didn't see the humor in the man calling him self-centered. "I am just as capable as--"

"Roman," Damien warned.

The sandy-haired man snapped his mouth shut, silently fuming, but realizing that perhaps he shouldn't be arguing with the king.

"Perhaps you will be someday," Eudon surmised, "but you are not ready yet. Your temper here just proves my point."

Roman rose stiffly, yanking down his waistcoat. "I believe I have become rather fatigued," he announced suddenly. "If you would excuse me, Your Majesty," he said almost sneering the title, "I will take my leave."

Damien almost jumped up, ready to rebuke his brother for the insult to the king, but their uncle held up his hand to stay Damien's interference.

"I am sorry to have made you so weary," Eudon stated diplomatically. "Please feel free to retire."

With the smallest bow possible, Roman disappeared out the door of the parlor.

Damien released a slow breath. "I must apologize--"

"No, Damien," his uncle interrupted. "Roman is responsible for his own actions. I did perhaps antagonize him a bit, but I said nothing that wasn't the truth. And he needs someone to tell him without censure. He's getting too full of himself."

Damien dropped his head, taking the words to heart. Maybe he did let his brother exercise his authority a little too autocratically.

"You've done what you could for both your brothers after your father's passing, Damien," the king said. "You are not to blame for his actions. He alone is."

Harrison slowly inched his way over, offering his uncle a glass of wine.

"Thank you, my boy," he smiled.

"You both take after your father so much," the king said. "He was such a giving man. Your mother, however...."

Both Damien and Harrison glanced at the floor at the mention of their mother. Both of them knew she had not been the most loving of mothers. She enjoyed being the Duchess of Marsten, but a loving wife and mother she was not. While their father doted on the boys as much as he could, their mother avoided them. She had fulfilled her duty of producing heirs, but she much preferred the power and privilege that her position afforded her.

"Yes, Roman does seem to take after mother," Damien agreed with a sip of his wine.

"She did enjoy a good soiree," Harrison stated.

"I do fear that Roman is a bit too much like her," King Eudon added. "She was power-hungry. That is why she married your father. He was blind at the time to her selfishness."

Both brothers looked saddened by the fact that their father had been locked into an unhappy marriage.

"But," their uncle continued cheerfully, "she did provide him with you boys, his pride and joy."

"Thank you, uncle," Damien smiled.

"So," the king began, changing the subject, "I hear you had a rather interesting birthday party." The king grinned widely. "Can I get in on the bet?"

And Harrison nearly choked on his wine.

Damien gaped at his uncle.

"Oh, I believe everyone has heard about your little gift," the king laughed. "I should very much like to meet your new companion. Shouldn't he be here? According to the bet?"

"Sir," Damien sputtered, "I wouldn't want you to think that I took your presence here so informally as to have a slave in our meeting--"

"What? Am I not your uncle too?"

Harrison smiled. "I'll send Geoff for him."

 

--Neko--

 

The door to the master bedroom opened suddenly and Kayden scurried back under the table. He noticed a big man (of course, everyone seemed big to him but this one was wide too) step into the room, take a glance around, and then stride over to the door to his little side room. He briefly remembered seeing this man when he'd first arrived and a couple times in his master's study, but there had been so many people around. Kayden noticed this one had a dagger attached to his belt, and pressed himself further out of sight.

The man frowned after looking into his room as Ellis stepped from the washroom.

"Captain Brenner, sir, is there something I can help you with?" Ellis asked.

"Yeah, where is his Grace's slave?"

"Oh," Ellis smiled, then pointed under the table and Kayden almost hissed at the other neko for revealing his hiding place. "He's under the table."

Geoff Brenner looked to where the house slave was pointing. He frowned when he finally spotted the balled up little thing against the wall. "What the hell is he doing under there?"

Ellis just chuckled and shrugged. "Eating?"

The captain shot the older neko slave a scowl. "What's his name again?"

"Kayden."

The burly guard turned his attention back to Kayden, and Kayden wished he could escape the large man's piercing gaze.

"Kayden, come here, now," Geoff barked.

At the commanding tone, Kayden scurried out from under the table. His body trembled as he wondered what the large man was going to do with him. He could feel the man's gaze raking over him.

"Hmm, little bitty thing, aren't you?" the captain scoffed, reaching to take the boy's thin arm.

Geoff raised his brow when the neko recoiled from his hand. He suddenly noticed that the tiny body was shaking terribly.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he stated, trying to keep his voice softer, as he slowly wrapped his large hand around the thin bicep. "Your master just wants you now."

