Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 2,060 Words
  • 2,327 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rivers of the Dead - 24. 3-3 - Love's Revelation

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, Sam, Matthieu, and Ben. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D

"Ethan?" Caleb called. "Ethan!?"

"You're calling to him?" Orpheus asked. "Interesting tactic. There's what, billions of people in this city? I'm sure he'll hear you."

Caleb glanced darkly at Orpheus. "You're not helping. Where's that guidance you promised?"

"I told you," Orpheus replied, "use love."

"And how exactly should I go about doing that?" Caleb asked.

"Reach out with your heart and find him," Orpheus said. "That's the best thing you can do."

Caleb was about to protest that this, too, didn't really help, and then he realized he'd done it before. He'd done it the day Ethan died, when he'd read Ethan's text and knew exactly where he'd be. He knew in his heart that Ethan would be somewhere he felt a connection to those he loved, and if Caleb attached himself to that connection, he could find Ethan.

Looking within himself, Caleb closed his eyes and felt for something familiar, searching everything around him for something Ethan would be drawn to. A warmth overtook him, and he stepped toward it, then opened his eyes. The street ahead seemed familiar somehow, and he knew the path would take him to answers.

"This way," Caleb said, walking down the street toward the warmth.

"That's the spirit!" Orpheus said exuberantly.

They walked for a couple of blocks, and the buildings began to shift around them. As they proceeded, the road began to curve, and suddenly they were on small-town suburban streets.

"Where is this?" Caleb asked, then glanced at a familiar street sign, amazed at its presence. "Wait, how'd we get here?"

"You're in your hometown," Orpheus said. "Figures it would be around here somewhere. After all, it's still your afterlife."

"Yeah, but now where do I look?" Caleb asked. "I can't feel his presence anymore."

"His home?"

At Orpheus suggestion, Caleb began walking through the familiar streets of his hometown. He knew how to get to his house, Ethan's house, Liz's house, and the park from anywhere in town, and it didn't take him long to navigate the streets to arrive at the Pallet residence.

No one occupied these streets as they had in the rest of Elysium. This place appeared to be entirely a construction of his own mind, uninhabited except by the ghosts he placed there. The problem was, the house felt almost as dead as the town did.

"He isn't here," Caleb said, shaking his head. "I know he isn't here."

"Why?" It wasn't really a question from Orpheus, more like a suggestion, getting Caleb to think about the rules of the land. Caleb recognized its purpose, and tried to step outside the issue and see it differently. The answer clicked almost immediately.

"No, of course he's not here . . ." Caleb said, turning to look in the direction of the city park. "I need to go somewhere important to him. Somewhere he'd be happy."

"You're learning," Orpheus observed. "Good."

They walked in silence. Seeing the streets so deserted was surreal to Caleb, yet not entirely uncomfortable. He'd often wondered what his town would look like if no one lived there anymore, if he and Ethan and Liz had the place entirely to themselves. He walked past places where he and Liz had ridden bikes together, and the first and last place he'd ever used a skateboard when he broke his leg.

He took the long way, remembering that time flowed differently here, and he walked past the high school, seeing it was just as empty as the rest of the town. He considered walking through the halls, getting lost in the empty feeling as he remembered all the different things he'd done and seen in those once crowded halls.

A short way from the school, he kicked a pebble and was brought back to the present. He smiled, and ran the rest of the way to the park.

"What's with the park?" Orpheus asked when Caleb pulled up short a few yards away from the maintenance shed.

"This is where he died, but it's also where we spent a lot of our time together," Caleb explained, heading around the back of the shed. "Just around the shed here, there's a secret spot—"

. . . He could hear Ethan laughing before he approached, the delighted sound of a twelve-year-old having the time of his life. Liz giggled in response, and it made Caleb rush toward the break in the hedges, wanting to know what all the excitement was about.

As he came bustling through the bushes, he saw Ethan sprawled against his favorite tree, a comic book in his hands, Liz lying next to him, reading over his shoulder. Ethan heard Caleb's approach and lowered the comic book before Caleb could see what it was.

"Hey, Caleb!" Liz said, standing to greet him. "We thought you'd never make it!”

"Yeah, about time, slowpoke," Ethan said, holding out the comic book to him. "Check this out!"

Caleb took the comic, his eyes widening in shock. It was the new issue following their favorite shared superhero. Ethan never had the money for such things, and his parents rarely approved, so to see it in Ethan's hands was a thing of wonder. "You have the new issue? No way!?"

"Yeah. My parents actually bought it for me," Ethan said, holding his hand out to take the book back. Instead of giving it back, Caleb sat down next to Ethan and opened it up so they both could see. "Strange, since it has demons in it and stuff."

"No way, demons?" Caleb asked. "That's wicked! He's never fought demons before!"

"You two are hilarious," Liz said, rolling her eyes. "Demons don't exist. And I would know, I'm studying magic."

"Shut up, Liz," Ethan scolded.

