Jump to content
    drsawzall
  • Author
  • 3,553 Words
  • 1,293 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
There is sexual activity between like minded teen age boys in this chapter

The Farm At Maple Hollow - 24. Chapter 24

The Devil's in the details, and that's not a bad thing...

Previously

“I love you more, more than life itself.” I reply. It’s sappy and cliché and I mean every word of it. “It’s gonna be a big day for us today, are you at all worried? I ask.

“Not at all, as long as we are all together, we’ll make it. I know we both have a lot to learn but as long as you are beside me and with Dad there to guide us, we’ll be fine.”

It’s one of the things I love most about this big lug of mine, his faith in us…our future. We have discussed our plans for the farm many times. We’re on the same page in wanting the simple life of living on the farm. We both know its hard work, a constant series of chores. Caring for animals that provide your sustenance doesn’t stop when the sun goes down. We’re responsible for them, to see they are healthy and productive. A milk herd requires work, lots of it as everything done on the farm is done for their benefit. There are the scattered beef cows, some pigs, and a few chickens but they are ancillary to the operation. Barns and stalls need to be mucked out on a daily basis. Chickens and pigs need to be fed and watered, manure needs to be spread over the fields, hay grown and mowed as crops are rotated. Milking parlors need to be kept spotlessly clean; barns, outbuildings and sheds need to be maintained and the mechanical equipment kept in good running order.

There aren’t a lot of stores that sell everything a farm needs or requires, you learn to fix what’s broken and adapt to the changing demands of each new day. It’s one of the things that concern Ethan and me, we can see the beginnings of the end of the family farm as people push out from the cities and Suburbia grows. The future is changing and we need to be changing with it. Smaller farms such as ours are being squeezed by the larger corporate farms. There’s a new milk processing plant some forty miles from us, that now processes milk from as far away as Vermont. Big eighteen-wheeler tank trucks are constantly on the move on the newly completed interstate highway. It’s now possible to get out of season vegetables year-round now as they are shipped from all over the world. None of this is completely bad, its consumers driving the markets.

As our neighbors slowly wind down their operations or move to better economic climates. There aren’t many younger sons or daughters that would willingly live this kind of life. The Janssen’s are contemplating selling out. They are our immediate neighbors and their sons want a different life. We’ve talked about buying a part or their entire farm. It is something we need to seriously consider, it’s too good an opportunity to pass up. We know we won’t be able to compete with the future of farming as we are presently constructed, we can see it as we read the trade periodicals. We’ll find a niche that allows us to continue and make a life for us here on the farm.

“What do you want to do with these two?” Ethan asks me “Do we want to let them sleep in; do you want to sleep in for a bit?”

“I’d like to but this is going to be a busy day, they don’t want to see us up there till noon” I reply. “We need to see to breakfast and lay out the base for the tent platform if we are going to have it finished for next week. I also looked over the resumes as well and have some thoughts I’d like to share with you. I think two guys stand out and one would be my top choice. Have you had a chance to review them yet?”

“I went over them quickly and need to look them over again.” Ethan replied furrowing his brow. “After I go over them again let’s discuss our choices, it will make the interviewing more focused. If we both agree on our choices, we can weed out the ones we don’t want quickly and have a bit more time to spend with the final two. I don’t want to make a final decision until we’ve had a chance to walk them through the farm and the dairy operation.”

Sam opened his eyes slightly and grinned as we were finishing our discussion. Letting go of my hand and freeing himself from Ethan’s grasp he stretched and let out a yawn. Lying flat on his back as he finished stretching, he grabbed both of our hands and brought them to his chest. In a soft morning voice, he said good morning to the both of us. I asked him if he slept well and he blushed, his cheeks becoming rosy red. He started giggling and commented on how noisy I was last night which in turn caused me to blush a bit and I took his momentary silence to let him know that both he and Pietro were a bit noisy as well.

Pietro started to stir as we poked fun of each other and we all greeted him as well. I think he was a bit startled to see where his hand was and as he went to remove it, I told him it was ok. Picking his head up he looked at Ethan, Sam and then towards me and told us how much he appreciated the past couple of days. Taking his hand from Old Spot, he reached over and placed his hand over Sam’s. Both boys were grinning and much was being said by their simple exchanges of eye contact. Rising, Pietro straddled me and leaned down and kissed me lightly on the lips.