Kayden let out a small breath, trying to get control of his fear. Nothing was going to happen, he tried telling himself, but he still couldn't help feeling intimidated by the huge man.

The guard led him carefully down the stairs, keeping his grip light and guiding. Kayden breathed easier at the gentle touch, figuring if the man wanted to hurt him, he had already had plenty of opportunity to do so. Hopefully, he was telling the truth and taking him to his master.

Kayden froze on the steps at the sight of all the people in red in the foyer and was nearly yanked off his feet by the guard. His bare feet stumbled to get back his balance as he warily eyed the numerous men with daggers, swords, and pistols. He noticed all the eyes turned to stare at him as he was led toward a room he had yet to visit.

Kayden nearly cowered up against the guard leading him, trying to avoid the attention of all the men with weapons that could hurt him. He tried not to think about the loud sound those guns would make, or the feel of a blade against his skin.

At the guard's knock, the door opened, and Kayden breathed in the soothing scent of his master.

"Your Grace," the captain nodded. "I have your slave, as requested."

"Thank you," Kayden heard his master's smooth voice and nearly darted out of the guards' hold toward the man.

The door closed behind him and his master turned to the older man resting on the couch. Kayden pressed up behind his master, seeking to hide from the stranger. There were just so many new people!

"Sir, this is Ka--" Damien froze as he felt pressure against the small of his back and realized the little neko was hiding behind him.

His uncle and brother were laughing.

"He's a little shy," Harrison informed their uncle.

"A little?" the older man chuckled.

Damien frowned, shifting to get the boy out from behind him, and hoped fervently that the little kit didn't embarrass him in front of his older kin. His hand slid down over the boy's head a couple times, absently soothing him before resting on the boy's neck.

"Sir, this is Kayden," Damien introduced again. "The 'companion' that Harrison so thoughtfully gifted me with on my birthday."

As Damien led Kayden by the neck to his chair, the king shifted forward in his seat for a better view. Damien felt the boy jerk into his side at the sudden movement of his uncle, and he couldn't help the heavy sigh that escaped as got ready to sit down. Kayden instantly dropped to his knees at his feet as Damien shifted to sit in his chair.

"Obedient, though," Eudon praised.

"Most of the time," Harrison grinned into his glass.

"Really? He's caused problems?" their uncle looked surprised. Taking in the little black-haired neko, he couldn't imagine that the tiny thing could be a problem.

"Only around loud noises," Damien said as he settled back in his chair. His arm rested on the armrest and his fingers absently drifted over the silky tresses briefly as the boy settled next to him. Then he picked up his wine glass.

"I see," Eudon said, casting a glance over at Harrison who was rising to refill their glasses. He was shocked by Damien's brief touch on the boy's head that seemed to settle both of them. The action was so quick and almost imperceptible that the king would almost have sworn he'd mistaken it.

"Well, I'm sure this slave will be plenty useful to you," the king smiled, trying to catch a glimpse again of the bright green eyes that had peeked at him from under the midnight tresses.

Damien seemed to frown down at the dark head, but then his features softened and the king would have sworn he saw a little smirk at the corner of his nephew's usually placid features.

"You find that amusing?" Eudon queried, accepting another glass of wine from his youngest nephew.

"No, just thinking..." Damien trailed off, and the small smile evaporated. "Anyway, it's only for a month," he said, casting a glare at Harrison, "to prove you and Roman wrong."

"Hmm," the king hummed as he rose, and Damien and Harrison rose with him. He noticed the little neko leaned into his nephew's thigh, and Damien didn't seem to notice the touch, obviously used to it. "Well, I must be on my way. I will see you in court in a few days, and we will discuss my visits with the port cities."

"Of course, uncle," Damien nodded.

"Harrison, don't let your brothers get too serious. I think your little gift here will give all of you much amusement," his eyes twinkled as the little thing shifted against his master's leg. "Take care, boys. And take care of your little gift, Damien."

The king strode toward the door, and the Whitmore boys followed. Kayden stayed where he was on the floor, not sure what he was expected to do, but definitely knowing he didn't want to go back into the hallway with all of those armed men.

"Oh, and keep an eye on your brother," the king warned in a low tone. "I'm worried about him."

"Roman's harmless," Damien defended. "He just lets his temper get the better of him sometimes."

Damien opened the door for his king, noticing the abrupt shifting of the guards at the door. The three men stepped into the grand foyer.

