Jump to content
    drsawzall
  • Author
  • 3,078 Words
  • 1,525 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
There is sexual activity between like minded teen age boys in this chapter

The Farm At Maple Hollow - 31. Chapter 31

Can you wax a cow?
To say that the time after what was found carved into flat, horizontal ledge surface just up from the cabin, to what we had uncovered on the vertical ledge wall up above River View, was hectic to the events leading up to and past the 4th of July week, would be a massive understatement.
We had quite a set-to with the advisors and other professors from the university. From the outset they wanted to minimize the contributions of Pam and Sally. They were condescending towards Sam and by extension, us. Ethan had insisted before Pam and Sally’s report and pictures were sent in, that any meetings, any in-person meetings take place at the library here in town.
Mr. Hopkins concurred, living in the rarified world of scholars as he did, he knew what greedy, self-serving, manipulative bastards they could be. It was hammered into our heads repeatedly over the following days, that what was found would have significant historical impact, there were those who would want to, claim the credit and the glory for this discovery, with its potential to re-write the earliest records of New England history.
We were sitting in the main conference room of the library, across the table from us were the Archeological Titians of the University. They were accompanied by the Deans of the History department and the University Provost. They were, as they tried to assure us, the experts we needed to see to ensure all was done properly. They were outwardly dismissive of Sam’s discovery of his stone, the rich archeological heritage represented in the library’s museum up on the third floor, or of Earl’s incredibly unique collection of Native American stone implements and arrowheads.
In their eyes, it was in everyone’s best interest if we simply faded away, that Pam and Sally go back to school; as the experts took over. They would of course, keep us apprised as to their findings. I’m not sure of the temperature or the patience of anyone else, sitting across the table from these blowhards. I think it was when it was mentioned, that Sam and his stone would be properly footnoted in the final documentation, the final straw had been broken.
I had a hand on Sam’s shoulder as his frustration was reaching the boiling point. He muttered “what bullshit” under his breath. You could see how upset Pam and Sally were at being marginalized. Ethan was seething, Earl was red in the face, his fists clenched, he wanted to hit someone at that point. It was Mr. Hopkins who surprised all of us. He simply stood up, told the august body sitting in front of us, to pack up and go home. We were finished and we were so sorry for wasting their valuable time.
They tried to bully us, it was a University sponsored dig, conducted under their auspices, they weren’t going anywhere. It was at that point Uncle Ezekiel stood up and told them they were finished and it was time to leave. As our legal representation, he reminded that they were our invited guests, on our property.
More to the point, they would be served an injunction prohibiting their sharing the news of our discovery with anyone at any time. He reminded them of our agreement, controlling all aspects of the dig, that Pam and Sally signed before starting at the dig site, as authorized by the University to sign! There was one last bit of business he reminded them, all copies along with the originals of any documentation in their possession tonight, will be returned to us now, and the rest by weeks end! Mr. Hopkins escorted them to the door and was all smiles on his return.
While not expecting trouble, Uncle Ezekiel had been in touch with both National Geographic and Harvard University, he told us. In his conversations with Mr. Hopkins, he was concerned that things might go pear-shaped. Both Pam and Sally would be accepted as transfer students if they so desired. Both Harvard and National Geographic had been furnished a copy of the pictures and report.
After the folks from the University had left and we had calmed down from the dust-up, we had a chance to talk it out among ourselves. While we were sure things were going bust, thanks to Uncle Ezekiel we somehow came out smelling like the proverbial rose. He wasn’t quite done yet, there was more he needed to discuss with us, if Pam and Sally decided to transfer, they had full scholarships waiting, for their remaining college years, including graduate school. National Geographic wanted the rights to the story, from the discovery of Sam’s stone through the eventual findings. They would pay a substantial fee to secure those rights. It was further determined, that we would always hold a veto and the rights to terminate any agreements, for any violation of our expressed wishes.
We were stunned at the sums offered and had to weigh the largess against our privacy, the last thing we wanted was to be a tourist destination. Complicating the issue as we sat there and discussed the pros and cons, was the need to ensure serious, scholarship and study took place. It was vital that what was learned would be shared with academia, and equally imperative, with the world.
We had touched on the subject previously, not understanding how to go about implementing our desires. It was at this point, Mr. Hopkins and Uncle Ezekiel asked us to leave it to them to craft an agreement that would satisfy our need, not so much for privacy, but to allow us to lead our lives as we were doing so. To say it was a relief would be a massive understatement. As it would turn out much later to our everlasting gratitude, both National Geographic and Harvard signed on and acceded to our wishes. More to the point, any serious proposals for further study, would be vetted by the University, any photographic requests were the sole province of National Geographic.

