Jump to content
    drsawzall
  • Author
  • 2,550 Words
  • 991 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
There is sexual activity between like minded teen age boys in this chapter

The Farm At Maple Hollow - 16. Chapter 16

Changes and Commitments

Changes and Commitments

When the first rays of dawn broke over the pond sending a shimmering light forward into the cabin, it chased the sleep from my eyes. Far from being tired I was excited for this day to begin. We had announcements to make and with the plans we announced, we would officially in the eyes of family and friends become a couple committed to a life together, for better or worse and until death do us part. For richer and poorer and in sickness and in health we would walk beside each other in the days and weeks along with the months and years to come. I would hold my hand out knowing he’d be there as I would for him. That in the pace of our steps together, the journey we’d begun would be equal, and guided with our love.

Our blanket snatcher had found his way back to us after we had fallen asleep. He lay spread eagled in the middle of the bed, arms up behind his head and his legs splayed over ours. We were lying on our sides facing each other and our arms were across him. Our hands met sometime in the night and lay softly connected over his belly. The forces of daylight weren’t as lucky with these two as the room filled with the dawn of a new day, the sandman wasn’t giving in so easily and this battle would continue for some time yet. I had to get up and slowly so as not to disturb the slumbering bodies made my way out of the bedroom. Old Spot hadn’t much fight in him this morning, and he was suffering the newly found cool air as I made my way outside to mark my territory. He wasn’t happy when I stretched him out to relieve myself, having left the warm confines of my bed. The twins weren’t much happier being forced out into the cool of the morning air as I walked across the cabin and outside, far from being relaxed they tucked themselves tightly to me in protest. My business done, I tugged my tee shirt down as far as I could stretch it and headed back in. After washing my hands, I started a fire in the cook stove and while I waited for the stove to warm, I set about the business of making breakfast after putting the apron on.

I diced some potatoes for home fries along with a small onion. I set the bacon out in a large cast iron skillet and let it cook slowly. In the other pan I started the home fries with a little bacon grease. I think it was the smell of the bacon that roused Eddy and Bobby, both came stumbling into the kitchen in only their tee shirts, judging by the appearance of the two of them, it was a late night as well. Looking around and not seeing the munchkin or Ethan, they looked at me, I told them I couldn’t sleep but if they peered around the corner, they might find Sleeping Beauty’s brothers, I had eggs to fry.

It’s amazing the various forms payback can take. Eddy and Bobby stealthy clambered into the bedroom. There was a yip and a yowl and the voice of someone new pointing out the obvious pee boners. That was followed by giggling as the munchkin was getting his due. Very shortly he announced that they had to stop because he had to ‘piss wicked bad’. I heard the sound of multiple sets of feet hit the floor chasing a newly formed ghost covered in a blanket. The ghost was followed by an apparition wearing the bed sheet and both blanketnappers were being vigorously chased by a couple of angry pee boners. As the ghosts neared the door they vaporized as the bedcovers fell to the floor and all raced outside to reclaim for another day, their island as they marked their territory. Breakfast was inhaled this morning and Sam led everyone in the clean-up of the cabin, we wouldn’t be coming back until late afternoon and he had to leave the place spotless.

