Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 1,628 Words
  • 1,888 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rivers of the Dead - 36. 4-5 - The Big Picture

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, Sam, Matthieu, Ben, Jay, Scott, Chris, and Lachlan. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D

Caleb’s eyes fluttered open. That was no dream, he knew that for certain. He’d heard Liz’s voice — and Ethan’s — and he could sense their presence. He even sensed the presence of another, less familiar person. As he gathered his sense, his mind dwelled on the identity of the last one who’d been there, remembering Liz’s words at the beginning. Jake. Jake Sanders? Why would Jake be there?

But overshadowing all of that was one thing; Ethan already lived on the other side of the veil. He’d already gone back to the world of the living, which meant . . . Orpheus had lied to him from the very beginning.

“Ethan,” he mumbled, sitting up. He was in the bottom of the boat, but the boat no longer moved through the water. It rested on a rocky shoreline, Charlie standing tall at the bow, with Orpheus staring at him critically.

“We’ve arrived, Caleb,” Orpheus said. But there was a difference now. While Caleb wasn’t sure what had triggered it, he knew Orpheus had at least played a part in ending his connection to the others. It was just after Ethan had asked if they were together. Ethan must’ve tried to warn him.

He didn’t anticipate a straight answer, but he asked the question anyway, thinking it would be expected of him. “What happened?”

“You started to fall into the Styx, but we were able to catch you in time," Orpheus replied. "Its energies must have overwhelmed you. You were unconscious for some time. Apparently, you didn’t drink any of it, since you’re speaking just fine.”

“I was . . ." Caleb said, trying to think of an answer that wouldn't tip off how much he knew about Orpheus, while still acknowledging where he went. Orpheus knew, after all, that he'd been speaking to his friends. Caleb could see it in his eyes. He wanted to protect them and had a feeling if Orpheus thought they'd been successful in their mission, they wouldn't be safe. "I was dreaming. I could hear things.”

“Like at the Cocytus? The whisperings of the rivers?” Orpheus asked.

“Maybe," Caleb replied, shrugging noncommittally. "It felt different.”

Orpheus seemed satisfied by this answer. “Nothing to worry about, Caleb. As I said, we’ve arrived. We can talk about what you saw after you meet with The Ruler, if you so desire.”

“Where do I go?” Caleb asked, rising to his feet. He focused on maintaining his balance as he walked forward, then stepped out of the boat and onto the shore. All he saw was a desolate landscape of boulders and dead trees in front of him, but the elevation continued to increase, and a mighty mountain rose in the distance. It looked familiar, like something he'd dreamed about or saw in another life.

Orpheus pointed toward the mountain and said, “You’ll see it. You’ll recognize it. Everybody does.”

“Up the slope, then?” Caleb asked.

Orpheus nodded. “Yes. I cannot go there with you.”

“Why not?”

“I am your guide, and nothing more," Orpheus replied. Caleb tried to read the lie in his expression, but he could not detect one. "This," Orpheus continued, "You must do alone.”

Caleb nodded and turned away from Orpheus. He understood. Even if Orpheus turned out to be The Ruler as Caleb suspected, he understood having to make the trek alone. He came seeking, and he had found; he only needed to walk the last bit of the way alone.

The sharp stones beneath his bare feet were uncomfortable, and even though he tried to will the ground to be smooth as he'd changed the temperature before, he could not do so here. This part of the land resisted him, as if it had to be the way it was and no other way. He found this peculiar, considering the laws of the realm as he'd so far experienced them, but he decided to accept it and move forward.

As he moved away from the shore, the sharp rocks became less frequent, and he soon came upon a dirt path which led upward. The path appeared unused, no footprints at all, yet the existence of the path itself told him that others had walked there. He wondered if it rained in The Underworld, and if so, where the rain came from. Did it wash away the signs of creatures passing, as rain did in the living world?

He felt eyes at his back and glanced over his shoulder, expecting to see Orpheus watching him from the shoreline, but when he looked he had to stop and turn around, taking in the sight. He didn't feel he had climbed very high, yet he looked down on the world below him as if he stood on the tallest mountain in the realm.