“I know this is going to sound silly but I can’t thank you enough, Sam’s gonna be my boyfriend…we talked about it and I can’t wait to come back out…I want to help with dig when the college students come out.” Pietro managed to move over to Ethan by straddling Sam and gave him a light kiss on the lips as well. “You guys have been great and I love the both of you very much.”

“Hey…what about me?” Sam asked somewhat mischievously.

“I think we need to take a walk after breakfast so I can really show you how I feel without these two old goats making noise like they did last night.”

That set off a round of laughter and tickling as we feigned hurt feelings and told them both, they were in for a dunking in the pond. Leaping up from the middle of the bed a naked Sam grabbed what little blankets that were covering us and tried scooting off the bed taking them with him, only to be unceremoniously dumped on the floor. Placing his hands on his hips and standing in all his proud and erect glory he pointed to our obvious condition and told us he was going to wake Bobby and Eddy…it was time to mark our territory. I leapt from the bed and told him he was going in for a swim whether he wanted to or not. He went tearing into the bunkroom and grabbed the covers off Bobby and Eddy and flew into the main room making sure to keep the couch and table between us and his back towards the door. Seeing all of us standing around him he danced from one foot to the other as he waited in anticipation of our next move.

We all had dastardly plans for Sam, and he loved it. We didn’t quite get to mark the ground as this morning we chased Sam down towards the dock. It was Eddy and Bobby who cornered him, cutting off any avenue of escape. We all grabbed an arm or a leg and we brought him down to the end and with a couple of swings sent him flying into the pond. We followed of course and like everyone else I relieved myself in the pond. We spent a few minutes chasing Sam as he darted about us. Just as we finally had him cornered again for another dunking his face became serious. It was enough to stop us momentarily. He shoved his arms out as if to ward us off as a series of bubbles broke the surface of the water behind him.

“I gotta poop…like…right now!!” he yelled out as he darted for the shore. He moved like greased lightning as he scampered up the path. Every other step or so a little duck quack would sound from his behind. Needless to say, we were howling with laughter. It was our cue to get breakfast underway. Back up at the cabin we dried ourselves off and set about the task of making breakfast.

It was bacon and eggs this morning, I made some home fries and we all finished the milk and OJ. Checking the cooler for any other items that were in danger of spoiling as the ice was nearly gone, we had breakfast. Once we had cleaned up, I suggested it was time for shorts, sneakers, and tee shirts. We were going to lay out the tent platform and bring what left over lumber we could use up to the site. We laid out the holes for the supporting posts and dug those holes and as the boys were digging, I figured out what else we needed in the way of lumber and made careful notes. Pietro helped with the measurements and asked questions about what I was doing so he could better understand how the process worked.

He picked up on it quickly and was pleased with the complements he received. One of the lessons I had learned in building the cabin was that careful measurements helped, it would involve less cutting as all the wood we needed to cut had to be done by hand out here on the island. This time I figured if I got the dimensions correct, I could cut with the power saw everything I needed and save some time and labor, as there was no electricity on the island. I explained to Pietro that if we laid everything out just so, we would know how many of each type of board we would need and its length. Once we brought everything out and stacked by type, it would be a simple matter to build the platform.

Summer storms can be pretty intense here at the farm, I wanted to put up some longer posts that we could hang a canvas tarp from to act as a roof and some smaller tarps that would act as sides if needed. The platform would be big enough so the tents could be placed at the back under cover and there would be room for some folding chairs at the front. The outhouse would be close enough to be of service but the outdoor fireplace was further away. Once the holes were dug, I set the boys to gathering enough rocks to build a decent sized pit so they could have a fire as needed. I knew the students would be packing their own gear and bringing their own canoe and would make trips to town to stock up as needed. While they were welcome to the use of the cabin and the farm as such, their professors wanted them to conduct the dig as if they were in a remote area, to get used to conditions they would experience once they were out in the field working distant, more remote sites. We had put in a solid mornings work and as we finished it was time to clean up and head back to the farm.

As instructed, we arrived back up to the farmhouse for noon. Everyone was there, all of the brothers and their families, Axel and Trind as well. I was surprised to see Earl and Marge dressed in their Sunday best. The barbeque was going strong and the picnic tables were laden with food. We ate well that afternoon, there were the obvious choices, burgers and dogs, potato salad and fresh garden salad. There were ribs, chops and steaks and there was the promise of homemade peach ice cream for dessert along with pies, cakes, and brownies. The kids were playing with abandon as the adults sat around and told stories and discussed politics. Ethan and I sat nervously off to the side and tried to follow the multiple conversations. As the picnic tables were cleared and the last of the food and dessert put away Earl asked that everyone take a moment and gather around. Earnest and Ezekiel produced a folder of documents and stood by their fathers side. Once everyone had quieted down Earl looked out over his extended family and smiled. Holding his hand up for effect he began to speak.

