Jump to content

The Egg Stone

   (7 reviews)
Genres: Science Fiction
Sub-genres: Soft Sci-Fi

A story of love and redemption overcoming long odds.

At the beginning of this tale are scenes of graphic violence, it is not the authors intent to gratuitously to use such material, needlessly or cheaply.
Rather it is used to set a tale of redemption. If such triggers are harmful…please forgive me. There are many fine stories by some fantastic authors for you to peruse elsewhere.
Copyright © 2023 Secret Author; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (3 members)

  • Action Packed 3
  • Addictive/Pacing 3
  • Characters 3
  • Chills 3
  • Cliffhanger 1
  • Compelling 3
  • Feel-Good 3
  • Humor 3
  • Smoldering 3
  • Tearjerker 3
  • Unique 3
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • P. Prologue
    • 569 Words
    • 665 Views
    • 2 Comments
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 20,083 Words
    • 680 Views
    • 6 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

kbois

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Heed the trigger warning of violence. It's definitely graphic and brutal. 

That being said, this belongs to a genre I normally don't read. The author did do a good job of creating an alternate world with it's own rules and hierarchy. 

Justice may prevail, but the cost is high. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to review
Bill W

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This is a story that built it's own universe, complete with its own vocabulary for items and activities that we're very familiar with.  However, before  we get very far we are accosted by some very brutal and over the top punishments that are described in graphic detail.  Thankfully, this does not continue throughout the entire story.  

Otherwise, this was a tale about a corrupt priest who used his position to carry out his own agenda, and although most of the town went along with it, two young men saw what he was doing and found a way to call him out for it.  

  • Love 4
Link to review
Mikiesboy

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

I've thought for some time about this story.  It left me open-mouthed as i tried to figure out what the lengthy and overly graphic beginning was there for. For me personally, it was overlong and served no real purpose.

Once you get through that, if you do, and I didn't the first time, the story is interesting.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to review
Hero

   4 of 5 members found this review helpful 4 / 5 members

I feel a need to redress the balance here. I could draw a parallel with Pasolini's film Salo - The 120 Days of Sodom which attracted both positive and very negative reviews. Donald McLean (Bay Area Reporter) in reviewing the film wrote: the film becomes an endurance contest to see if you can make it to the bitter end without vomiting. Ed Potton (UK Times) wrote: There was a point to all this foulness... 

Was there a point to this depraved fantasy? I ask the question, because other reviewers raised the point, once you get past those (first few paragraphs) you'll find a story that deals with corruption, friendship and love. Luckily the gruesome start does not continue through the story.

That gruesome start one needs to get through is a depiction not of punishment as one reviewer states, but grotesque executions. The executions of sixteen year old boys, the mechanism (described in detail) is more horrendous than the beheadings by Daesh in Syria. Add to that the perversity of a younger boy watching the scene and masturbating, it is indeed something to get through.

Whilst the story carries a warning, I wonder if that is enough, perhaps if you read this review you will know what to expect. 

I cannot say I enjoyed the story nor agree that it was a well written story. In my opinion the opening graphic detail was an excessive indulgence into the author's personal fantasy and not justified as setting a scene for some eventual redemption.

Read it at your own risk!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to review
Mancunian

   3 of 4 members found this review helpful 3 / 4 members

WOW, and I mean it, WOW. Creating a world and characters that as you read feel very real, you become embroiled in the story. It is a difficult read to start with, making you question what is going on here. Luckily the gruesome start does not continue through the story, but it does set a mood and pace that grips you. You feel for La'gan as his friend begs him to commit unspeakable acts so as to lessen his torture. I'm not going to say anymore, I don't want to give anything away before you read. What I will say is, read it, it is a brilliant gripping story that will not disappoint. Worth ten stars this is a recommended read.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
chris191070

   3 of 4 members found this review helpful 3 / 4 members

I advise caution with the first few paragraphs because we are treated to some quite disturbing scenes of punishment.

But once you get past those you'll find a story that deals with corruption, friendship and love.

A story with well developed character's in a fantastic universe.

Hopefully we'll see more stories in this universe.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
raven1

   3 of 4 members found this review helpful 3 / 4 members

This is an excellent story in a setting somewhere in the universe.  It feels like the civilization is a bit medieval, but very different.  The setting is realistic, and the characters are well developed to the point the reader can really feel for them. The plot is exciting and is full of adventure as well as horrors.  I loved this well written story!

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..