Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 1,552 Words
  • 2,348 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rivers of the Dead - 33. 4-2 - Direction

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, Sam, Matthieu, Ben, Jay, Scott, and Chris. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D

Fear still gripped Ethan, even several hours after his dream. He couldn’t sleep anymore, not now, not after seeing Caleb and being unable to reach him. It was Saturday night, and early, so he wasn’t used to sleeping at this time, anyway, yet he also couldn’t find the strength to leave his bedroom. Instead he paced anxiously, glancing at the clock from time to time, wondering if it would ever change, if the next day would come or if he was still dreaming, still trapped in his own mind.

The door opened without warning causing Ethan to jump, landing three feet away in a defensive posture, wild eyes blinking against the light streaming in from the hallway. “Ethan, honey . . .” Mrs. Pallet said, then saw Ethan’s eyes and asked, “Are you okay?”

“Mom?” Ethan asked, slowly distinguishing her form in the doorway. She reached for the light switch and flipped it, then returned her attention to Ethan. He held his hand up against the glaring brightness, squinting at her.

Mrs. Pallet’s concerned eyes met her son’s as she said, “Ethan, you look like you’re scared out of your mind. What happened?”

“Just a nightmare, Mom,” Ethan said, shaking his head as he looked away. He relaxed his posture as he commenced pacing again, knowing he’d look crazy to his mother, but unable to find the energy to care. “I saw Caleb . . . I couldn’t reach him.”

“Oh, honey . . .” Mrs. Pallet said, taking a step into the room. She looked like she was about to hug him, but then pulled up short, her face a mask of uncertainty. “It’s about time you faced this.”

Ethan gave her an incredulous stare. “What?” He asked. “That’s what you have to say to this? I have a nightmare and you tell me to face my fear?”

“Your best friend is gone. I’m so sorry, but . . .” Mrs. Pallet nodded to herself, apparently firming up her resolve for some hard thing she would have to do or say. “It’s healthy to face your grief. I wish I could make it all better for you.”

Ethan shook his head. “You can’t. No one can.”

“God can.”

He heard both the words and their tone. This wasn’t a casual mention. His mother had an agenda, something she’d come to accomplish tonight. She hadn’t come to offer comfort, to check on him, or even to talk about how he needed to address his grief. No, this was a missionary visit, and she’d come for his soul. That was one thing he’d never give her or her god.

“Mom,” Ethan said firmly. “I’m not going back to church. I know you—”

“I know,” Mrs. Pallet interrupted, raising her hand. She walked the rest of the way into his room and sat down on the edge of his bed. She hung her head sadly, fidgeting with her hands as she continued, “But I was hoping you wouldn’t say that. God could help you, Ethan. I believe in that. I really do.”

“No. Death can’t even help me, Mom,” Ethan said, chuckling dryly. “What can God do?”

“God is more powerful than death,” Mrs. Pallet said with conviction.

Ethan threw his hands up in the air and shouted, “Oh, Jesus Christ!”

He meant it as a curse, but Mrs. Pallet’s eyes lit up with excitement at his apparent understanding of her point. “Yes, exactly!” She said enthusiastically.

Ethan met her gaze and said seriously, “No, Mom. Nothing is more powerful than Death. I’m sure of it. I’ve felt it.”

Mrs. Pallet’s eyes fell, and her face fell with it. “Son, if you’re going to keep doing this, resisting God’s light in your life . . .” She breathed out a heavy sigh. “After graduation, I don’t think we can let you stay here. Your father and I have been talking, and between your claim to be gay and your apostasy, I just don’t think we want you around your brother and sister.”

Ethan recoiled as if he’d been slapped. He’d expected this, but somehow hearing the words still caught him off guard. He saw the conviction in his mother’s eyes and realized it stood in the way of everything he was. She wanted him to suffer because his identity did not mesh with her identity for him. “So, you’re going to evict me after all,” he whispered.

“Please don’t think that we don’t love you—”

“I’ll move out next weekend,” Ethan said, overriding her words. “I’m eighteen already, so it’s not like you’re able to stop me. Liz offered me a place already, so . . .” He shrugged. “I guess there isn’t anything else left to talk about is there?”

“Ethan, don’t be like that. You can stay until you graduate, I said that already. We’re doing this bec—”

“Because you love me,” Ethan finished for her, letting out an exasperated sigh. “I heard the lie the first time, Mom. You’re doing it because you love your God more than you love me. It’s pretty simple. Now, if you’ll please leave me alone so I can pack?”

Mrs. Pallet opened her mouth again, but Ethan shook his head, giving her a warning look. She raised her hands in surrender, stood up, and walked from his room. He waited for her to go and then closed the door gently behind her, not wanting to seem angry by slamming it.

