Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 3,289 Words
  • 4,229 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starcutter - 21. Chapter 21

Gabe trudged into the room to Ryle looking a bit worried. “Are you...okay, Gabriel?”

“I am sore as hell. I swear he hit every part of my entire body with that damn baton, and I only landed one hit. Now I have to get into uniform and join him for some other hell.” Gabe stripped off his sweat drenched clothes, the sight not unpleasant to Ryle.

“Take a quick shower, I'll deal with the dirty ones and lay out your uniform.”

“You don't have to,” the human said with a smile.

“I want to.” Gabe ran his hand through his beloved's crest affectionately and went to shower.

I am so glad he's in my life. I could never want for a better friend or lover. I just wish...I wish I could... Gabe went on wishing as he showered. When he was done, his uniform was out for him, but Ryle was gone. “Back to his duties, I guess.” Gabe was glad that Ryle seemed to be accepted among the cutthroat crew of the ship. He had proven that he was small but no one to mess with in a fight and willing to take a life if needed. “More than me,” Gabe said to himself.

Dressed in his uniform, Gabe marched to the bridge, nodding a greeting to any who saw him. Most returned it with the same level of professionalism, some with less or no nod at all. A few openly greeted him, complimenting how he looked in uniform.

“Spittin' image o' the Cap'n,” said one Marine. Gabe took that as a compliment.

On the bridge, Gabe saw his father was leaning over a console. No one paid him any mind so he simply walked up to where the Captain was and stood there. When he peeked over his shoulder, Gabe saw they were plotting a course that ultimately ended at Andromeda Station. It was a bit meandering, but it would get them there in time for the wedding. “I am here as ordered, Captain.”

“I see that. What do you know of the Yurian Sector?”

“The Yur are a quadrupedal race that look akin to the centaurs of lore but are more akin to wolves than horses. They have a vast network of shipping lanes that very few have access to, and they are rumored to be the only ones who have the technology to transcend even hyperspace, although the Cook's people have something better. They share a border with the Sol Sector and another sector of space I cannot begin to pronounce. Main exports are small machinery components used for pretty much anything, pharmaceutical grade pain killers, and slaves in the form of their criminal populous. Those being prized as mounts by people who wish to seem fierce.”

The Captain nodded. “Very good. We have one stop on the fringe of the sector, one you may not like.”

“Picking up slaves?” Gabe asked.

“Yes. I would like you to oversee them for the two days they will be on board. I believe you and Ryle will be the best choice to keep them calm.”

“I will do as you ask, but not Ryle. The Yur find Canari meat tasty.”

The Captain blinked. “Something I did not know. Should I cancel the contract? It is not all that important.”

“Ryle can stay away from them. With proper caution, the contract could be fulfilled.” Gabe was being clinical about it. He was not happy to deal with slaves, especially ones that would eat his mate if given half a chance.

“I am proud of you, Gabe. Your ability to do what needs doing in spite of personal preference is something I admire in you. Now, take the helm and plot the course.”

Gabe's flush of pride from his father's words was blown away. “You mean...me...pilot the Starcutter.” The helmsman stood and gave Gabe the con. Gabe sat and looked at the controls. “These is way more advanced than the jets. Helmsman, give me a lesson here.”

The Captain watched as Gabe learned to pilot his ship. He had no qualms about asking for assistance when he was out of his league, a trait that the Captain did not share. Gabe also had a knack for picking things up quickly with only a few small errors. And, through all of this, Gabe never once realized that the helmsman was looming over him, crowding him. David had been right.

 

* * *

 

The trip to the Yurian Sector was boring, but that gave more time for Gabe to spar with the Captain. Which was about the worst thing that could happen one morning. The duo were getting into wrestling, having dealt with the baton earlier. “You're a big lad, Gabe, but a smaller man could beat you with the right knowledge.” Gabe nodded, knowing that to be true. “Your best asset is your strength in your holds. Not many people can match you in sheer brute strength. What we need to do is temper that strength with knowledge. Are you ready?”

“I think so. This one will be the worst for me, Father, I won't lie.” He would be restrained by a man, something he never wanted to feel again.