While there would be some researchers and photographers coming out to further document Pam and Sally’s work, their visits were unobtrusive and they did their level best to stay out of our way. They would stay at the Hutchinson Hotel while they were in town, and while they attracted some

curiosity, they never revealed who they were or what their business was.

~

Quickly life seemed to resemble some sense of normality, whatever that was. Luke Swenson proved to be a godsend, he and Mr. Janssen were kindred souls. He was down there so much it seemed as if where one was, there was the other. Having a firm grasp on our business plan, he set about confirming the inventories and stock. While it would take some time, we would grow as conditions warranted, we weren’t averse to taking moderate risk if circumstances were promising.

One of our first priorities were with the beef and dairy operations. We wanted to slowly expand our dairy operation. Our research into the latest means and methods convinced us that we could be competitive against the bigger outfits. After all, trucking beef or dairy, from all over New England to a centralized processing plant, and then shipping out a finished product, added to their overhead. What was important to remember, we weren’t looking to become the goliath, we could be a David and successfully compete in a much smaller market. What would set us apart simply put, was quality.

Slowly the world had been changing, not so much as a result of cheaper foodstuffs, but those who did the shopping were more aware of what was going into the food, they bought so dearly. I think the real awareness came from the many news articles about food recalls, or additives used to ‘enhance’ the product that turned out to be proven health risks.

To our surprise late one afternoon, Luke asked if he could meet with Ethan and I. When he arrived up at Maple Hollow, we were sitting on the porch. He looked as if he was being led to the firing squad. He was pale, nervous and wring his hands. It didn’t bode well for either Ethan or I, something was clearly bothering him, and if he was looking to resign, we would be facing enormous difficulties in replacing him.

It was not to be, he wasn’t looking to move elsewhere, he was hoping we wouldn’t be letting him go. He was sure we would be upset and disappointed with him, it took some coaxing, but we finally got him to come to the point. I never laughed so hard and Ethan nearly busted a gut as well. In a rush to get out what was on his mind, he let us know he was pregnant and Trind wanted, no needed to marry him!

It took a second to register, my sister was preggers and Luke was asking our permission to marry her! It took a moment for the laughter to subside, I jumped up and grabbed Luke in a bear hug, it has been obvious to all that he loved her deeply, letting him know all was well and welcome to the family! Ethan went in to get Marge and Earl and a jug of the hard cider. My sister, when she came out on to the porch, had an abject look on her face, she wasn’t aware of how the conversation transpired.

I quickly took her in hand and went for a walk up the driveway with her. I simply asked if she loved Luke, that was all the answer I needed. That she had my blessing and how proud I was of her. She was marring a wonderful man. She buried her head in my shoulder, letting me know, as she spoke softly, she was sure that I’d and the others, would be ashamed of her. Lifting her chin as a few tears moistened my cheeks, I simply told her, nothing could be further from the truth.

As the middle child in our family and the only girl Trind, looked towards our mother for clues on deportment. My mother, was a product of her own sterile upbringing. While highly educated it was difficult for her to see past stereotypes of gender confirming roles. My mother’s plan for Trind would be that she would be a nurse, teacher, or a secretary. But above all, a dutiful housewife raising her expected grandchildren and keeping house for her husband. She had little choice when it came to higher education after high school. With my parent’s approval she set her course on teaching. What my parents or anyone else failed to realize, she had free time in her college schedule, there were other classes she could take. She wisely chose courses geared towards the business administration of school districts.