Liz crossed her arms and said in a huff, "Maybe I should just leave you two alone with your superheroes."

"Don't be a spoilsport. It's not like we're trying to exclude you. Just a second ago, you said you didn't like it," Caleb replied.

"Caleb, check this part out!" Ethan said excitedly, drawing both Caleb and Liz's attention back to the page. It showed a clear image of the hero bashing the face of a monstrous demon in with his fist.

"Man, that looks so cool!" Caleb said.

"Boys!" Liz exclaimed.

They continued to read the comic, Caleb inching closer until his shoulder touched Ethan's. He became acutely aware of the thin pieces of fabric separating them along with the distinct scent of strawberries touching his nose. He breathed in deeply, realizing the scent came from Ethan's hair, and was accompanied by a touch of sweat and the earthy scent of the dirt around them. He smiled, amazed at how good the mixture smelled, and then smiled even wider when Ethan turned his head toward Caleb, his eyes dancing in the morning light . . .

"What do you see, Caleb?" Orpheus asked as the memory faded.

"It's just a memory."

"Of Ethan?"

"Yeah. It's the day I fell in love with him," Caleb said, breathing deeply. He could still smell the strawberries. "I remember, we sat there, reading that comic book together, and we leaned into each other. His shoulder touched mine; I could smell the scent of his soap mixing with his own scent and the scents of the world around us. When he looked at me, showing me the part he was so excited about, those eyes . . . so full of life and happiness. It was a perfect moment, ya know?"

Orpheus nodded, looking around the park. "Maybe he's here."

"No," Caleb said, "it's just a memory."

"It's not always that simple," Orpheus replied. "Stay awhile, reach for him."

Caleb did as instructed, and soon another memory took hold of him.

. . . Caleb looked up as Ethan came around the corner of the shed. He'd grown a lot in the last year, but he was still skinny and short for a fourteen-year-old. His size didn't matter to Caleb, though. It was the way he smiled and the way his eyes lit up whenever Ethan talked about one of his interests that really had hold over Caleb's heart.

He loved the way Ethan moved, loved everything about him. "Hey," Caleb said, "Liz isn't going to make it today."

"So it'll just be you and me?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah," Caleb replied as Ethan sat down at the tree across from him. "She said she has homework."

"She should really do that before summer vacation to avoid summer school," Ethan replied, snickering. Caleb realized, however, that the laughter didn't quite reach Ethan's eyes. Something was bothering him. Caleb could always tell when something bothered Ethan, because he knew what to watch for. He couldn't stop watching.

"Yeah," Caleb said, coughing as he pulled his knee up to disguise his quickly tenting crotch. "So, what do you want to do?"

"Just talk," Ethan said.

"Really?" Caleb asked, trying to sound less interested than he was. If he let out the amount of exuberance he felt about just talking with Ethan, Ethan would think he was high.

"Yeah . . ." Ethan said. "Do we have to do something?"

"No. I just find it a little surprising," Caleb replied, trying to cover up his awkwardness. "You sound like something's bothering you."

"Yeah, something is," Ethan admitted. He was silent for a moment, then he plucked a blade of grass and started fidgeting with it. "Hey, do you think I'm some kind of Jesus Freak?"

"No," Caleb replied firmly. "You don't act like most of the kids at your church."

"Yeah . . ." Ethan said absently, looking away, staring at the back of the shed as he ripped the blade of grass in two. "I don't think I believe in that stuff."

"Really?" Caleb asked. "I don't go to church, so you probably already realize it, but I don't think I believe in it, either."

Ethan nodded. He returned his attention to Caleb and said, "Yeah. I'm pretty certain I'm an atheist."

"Wow, really?" Caleb asked.

"Yeah. I don't . . ." Ethan shook his head forcefully. "I think if there's a God, he pretty much has to be a real asshole."

"Shit," Caleb laughed, "Ethan, you never swear."

"Why worry about swearing if there's no God?" Ethan asked, smirking. "No afterlife? Nothing? Who's gonna punish me, my parents?"

"I don't mind," Caleb replied, smiling encouragingly. "Hell, I think it's pretty cool."

"Thanks, Caleb," Ethan said, grinning wide. "I'm glad I can talk to you about things like this."

That grin almost sent Caleb over the edge. He wanted to hug Ethan and let him know everything would be all right, but instead he held back, adjusting the position of his legs again and realizing if he got up anytime soon, Ethan would immediately know just how cool Caleb thought it was . . .

"Is everything all right?" Orpheus asked.

Ethan was an atheist. The thought reverberated through Caleb's mind like a voice in a cave. He had no other thought. He knew what that meant. "Yeah, just . . ." He shook his head. "He's not here."

"You're sure," Orpheus observed.

"Yeah," Caleb replied. "Let's move on." He'd left Ethan in the Warden's care, wandering in the darkness without even going toward the light. Ethan had never entered the afterlife, never even saw the rivers or Elysium or endured the trial at Cocytus. Ethan was left in darkness, and Caleb had abandoned him once again.