“I understand. You have made so much progress that I think it is time for this. Unlike the rest, though, I will stop if it becomes too much. If you can do this, my son, then I think you can handle anything else.”

They stripped off their already sweaty shirts. Gabe just marveled at how muscular his father was. For a man in his later years, he was a stunning specimen. The Captain went through a few basic foot positions to lead up to some good holds and keep you in control. Why your foot should be here for this one, and how it could be worse when applied to this hold. Once Gabe took a step back to take a breath, the Captain also stepping back to make sure his son was okay.

“I'm okay. I can do this.” Gabe was telling himself that more than anything.

“Ready? I am going to use a series of holds. Break them and counter them. If successful then I will not be able to do much. Keep it at half strength. I'd like to keep my arm in its socket.” Gabe grinned and nodded.

When they came together, the Captain grabbed Gabe's wrist and brought it up behind his back. Gabe felt that the hold was not meant to hurt, just be firm. He rolled forward, hooking his free arm behind his father's head, and they both went over. While Gabe was not able to secure the headlock, he did break the hold.

“Good! If you can't gain advantage, negate disadvantage. Next time try and get your hand around my neck instead of my head. That or grab the hair.” Which the Captain kept his short for reasons such as this.

“Got it. Again?” They went through it a few more times, twice Gabe was able to secure the hold. Then the moved onto the next series.

“Good. I am going to counter the hold you just had me in and get you in another one. We'll go slowly.” The Captain explained and then demonstrated how it was done. Gabe marveled at how much knowledge his father had, knowledge Gabe never would have learned had he stayed on Earth. With the newest hold done and countered, they went on.

“You're doing great. This last one for the day can be dangerous if you don't counter it quickly. Luckily it takes a lot of force to carry it through against a target your size, but it could happen.” The Captain came up behind Gabe and put wrapped his arms around Gabe's torso.

That was when Gabe snapped. The Captain had no warning, no inkling that this was the breaking point. Gabe roared out, his elbow slamming back against his father's head, stunning him. Gabe then threw the Captain bodily, tossing him over his hip. The now terrified lad did not stop there. He pounced on the Captain and began to choke him, the maddened strength in his grip more than the Captain could easily break.

Then Gabe felt something within him. A calming melody that drove away the madness and quelled the raging storm. Gabe looked down at his father's red face and let go quickly. The Captain gasped for air as Gabe scrambled to the wall to put some distance between himself and the man he had just attacked, the man he respected. “Oh god! Father, I am so sorry. I don't know what...”

The Captain sat up slowly, coughing and gasping a bit, holding up his hand to still any more words. “I will...be fine. That was exactly what you should do in a fight.” He looked over at his son to see tears in his eyes. “I will be fine, Gabriel.”

“I could have killed you.”

“Why didn't you?” the Captain asked.

Gabe's mouth worked soundlessly for a moment. “Ryle calmed me down.” The Captain stood, rubbing his neck and gestured for him to continue that thought. “He...he told me what I was doing and that he loved me. He's in the bay with Meg, and he reached me from there.”

“Did he? Are you that strongly linked?”

Gabe shook his head. “No. Not unless we're...um...yeah. Then how?”

“It wasn't Ryle. It was you. It was that spark in you, Son, that stopped you. The part that knows right from wrong, your conscience, whatever you wish to call it. It sang to you because the strongest love you know is from Ryle, but that was all you.” The Captain came over slowly and helped Gabe up. “I am so proud you were able to dispel those demons before you killed me. Truth be told, Gabe, I hope I never get on the receiving end of that choke again.”

Gabe hung his head in shame. “I don't think it's a good idea to do this again.”

“Actually, you're right. Not because you may hurt me, but because you no longer need them.” Gabe looked up. “You fought back. You didn't roll over and take it. You stood up to me. You were strong enough to say enough is enough and made it very clear.” The Captain clapped his son on his shoulder. “From now on, train with the Marines. I have little more I can teach you. Just, no strangling them.”

The two of them went back to their quarters to change for the rest of the day. When Gabe joined the Captain on the bridge, his head was held higher, his posture better. For all to see Gabe was as good as new. Might have some scars, might have some issues, but Gabriel was no longer a victim. “Gabriel, set our course.”