The federal and state governments were struggling with the influx of us baby boomers into the overcrowded educational structure. We were the largest generation to date to enter the school system. While dollars were available from our local and federal government for building new schools, they pushed for local school districts to regionalize. By combining several towns into a regional school district, only a single high school, junior high or elementary school would have to be built, rather than three of each in single towns

For those who were in college, taking courses towards a teaching certificate, for those who listened and paid attention to the professors, they could see the changing dynamic. More to the point, for those who understood how the new system of building schools, and the availability of state and federal dollars, for that and other programs, would be in high demand.

I never thought my sister was a fool, I understood that now, more than ever. She had seen a path out of a rewarding teaching career, into the administration of school systems. Pregnant teachers were at this time, frowned on, with a little help in the background from Marge she would be moving from the classroom into the office.

We managed to put a dent in the jug of hard cider, I think by the evenings end, the world was as it should be. Marge had disappeared earlier with Trind, something about phone calls about stuff we’d never understand.

                                                                   ~

We busied ourselves with work, spending as many nights out at the cabin as possible. It was as if a calm had descended over us. There was work to be done, equipment to be repaired or replaced if it wasn’t worth fixing. It was always a case of diminishing returns. Everything we used had a lifecycle. When it got to a point that we were dumping dollars in repair, we’d look at the lifecycle of the piece of equipment and the cost of repairs to date.

Replacement parts cost money, time to repair costs, time the equipment was out of service costs not only in productivity, but in profit as well. This is where keeping the books came in so handy. Having Earl to lean on was invaluable. We struggled at times to stay above the fray as it were. To look at these things dispassionately. Always, the gamble was, would a repair get us through the season, or were we pissing good money down a rathole. It was the help my brother, Axel gave us. He was able to modernize our books, allowing us to directly link our expenditures, repairs, and equipment purchases. All of this was done on his own time, down at the bank where worked.

He was leading the charge into the world of computers. I had never seen my brother so content. As the oldest sibling, he had been the one most inculcated by our parents. He was for the most part, the one most like them in manner and deportment. He took his studies seriously to gain approval from our parents. We had been brought up as self-realizing and self-actualizing entities. It wasn’t that we were ignored or physically mistreated, we simply weren’t an emotionally demonstratively family.

Axel found, through an innate talent, success, and encouragement, a life in the world of mathematics. He at times mirrored the cold logic of solving equations. His mind was like a steel trap and his ability to solve complicated mathematical puzzles was phenomenal. I simply couldn’t fathom the things that made him tic. He was the delight of my parents and at times, the model both my sister and I were held up to. It was after the death of my parents in that car accident, that I truly saw the person my brother was. He was the first in the family, to accept my sexual orientation and in days after their funeral, had found a kindred soul in Marge Tompkins, when it came to numbers and math’s, they both spoke the same language.

It was shortly after he began working for the bank, that my brother excelled. His observations about the accident that killed our parents and had nearly done the same for me, were irrefutable. He had been able to, based on the accident report, determine, based on weights of the vehicles and a few other variables, the speed the other vehicle had to be traveling at. Conclusively proving the other driver was at fault.

He had been introduced to the newly expanding world of computers while at college and graduate school. It was a match made in heaven and he was positioned at the right time and place as he started working for the bank and by extension us, with the work he did that allowed us to monitor farm operations in near real time. He had over time, slowly began the process, I called becoming human again. He started loosening up, tried cracking jokes, showing a true interest in what all of us were doing, and most of all, he started dating. I know for a fact, and while he won’t deny or admit to it, lost his virginity to the assistant postmistress downtown, in the back of my car. Margret Bentley simply was the best thing that ever happened to my brother. Nobody’s fool, she could hold her own with anyone, simply set her sights on Axel, and won his heart.

What truly surprised me, was when Luke Swenson first went to Axel to ask for his blessing, he told him to see me. That she was pregnant was a blessing and delighted to know he’d be an uncle!

It proved to be a turning point of sorts, and the week leading up to the 4th of July saw all of us involved in multiple projects. Mary and her shadows had mostly disappeared down to River View. They were working with Mr. Janssen on getting the horses ready for showing. From what Ethan was telling me, Rufus and Rosco would be entering a weighted sled pulling competition. That they would be the only team doing so, did not deter them. The boys worked hard alongside Mr. Janssen getting the winter lumber dray ready. This was different from the freight wagon as it did not have any wheels.