"Thank you for gracing us with your visit, your majesty," Damien said formally.

King Eudon cast a glance back at the huddled figure on the floor. "You just going to leave him sitting there?" he whispered at his nephew.

A frown crossed Damien's face, then he noticed that Kayden hadn't moved. The boy still sat on the floor next to his chair with his head ducked down and his tail curled tightly around his knees.

"Kayden, come," he commanded, silently praising the boy when he instantly jumped to his feet to obey.

As the boy scurried across the room to Damien's side, he noticed the instant that things were going to go horribly wrong.

The boy's foot caught on the sagging baggy pants and suddenly Kayden was hurling toward the king. Damien tried to catch the boy, but the king's guard was quicker, grabbing his neko by the hair and yanking him back.

Damien heard the ominous slide of daggers being released before he was able to stop them and saw the wide fearful emerald eyes as a blade slipped to his boy's neck.

"No!" he shouted, halting all the guards, even his own.

"Stop!" the king barked as well from behind the guard who'd stepped protectively in front of him. "Let the boy go," he ordered. "He just tripped."

The guards looked suitably chagrinned at overreacting to the non-threat. The guard holding Kayden released his grip and the boy crumpled to the floor. The guard nudged him with the toe of his boot. "Apologize to your king," he demanded.

Damien glared as he stepped forward and pulled the shaking boy up to his feet. He curled Kayden against his chest, protecting his slave from further terror. He was nearly drowned in the overwhelming need to protect this little neko who had been entrusted to his care that he almost growled at the guards.

"I will apologize for him, since he's my slave," Damien stated, knowing the boy would never be able to find his voice in his current state. "Your Majesty, my humblest apologies for Kayden's mistake. He meant no harm."

King Eudon hid his smile, nodding suitably to accept. He noticed the young boy's head nod against Damien's chest.

"Of course he didn't," the king smiled.

Damien's hand slid over the back of Kayden head in that soothing manner that neither of them seemed to be aware was happening, but the king grinned again.

"Duke Whitmore, thank you again for your hospitality," Eudon said. "And be mindful of your little companion. He seems to be a little, um, tense."

Damien groaned slightly as Harrison hid a chuckle behind his hand. "You have no idea, your majesty."

Thanks for reading
Copyright © 2014 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 49
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You rock with all the updates :) I really am sad that he didn't grab onto the fact that roman called him 'tiger' which provoked that reaction. I think he owes it to him to ask if his jerk *&% of a brother. Damien is a good man and I am glad that Kayden has him and trusts him. On the other note, I hope that he can protect him. Leaving him behind could do the poor boy in if tortured by Roman.

 

I wonder for their future. The reality is that Damien is going to be king someday which will mean marrying and having an heir I am sure. He won't be able to be with his little Neko even if Kayden becomes free. I am sure that isn't done.

 

I'm definitely hooked to your story and can't wait for more!!!

Link to comment

I'm really not sure how you plan to wrap this up in another nine or ten chapters. The story is interesting and compelling enough to get some mileage out of it--some long chapter mileage :Pthat is. You've got us, so why let us go so soon!

Link to comment
On 08/17/2014 01:02 PM, Ron said:
I'm really not sure how you plan to wrap this up in another nine or ten chapters. The story is interesting and compelling enough to get some mileage out of it--some long chapter mileage :Pthat is. You've got us, so why let us go so soon!
Well, I hope it doesn't come across as rushed or anything as you read it. Thanks for the advice. I've thought about adding more, but I'm afraid of making it drag out too much also. I guess I'll have to see how it comes across in the end. Thank you for reading!
Link to comment

It was great to see the sensitivity that Damien displayed...and Kayden feeling comfortable enouhg to open up to him...great job...Gary

Link to comment

I´m glad Kayden felt he could tell Damien about his past, and Damien should know there are hunters so he can do something to stop them.

Link to comment

Another sweet chapter I'm more and more nervous about Roman, especially after what was said about his mother. I'm sure trouble is brewing there.

I'm not quite sure what the reviews are talking about. As far as I can see Kayden hasn't opened up at all. He's only spoken two words. Maybe I've missed something.

That chapter provided some badly needed comedy and a sign of genuine fondness by Damian. There's hope!!

Link to comment
On 10/15/2014 05:26 AM, Nephylim said:
Another sweet chapter I'm more and more nervous about Roman, especially after what was said about his mother. I'm sure trouble is brewing there.