“As you know I have been offered a good price for the farm and I have decided to sell.”

“This isn’t an easy decision as you all know but the generous offer was simply too much to turn down.”

Earl asked Ernest to explain the offer again, it was cash and more than the farm was worth. Ezekiel opened the folder and laid the contents out. He addressed the family and told them the papers hadn’t been signed that their approval was needed to conclude the sale. There wasn’t much grumbling as the individual packets were handed out to the remaining brothers.

“Before you open the packets, I’d like a moment” Earl asked. “I’m asking your approval and blessings again as you know I have agreed to sell the farm to Ethan and Aric.”

Again, all eyes fell upon us. I felt as if I was under a microscope. As the family looked at us and little Sam started crying, hugging the both of us as tightly as he could. His beloved farm wasn’t going anywhere, anytime soon, it was confirmation of his reality.

“I would like to explain and if my sons Ethan and Aric would please come up we’ll get through this as quickly as we can.” As we were walking up to the head of the table, I caught a glimpse of Betty, she was crying tears of joy. I think she was finally able to piece together how we were able to afford the purchase. I made a note to look at her when we explained the college fund. I was a little slow and when it hit me and nearly lost it, Earl had called me his son. I looked at him and he just smiled and nodded his head. Marge was beaming as she dabbed at the corner of her eyes. Ezekiel explained the finances in greater detail from the initial announcement a couple of weeks ago, how our insurance settlements had funded the purchase. The farm would be placed in trust ensuring it would never be broken up and if possible, expanded.

Ezekiel then asked everyone to open their packets and explained the details of the college fund created out of the sale of the farm. Betty got up and made a bee line for me, “you son of a bitch” she said tears streaming down her cheeks. She smothered me in a tight embrace and kissed my forehead. Reaching out to Ethan she wrapped him up as well and told him never to let me go. To say the family was stunned would have been an understatement. Up and to this point in time, it had been a abstract concept. She walked up to the head of the table with us as we had to sign our partnership papers, creating the entity that would allow us to manage and run the farm. She asked if she could sign as a witness and Sam allowed that he was signing as well. The entire family gathered around us as we all fixed our signatures and the deed was done.

The rest of the evening passed in a slow-motion time warp as everyone took the time to thank us and to reaffirm their love for us. Sam never left our side and tagging along was Pietro. Occasionally he would sit quietly with Bobby and Eddy when the din and hubbub became too much. As evening approached and the crowd dwindled, we found ourselves sitting at one picnic table as Ernest and Ezekiel discussed the upcoming interviews and the timing. They wanted to know what our initial reactions were and we told them. I offered my thoughts followed by Ethan’s. As the rest of them weighed in I was pondering the significance of what we had done, that much good was done with our ‘blood money’. A warm glow of contentment filled me; I felt a sense of well-being as I sat next to Ethan as I remembered there was one last task I needed to do.

Getting up I walked over to Earl and wrapped him in a loving embrace, he kissed me on the forehead and told me he meant what he said earlier. I lost it as I cried into his shoulder. Marge came over and wrapped me up as well. We stood there silently as one by one everyone else who was left came up silently and joined in. I don’t know how long we stood there and Betty said there was one last item to take care of and she would be right back. Ethan went with her up to the farmhouse and the both came back with a tray. As they came closer, I saw the cake with the candles along with a pie with candles.

I don’t know where he had found the time but Ethan was carrying a strawberry rhubarb pie and Betty has a cake for Sam. I had forgotten it was our birthdays. Sam and I are only two days apart, I’m the ninth and he is the seventh. I was incredulous and slightly mortified that in all of the excitement I had let it slip from my mind. I had planned to give Sam the ‘Blue Bomber’. He was of the right age to have a good bike. She had served me well and I knew Sam would get much good use and have much fun with the ‘Blue Bomber’. After everyone had sung Happy Birthday I got up and went over to where I kept my bike. As I wheeled it over to Sam, I simply told him happy birthday and hoped he didn’t mind the lack of wrapping paper.