He could see all the way to the Acheron, which appeared many miles away. The great city of Elysium rose up halfway between him and the Acheron, a splendid metropolis to behold from this vantage point. He could sense all the souls there, living out their peaceful paradises. Despite the distance, he could make out the fountain of Phlegethon, and the fountain of Lethe, both beautiful in their own sense.

And he could see the Styx, less a river and more a swamp, surrounding everything and wrapping around The Underworld in all its spiteful glory. He understood its hidden beauty now, the way Orpheus had described it. The Styx didn't flow through The Underworld, it flowed out of it, to the outer reaches. It protected its citizens, stealing their hate and letting them live out their afterlife without spite.

If it rained in The Underworld, it must rain over The Styx only, for only that great swamp could contain the waters of the Dead. Caleb knew, and in that moment, he was overcome. He sat down on the trail, looking down at the world below him, and he wept. He wept for the dead, who knew not the beauty which surrounded them. He wept for the living, who knew not the clarity of death. But he did not weep for himself, for he had never seen the world with such a perfect understanding than he did now. His soul felt whole for the first time he had ever known.

But there remained a task to complete, he reminded himself, and after he could weep no more, he stood. Only then did he catch the signs of movement below him; three dogs rose up off their haunches, cat-like eyes following his every move. He smiled at them, knowing they, too, understood the world as only the truly dead could.

Caleb crouched once more, and the dogs approached him. He held his hand out for them to sniff, and one by one they approached him. Their cold snouts brushed against his fingertips and he scratched each one behind its ears.

"You're not so bad, are you?" Caleb murmured. "You're just a part of this place after all, and there's no reason to fear you, is there?"

The dogs didn't offer any form of answer, and so Caleb turned his back on them and resumed his ascent. He climbed for what seemed like hours, and what seemed like seconds. A part of him marked time as a man, and a part of him marked time as The Underworld did. Despite the difference, both made sense to him, and he drew comfort from the fact that he retained his humanity, even after everything he'd come to understand.

He'd drunk deeply from the Mnemosyne, but he did not feel mad. Yet, he knew, this too was a form of madness. The thought made him smile as he crested one last ridge and saw his destination. Orpheus spoke the truth; he recognized it instantly. Cherry Creek Cave stood before him, it's gaping maw calling to him as if welcoming him home.

His heart rate increased unbidden. He sensed a presence within, and his whole body reached out to it. He'd thought he was whole before, but he knew now that the final piece he needed lay inside the cave. Without thinking any longer, he sprinted toward the mouth of the cave, clambering over boulders as quickly as he could.

As he entered the cave, his eyes slowly adjusted to the dark. He glanced back once and saw that a wall of dark fog now covered the entrance of the cave. He'd seen fog like that before, at his first meeting with Orpheus. He turned around, expecting to find the musician waiting for him.

Instead he found an obsidian throne, appearing as if it had been built from frozen chunks of the Styx. On the throne sat a boy of seventeen, naked and emaciated, his gaunt features regarding Caleb with sadistic curiosity. Ethan appeared much as he had at the Cocytus, blood flowing freely from his arms, the cuts so deep Caleb could see the bone beneath. The figure laughed, the taut skin around its skull breaking from the effort of the movement.

Caleb covered his mouth to suppress his gasp. He fell to his knees, unable to look away from the ghastly sight ahead of him. The figure rose up from its throne and walked toward him, skeletal fingers raised in accusation, "You've come for me, Caleb?" The figure asked. It stepped in front of him, then cupped his chin in its bony fingers. "You wished to save me? From this?"

The figure lifted Caleb to his feet with inhuman strength, wrapping its fingers tight around Caleb's throat. "Who do you think you are, Caleb? To think you could ever save a soul. You think you understand death, but you cower in its presence. I will consume you, and not even Lethe will want your remains."