And, to his surprise, he didn’t feel angry, not really. Now that the initial shock was starting to wear away, he could see a certain logic behind it and found peace with the situation. They, his parents, saw the world differently than he did. They had no concept of magic, yet they believed in God. They believed in love, though not its many forms. In his time using magic he had seen the endless possibilities ahead of him and could see the vast potential expressions of life and energy.

They didn’t understand, and that was okay. One day, perhaps, they could, and then he could be with them. But he had already traveled to a different place, experienced different things, and they no longer knew how to relate. They feared what they did not understand, and so they wanted it away from them — perhaps until they could understand it.

For the same reason, he had given up magic, at least for now. He expected to return to it one day, when he understood it for what it was. He wasn’t evil, magic wasn’t evil, it was just new. His parents, too, would understand that in time.

But for now he needed to move on, and that meant he needed to make a call. Liz answered almost immediately, and after they exchanged hello’s, Ethan said, “Liz, is that offer to stay at your place still valid? It looks like I’m going to be homeless soon.”

Liz laughed. If it had been anyone else, Ethan would’ve thought she was going to make light of the situation, but he knew she wasn’t. She just needed the relief that only laughter could bring. The sound brought a smile to Ethan’s lips. “You bet,” Liz said enthusiastically. “My Mom already said yes. Not like she has much say. I’m the one who pays most of the mortgage.”

“Then expect a house guest by Friday,” Ethan said firmly. “Think Jake could spare some time to help me move?”

“I’m sure he can,” Liz replied, then, in a more serious tone, she asked, “You doing okay, Ethan?”

“Yeah,” Ethan said, nodding to himself. “Better than I ever thought I would be, actually. I guess it’s just . . . leaving home, it feels like I’m finally getting somewhere. Like I’m closer to where I want to be.”

“You sound happy,” Liz observed.

Ethan thought it over, and he realized the truth of the statement. He did feel happy. He had a sense of direction, even if that direction was out, and not to anything in specific. His momentary thought also brought the dream of Caleb back to his mind, and his ability to see infinite possibilities emerged once more. Ethan knew what to do.

“Yeah, but it’s not just for that,” he said. “You ever had a dream that felt magical?”

Liz snorted. “Of course. What’s up?”

“I have a theory. About Caleb,” Ethan said. He heard Liz take a sharp intake of breath, and he rushed to continue, “And before you give me that stare over the phone, I don’t mean to bring him back. I just want to talk to him.”

“You’re talking a séance?” Liz asked, surprised. “That’s a rather simple spell, compared to stuff we’ve done in the past. That being said, are you thinking of casting it?”

“Well,” Ethan chuckled. “I was hoping you’d be willing.”

“Of course,” Liz replied, laughing along with him. “How about you give me a week to review the process, make sure we do it right, and we’ll do it for your welcoming party?”

“Liz. You are awesome.”

“I know, Ethan,” Liz said, then with a mischievous tone she added, “I’m the most badass witch that ever lived in this town.”

Ethan guffawed. “Jake’s rubbing off on you.”

Liz groaned, realizing what she’d said. “Don’t remind me.”

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, Sam, Matthieu, Ben, Jay, Scott, and Chris. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D
Copyright © 2017 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

 

B)...................I guess this was as good as you can get about moving on, with Ethan leaving his family home.  He now has one thing less to worry about! A seance?  Hummm,  I wonder if this is a good idea or not? Nice chapter!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

I hate his parents! I have a feeling that Orpheus is gonna screw with that séance some how. The dick. I hate when they say being gay and they don't want them around their siblings. I wish someone would put a spell on the bitch!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I agree with Wesley. I don’t think Orpheus is going to let the seance go off without interference.  Or at least eavesdropping in on it.  Thanks for the new chapter. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
3 hours ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

 

What I wanted at the conclusion of Mrs. Pallet's God is all powerful eviction speech was for Ethan to levitate her off the floor and him to ask, "Who will you ask to put you back on the ground, God or me?" Injecting the seeds of doubt and fear into zealots can be so satisfying. The phrase, "God is Love" has little meaning when you refuse to keep your heart open to others. Interpreting religion so that it becomes exclusionary is so wrong.

 

I'm not sure if the seance idea is good or not. They may only get the Big O, Operator or Orpheus. That can be so frustrating Imagine getting an ethereal 'This line is busy' message.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

 

Interesting developments. Ethan thinks a seance could be useful; I’d love to know how The Ruler takes that idea. But it is so sad that Ethan’s parents want him to leave home...because they love him? Pfffffft. Great chapter!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Religion or eviction and don't taint the little ones, -so common, so hypocritical. At least there was no violence like there so often is.

