Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 1,525 Words
  • 1,357 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rivers of the Dead - 26. 3-5 - Sweet Oblivion

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, Sam, Matthieu, and Ben. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D

It wasn't long before Caleb realized he was lost. He saw many people throughout Elysium, but he didn't feel approaching them would get him anywhere. None of them paid him any heed, they only seemed concerned with whatever pleasant images they saw ahead of them.

He, on the other hand, remained fixated on the memory of Ethan's declaration. Ethan was an atheist.

Ethan remained in the dark. 'How long had he been in the Underworld?' Caleb wondered. Had it been years? Centuries? Time passed differently for everyone in the afterlife, and for Caleb it now seemed as if he'd walked for an eternity without answers.

Only one person ever seemed to have answers, and he no longer knew if that person could be trusted. Had Orpheus not sworn that Ethan would be here? Had he not said that Caleb would find him here? But now Orpheus, too, had abandoned him. Caleb had called out to him, so many times he'd lost count, but there'd been no reply.

Be that as it may, as he struggled through a part of Elysium he had never seen before, he called yet again. "Orpheus? Orpheus?"

"You're looking for Orpheus, are you?" A woman answered. It was so surprising to hear a response, it took a moment for Caleb to realize the sound hadn't been within his own skull. He looked to the source of the words, a beautiful, raven-haired woman dressed all in white. She sat at the edge of a fountain. Grey, murky water poured from the eyes of a statue at the top. The statue also had the form of a woman, similar in build to the woman which sat before him.

"Who are you?" Caleb asked, taking a defensive step back from her.

"You know me," the woman said gently. Caleb studied her face and saw that her eyes were red, as if she'd been crying for some time. Her cheeks were dry, however, as if she'd stopped a few minutes before he arrived on the scene. "Come this way," the woman beckoned, patting the stones next to him.

Caleb's eyes lit up with recognition. "You're the woman who follows Orpheus around, aren't you?"

"Yes. My name is Eurydice," The woman replied sadly. "He doesn't see me anymore."

Caleb approached cautiously, stopping a few feet in front of her. "What? How come?"

"He's afraid to look back. To see what he's lost," Eurydice replied. "It's something the two of you have in common, though by all appearances, it seems you're now looking back and wondering."

"How do you know about me?" Caleb asked. "We haven't met."

"I can see it in you," Eurydice replied. "I, too, have drunk from the Mnemosyne. Though now . . ." She gestured at the fountain beside her.

"What is this?" Caleb asked. He felt he could trust her, and so he came and sat beside her as she'd originally beckoned.

"The River Lethe," Eurydice said. She reached out and ran her fingers through the water of the fountain, cupping her hand to catch some and then letting the water fall through her fingers. "Can you not see it?"

Caleb shook his head. "Not as a river. I see it as a fountain."

Eurydice nodded in understanding. "And I sit upon its edge and not the riverbanks. I see. You're a man of the modern age, surely. I can see it in how you see things."

"Yes," Caleb replied. "I've only been here for . . ." He sought for some understanding of the reckoning of time, but he found no knowledge waiting for him. "I don't know, not anymore, but less than a year, I imagine."

Eurydice nodded and fell silent, giving Caleb an opportunity to consider the water. It felt familiar, like the comfort of an old friend. The water wanted to embrace him, to bring him into the sweet enveloping bliss of oblivion. He remembered what Orpheus said the water could do, that it could erase the memory and with it the pain of the past. Without Orpheus to guide him, he felt he'd never find The Ruler, never free Ethan from the darkness, never be truly at peace. His mouth felt dry. He wanted to drink.

"I spend all my time here, these days," Eurydice said, staring into the water as she stirred it with her hand. "I consider drinking from the water, but I never do."

"Why?"

"Why what?" Eurydice asked. "Why do I consider, or why do I not drink?"

"Either, I suppose."

"To drink means an end to this. It means I'm ready to commit my soul to oblivion and forget. It means . . ." She sighed and met his gaze. Their eyes communicated their mutual sadness, their common despair, and he understood her pain. Despite this, she continued, accenting her emotion with words, "it means that I will no longer love as I have loved, and no longer weep as I have wept for my love. I suppose it is really the same answer to either question, when it comes right down to it."

Caleb nodded, feeling that he, too, should give voice to his doubts. "I've learned my whole journey here has been a lie. Ethan was never here. I must have left him back in the very beginning."