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, Sam, Matthieu, Ben, Jay, Scott, Chris, and Lachlan. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D
Copyright © 2017 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Wow 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Holy bat crap! That must've been awesome to see! The macabre image of the ruler! You just keep me wanting more.!!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

That was not what I expected.  Or what Caleb expected either.  Is Orpheus playing mind games with him or did something go horribly wrong here.  Glad he could play it cool after the seance.  Thanks and eagerly awaiting more. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

It's logical Orpheus/Death/The Ruler would try to use the image of Ethan's ravaged body against him. Caleb's advantage is that, as bad as the image may be, he knows it is a huge lie. Of course, he still must pretend he believes. This is the most dangerous game he has ever played, to successfully lie to The Father of Lies.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

B)....................Of course Ethan's image could shatter Caleb's attempt at rescue! But did Caleb anticipate this ruse?  We have already gathered that Caleb has deduced that Orpheus is obstructing , deceitful player of his own making of rule. Caleb is the last person Orpheus expected to outwit him in his game of souls, and Caleb may now have the upper hand. Great Chapter!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Orpheus plays to win, and he always wins, -who beats death anyway? This is his home field and he plays by his rules, and he rules the dead.

Only Caleb isn't dead, is he? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

All powerful Death has every image at command. Your use of Ethan as Death’s image is shattering, and Caleb seems unable to stave off collapse. This would appear to be an end, yet something tells me a hidden wonder is waiting. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/31/2017 at 10:07 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Holy bat crap! That must've been awesome to see! The macabre image of the ruler! You just keep me wanting more.!!!!!

And more is coming. At least, five more chapters of it. :) I'm glad you're still enjoying it!

On 10/31/2017 at 11:11 PM, glennish said:

That was not what I expected.  Or what Caleb expected either.  Is Orpheus playing mind games with him or did something go horribly wrong here.  Glad he could play it cool after the seance.  Thanks and eagerly awaiting more. 

I've got to keep playing with the illusions up until the end, don't I? But what is the illusion? Which is the truth? Or perhaps they all are, somehow... :D

On 10/31/2017 at 11:26 PM, drpaladin said:

It's logical Orpheus/Death/The Ruler would try to use the image of Ethan's ravaged body against him. Caleb's advantage is that, as bad as the image may be, he knows it is a huge lie. Of course, he still must pretend he believes. This is the most dangerous game he has ever played, to successfully lie to The Father of Lies.

There's almost nothing worse than getting in a philosophical debate with a nihilist (we annoy everyone). Imagine doing it in a place where your thoughts are made manifest in your surroundings. Dangerous game indeed! :P

On 11/1/2017 at 12:11 AM, Benji said:

B)....................Of course Ethan's image could shatter Caleb's attempt at rescue! But did Caleb anticipate this ruse?  We have already gathered that Caleb has deduced that Orpheus is obstructing , deceitful player of his own making of rule. Caleb is the last person Orpheus expected to outwit him in his game of souls, and Caleb may now have the upper hand. Great Chapter!

 

Those are great questions, and I love all of them. Will knowledge alone be enough for Caleb to win? It is one of the three rules of magic, after all... ;)

On 11/1/2017 at 7:13 AM, Stephen said:

Orpheus plays to win, and he always wins, -who beats death anyway? This is his home field and he plays by his rules, and he rules the dead.

Only Caleb isn't dead, is he? 

Hmm... certainly a philosophical question worth considering in the eleventh hour. :P Home field advantage is certainly a great way of looking at it!

On 11/1/2017 at 9:03 AM, Parker Owens said:

All powerful Death has every image at command. Your use of Ethan as Death’s image is shattering, and Caleb seems unable to stave off collapse. This would appear to be an end, yet something tells me a hidden wonder is waiting. 

There is certainly more than meets the eye going on here. Hidden wonders may be what it takes, or perhaps the answer was with us all along? Caleb knows a great deal about the way things work down there, after all. :)

Thank you to everyone for reading and commenting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A trick from Orpheus, I'm sure. Playing Caleb's insecurities against him. But a valid question. It is rather bold to think you can triumph over death.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/4/2017 at 11:23 AM, Puppilull said:

A trick from Orpheus, I'm sure. Playing Caleb's insecurities against him. But a valid question. It is rather bold to think you can triumph over death.

Yet modern society seems obsessed with the concept... We see Death as something to be overcome, something to fight against, like it isn't the inevitable thing it is. I don't know what the right answer is, I'm just musing here. :)

Link to comment
1 hour ago, BlindAmbition said:

Playing on his emotions. I hope Caleb realizes that Death only has trickery to pull from.

Playing his emotions like a bard plays the strings. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..