He leapt from the table to the bike, examined it closely, set it on its kickstand and jumped into my arms. He brought his mouth close to my ears and I could feel his tears on my neck. He told me this was the best birthday anyone could ever have. I held him tight, his face buried against me. He was crying, he thought the farm had been ripped from him earlier and he was devastated, the joy of hearing our plans for the future, and now his very own transportation. Everyone respected Sam’s meltdown, it had been almost too much for him, had I known, I would have broken the news to him differently.

Ethan walked over to me and asked me if I liked the pie, it was a stupid question I told him by way of reply. He handed me a small gift-wrapped box, like the pie, I wondered where he had found the time to buy a gift. Opening the box was a pair of silver necklaces with a charm. When I examined it closely, the charms were one half of a heart and fit together. Ethan took one of the necklaces and placed it around my neck and asked me to place the other around him. As I placed the necklace around him, I leaned in and told him how much I loved him and throwing caution to the wind, kissed him. There were several good-natured groans and a few comments to get a room.

We all laughed and returned to make short work of the cake and pie. I jokingly threatened anyone who came near my man’s creation. Once I had my second piece, I let Sam steal the pie away from me with a few good-natured threats of retribution. Earl brought out the hard cider and we drank several toasts to the farm’s and all our futures. As the evening came to an end, I spoke with Ernest and Ezekiel; I needed to thank them for all their hard work and to confirm the first of our interviews tomorrow. It would be early but we would manage. I asked if they had any further thoughts as to where I could send Earl and Marge on vacation. They promised me they would give it some more thought now that things had quieted down. I had seen an article about Italy and thought it would be nice. We agreed to discuss it further after the interviews were over and we had hired a farm manager.

As always...thanks for reading, please take a moment to comment, good...or bad, they are appreciated!
Copyright © 2020 drsawzall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 6
Thanks for reading, I look forward to your reactions and comments.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Such a sweet chapter, it is nice when family can actually come together and work toward something that benefits them all.  Doesn't seem to happen as much anymore; as discussed in this chapter, about this time is when we seemed to start losing a lot of the smaller farms and ranches.  Some were lost simply because they were taken as the cities and towns expanded; but a lot were lost as families seem to start separating and could not keep the property together and the smaller pieces just could not survive...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Such a sweet chapter, it is nice when family can actually come together and work toward something that benefits them all.  Doesn't seem to happen as much anymore; as discussed in this chapter, about this time is when we seemed to start losing a lot of the smaller farms and ranches.  Some were lost simply because they were taken as the cities and towns expanded; but a lot were lost as families seem to start separating and could not keep the property together and the smaller pieces just could not survive...

We lose such an important part of what America is when we watch small towns, farm and local industries succumb to the pressures the altar of consumerism creates. As the pace of life gets exponentially faster, and to stay current, we need to constantly exist in the here and now. We've learned very little from our past and do little reflection to our great shame.

Your comment is greatly appreciated!!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another great chapter.  I concur, we  have lost a great deal of family virtues because of corporate greed and the constant pressure to succeed in a materialistic environment.  Somehow our priorities have been misguided!  Wonderful story!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, KayDeeMac said:

Another great chapter.  I concur, we  have lost a great deal of family virtues because of corporate greed and the constant pressure to succeed in a materialistic environment.  Somehow our priorities have been misguided!  Wonderful story!!

Thanks for your comment, it is so sad we have lost a sense of innocence as corporate America sells us cheap baubles made elsewhere...

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I also believe that we have lost too much as the small towns and farms disappear from our culture and society.  That is one of the things that is a cause of the divisions in our country today.  The meeting was very special, but Aric or Ethan should have clued in Sam so he would not have been so distraught.  It just wasn't fair to Sam.  Ernest and Ezekiel are the best of big brothers for all they do.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment

@raven1,I agree with the comment of small towns, it is something our politicians have lost connection with as corporate America grows larger and larger! 

Edited by drsawzall
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was so damn good, I have awaited this chapter, and it didn't disappoint! And Sam gets the blue bomber! Farm is saved and will go on into the future so darn good:heart: 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Albert1434 said:

This was so damn good, I have awaited this chapter, and it didn't disappoint! And Sam gets the blue bomber! Farm is saved and will go on into the future so darn good:heart: 

Ethan and Arik can see into the immediate future, family farms are slowly dying at the hands of the larger cooperate farms. Knowing this you can rest assured they will find a way to not only survive, but thrive!! 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..