Per my custom, I left the door to the outhouse open while I was watching the world unfold in front of me. Blue jays seemed to be dive bombing the squirrels and other than the crows, I think they were the loudest birds around. Honey bees were buzzing from flower to flower, hopping from the blueberry bushes and the wild strawberries to the wild azaleas. The air this morning was starting to thicken with the first faint traces of humidity. It took longer for the beads of sweat to dry, the slight breeze no longer felt dry but moist as it crossed over you, it took a little longer for the dew to dry from the grasses and the wild strawberries. The crispness of yesterday was replaced by a dull heaviness in the air today. This afternoon would be a humdinger, hot and humid, an oppressively flaccid day. We would all be sitting in the shade parched for the hint of a fresh breeze as we would sweat simply by sitting still and breathing. Earl would set up a fan or two on the porch to keep the air moving but the only way you’d get really comfortable, would be riding in a car with all the windows down and the floor vents opened. I always made it a point on a day such as this to turn the flipper window all the way out so it forced more air into the car and at me, I’d spread my legs and let the wind ride up my shorts. It was a burger and dog’s type of day and I was glad in the knowledge that the potato salad, egg salad and the deviled eggs were made yesterday. There be cold cuts and a garden salad as well and if we were lucky, we have brownies made fresh last night.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a snake with a small toad in its mouth. The toad was losing the battle as the snake’s mouth was so distended that just the front legs and head of the frog were visible. Every now and then a fly would touch down on the toad and just as quick fly off. There were some dandelion seeds floating lazily by on a wisp and a whim as I pondered the events that were to transpire this afternoon. I had resolved to keep Ethan at my side for his quiet strength and comfort for those moments I would get nervous and start to ‘travel’ as he liked to call it. I hoped that Earl and Marge would see where we were coming from and be pleased by our offer. In our discussions with Ernest and Ezekiel, we knew that selling the farm was always a possibility, more so as his health had taken a bump or two and Ethan was four years away from graduating from the agricultural college. While there were no plans set in stone either way, our offer would bring an end to all the speculative possibilities.

I heard a pine cone bounce off the side of the outhouse and land next to where the snake was, poor toad I thought, both were gone and only one had survived the morning. Another pine cone hit followed by several others as my lair was now under siege. Concluding my business with the outhouse I bent low and retrieved some of the expended ammo and steeled myself to run the gauntlet back to the porch where a bar of soap and a towel awaited a date with a boy launching himself off the dock. I gave as good as I got and I reached the porch relatively unscathed. As I was reaching for the soap and towel, I wheeled on my feet and sprinted for the dock. As I flew down the path l let out my victory yell and jumped into the pond. The water felt good, it became my second skin as I sank into its embrace. I swam underwater for a few feet to get completely soaked and then surfaced. As I turned back towards the dock, I saw the island’s army race down to join me in the victory celebration. The soap was passed all around and we warriors emerged victorious from the pond squeaky clean.

***

It went better than I expected. Ernest addressed everyone after we had eaten; being a banker he sort of gave a state of the farm address, while the situation wasn’t critical, attention to the operations would be needed. Ezekiel picked up from where Ernest left off. As a lawyer he discussed the state of the union further. He addressed his father and mother, and told him they had both been approached with a very generous offer for the farm. There was a collective gasp when Ezekiel suggested the seriously consider it.

It was resignation not anger that showed but for a fleeting moment, an acceptance that all good things come to an end when Ernest and Ezekiel asked us to step forward. Walking up to Earl and Marge was torture, trying to keep the goofy grin that was hiding behind my lips from my face. Ernest discussed our finances and shared all the details with the family and announced our offer to buy the farm to an obviously stunned audience. Ezekiel described the mechanisms of our purchase, the trusts that would keep the farm solvent in perpetuity and the college education fund and our reasons for doing so. Both brothers went to great pains to explain as they handed out papers with the facts, figures, current and projected income. Everything was structured in such a manner that any risk was minimal to Ethan and myself. Our ‘blood money’ was invested in such a manner as the interest would bear the brunt of the purchase and the educational fund. Everyone would be required to sign paperwork after having had some time to ponder it over.

Once everyone had settled down Ernest begged everyone’s attention once again. He asked Axel and Trind to stand with me and as they walked up Ezekiel handed me some paperwork from the General Court in Worcester.

He started off “I thought that Mom and Dad’s immediate family was complete with the surprised announcement of Eddy’s impending birth so many years ago. Little did I know how wrong I was, that our family would grow again.” Looking directly at his parents he continued “As of Friday afternoon the judge approved your guardianship of one Aric Johan Peterson, I only hope you know what you are getting into.” Turning to Axel and Trind he said “While you’re too old to be legally adopted we’d like to officially welcome you into our family as well.”

The rest of the afternoon was a blur as the good fortune was discussed. Axel and Trind were stunned, disbelieving at first the warm welcome they had received from everyone. Sam clung to our side as the afternoon wore on. The only ones not bothered by the heat were the little ones who raced around under the sprinkler.