"Ethan?" Eurydice asked.

Caleb nodded. "My true love. I came here to rescue him from the afterlife."

"No wonder Orpheus likes you," Eurydice replied, her sad smile returning to her lips. "He must see himself in you."

"He told me I'd find Ethan here, but I no longer believe that," Caleb explained.

"You don't need to find him to rescue him," Eurydice replied, placing her hand on top of Caleb's. He could feel the River Lethe on her skin. It felt like the lull of a quiet, deep slumber. It felt like the foggy realization that you have dreamt a pleasant dream, but can no longer remember. "You can still ask The Ruler to exchange your life for his, if that is your desire. You need not find Ethan to make the exchange, for Death knows all his subjects, though he does not know his own heart."

Caleb cocked his head to the side, considering Eurydice. "You speak for Death as if you know him intimately."

"I have been here as long as Orpheus," Eurydice said. "You learn a few things after so much time."

Caleb nodded, and considered the water once more. It promised a release, a release he now felt he might desire after all. "What if I reach the end and cannot achieve what I want?"

"Drink from Lethe, and you'll move on. It's what I would do," Eurydice replied.

"Then I'll take some of the water," Caleb said. He withdrew his canteen and opened it, then remembered he had already acquired the waters of the Styx. He poured them out on the pavement, letting go of the hateful waters. He then placed the canteen under the water, loving the way the water splashed over his hand like a gentle caress. Once the canteen was full, he closed it and replaced it in his backpack. "A suicide pill, I guess, should I be unable to accomplish my mission."

"Seems reasonable," Eurydice replied, smiling. Caleb stood, and she followed his movement with her eyes. "Are you going, then?"

"Yes. I go to seek The Ruler. You were right, I'd given up too easily," Caleb replied. "Even if Orpheus isn't here to guide me anymore, I can still accomplish my mission. Can you point me in the right direction, Eurydice?"

"You seek the Styx, at the far edge of Elysium," Eurydice replied. "Simply seek the edge, and you will find it. When you cross the Styx, you will be at the seat of The Ruler."

Caleb bowed his appreciation, "Thank you for your kindness."

"You are most welcome," Eurydice replied. "May you find the peace you seek." She turned away from him then and cupped both her hands beneath the water, then lifted them up to her face.

"What are you doing?" Caleb asked.

"I'm drinking the waters of Lethe," Eurydice replied. "You gave me my choice."

"How?"

"My love is gone, and I remember, so what choice do I have?" Eurydice said. She smiled the saddest smile Caleb had ever seen. "Death knows all his subjects, but he does not know his own heart." She met her hands with her lips and drank deeply, letting the water slide down her throat.

Eurydice's shoulder slumped, her face glowing as her eyes fluttered opened and closed. She started to fall and Caleb reached out to catch her. "Eurydice?" He asked.

Her eyes opened slightly and she murmured, "Who, who are you? Who is . . . who is Eurydice?"

"I'm sorry for your loss," Caleb said. His arms felt light, and suddenly she was gone, disappearing as if she had never existed. But she remained in Caleb's memory, a fragment of a ghost he'd carry with him as he moved forward. He looked up, fresh tears in his eyes as he imagined the edge of Elysium and walked toward it.

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, Sam, Matthieu, and Ben. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D
Copyright © 2017 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

25 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)


"My lady has come for me, she waits beside the waters of forgetfulness, calling my name on a song I once sung, but no longer remember the words. Why can I no longer hear her?" - Orpheus, in some forgotten age.

I realize this may not affect anyone in the same way, but I cried all night after writing this chapter... I hope you appreciate it for what it is.

 

Of course you cried, as I do too now. How sad, so sad Eurydice is gone, gone because Orpheus has abandoned her. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This was incredibly profound.  Eurydice after thousands of years decided that living with the knowledge that her love was lost drank from the Lethe and forgot it all.   Caleb’s last statement said it all. He caries on to save Ethan “his true love”.  Now we have to wait to find out about Ethan and Orpheus. Thanks for 2 chapters in the same day.  Awesome. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

 

 

 

32 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)


"My lady has come for me, she waits beside the waters of forgetfulness, calling my name on a song I once sung, but no longer remember the words. Why can I no longer hear her?" - Orpheus, in some forgotten age.

I realize this may not affect anyone in the same way, but I cried all night after writing this chapter... I hope you appreciate it for what it is.