“Helmsman, take to hyper two along heading 160-75-46. When within hailing distance of the destination open a channel.”

“Aye sir.” The entire bridge crew knew that a new generation of captain was in the making. No one thought it funny that a lad of his years was commanding a star ship. Judging by the reddened marks on the Captain's throat, which were openly displayed, Gabriel had more than earned the respect from the notorious Captain.

The journey took until the latter part of the night. The com activating in the room woke Gabe and Ryle. “Go back to sleep,” Gabe said and answered the com. “Gabe speaking.”

“Sir, you asked for a channel to be open when were within distance.”

“On my way.” Gabe dressed groggily, splashed water on his face, and brushed his hair. For all intents and purposes, he looked like he expected to be up at this hour.

On the bridge, he saw his father was waiting in the shadows. “You are acting Captain right now. I'm not going to step in at all.”

Gabe nodded, and against better judgment, sat in the Captain's chair. “Open a channel.” There was a small tone. “This is Acting Captain Gabriel of the Starcutter. Do you copy, Yurian Base II?”

After a slight pause, a picture came up. The Yur was brown with golden highlights in his coat. “This is YB II. What is your business, Acting Captain? I was told that another Captain was coming.”

“He is currently indisposed. I am going to be handling the transfer and transport of the cargo. Four, correct?” Gabe's tone was all business.

“I see. Am I to assume that the Captain knows about this?”

“Seeing as he assigned me the duty personally, then yes. If you care for me to wake him, I will, but then it's your coat that will be skinned, not mine.” Gabe grinned a bit, letting the Yurian see a bit of rogue. Let him think that the thought of the Yurian getting skinned was something not unpleasant.

“There will be no need, Acting Captain Gabriel. The cargo will be ready in docking bay four.” The Yurian swallowed as his ears drooped a bit.

“Very good. Starcutter out.” The com channel was cut, and Gabe sat back. “Well then. Should I bring along a skinning knife to make them even more nervous?”

The crew just laughed and lightly applauded. “Won't be necessary. Your use of veiled threat was nicely done.” The Captain gestured for the First Mate to take over as they headed to the bay.

“Gabriel,” the first mate called. When he turned back, the first mate saluted. “Good job kid.” Gabriel saluted back and marched away.

“Don't look so smug, Gabe.”

“I don't know what you mean, Father.” But Gabe did. The crew had answered his orders without derision or taunt. They had come to respect him at least.

“Do you really think I would skin them for waking me?” The Captain asked with a chuckle.

“God yes. Lord knows I would for something so stupid. Pulling me away from Ryle...might get someone hurt.” They shared a laugh.

Once docked, Gabe strode down the shuttle's ramp to see a Yurian for the first time. Their bodies were so very like a centaur's, but that was where it stopped. They stood another foot above Gabe and were just as heavily muscled as he. The four slaves were collared and looked docile enough.

One Yurian female came over. “You Gabriel?” she asked in a very accented voice. Obviously Terran was not an easy language for her.

“Yes.” She nodded and handed him the controlling box for the slave collars. “Do you have a list of the crimes? I am curious.” She tapped something on the box and up came their crimes. They weren't even all that bad. A little B&E on a store for food, a trespassing. Nothing he would make them slaves for. “Very good.” He tapped the box, which removed the inhibitors on their movement. “Follow me, please.” Without word or much thought, the four followed him. With the transfer signed over, Gabe and the slaves left for the Starcutter.

Gabe disengaged their speech blockers. “I am Gabriel.”

“I don't care who you are, Terran.”

“Good, because once you're with your new master, you won't have to remember me. I hate doing this, but my Captain has ordered that I be in charge of your transport.”

One, a white Shepard, looked a bit confused. “Why?”

“Because. My mate is a former slave. I hate slavery, and looking over your records, I don't see anything worth this hell you're being put through. It's disgusting and revolting.” The four of them looked at each other. “Look, you can hate me for doing this, or you can just ignore me. Whatever. I don't like this at all, but I must do my job. I would take off all the inhibitors and let you roam about the bay I have set up to hold you, but that is not my call.”