When they thought they had it in shipshape condition, it was time to move on to selecting what wagon they would have the other four horses pull. After some debate it was decided to hitch Levi, Samwise, Frodo, and Maria to the horse drawn city bus. Coming as a part of the package from the failed circus, the bus was in remarkable condition, a bit of paint here and there, some polishing of the brightwork and along with a general dusting, it was good to go.*1

Back up at Maple Hollow things were hopping as well, Marge and Trind were busy making pies, brushing off jelly and honey jars, checking needle point and quilts. Earl had brought out some of his ‘special’ hard cider to be offered to the various judges of the different categories. He had a Milly, his prized Holstein set, I swear he had not only washed the darned cow but I was thinking, where did I leave the car wax?

*1 https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/07/31/priority-horse-bus-charming-photos-look-back-time-people-went-work-horse-drawn-omnibus/

As always...thanks for reading...it is appreciated!
Please feel free to express your thoughts and comment, good or bad!
Copyright © 2020 drsawzall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
Thanks for reading, I look forward to your reactions and comments.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Academics can be bitches. Glad the boys had some sound legal advice to keep them off the discovery and to make sure everyone had the credit that was due. The farm looks to be developing in the way they want, too.

I’ve seen one of those horse drawn buses in a transport museum. It’s amazing how many passengers a team of horses could pull along. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am soooo glad the boys had legal representation to stand-up to the "all-high-and-mighty" scholars !!  Powerful chapter with a lot of family bonding!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, KayDeeMac said:

I am soooo glad the boys had legal representation to stand-up to the "all-high-and-mighty" scholars !!  Powerful chapter with a lot of family bonding!

As always, thank you for the kind words and comment, it is appreciated! It never fails to amaze me how those who think they know try to lord it over those they feel beneath them!

Thanks again!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Mawgrim said:

Academics can be bitches. Glad the boys had some sound legal advice to keep them off the discovery and to make sure everyone had the credit that was due. The farm looks to be developing in the way they want, too.

I’ve seen one of those horse drawn buses in a transport museum. It’s amazing how many passengers a team of horses could pull along. 

I have a friend who teaches an obscure course in linguistics at Clemson, who loves to delight me with the many shades of grey and nuances. I kindly remind him that if it weren't for the Velcro straps on his sneakers, he'd be lost in tying the laces! The fun truly starts once I've gotten 3 or more beers in him!!

Thanks again for reading and commenting, it is deeply appreciated!

Edited by drsawzall
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Your story never fails to impress such wonderful well written great reading can't wait for the next chapters to be posted :thankyou:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chips said:

Your story never fails to impress such wonderful well written great reading can't wait for the next chapters to be posted :thankyou:

Thanks ever so much, life the past 10 days or so has been getting in the way, there's more to follow soon!

I appreciate your comments and thanks for reading!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The meeting with the academics was irritating at best.  I am glad that Mr. Hopkins had clued in Ezekiel so Ezekiel was ready to put the academics in their place.  His backup plan with NG and Harvard was excellent.  It was also a very nice update of Axel's changes.  Luke and Trind are expecting? Wow!  Now to get to the parade.  I do worry that with Maria expecting soon, and hope it doesn't happen in the middle of the parade.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, raven1 said:

The meeting with the academics was irritating at best.  I am glad that Mr. Hopkins had clued in Ezekiel so Ezekiel was ready to put the academics in their place.  His backup plan with NG and Harvard was excellent.  It was also a very nice update of Axel's changes.  Luke and Trind are expecting? Wow!  Now to get to the parade.  I do worry that with Maria expecting soon, and hope it doesn't happen in the middle of the parade.

Unfortunately in this world there are those who suffer from severe cases of self-importance!!

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Boy I just love the hell out of this perfectly wonderful chapter. Well written and with simple great dialogue what was not to love! I have been enjoying this well thought out ride!:thankyou:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Albert1434 said:

Boy I just love the hell out of this perfectly wonderful chapter. Well written and with simple great dialogue what was not to love! I have been enjoying this well thought out ride!:thankyou:

There are some who suffer from self importance, commonality known as headupyourass

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..