"Don't you want to keep looking in your hometown?" Orpheus asked. "If he's anywhere, he's going to be here."

"No. I . . ." Caleb said. Goosebumps appeared across his flesh, his body began to shake. "I need to escape."

"What do you mean, you need—" Orpheus began, but then his expression shifted to one of pure annoyance. "Hang on. I'm sorry, Caleb, but I have to take care of something."

And then Orpheus folded sideways and disappeared from sight, leaving Caleb alone in the park he'd created from his own mind. Caleb didn't care, he wanted to be alone anyway.

As he walked, his foot kicked at a small pebble, but he didn't notice. The pebble bounced and landed inside of his shoe, coming to rest underneath his heel. It hurt, but Caleb didn't care. At least the pain meant something.

Don't forget to comment and react to this chapter! Also, special thanks to my Patreon Supporters: Michael, Bill, Charles, Amr, Don, James, Joe, Jos, Mark, Mark, Paul, Steve, John, Frank, Sam, Matthieu, and Ben. Couldn't have done it without them. Email me at Samuel.D.Roe@gmail.com to be put on my mailing list! :D
Copyright © 2017 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Omfg I'm having a great day I get a chapter of this and I got a new story started yay!!! Wonder where Orpheus went...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well that was a twist I didn't see coming.  I too wonder what kind of call Orpheus received and what's going to happen next. Also the pebble has to mean something...right? ......right?  Thanks for keeping us guessing. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
43 minutes ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

 

 

Ethan exists here only in Caleb's memories and those were heartfelt. Unknown to Caleb, Ethan isn't trapped in the darkness either. He is in the real world where Caleb asked him to be sent. When will Caleb come to that realization? What happened that Orpheus had to leave so suddenly? Do psychopomps have pagers?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Omfg I'm having a great day I get a chapter of this and I got a new story started yay!!! Wonder where Orpheus went...

 

10 minutes ago, glennish said:

Well that was a twist I didn't see coming.  I too wonder what kind of call Orpheus received and what's going to happen next. Also the pebble has to mean something...right? ......right?  Thanks for keeping us guessing. 

 

9 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

 

Ethan exists here only in Caleb's memories and those were heartfelt. Unknown to Caleb, Ethan isn't trapped in the darkness either. He is in the real world where Caleb asked him to be sent. When will Caleb come to that realization? What happened that Orpheus had to leave so suddenly? Do psychopomps have pagers?


To all of you: I soooooo want to post the next chapter right now, but there are reasons why I'm not going to. The ending of it would leave you wanting more, and THEN I'd feel like I needed to post another chapter today, so . . .

We'll just have to wait and see where it takes us. :)

I love the investment! And yes, pagers are a required part of the uniform.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

 

I feel like this chapter was about a lot I’m not getting.. good thing the next is posted. 

Also, it means something that the pebble hurt him right? Off to find out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

 

 

I love the flashbacks and the way in which Caleb is reaching for Ethan. How much you make me wish time could flow in two directions. Beautifully written. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

I feel like this chapter was about a lot I’m not getting.. good thing the next is posted. 

Also, it means something that the pebble hurt him right? Off to find out. 

I hope it clears up for you. :)

Caleb is currently feeling like his entire quest may have been pointless. The pain of the pebble is just a sign that he can still feel when everything seems intent to make him numb.

1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

 

I love the flashbacks and the way in which Caleb is reaching for Ethan. How much you make me wish time could flow in two directions. Beautifully written. 

Time flowing in two directions. That deserves a link, my friend! Thank you for the comment.
 

 

Link to comment

Hmm... Where do you find an atheist in the afterlife? And what is up with that pebble? Good for me I can read on! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Hmm... Where do you find an atheist in the afterlife? And what is up with that pebble? Good for me I can read on! 

The pebble is just a symbol. If you remember chapter 1 . . . :) As for where you can find an atheist in the afterlife, I believe the warden addresses that one when she's introduced back at her reception desk. Maybe I should've restated the atheist one here? I'm learning things. :D

But yes, more answers also await ahead! Thank you for the comments and for reading!

Link to comment
On 10/3/2017 at 8:17 PM, Cynus said:

PLEASE QUOTE OR LIKE THIS COMMENT SO I KNOW YOU ARE COMMENTING. :)

 

Well that was unexpected. I was thinking Ethan would have been agnostic as well. Caleb needs to remember to use his beacon to connect to Ethan. Orpheus  disappearing is unsettling.

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BlindAmbition said:

Well that was unexpected. I was thinking Ethan would have been agnostic as well. Caleb needs to remember to use his beacon to connect to Ethan. Orpheus  disappearing is unsettling.

I'm not sure Ethan was anything but depressed and angry, and what he believed was compartmentalized to the point that he might as well have believed in nothing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..