I'm not quite sure what the reviews are talking about. As far as I can see Kayden hasn't opened up at all. He's only spoken two words. Maybe I've missed something.

That chapter provided some badly needed comedy and a sign of genuine fondness by Damian. There's hope!!

Keep in mind that reviews older than 10/11/14 when I did the update are referring to the OLD chapters. That is the only downside to updating like this instead of deleting and reposting--the reviews are still there for the original version, but now they don't match up to the chapters. I should probably go into the chapter notes and say which of the old chapters it matches up to, for those who what to read what other write about each chapter... Sorry for the confusion.
Link to comment

I'm glad I left reviewing until the new version came up, then I get the chance to praise all of these brilliant additions. This one with the king was masterly, showing he was aware of the problem with Roman, and giving us yet more telling interactions with Kay and people around him, eg the captain (Geoff).

And why hasn't Damien gotten him some clothes which fit? lol he's not a competent pet owner or master, even if he is kind.

Link to comment

It amazes me how you mesh such different characters into a beautiful tale. I've read some stories similar to this that seemed stilted and over written if you know what I mean. In trying to sustain a viable plot, the writers missed the awkwardness of their characters and actions. Just saying. 'shuts up now'. Enjoying your story immensely.

Link to comment
On 11/05/2014 01:17 AM, joann414 said:
It amazes me how you mesh such different characters into a beautiful tale. I've read some stories similar to this that seemed stilted and over written if you know what I mean. In trying to sustain a viable plot, the writers missed the awkwardness of their characters and actions. Just saying. 'shuts up now'. Enjoying your story immensely.
Thank you! That's one of the best complements ever. In fact in the current story I'm posting--All In--I've had to rework a chapter like five times because I couldn't seem to get their reactions/dialogue right for their characters. I'm so glad you are enjoying the story. Hope you like the rest!
Link to comment

So, pretty much the only person I hate is Roman, but then he is the story's antagonistic shit. The King...I love him. He's got this air about him that just screams Grandfather, has the soul of a cherub, and the discernment of a sage.

Link to comment

Haha the king's so nice, and he's the only one who sees through Roman so far, he's awesome! :D His guards are a bit uptight, but that's probably a good thing considering what I suspect Roman of plotting :P. I have to admit, when the king stumbled, my first thought was that Roman was poisoning him. The description of him after that just reaffirmed it, him stumbling one moment and being strong the next would have to be either poison or extreme weakness that he's trying to hide. The weakness one seems unlikely because of how he acted after Roman left, you'd think he'd relax a little around only people he trusts who also know the burden of leadership.

I'm a little worried for the king now that he's pissed Roman off, hopefully that won't make Roman advance his plans sooner. Even if Damien has to be king at some point, it'd be nice to see him enjoy being with Kay for a little while first :D

Link to comment
On 12/04/2014 08:19 AM, faxity said:
Haha the king's so nice, and he's the only one who sees through Roman so far, he's awesome! :D His guards are a bit uptight, but that's probably a good thing considering what I suspect Roman of plotting :P. I have to admit, when the king stumbled, my first thought was that Roman was poisoning him. The description of him after that just reaffirmed it, him stumbling one moment and being strong the next would have to be either poison or extreme weakness that he's trying to hide. The weakness one seems unlikely because of how he acted after Roman left, you'd think he'd relax a little around only people he trusts who also know the burden of leadership.

I'm a little worried for the king now that he's pissed Roman off, hopefully that won't make Roman advance his plans sooner. Even if Damien has to be king at some point, it'd be nice to see him enjoy being with Kay for a little while first :D

I'm so glad that you are enjoying it. Roman isn't quite as bad a Brad was, more of a plotter. The shaving cream scene is one of my favorites too. This story has a pretty slow build up of Kayden and Damien's relationship. I really hope you like the rest!
Link to comment

I love the King, he at least see's partially through Roman. :2thumbs:

I hated the guards, I know they reacted according to their training but they should have been the one's apologizing fort he misunderstanding. not demanding that Kay say sorry. :angry:

Onwards :read:

Link to comment
On 12/30/2014 10:43 AM, Caz Pedroso said:
I love the King, he at least see's partially through Roman. :2thumbs:

I hated the guards, I know they reacted according to their training but they should have been the one's apologizing fort he misunderstanding. not demanding that Kay say sorry. :angry:

Onwards :read:

Wow, thank you for reviewing!! I knew you had read it, since you'd mentioned that before. I greatly appreciate reading what you think of each chapter. I look forward to what you have to say about the rest!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..