“You would do that?” asked the Shepard.

“Yeah. You're sentient beings, capable of knowing that, if you mess up, you could get reprimanded. I won't insult your intelligence. So here is the deal. When we get aboard the Starcutter, I will lead you to the bay, and if you give me your word, I will release all but the most crucial inhibitors. That way you can freely move about and relax. This is the trust I am putting on you. Any of you could rip me apart, and I might not be able to press the button fast enough. You would then die, or be shipped to even worse masters. Ones like my mate's former master who cut of his wings.” They listened to him and started visibly when he said that. “Yeah. They cut off a Canari's wings. I know your people eat them, at least that is what the info I was given says, but imagine someone cutting off your tail and one leg.”

“There...are masters who do this?”

Gabe nodded. “I hate it. It makes me so mad to know someone would hurt someone else like that. My mate gained his freedom from my Captain when he turned twenty-one because he proved to be someone worth more than the collar he wore. That is what I am asking of you. Prove you are more than your crimes, more than your collar, and I can give you two days of freedom. As far as I can legally do anyway.” They said nothing, So Gabe just sat back.

Ten Marines met them in the shuttle bay as an escort. When Gabe said it wouldn't be necessary, Captain Jer said, “Captain's orders, kid.”

“Okay. Stun only. No need to damage them.” Jer nodded, knowing he was not happy to have this assignment. The group made their way to the other side of the ship, which was not too far from Gabe's quarters.

Ryle happened to be just stepping out for his duties when he spotted the Yur. His eyes went to pinpoint, and he readied to leap, but then he saw Gabe and the Marines. When the Yur saw him, one whined. “Ryle,” he said softly.

“You're still alive, Deogee? I thought they killed you.”

Gabe ordered a halt. “You know him, Ryle?”

“Yeah. Served one of my former masters. Not one of the worst, all things considered.” Ryle was a little pink in the face, telling Gabe there was a history here he would rather not get into just now.

“Ryle is your mate?” asked the black one called Deogee.

“That he is.” Gabe's voice could not hide the pride he felt at that fact either.

“Tell me true, Ryle. Is this human trustworthy?”

“Would I mate a human male if he wasn't?” That made a very solid case. Gabe motioned them onward.

With the slaves secured, the Marines went back to their normal duties. “Human...I would give my word that I shall not cause trouble.”

“Thank you Deogee. Is it because of Ryle?” The Yur nodded. Gabe touched the buttons on the box and Deogee was given the most freedoms it would allow. The only thing he could not do was harm someone or go against a master's order. “There. I will see about getting you guys something to eat. If the rest are willing to give your word, then I shall extend the same courtesy.”

Gabe walked away to find them something to eat. When he got back, they gave their words. The two days went by without incident. Few even knew the Yurian were aboard, so little noise did they make. When they left the Starcutter, Deogee made a silent wish that he find a master as kind as Gabe.

Copyright © 2016 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 5
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter! I predict Deogee might show up again, or at least be discussed.

 

​Considering the events of Chapter 21, I might be wrong on my theories of why Ryle would have to go into the hospital. I will compose my thoughts and try to message you in a day or two.

 

How many masters has Ryle had?

Link to comment
On 02/03/2016 05:25 AM, ReaderPaul said:

Great chapter! I predict Deogee might show up again, or at least be discussed.

 

​Considering the events of Chapter 21, I might be wrong on my theories of why Ryle would have to go into the hospital. I will compose my thoughts and try to message you in a day or two.

 

How many masters has Ryle had?

While he has had 4 really bad ones, the life of a slave can have many. While this master is unimportant and probably won't be mentioned, let's say it was the father of one of these 4 bad ones who passed ownership of all assets to his offspring. This is just an off the cuff explanation of some basic politics that govern the story's galaxy.

Link to comment

Weird for the Captain to want Gabe to oversee the slave transport. But he has his reasons I guess.

 

Good for Gabe to break free of his mental prison and deal with the trauma.

Link to comment
18 hours ago, Starrynight22 said:

Have you ever thought of writing Deogees story? 

Honestly, no. I might include it in the semi-planned sequel, but I hadn't thought too much about his story past a rough outline.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..