As previously arraigned with Ernest and Ezekiel, they announced that we would all meet on the second Saturday in June to sign all the documents and make it official. As the eldest Ernest asked that he be allowed to make the announcement, that Ethan and I would be signing our partnership papers as well and there would be a celebration after, no gifts necessary he said with a wink.

Betty, Sam’s mom, pulled me aside and darned near hugged me to death. When she was done nearly choking the life out of me, she set her sights on Ethan. Once she had finished with the both of us, she set her sights on Marge and Trind. Guessing by the animated conversation between the three of them and shortly after all the wives who were with them, I knew something was up and we would just have to wait till that second Saturday in June to find out.

Earl came up to us and grasped my hand and pulled me into a hug. “Any man would be proud to call you son, only a fool wouldn’t.” he had me crying at that point. All the brothers came up and shook our hands including the newest, Axel. We had a moment to talk and he was excited about working at the bank, they had made an offer and wanted him after he graduated next week, they would help pay for his master’s courses so long as it applied to banking. I looked at him and told him “why not, its numbers no matter which way you look at it.” He laughed back as he knew that was the extent of my mathematical abilities. He also let me know he had met a girl who was working in the post office and he hoped to have me meet her soon. Their first date was next Friday after his graduation. I wished him well and told him I hoped she knew how lucky she was as I gave him a big hug.

Everett and Evan pulled us to one side shortly after to make sure just how much they appreciated what we had done. As with the other two brothers, they had decided life on the farm was not the direction they would go in as young men, they appreciated Ethan and I would keep the farm running for a long time to come. Ethan and I had yet one further conversation regarding the farm with Eddy and we figured it would take place tonight after we went back to the island.

Everett was the assistant superintendent for the local regional school system. He wanted to know from me some more about Trind and her future. She was going for her teaching certificate and wanted to be a teacher is all I could really tell him and she had a year left before she graduated. Everett let it slip that Marge had been talking to him about just that and figured a second opinion would be helpful. I explained our situation with our parents briefly, the importance that was placed on school work and such. She, like all of us was pressured in so many ways to get good grades. I told him it took me a bit longer to buckle down but I was getting there and not to judge her by my efforts. He slapped me on the back and reminded me that he had firsthand knowledge of my efforts.

Evan just kept thanking us profusely, he owned the local hotel downtown and college educations were going to be a struggle and he was so delighted with our offer he was beside himself. He informed us that after just speaking with his mother and the other wives that he would oversee the cookout two weeks from now and was there anything special that we wanted? We asked him for a day or two and we’d let Marge know, or better yet he asked us to stop in after school next week for burgers.

As always, thanks for reading, your thoughts and comments are most welcome!!!
Copyright © 2020 drsawzall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 10
Thanks for reading, I look forward to your reactions and comments.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was just a sweet chapter, the writing and pacing were both good.  Enjoy the nuances and simple enjoyment of life that seems to permeate some of the recent chapters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

This was just a sweet chapter, the writing and pacing were both good.  Enjoy the nuances and simple enjoyment of life that seems to permeate some of the recent chapters.

Thanks, not everything has to be a cliffhanger....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, GanymedeRex said:

Nice warm chapter.  The 'twins" ??? hehe

Yes indeed...there not liking leaving the warm confines of the bed!!😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The family is growing together and gaining strength and love.  I thought the announcement was handle well and with good humour.  That the family was put first by Ethan and Arik was no surprise, nor was the positive reactions by the family.  A sweet chapter indeed.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, raven1 said:

The family is growing together and gaining strength and love.  I thought the announcement was handle well and with good humour.  That the family was put first by Ethan and Arik was no surprise, nor was the positive reactions by the family.  A sweet chapter indeed.

The boys have thought out a long term plan to ensure the future of the farm and it will be fun to see it come to fruition!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Again I found something I missed the first time I read.  Not only are the family pulling together as a family, they are also working at keeping the family close by making sure all will be staying very near the farm in the community.  With the key positions they hold in the community, it will contribute to the safety of Aric, Ethan, Eddy, Bobby and others like them in the community.  I am glad I decided to read this story once more.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I just loved this chapter it was so extremely sweet and very one is happy and loved it!

Edited by Albert1434
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..