 

This made me truly sad. Losing faith, hope.. That’s not Caleb’s path though, as much as he wanted to drink, I’m glad he saw the finality of it. I don’t think he’s ready to give up on finding Ethan yet. 

 

I wonder where Orpheus will say he was. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
33 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)


"My lady has come for me, she waits beside the waters of forgetfulness, calling my name on a song I once sung, but no longer remember the words. Why can I no longer hear her?" - Orpheus, in some forgotten age.

I realize this may not affect anyone in the same way, but I cried all night after writing this chapter... I hope you appreciate it for what it is.

 

Eurydice's release was very sad, but most of all I feel sad for Orpheus. Will Caleb tell him she is gone forever, never to remember him or will he instinctively know? He seems to know so much.

 

Now I'm pondering her last repeated phrase before she drank, "Death knows all his subjects, but not his own heart." There is a hidden, helpful meaning there, but what is it?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Wesley8890 said:

I cried. My heart always broke for the two

I could write Orpheus and Eurydice forever and never run out of tears.

1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

 

Of course you cried, as I do too now. How sad, so sad Eurydice is gone, gone because Orpheus has abandoned her. 

Or perhaps was too blind to find her? Or unwilling to look back.

1 hour ago, glennish said:

This was incredibly profound.  Eurydice after thousands of years decided that living with the knowledge that her love was lost drank from the Lethe and forgot it all.   Caleb’s last statement said it all. He caries on to save Ethan “his true love”.  Now we have to wait to find out about Ethan and Orpheus. Thanks for 2 chapters in the same day.  Awesome. 

I'm grateful for your comments, and glad that it affected you in that way. I keep seeing parallels between characters that I didn't remember consciously making as I wrote the story, but they seem clear to me now. Eurydice . . . oh, that poor woman.

1 hour ago, Defiance19 said:

 

 

 

 

This made me truly sad. Losing faith, hope.. That’s not Caleb’s path though, as much as he wanted to drink, I’m glad he saw the finality of it. I don’t think he’s ready to give up on finding Ethan yet. 

 

I wonder where Orpheus will say he was. 

Though he did take the water with him. What will he do when he reaches the end if he finds a different answer than the one he expected?

But yet there remains hope, for Caleb sought the edge after all. What will he find there?

1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

 

Eurydice's release was very sad, but most of all I feel sad for Orpheus. Will Caleb tell him she is gone forever, never to remember him or will he instinctively know? He seems to know so much.

 

Now I'm pondering her last repeated phrase before she drank, "Death knows all his subjects, but not his own heart." There is a hidden, helpful meaning there, but what is it?

Would Orpheus even believe him? I think all those questions are valid ones, and indeed we'll have some answers.
 

I wonder what you'll reason out before we reach the end. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What a choice to make... To forget because it's too painful. I'd like to think remembering is better since it keeps the love alive even when lost. But then again I would never live for an eternity...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/5/2017 at 12:59 PM, Puppilull said:

What a choice to make... To forget because it's too painful. I'd like to think remembering is better since it keeps the love alive even when lost. But then again I would never live for an eternity...

The thing about the underworld is that most of these people don't realize that they're even in it. Most people don't have to consciously make the choice, because they are simply living out their fondest memories in Elysium. It's only those few such as Orpheus, Eurydice, and Caleb who can see beyond the veil and recognize the afterlife for what it really is.


For most in this interpretation of events, you simply remember until you forget, and the river Lethe slowly drowns you until you finally find yourself immersed in its forgetful waters. The Lethe isn't necessarily a negative force, it's much like the natural decay of a fallen tree in forest. It has lived its life, and it is now making way for new life to form. :)


These are just musings I'm having after the fact though, as I'm sitting here contemplating some of the changes I'm currently going through in my own life. Like everything in life and death, it's all up to interpretation. ;)

Link to comment
On 10/4/2017 at 6:38 PM, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)


"My lady has come for me, she waits beside the waters of forgetfulness, calling my name on a song I once sung, but no longer remember the words. Why can I no longer hear her?" - Orpheus, in some forgotten age.

I realize this may not affect anyone in the same way, but I cried all night after writing this chapter... I hope you appreciate it for what it is.

Seeing the loss of hope in Eurydice was heartbreaking. I hope Caleb keeps love and will alive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, BlindAmbition said:

Seeing the loss of hope in Eurydice was heartbreaking. I hope Caleb keeps love and will alive.

His love is far fresher than theirs, and with much less stagnation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..