Ethan's going to move in with Liz and I like that. A séance too, and that's cool but of course in this case could also spell disaster.

Whatever happens, I doubt it'll be dull.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I can never understand anyone choosing to throw out their kid over religion. It's incomprehensible. Maybe talking to Caleb is the way to go. Team up on Orpheus, if they can sneak this whole thing past him... 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/21/2017 at 3:36 PM, Benji said:

 

B)...................I guess this was as good as you can get about moving on, with Ethan leaving his family home.  He now has one thing less to worry about! A seance?  Hummm,  I wonder if this is a good idea or not? Nice chapter!

Thank you. :) Ethan does need to distance himself from those who detract from his progress, and his family was doing that. Hopefully it'll help him clear his mind, eh?

On 10/21/2017 at 3:55 PM, Wesley8890 said:

I hate his parents! I have a feeling that Orpheus is gonna screw with that séance some how. The dick. I hate when they say being gay and they don't want them around their siblings. I wish someone would put a spell on the bitch!

I don't particularly care for his parents either. Although I think it would've been good for his parents to accept him, Ethan probably doesn't want them cursed, either. He's too good of a guy for that, heh.

On 10/21/2017 at 5:14 PM, glennish said:

I agree with Wesley. I don’t think Orpheus is going to let the seance go off without interference.  Or at least eavesdropping in on it.  Thanks for the new chapter. 

Hmm... What will Orpheus do during the seance. Yes, that's certainly the question of the day, isn't it?

On 10/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, drpaladin said:

 

What I wanted at the conclusion of Mrs. Pallet's God is all powerful eviction speech was for Ethan to levitate her off the floor and him to ask, "Who will you ask to put you back on the ground, God or me?" Injecting the seeds of doubt and fear into zealots can be so satisfying. The phrase, "God is Love" has little meaning when you refuse to keep your heart open to others. Interpreting religion so that it becomes exclusionary is so wrong.

 

I'm not sure if the seance idea is good or not. They may only get the Big O, Operator or Orpheus. That can be so frustrating Imagine getting an ethereal 'This line is busy' message.

Oh, that would've been a neat idea! Heh, maybe if Ethan had still been in super warlock mode he would've done that? Maybe he should've done it anyway. :P

If you'd like to contact the dead, please hang up and dial again.

On 10/22/2017 at 5:12 AM, Parker Owens said:

 

Interesting developments. Ethan thinks a seance could be useful; I’d love to know how The Ruler takes that idea. But it is so sad that Ethan’s parents want him to leave home...because they love him? Pfffffft. Great chapter!

Right? Some people have strange ideas of what love means.

On 10/22/2017 at 7:54 AM, Stephen said:

Religion or eviction and don't taint the little ones, -so common, so hypocritical. At least there was no violence like there so often is.

Ethan's going to move in with Liz and I like that. A séance too, and that's cool but of course in this case could also spell disaster.

Whatever happens, I doubt it'll be dull.

Have you noticed that I've kept Mr. Pallet mostly absent in this story? I don't think he and Ethan connect very much. This seems like it's all on Mrs. Pallet's shoulders, and she isn't really the violent type. Ethan definitely has his work cut out for him though on that seance.

4 hours ago, Puppilull said:

I can never understand anyone choosing to throw out their kid over religion. It's incomprehensible. Maybe talking to Caleb is the way to go. Team up on Orpheus, if they can sneak this whole thing past him... 

I completely understand. Unfrotunately, I've also seen rejection of children based upon sexuality time and time again. It's so stupid... But at least Ethan has Liz! And together, they have more power than anyone else in town, especially with Jake backing them up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
20 minutes ago, Cynus said:

Have you noticed that I've kept Mr. Pallet mostly absent in this story?

 

Yes, I had noticed and wondered about it. So Mrs. Pallet is the moderate one? I think avoiding confrontation would make the Mr. either a coward or calculating.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/25/2017 at 6:13 PM, drpaladin said:

 

Yes, I had noticed and wondered about it. So Mrs. Pallet is the moderate one? I think avoiding confrontation would make the Mr. either a coward or calculating.

I think she's the one calling the shots in the family, to be honest. Mr. Pallet is just watching it unfold and doing nothing.

Link to comment
On 10/21/2017 at 2:06 PM, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

One less concern for Ethan. I really hate when people use religion as their answer to everything. Then shun the unbeliever. What happened to have love and compassion? So much to say...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

One less concern for Ethan. I really hate when people use religion as their answer to everything. Then shun the unbeliever. What happened to have love and compassion? So much to say...

As do I.  I've grown up around religious fundamentalism my whole life, and it's amazing how something supposedly so family-focused destroys so many families.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..